Qatar 2022- Latest Corruption Allegations

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Cal? post: 21574010 said:
This, letting Qatar keep it just makes a mockery of the whole process.
Im quite certain that virtually every nation who has hosted the world cup made a similar mockery of the process.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Perhaps you are morally correct, but I'd like how Qaters right to host the tournament can be legally revoked. As I said before it was stated that is would be legally impossible to revoke the bid, so I imagine the legal paperwork is watertight. Anyone ever seen it?

And so, practically speaking, which body or court is required to make such a decision and how long would such process take? Given the people and sensitivities involved, can one be certain this process would be immune from nefarious lobbying and influences? FIFA would also have to be punished, no matter that employee's involved no longer work there.

You will know better than me how massive can of worms it is, involving many very powerful people, whose interest far exceed the game of football, and so the politics involved are very complex and would trigger off another whole round of unintended consequences.
The legal basis for revoking it would be evidence that it was done via corruption and bribery, thereby defaming the credibility of football. Corruption and bribery are generally illegal in most developed legal systems so it shouldn't be that difficult to build a case against them. Fifa could also just take the bid away from them and give it to another nation then deal with the legal issues as they arise.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
If there's supposed to be economic benefits to hosting it, surely it magnifies the benefits the more games any country gets? :confused:

I do realise that it's closer from NY to Toronto, but are they going to make it a East Coast WC?
They could have the event around several axes:

NE: New York, Boston, Montreal, Toronto
West Coast: LA, the bay, Seattle, Vancouver
South: Houston, Dallas, Mexico City
Midwest: Indianapolis, Chicago, Detroit, Columbus

BTG

If there's supposed to be economic benefits to hosting it, surely it magnifies the benefits the more games any country gets? :confused:

I do realise that it's closer from NY to Toronto, but are they going to make it a East Coast WC?
My guess would be Mexico City hosts whatever group Mexico is in same with Toronto/Montreal and Canada then Split a group between say New York City and Washington DC or even Boston. Then split a group between Seattle and Vancouver. Then Los Angeles and Miami.

Maybe Kansas City since the have a rabid following of the sport there.

Done right it could work really well. 3 teams could get a home pitch advantage in the group stages.

JSArsenal

I don't understand, everyone knows the bid was corrupt, so why haven't any of the National FAs come out and said that they are boycotting this tournament?

It wouldn't matter where the tournament is being held if the best teams refuse to play in it. That alone would force FIFA to change the location as no one would want to watch a WC without the likes of Germany, England, Brazil, USA or Spain.

UEFA should be at the front of any boycott, seeing as a winter world cup would hit them hardest in terms of rescheduling the domestic and European fixture list for around two-three years.

Or am I missing some law that requires national teams to play in the world cup or face sanctions if they refuse?

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I don't understand, everyone knows the bid was corrupt, so why haven't any of the National FAs come out and said that they are boycotting this tournament?

It wouldn't matter where the tournament is being held if the best teams refuse to play in it. That alone would force FIFA to change the location as no one would want to watch a WC without the likes of Germany, England, Brazil, USA or Spain.

Or am I missing some law that requires national teams to play in the world cup or face sanctions if they refuse?
They are letting the legal isssues take its course.

I assume Qatar will be made an offer they cannot refuse. ;)

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

UEFA should be at the front of any boycott, seeing as a winter world cup would hit them hardest in terms of rescheduling the domestic and European fixture list for around two-three years.

Did you watch England's last game?

Sunny Jim

Warsaw...that's too far away from Edinburgh...

$$$

devil in me

What I've been wondering too. Get all the big boys to boycott and Fifa would have no choice but to move it from Qatar.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Why not?

What is the benefit to hosting it on your own really?

As long as FIFA arrange a co-hosted tournament properly, each of the USA, Canada and Mexico could play their first 4 or 5 games (assuming they get that far) in their respective countries.

It's also easier to travel from New York to Toronto than it is from New York to LA.
Would that mean three places for the hosts though... Seems a lot

JSArsenal

Did you watch England's last game?
Man, what would we do with WC without England. Without USA...

Can't bear to imagine that.
:lol:

I was more referring to the fans rather than the quality of any of the teams in particular. FIFA would not want a world cup without those travelling fans, not to mention loss of viewership from a boycott.

