Which owners would you prefer?

• Qatar

Votes: 961 62.8%
  • Ineos

Votes: 570 37.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Verminator

The fact that they are buying only the Glazers share, likely means that they won’t put their own money in the club. That is further evidenced by them not clearing the debt.

Thing is, Glazers own only around 70% of the club. Now if the new owner would own 100% of the club, it would make sense for them to put their own money in clearing the debt, stadium and infrastructure upgrade etc. for example, if they pay the debt of 600m or whatever it is, they lose 600m but the club’s value increases by 600m so their finances do not change. By a similar argument, if they invest 1B in the new stadium, you would expect that the club’s value increases by 1B.

Now the issue is when they own only 70% of the club. They invest 1B in the new stadium and the club’s value increases by 1B, but they own only 70% of that, so they actually lost 300M. In other words, they bought 700M for 1B, not a very good business.

Qatar saying that they are bidding for 100% of the club and clarifying that they will clear the debt, while Ineos clarifying that they are bidding for 69% of the club and won’t clear the debt is a reason on itself why Qatari would be much mote beneficial for us. Worst case they pay the debt (but do not put further money in the club) is better than the best case of Ineos (not clearing the debt and not putting their own money in the club).
Good post.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ted-out-of-hand-ineos-boehly-roman-abramovich

In the Chelsea sale (which was rejected by Raine, who are handling this sale as well), Jim wanted the full club and promised to invest £1.75 billion over 10 years.

His approach to us is glaringly different.

romufc

Sorry? I never said I was an expert. You’ve linked a 10 year old Bleacher report article, consider me shown. Nothing at all has changed in the last 10 years I’m sure. We are paying back at effectively 4.8% in 2022.

The idea is that the stadium increases revenue so much that it pays for itself over a period of 30 odd years. This what almost every other business has to do to grow.

If you want to discuss the debt the Glazers have put on us, I seriously don’t know where to start because there is such limited detail from Ineos. Very much a different issue to the stadium.
The reason I showed you a 10 year old report is because that is when the long term loan was agreed.

I hope you understand what long term means. They dont change the interest every year in a long term loan :lol: :lol:

Also, your words "
there are different kinds of debt, it makes far more sense to take a low interest loan and pay it off long term with the extra revenue, than it does to spend your available cash.

That’s not what the Glazers have done, that is a very different kind of debt for a very different reason. "

I am asking you what is the different kind of debt the Glazers had to Ineos, you said it not me.

I would have liked to see the poll differentiate between fans from the area with lifelong attachment to the club. I would be shocked if the poll would be so in favour of the Qataris then.

Kylar Stern

I’m talking about the stadium debt. The Ineos loan isn’t really a concern as the debt is not held against the club.
Its debt that has to be paid though, its not going to just sit quietly in the background and be allowed to spiral out of control year on year whilst SJR/Ineos pump funds into the clubs infrastructure is it?

If the money doesnt come directly from the club, it will certainly come out of whatever the owners would be willing to spend on the club going forward which again leaves us standing still.

Verminator

I am much more in favor of Qatar but I do not think this is correct. Jim and Ineos are almost the same thing, he owns around 70% of it, it is not a public company with many shareholders. Just him, and two others (who combined own around 30-35% of it). Of course, his successors (I assume his wife/kids) might not share the passion for United. The company’s finances are very healthily though, no doubt there.
I mean his local boy persona.
If it wasn't for his image being linked, how romantic does it sound?
It would be a petrochemical company, backed by investment bankers.
This will be the situation when he dies.

Kylar Stern

I would have liked to see the poll differentiate between fans from the area with lifelong attachment to the club. I would be shocked if the poll would be so in favour of the Qataris then.
Its 14 miles from my front door to OT, and I've lived in and around the area all my life.

Revan

Assumptionman
I don't know if I agree. How can you give Qatar your money and support, whilst they do things to people in their own country that goes against the fabric of our society and beliefs? At best, you'd have to be an 'out of sight, out of mind' person and be so desperate to have the best team and players in the world to get over this issue. You say it's 'the best for Man Utd', but that's because all you're thinking about is money, Mbappe, Bellingham, CL Trophies etc etc. It's not the best for the image of Man Utd, or the female supporters of Man Utd, or the Women's football team, or the LGBTQ supporters/staff. It's not best for them, is it? Football is about more than a balance sheet.
There have been absolutely no problems with PSG’s women squad (which is better than ours) or with their LGBTQ+ community. We can expect something similar, in that aspect, for United.

NLunited

Our brand is Manchester United Football Club, the most successful English team and famous across the world for the trophies we win, the football we play, and the players we attract. On purely sporting matters, which bid seems more likely to you to provide a platform to continue that brand?

