Qatar 2022- Latest Corruption Allegations

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Not sure where you get the 35+ (maybe the peak) , the average high temperature for most big cities in China is around 30. China is also trying to bid for WC 2026 and weather is not a big concern.

BTW, in many countries in Asia 35+ weather is normal and many sports are played in this condition.
Bejing around 27 in July.. . Plus games likely to kick off very late to accommodate European viewing times

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Why are USA willing to share? They can more than hold it on their own. :confused:
Probably because it increases the attractiveness of the bid to allow others to participate and allow an entire continent to be involved.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Why are USA willing to share? They can more than hold it on their own. :confused:
Why not?

What is the benefit to hosting it on your own really?

As long as FIFA arrange a co-hosted tournament properly, each of the USA, Canada and Mexico could play their first 4 or 5 games (assuming they get that far) in their respective countries.

It's also easier to travel from New York to Toronto than it is from New York to LA.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Would love to see Australia given hosting rights if they're taken away from Qatar.

MDFC Manager

I am afraid that taking it away from them would lead to the sort of retaliation that everyone is terrified of. Yes, terrorist attacks.
I'm afraid that putting hundreds of thousands of (probably drunk) football fans in the middle East will lead to the sort of attacks everyone is terrified of... yes trucks, bombs, beheadings and shootings
I hope both of you are being sarcastic, because neither of that is likely to happen.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I hope both of you are being sarcastic, because neither of that is likely to happen.
You think there won't be drunk fans... and you think the fans won't be seen as a huge terrorist target for whatever version of al-Qaeda or Isis around at the time...
In a country that is widely reported to be one of the main funders of as Donald trump may say radical Islamic terrorism.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_and_state-sponsored_terrorism
I think your being naive if you think there isn't a very high possibility of something happening

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Won't watch one second of that tournament. Thankfully I've got other sporting interests to keep me busy during 30 days. The corruption part is bad enough, but what really ticks me off is moving it to December. FFS if it's too hot during the summer, then don't arrange it there at all! I don't remember Greenland applying to host a World Cup.

MDFC Manager

You think there won't be drunk fans... and you think the fans won't be seen as a huge terrorist target for whatever version of al-Qaeda or Isis around at the time...
In a country that is widely reported to be one of the main funders of as Donald trump may say radical Islamic terrorism.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qatar_and_state-sponsored_terrorism
I think your being naive if you think there isn't a very high possibility of something happening
Qatari nationals fund and harbour terrorist cells.
Qatar undoubtedly supports and funds terrorists. Which ironically makes it one of safest places to avoid being targeted by terrorists.

OverratedOpinion

No way fifa run the risk of Qatar suing them for all the money they have spent on infra etc
I would be interested to see how they played that. I can't picture them being very eager to put any more light on the whole debacle in front of the courts with the human rights violations that have been highlighted.

Alabaster Codify7

Is there terrorism in Qatar?

No, and that's what makes me suspicious of the emirate countries. If you're a radical Muslim looking to lash out at western culture and values, where better to target than the plastic, consumer central, gaudy, blingy, cities like Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Muslim territory with the flagrant, materialistic westernised culture seeping out of every pore. It's right on the doorstep and a terrorist attack at say, a bar or club popular with tourists, businessmen and expats would score a huge bodycount of 'infidels'.

So why are there never even attempted attacks in these places?

I'm not saying these countries are directly behind terrorism, what I'm saying is they know who these people are and how to find them with the click of their fingers. And these terrorists know better than to cross them, because they know they'll be hunted down and dealt with quickly if they bring trouble to these countries.

Last edited by a moderator:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
No, and that's what makes me suspicious of the emirate countries. If you're a radical Muslim looking to lash out at western culture and values, where better to target than the plastic, consumer central, gaudy, blingy, cities like Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Muslim territory with the flagrant, materialistic westernised culture seeping out of every pore. It's right on the doorstep and a terrorist attack at say, a bar or club popular with tourists, businessmen and expats would score a huge bodycount of 'infidels'.

So why are there never even attempted attacks in these places?

I'm not saying these countries are directly behind terrorism, what I'm saying is they know who these people are and how to find them with the click of their fingers. And these terrorists know better than to cross them, coz they know they'll be hunted down and dealt with quickly if they bring trouble to these countries.
Was about to make this very point. You're probably just as likely to get attacked in Europe.

GiddyUp

I work for a company building steel structures around the world and one of our projects atm is one of the stadiums for the Qatar world cup. The design phase is complete, and construction is already underway; a beautifully modern stadium, shaped like a bedouin tent.
If this is cancelled, the Qatari stand to lose billions in compensation. My company for example, will be paid whatever happens.. i simply don't see how they will allow this to happen.
What's the plan for the stadium after the tournament. Decay I suppose.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
I would LOVE for it to be moved.

It's a fecking disgrace.

I won't even watch it if it goes ahead there.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Usa/Canada/mexico are planning to submit a joint bid. I feel they have a big chance of getting it. As a Canadian resident , I would love for this to happen.
That would be very cool.

World Cup North America

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Terrorism is probably lower on the list of objectionable things about the WC going there. The fact that they are a country of 200,000 people who have feck all to do with football and bribed their way into getting the tournament, all the while compelling the rest of the world to disrupt their league and CL calendars to accommodate their corrupt self-esteem campaign of hosting an important global event is probably close to the top.