Any boycott wouldn't have to be limited to just the teams, if sponsors started pulling out on grounds of human rights violations, then FIFA would have to take notice. If all they care about is money, then talk to them in a language they understand.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Fifa should probably consider not allowing authoritarian states to host the tournament at all since they are ripe with corruption.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Give it to a country that doesn't even believe in the game & had it last in 1994, yet ignore the home of football who last hosted it in 1966.
There are plenty of Americans that like football, its one of the biggest and diverse countries in the world. Just because it's not their most popular sport doesn't mean there isn't appetite for the game in America.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
England will have a very good shout if they do take it from Qatar.

England could have everything ready in a matter of months, if not weeks.

Every match sold out.

Would be a superb tournament.

Rafateria

Summer in China is absolutely fine for football games especially for late kick off game. It's no different like when the WC was in South or North America. Summer in these countries are very hot but we are not talking about 40-50 C like in Qatar.
Yes we are. I live in Shanghai and July - September was rarely below 35C and up to 43C. There is also very little difference between night and daytime temperatures compared to some countries (usually only ca. 5C and humidity is at it's highest).

Spring (March - April) or Autumn (October - November) would be perfect but Summer is hot (didn't stop the Olympics in Beijing though).

Northern China (Beijing) is also very hot in Summer but temperatures cool quicker as the seasons change. Southern China is usually even hotter than Shanghai (East Central on the coast).

Rafateria

Not sure where you get the 35+ (maybe the peak) , the average high temperature for most big cities in China is around 30. China is also trying to bid for WC 2026 and weather is not a big concern.

BTW, in many countries in Asia 35+ weather is normal and many sports are played in this condition.
Cal is right. You are wrong I'm afraid. Where temperatures are concerned. Many games are played in the evening.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
A further disgrace is that it was bid as a summer tournament with "air conditioned stadia" and then as soon as they won, they said it would have to be in winter.

Utterly scandalous.

So the entire football calendar needs to be upended so the WC can be hosted in a micro country that is a desert.

I think you will see BIG pressure from the premier league and UEFA over this issue.

The PL is a multi-billion dollar industry. The idea it should cancel the schedule it has had for over a hundred years to accommodate his shambles is ridiculous.

Rafateria

I was saying they'd retaliate if it's pulled away from them. Both financially and with attacks, it fits the narrative.

Other poster was talking about domestic terrorism in Qatar.

I was thinking attacks against the host nation that replaces them.
I'm not sure about the attacks (at least not as reprisal). Qatar are not well liked amongst Arab nations who might enjoy seeing their loss of face.

MDFC Manager

Lots of "England/USA/etc can easily host it at short notice"

I'm not so sure. Stadia might ready but there's a considerable financial implication too, which the governments in question may or may not be willing to allow.

A WC in England should be cracking though.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Of course it is. The world's politics are built upon it. Whether overt or covert.
Bribery is illegal in most countries, unless of course you don't like an a democratic state in which case its more common and legally "overlooked".

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Lots of "England/USA/etc can easily host it at short notice"

I'm not so sure. Stadia might ready but there's a considerable financial implication too, which the governments in question may or may not be willing to allow.

A WC in England should be cracking though.
It would indeed, especially since England got screwed by this whole Russia/Qatar thing.

Devil81

Just take it off them already, the corruption and bungs aside. It makes zero sense to hold a football tournament in a desert!!

We don't want a winter world cup and we don't want players being pushed to the extreme in insane conditions. What will happen is the football will turn pedestrian and boring.

Cal?

CR7 fan
England will have a very good shout if they do take it from Qatar.

England could have everything ready in a matter of months, if not weeks.

Every match sold out.

Would be a superb tournament.
You could say the same about quite a few countries. England, Germany, France, Spain, USA, Japan...

Rafateria

They could have the event around several axes:

NE: New York, Boston, Montreal, Toronto
West Coast: LA, the bay, Seattle, Vancouver
South: Houston, Dallas, Mexico City
Midwest: Indianapolis, Chicago, Detroit, Columbus
I'm not sure FIFA could even give it to a combined bid from 3 CONCACAF countries all of whom would require byes into the finals .. and what about the other CONCACAF countries ? They would need to be given a chance to qualify too. So FOUR CONCACAF countries ? Unless they expand the number of countries (as has been mooted) then this would surely be a non-starter.

hobbers

Shame they won't just cancel the 2022 world cup entirely, would be well deserved from Fifa's point of view, and Qatar obviously deserves being left high and dry with half built stadia to demolish.

Rafateria

Bribery is illegal in most countries, unless of course you don't like an a democratic state in which case its more common and legally "overlooked".
If you don't believe that MNCs run virtually all of the Western world then, IMHO, that's naive. Money runs power and MNCs have it and utilise it, politicians are merely puppets, whether they like and agree to it or not.