Not sure what your other comments are about as supporting a Qatar owned football team doesn't suggest anything about my views on women or LBGTQ+ rights, or those of the owner for that matter. There's also nothing to say they will (or even need to) breach FFP rules, or go balls deep with the (alleged) large scale accountancy fraud that City have been accused of partaking in as there is no need for some rapid acceleration of Manchester United as a brand, were already there - we just need to ensure that debt is removed and money is spent in areas its sorely needed like infrastructure (which doesnt breach FFP rules, it actually helps with them!) whilst the club takes care of itself with on pitch matters.

This is exactly what my post was about - its not a good look for anyone to demonise the section of the fanbase that is open to a Qatar takeover, in the same way you cant demonise those who would rather it didnt happen. personal views are personal views and my view is that the Qatar bid is at this moment in time the one that looks to offer the best chance of success for the club long term, based on the information that we currently have.
My view is that it is by far the worst thing we can do.

You are sidestepping the LGTB+ issues.
The women team and the Rainbow Devils have already spoken out against the Qatar bid, with their concerns.

mu4c_20le

There have been absolutely no problems with PSG’s women squad (which is better than ours) or with their LGBTQ+ community. We can expect something similar, in that aspect, for United.
He's talking about giving YOUR money and YOUR support to the club while they do terrible things in THEIR country (Qatar).

PSG fans suffer from the same dilemma, we have a few here who already shed light on the subject of sportswashing.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Its debt that has to be paid though, its not going to just sit quietly in the background and be allowed to spiral out of control year on year whilst SJR/Ineos pump funds into the clubs infrastructure is it?

If the money doesnt come directly from the club, it will certainly come out of whatever the owners would be willing to spend on the club going forward which again leaves us standing still.
There is a scenario where Ratcliffe could be willing to pay 200m/year over 30 years to service the debt that he contracted. The issue is how long are the terms of that loan and what happens when Ratcliffe passes away before his 100th birthday?

estel_manutd

I do not appreciate the implication of this comment. I agree that match-going fans are special and deserve more of a say in the process but the implication that fans from elsewhere do not share the same lifelong attachment to the club is not appropriate. Furthermore, more substantively on your point that match-going fans might feel differently about Qatar, Gary Neville said that in his poll of roughly 200 people at OT before the game yesterday, 70% wanted the Qataris.

Dan_F

The reason I showed you a 10 year old report is because that is when the long term loan was agreed.

I hope you understand what long term means. They dont change the interest every year in a long term loan :lol: :lol:

Also, your words "
there are different kinds of debt, it makes far more sense to take a low interest loan and pay it off long term with the extra revenue, than it does to spend your available cash.

That’s not what the Glazers have done, that is a very different kind of debt for a very different reason. "

I am asking you what is the different kind of debt the Glazers had to Ineos, you said it not me.
https://www.gurufocus.com/term/Effe...C#:~:text=2022 was $781.7 Mil.,2022 was 4.80%.

That looks like 4.8% to me, but again, not a financial expert.

Jesus Christ. The Glazers took out a loan, to finance the takeover, against the club. The club is liable for the debt. SJR is using Ineos for the loan. The club is not liable. leveraged buyouts are not possible now as far as I am aware. This is also different to potential stadium debt because we would have an asset that generates higher income, used to pay off the debt, without the club being worse off. That obviously didn’t happen with the Glazers debt because even though they grew the asset, they pocket all the income through dividends, instead of paying off the debt.

Spoony

The People's President
There is a scenario where Ratcliffe could be willing to pay 200m/year over 30 years to service the debt that he contracted. The issue is how long are the terms of that loan and what happens when Ratcliffe passes away before his 100th birthday?

Just how likely is that? Because that's an insane amount.

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
I said low moral standards. I stand by that. It wound you up at least.

What would you think about being bought by less glamorous dictators like Kim Jong-Un, Assad, Putin, Berdimuhammedow, Win Myint etc.
Where do you draw the moral line? Genocide?
Why isn't oppression, discrimination and dictatorship in it self enough for you to say no to their money?
Whats your view on Saudi Arabia pumping millions upon millions into the club over the years?

JPRouve

Scout
Just how likely is that? Because that's an insane amount.
Well if he borrows the entirety of 6bn it would take 30 installments of 200m, that's without interests.

Revan

Assumptionman
He's talking about giving YOUR money and YOUR support to the club while they do terrible things in THEIR country (Qatar).

PSG fans suffer from the same dilemma, we have a few here who already shed light on the subject of sportswashing.
The money we give to the club will be spend on the club. While possible, it is extremely unlikely that they will take money out of the club.

Cloud7

This is a very serious concern. Let's say JR does have the best interests of the club at heart, what happens when he's gone and someone else has to take over? What if they just see the club as a way to make money/not invest in.

Arsenal had something of a reverse, where Stan's son seems far more invested in the team than he was.

Kylar Stern

My view is that it is by far the worst thing we can do.

You are sidestepping the LGTB+ issues.
The women team and the Rainbow Devils have already spoken out against the Qatar bid, with their concerns.
They have, and their ask is for any prospective owner to 'commit to making the sport for everyone'; if the Qataris are successful I fully expect them to provide these commitments, and to go on to support and fund the womens team and support LGTBQ+ rights, as Qatar already have at PSG.

