QF2: Wales vs Belgium

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
'We're like their bogey team' - Gareth Bale claims Wales have edge over Belgium ahead of Euro 2016 clash

Gareth Bale feels Wales could have a psychological advantage over Euro 2016 quarter-final opponents Belgium after beating them in qualifying.

Wales are unbeaten in their last three games against the star-studded Red Devils, and won their last meeting 12 months ago when Bale scored the winner in a Euro 2016 qualifier in Cardiff.

"We're like their bogey team, aren't we?" said Bale, referring to that 1-0 victory at the Cardiff City Stadium and two previous draws in Brussels.

"Hopefully that edge gets into their heads - you never know.

"We will definitely draw on those qualifiers, it gives us more knowledge on them.

"We know how to play against them and how they play.

"We know it will be a different game from the qualifiers and it is a more pressurised situation.

"But we understand what they are about, how they work, and we will hone our game plan to try and stop them but help our attack."

Wales are the last home nation left in the tournament after beating Northern Ireland in the last 16 and witnessing England's elimination to Iceland on Monday night.

But Bale insists that Wales are determined to extend an adventure which has already seen them emulate the 1958 side, which reached the quarter-final of the World Cup before losing to Brazil.

"We have done well and the country is proud of us even if we do get knocked out," said Bale.

"But we want to keep going, we want to keep riding this wave.

"We want to go as far as we can and try to win the tournament.

"We understand the position we are in and everything else goes to the back of our mind.

"It is all about trying to beat Belgium and getting to the semis."

Both sides have had injury concerns in the build-up to the Lille clash on Friday night.

Wales skipper Ashley Williams damaged a shoulder in the victory over Northern Ireland, while Belgium captain Eden Hazard complained of a leg problem after the 4-0 win against Hungary and has not trained since.

But both players are expected to play in Lille and the presence of Chelsea forward Hazard will provide a fascinating head-to-head clash with Bale.

But Bale said: "A lot of people will speak about things like that, but I am sure he would think the same as me - this is about Wales versus Belgium, not me up against him.

"There are 11 players on the field and it does not matter if he or I score, it is about which team wins.

"One player does not make a team, it will be 11 v 11 and we will be going out to win the game.

"I don't think everyone is looking to us, we just work hard for the team. If the team players well then the players are playing well.

"It is a tale of two teams who are very good teams, because you don't get to the quarter-finals by accident."

Ainu

Vermaelen is suspended and Vertonghen just twisted his ankle in training, so it seems unlikely he'll play. We may be looking at a defensive line-up consisting of Jordan Lukaku - Denayer - Alderweireld - Meunier, with possibly Ciman or Kabasele instead of Denayer. Not great. Wilmots' decision to leave Lombaerts at home suddenly doesn't look so good anymore. Hazard was slightly injured as well but he'll probably be fine.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Vermaelen is suspended and Vertonghen just twisted his ankle in training, so it seems unlikely he'll play. We may be looking at a defensive line-up consisting of Jordan Lukaku - Denayer - Alderweireld - Meunier, with possibly Ciman or Kabasele instead of Denayer. Not great. Wilmots' decision to leave Lombaerts at home suddenly doesn't look so good anymore. Hazard was slightly injured as well but he'll probably be fine.
Big loss if Vertonghen really has twisted his ankle. Suddenly, that back four doesn't look that impressive. Really hope Belgium attack us, it'll suit Bale and Ramsey a lot more.

onemanarmy

Yes, Belgian press are reporting it.

Very sad for him, and us. We'll have to field 2 defenders who have played a max of 5 games for the NT.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Thanks for leaving Lombaerts home, Wilmots.. Meunier-Alderweireld-Denayer-Lukaku now I guess, should still be enough to beat Wales. No offense to the Welshman on here but this is still a dream draw for us is in the quarters. Devestated though, what the feck is wrong with our defense :( looking forward to the game, pressure is huge because a loss will be deemed as failure and rightfully so.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Could that mean Wilmots going for a more defensive midfield, Fellaini to win headers in both boxes etc.?

