Put together your best CB-duo of all time

Sonnet XVII

Scirea and Beckenbauer
Don't like this, sorry! :(

And can't think of a less symbiotic All-Time caliber pairing from a systemic/positional standpoint than Scirea and Beckenbauer — magnificent players, obviously, but I wouldn't put them (or indeed other prominent liberos like Passarella) together in the the same central defensive area just as I wouldn't put Di Stéfano and Cruyff or Redondo and Pirlo in the same team considering the overlapping nature of some of their most outstanding individual qualities. The combined effect will most likely be less than the sum of pristine individual parts — structurally analogous to something like Sammer/Blanc instead of intuitively harmonious ones like Sammer/Kohler or Blanc/Desailly.

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Don't like this, sorry! :(

And can't think of a less symbiotic All-Time caliber pairing from a systemic/positional standpoint than Scirea and Beckenbauer — magnificent players, obviously, but I wouldn't put them (or indeed other prominent liberos like Passarella) together in the the same central defensive area just as I wouldn't put Di Stéfano and Cruyff or Redondo and Pirlo in the same team considering the overlapping nature of some of their most outstanding individual qualities. The combined effect will most likely be less than the sum of pristine individual parts — structurally analogous to something like Sammer/Blanc instead of intuitively harmonious ones like Sammer/Kohler or Blanc/Desailly.
No need to be sorry, it's just our opinions.
You are looking for a complimentary pair whereas I've chosen the two best CB's I've seen.
They were such intelligent players that I'd back them to work out the finer details and shine.

Baresi and Nesta are the two best defenders I have personally seen. Put Maldini and Cafu on the flanks and it's a perfect back line.

xoxox

Supports
Juve
Thuram with Maldini would have been amazing

As an actual pairing: Bergomi-Ferri

Jib

Marius Trésor and Lillian Thuram.

Last edited:

ypsipeos

Late 90s till middle 00s many of you say, sometimes you mention Vidic, but at the same time nobody mentions two of the strongest and best defenders of this time, almost unbeatable on the ground, probably better than Vidic : Puyol and Kuffour.

I am not saying that Kuffour should be considered as top 20 defenders of all time, but that 's what you do with Vidic. He is not one of the best of all time, but a very nice pair with Rio. He has nothing against Nesta or Cannavaro.

EDIT : Walter Samuel is also one more player that alongside Rio Ferdinand would have been immense.

Last edited:

Tostao_80

Ramos should be nowhere near the greatest of all time debate. Baresi Nesta for me.

Hazard Warning

Supports
Chelsea
Terry Carvalho :drool:

I’d love to see a back 3 of peak

Desailly Beckenbauer Baresi

Though :drool::drool::drool:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
@harms
Perhaps my last question about Nesta & Kohler was a bit too brief. Against which kinds of forwards would you prefer one over the other & why?

arthurka

Baresi and Stam would have been some pairing.
But I will put Rio into my defense. Rio and Maldini.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
@harms
Perhaps my last question about Nesta & Kohler was a bit too brief. Against which kinds of forwards would you prefer one over the other & why?
Kohler was better in the air and more physical — see his battles against van Basten, for example, so him against classic center forwards. Against more quicker and nimble forwards I would prefer Nesta.

2plus2is4

Supports
Ze Germans
Ramos should be nowhere near the greatest of all time debate.
He won everything and played a vital role in doing so. Being a CB nowadays isn't all about defending and making no mistakes. I can understand why people are rating other defenders higher, if you mainly consider pure defending skills but overall Ramos is a beast and easily one of the best defending players of all time with probably the biggest impact a defender ever had in a series of crucial games.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Beckenbauer and Van Dijk.

I'm kidding I'm kidding! Lovren and Van Dijk.

Needham

Burns and Lloyd at Forest had late 70s Dalglish et al in their back pockets.