Revan

Assumptionman
And the Elliot deal could cost more couldn't it?
Elliot will have higher interest than the banks. From banks like JPMorgan etc, you could probably expect 6% interest right now, so a 5B debt over 20 years would cost around 8.6B or around 430m/year.

VixV

It feels like choosing between a woman you can’t afford to divorce, she offers familiarity but is slowly going to bleed you dry (Ineos) or a stunning new girlfriend (Qatar) who gives you a great time, but has a past and could drop you like a hot potato if she finds something new and more interesting.

That’s where my head is at. :lol:

Spoony

The People's President
Elliot will have higher interest than the banks. From banks like JPMorgan etc, you could probably expect 6% interest right now, so a 5B debt over 20 years would cost around 8.6B or around 430m/year.
How the hell is the club to supposed to pay that off?

MegadrivePerson

Saddened that so many people are in support of Qatar.

For years most fans have been saying they just better owners than the Glaziers, yet when it comes to it people are happy that we sell our soul to the devil.

Under Qatar ownership any success will feel incredibly hollow.

romufc

https://www.gurufocus.com/term/EffectiveInterestRate/Man Utd/Effective-Interest-Rate-on-Debt-/Manchester-United-PLC#:~:text=2022 was $781.7 Mil.,2022 was 4.80%.

That looks like 4.8% to me, but again, not a financial expert.

Jesus Christ. The Glazers took out a loan, to finance the takeover, against the club. The club is liable for the debt. SJR is using Ineos for the loan. The club is not liable. leveraged buyouts are not possible now as far as I am aware. This is also different to potential stadium debt because we would have an asset that generates higher income, used to pay off the debt, without the club being worse off. That obviously didn’t happen with the Glazers debt because even though they grew the asset, they pocket all the income through dividends, instead of paying off the debt.
Right, so on one hand I am told by you wait till the details and on another hand you are telling me how SJR is going to finance it?

So you think that all the income was pocketed? So you actually think Manutd make £11m profit a year? In 10 years they taken 1.2bn dividends, if that is all the profit, its not going to change much is it?

Finally, the details came out that SJR will use banks like Goldman Sacks to clear the debt, nothing on how he will finance the 5bn to buy the club?

Telsim

INEOS will take on debt to purchase the club, and they will service it. They will also service the current debt. They will also invest into the squad and the infrastructure, despite not owning the entire club. They won't take dividends. INEOS will continue to do all of this even if Ratcliffe is no more, because they will be "proud owners".

Pass me whatever you are having, because this is proper dreamland stuff. Delusional.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
0.1 miles from the ground
I went to the first ever Newton Heath match
I have given every penny I've earnt to the club
I had my name legally changed to Manchester Ferguson Busby United Charlton

I voted for Qatar

JPRouve

Scout
And the Elliot deal could cost more couldn't it?
With the Glazers it would cost less since Joel and Avram own a third of the club. With someone else it could cost way more. Ratcliffe can sell some of his assets to finance the purchase faster, from the outside Ratcliffe and the Qatar bids seems to be the least damaging and potentially positive but they all come with big issues.

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
INEOS would be a sugar daddy scenario.
I’m not sure what exactly constitutes a ‘sugar daddy’, but there’s still risk and jeopardy involved with INEOS ownership as the company can go bust.

There’s effectively none involved with state ownership, outside of boredom or, in this particular case, the prospect of Qatari involvement in some sort of regional war/conflict.

Revan

Assumptionman
How the hell is the club to supposed to pay that off?
It won’t. It will likely be covered by Ineos, but then they might decide to take some money out of the club. With them owning just 70% of the club, it will also mean that they likely won’t spend their own money in the club (as I explained in some previous post, it does not make sense to put money in the club where a large part of it is owned by other people, in this case it would be the equivalent of buying 70cents for 1 dollar), and they already mentioned that they won’t clear the current debt.

Local fan or whatever, but from what we have seen so far, the Qatar bid looks much better for United.

NB: I think Elliot is just Glazers trying to show that they are not eager to sell. There is also some chance that it might be related to two of the Glazers wanting to (partially) buy the other 3, which is by far the worst case scenario and essentially worse than the original takeover by them. In that case, we will be literally fecked.

Spoony

The People's President
It won’t. It will likely be covered by Ineos, but then they might decide to take some money out of the club. With them owning just 70% of the club, it will also mean that they likely won’t spend their own money in the club (as I explained in some previous post, it does not make sense to put money in the club where a large part of it is owned by other people, in this case it would be the equivalent of buying 70cents for 1 dollar), and they already mentioned that they won’t clear the current debt.

Local fan or whatever, but from what we have seen so far, the Qatar bid looks much better for United.

I meant the Elliot and co one. That one doesn make financial sense.