GiddyUp

I believe it's been designed to drop down to something like a 30k capacity venue (presumably music and / smaller sporting events)?
I hope so. A concrete plan for new infrastructure and stadia after a tournament should be just as important when bidding for something like the WC.

Phurry

Furry Fecker
Don't know, man. Probably all leagues would be stopped for a month and a half, which would be pretty fecking shit.

Giving it to Qatar has to be one of the most farcical decisions FIFA has ever made.
And we get thoroughly pissed off with just the current international breaks, that’s going to be fecking garbage.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag
Qatar undoubtedly supports and funds terrorists. Which ironically makes it one of safest places to avoid being targeted by terrorists.
I was saying they'd retaliate if it's pulled away from them. Both financially and with attacks, it fits the narrative.

Other poster was talking about domestic terrorism in Qatar.

I was thinking attacks against the host nation that replaces them.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
When Blatter announced, didnt he say the decison was irrefutable and unchangeable?

Even if FIFA did manage to find a way out of its legal bind, surely the compensation demands would make such a decison impossible?

RonW

Qatar shouldn't have never been awarded this world cup and nor should have been Russia in 2018. This smells of corruption and bribery to win votes in both the bids.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
When Blatter announced, didnt he say the decison was irrefutable and unchangeable?

Even if FIFA did manage to find a way out of its legal bind, surely the compensation demands would make such a decison impossible?
Since there was obvious corruption the Qataris should be made to take the loss since the entire bid was built and marketed atop a mountain of bribery.

marlowe78

Sure, here are the most recent photos.. http://stadiumdb.com/constructions/qat/al_bayt_stadium

And here is what it will look like when finished..

Yeah, the problem now is that things are too far along IMO for FIFA to just take away the rights. They would've needed to do that a short time after the selection was made, before the developers actually started breaking ground. The situation is too complicated now to back out.

I think the tournament will happen as planned but FIFA should allow countries to just not compete for 2022 if they decide to, with assurance that there won't be any penalties. If a country decides to play in the qualifiers and then go to the tournament, they can go, and if they don't, then they don't, and that's fine.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Since there was obvious corruption the Qataris should be made to take the loss since the entire bid was built and marketed atop a mountain of bribery.
The corruption was shared/led with FIFA.

Just because FIFA has new management does not exonerate them.

So I cant see how FIFA can implement what you suggest.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Not sure where you get the 35+ (maybe the peak) , the average high temperature for most big cities in China is around 30. China is also trying to bid for WC 2026 and weather is not a big concern.

BTW, in many countries in Asia 35+ weather is normal and many sports are played in this condition.
I live in Asia, I understand you "can" play football in 30C and humid conditions, just doesn't make for good football.

Also, are China allowed to bid for 2026 unless Qatar loses 2022?

Last edited:

Cal?

CR7 fan
Why not?

What is the benefit to hosting it on your own really?

As long as FIFA arrange a co-hosted tournament properly, each of the USA, Canada and Mexico could play their first 4 or 5 games (assuming they get that far) in their respective countries.

It's also easier to travel from New York to Toronto than it is from New York to LA.
If there's supposed to be economic benefits to hosting it, surely it magnifies the benefits the more games any country gets? :confused:

I do realise that it's closer from NY to Toronto, but are they going to make it a East Coast WC?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
The corruption was shared/led with FIFA.

Just because FIFA has new management does not exonerate them.

So I cant see how FIFA can implement what you suggest.
It was done with individual members of FIFA who I'm guessing have all been sacked by now (if they haven't, they should be). Qatar's role is the bigger crime since it was they who initiated the process, and in so doing, prevented other countries who spent considerable sums in their own bids, from being successful. Therefore the Qataris should not only have the WC revoked, they should also eat any financial investment they made and should be publicly humiliated as having bribed their way to the winning bid. That way future countries who may think they can follow suit will be given a glimpse of what could happen if they cheat.

Last edited:

Cal?

CR7 fan
It was done with individual members of FIFA who I'm guessing have all been sacked by now (if they're not, they should be). Qatar's role is the bigger crime since it was they who initiated the process, and in so doing, prevented other countries who spent considerable sums in their own bids, from being successful. Therefore the Qataris should not only have the WC revoked, they should also eat any financial investment they made and should be publicly humiliated as having bribed their way to the winning bid. That way future countries who may think they can follow suit will be given a glimpse of what could happen if they cheat.
This, letting Qatar keep it just makes a mockery of the whole process.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
It was done with individual members of FIFA who I'm guessing have all been sacked by now (if they're not, they should be). Qatar's role is the bigger crime since it was they who initiated the process, and in so doing, prevented other countries who spent considerable sums in their own bids, from being successful. Therefore the Qataris should not only have the WC revoked, they should also eat any financial investment they made and should be publicly humiliated as having bribed their way to the winning bid. That way future countries who may think they can follow suit will be given a glimpse of what could happen if they cheat.
Perhaps you are morally correct, but I'd like how Qaters right to host the tournament can be legally revoked. As I said before it was stated that is would be legally impossible to revoke the bid, so I imagine the legal paperwork is watertight. Anyone ever seen it?

And so, practically speaking, which body or court is required to make such a decision and how long would such process take? Given the people and sensitivities involved, can one be certain this process would be immune from nefarious lobbying and influences? FIFA would also have to be punished, no matter that employee's involved no longer work there.

You will know better than me how massive can of worms it is, involving many very powerful people, whose interest far exceed the game of football, and so the politics involved are very complex and would trigger off another whole round of unintended consequences.