Qatar 2022- Latest Corruption Allegations

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Figured it was best to make a new thread for this.

Bild have managed to get a copy of the original investigation by Michael Garcia. If you remember, FIFA decided to doctor it and release an edited copy to the public (showing no corruption)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40412928

Will be more to come on this during the week I imagine.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Should never have been there in the first place. Purely driven by money that decision

Schmiznurf

Caf Representative in Mafia Championship
It was an absolute farce that they were given it in the first place, a blind man could have seen it was down to corruption.

Yakuza_devils

It was obvious to everyone since day one that massive corruption was involved in order for Qatar to win the bid to host WC.

Blatter and team were so arrogant with their power that they thought they could just ignore everyone and no one can touch them. Thanks to FBI and now they are gone.

The right thing to do now for the current leadership of FIFA is to reverse the decision and show the world they are serious to overhaul FIFA. If they let the tournament to proceed in Qatar, this proves that the new leadership is as corrupt as the previous team.

Last edited by a moderator:

El Zoido

If they take it away from Qatar I could see England getting it. One of the few countries equipped to host a major tournament on short notice. Assuming any decision to strip them of it wouldn’t be made before the Russian WC.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
There are plenty of other countries with existing infrastructure in place who can host it, without it having to be played in the winter, which is completely farcical and should’ve disqualified Qatar in the first place.

MDFC Manager

Nah, it'll stay in Qatar.
Yup.

There are plenty of other countries with existing infrastructure in place who can host it, without it having to be played in the winter, which is completely farcical and should’ve disqualified Qatar in the first place.
True, but didn't they win it based on some sci-fi shit of air conditioned stadiums etc.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I wouldn't mind a world cup in Winter.

But only if that was what Qatar based their bid on initially.

This just farcial and shouldn't be allowed to occur. Although it seems that no one is talking against it anymore and it will probably go ahead.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Wait, the world cup will be in December? How would that even work? Midway into the season.
Don't know, man. Probably all leagues would be stopped for a month and a half, which would be pretty fecking shit.

Giving it to Qatar has to be one of the most farcical decisions FIFA has ever made.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
No way fifa run the risk of Qatar suing them for all the money they have spent on infra etc

It will stay there.. . And my guess is that from a security perspective (how the police handle drunk groups of football fans... and the fact that it will be an obvious terror target with so many foreign fans in such a small location) the problems will massively overshadow the whole temperature/ playing in winter stuff

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Qatar’s corruption aside, the winter schedule is even worse as it would disrupt all league and CL fixtures in Europe. That alone should be grounds for disqualification.

RORY65

Qatar’s corruption aside, the winter schedule is even worse as it would disrupt all league and CL fixtures in Europe. That alone should be grounds for disqualification.
The fact that it wasn't even a consideration during the bidding process or question marks about when the tournament would be played didn't influence anyone voting shows how unimportant the actual football was to the bid. When they won the bid to host it originally I assumed that it would never actually be held in Qatar and it would be changed at some point but 7 years on and with so many scandals regarding Qatar having largely been ignored or having no affect on FIFA's attitude, I now don't see the host for 2022 changing.

Yakuza_devils

The summer in China is very hot in most of the country...
Summer in China is absolutely fine for football games especially for late kick off game. It's no different like when the WC was in South or North America. Summer in these countries are very hot but we are not talking about 40-50 C like in Qatar.

whatwha

Sniffs Erricksson’s diarrhea
Doubt anything will be done now, despite the fact that giving it to Qatar was always a complete farce. Disrupting all the leagues for 6 weeks ffs...

If Qatar does have it taken away from them, the United States should get it. They were bidding for it IIRC and can easily host it on relatively short notice.

AshRK

Qatar should not have got it at the first place. It was a ludicrous call to have them host a major tournament when their national team itself isn't half decent. The logical choices should have been 2018 - england and 2022 USA or even australia would have been fine.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
I am afraid that taking it away from them would lead to the sort of retaliation that everyone is terrified of. Yes, terrorist attacks.

LoSpritz

I work for a company building steel structures around the world and one of our projects atm is one of the stadiums for the Qatar world cup. The design phase is complete, and construction is already underway; a beautifully modern stadium, shaped like a bedouin tent.
If this is cancelled, the Qatari stand to lose billions in compensation. My company for example, will be paid whatever happens.. i simply don't see how they will allow this to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raoul

Cal?

CR7 fan
Summer in China is absolutely fine for football games especially for late kick off game. It's no different like when the WC was in South or North America. Summer in these countries are very hot but we are not talking about 40-50 C like in Qatar.
I’m not sure the 35+ weather in most of the bigggest cities even at night: Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, etc are ‘fine’ for football. You see how lackluster the pre-season friendlies are due to the heat.

AshRK

When does the bidding for 2026 starts? Any rumoured bidders?
Usa/Canada/mexico are planning to submit a joint bid. I feel they have a big chance of getting it. As a Canadian resident , I would love for this to happen.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I am afraid that taking it away from them would lead to the sort of retaliation that everyone is terrified of. Yes, terrorist attacks.
I'm afraid that putting hundreds of thousands of (probably drunk) football fans in the middle East will lead to the sort of attacks everyone is terrified of... yes trucks, bombs, beheadings and shootings

Cal?

CR7 fan
Usa/Canada/mexico are planning to submit a joint bid. I feel they have a big chance of getting it. As a Canadian resident , I would love for this to happen.
Why are USA willing to share? They can more than hold it on their own. :confused:

Yakuza_devils

I’m not sure the 35+ weather in most of the bigggest cities even at night: Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong, etc are ‘fine’ for football. You see how lackluster the pre-season friendlies are due to the heat.
Not sure where you get the 35+ (maybe the peak) , the average high temperature for most big cities in China is around 30. China is also trying to bid for WC 2026 and weather is not a big concern.

BTW, in many countries in Asia 35+ weather is normal and many sports are played in this condition.