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
Not if he's a smart man :)

So we are missing Vermaelen, Vertonghen, Lombaerts and Kompany. Unreal really.
Well I think we all know buy now he’s not :wenger: Could go for some extra protection though as the defence will be so inexperienced.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Thanks for leaving Lombaerts home, Wilmots.. Meunier-Alderweireld-Denayer-Lukaku now I guess, should still be enough to beat Wales. No offense to the Welshman on here but this is still a dream draw for us is in the quarters. Devestated though, what the feck is wrong with our defense :( looking forward to the game, pressure is huge because a loss will be deemed as failure and rightfully so.
I can understand most people thinking we are a dream draw (they should be right). We did take 4 points off you in qualifying though. So something to think about.

2-1 Belgium is my prediction.

onemanarmy

I can understand most people thinking we are a dream draw (they should be right). We did take 4 points off you in qualifying though. So something to think about.

While you are right, it was a terrible game for us. Bale scored due to an error of Naingollan. Oh well, we'll see. Feeling a lot less confident now.

JJ12

While you are right, it was a terrible game for us. Bale scored due to an error of Naingollan. Oh well, we'll see. Feeling a lot less confident now.
Although we are a 'small nation' our best players are in great form and are very good players in their own right. Could be interesting but I fear it's a game too far for us.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool

Yes by any means I'm not overly confident about the prospect of facing Wales but still, it's way better than facing Italy or Germany at this stage. I was at the game in Belgium and it was one of the worst ever, Wales came for a point and nothing more but fair play of course, job perfectly executed!

JJ12

Yes by any means I'm not overly confident about the prospect of facing Wales but still, it's way better than facing Italy or Germany at this stage. I was at the game in Belgium and it was one of the worst ever, Wales came for a point and nothing more but fair play of course, job perfectly executed!
I'd imagine a similar game plan with Bale, Ramsey, etc trying to counter. Should be interesting.

Ainu

The defensive situation is not ideal, to say the least. Whatever the line-up, the Welsh will definitely fancy themselves a lot more than a few hours ago. Big opportunities for (probably) Jordan Lukaku and Denayer. We still have the firepower to outscore Wales but how those two react to this situation will be crucial. I hope Wilmots doesn't try to overcompensate by putting Fellaini in midfield or something stupid, we need the rest of the team to function as well as possible.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I appreciate your opinion obviously, but you seem to disregard that one of the world's best players has one of the best forms of this Euros and is now facing a more favorable defence. It's interesting. I just hope you guys won't go defensive in midfield now after Vertonghen news.

It should be said that we are certainly a much better team than when we beat you in the qualifiers. Of course, you are the better team - but those last results mean nothing in reality given how much both of our teams have changed. Coleman's gameplan for the Euro mathes, minus the England one in which we were set up far too defensively, has been fantastic. If he's right again tomorrow, I think we'll win.

Shitting myself at the prospect of Hazard v Gunter to be honest
Gunter is one of my top 2/3 as the best right backs of the tournament so far. He's been brilliant for us. What is good is that Gunter likes to attack himself so let's hope Hazard doesn't have his tracking boots on.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Don't like either team. Really don't know which one to root for.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
I appreciate your opinion obviously, but you seem to disregard that one of the world's best players has one of the best forms of this Euros and is now facing a more favorable defence. It's interesting. I just hope you guys won't go defensive in midfield now after Vertonghen news.

It should be said that we are certainly a much better team than when we beat you in the qualifiers. Of course, you are the better team - but those last results mean nothing in reality given how much both of our teams have changed. Coleman's gameplan for the Euro mathes, minus the England one in which we were set up far too defensively, has been fantastic. If he's right again tomorrow, I think we'll win.

Gunter is one of my top 2/3 as the best right backs of the tournament so far. He's been brilliant for us. What is good is that Gunter likes to attack himself so let's hope Hazard doesn't have his tracking boots on.
I give you a lot of credit as I think you're actually an excellent side with a very solid defense and a lot of talent up front, but I don't think Bale has been excellent at all by any means... Agree with the other parts, it's going to be a great game and all the best! If you go through, I hope you go to the final because it would be an awesome story and thoroughly deserved!

DocRockter

If A.Williams is just a little bit hurt, it would be idiotic not to have Fellaini there to dominate the air..

Wales(Bale) to strike first and then stay back and counter like hell. With those missing from the BEL defense, it just might be enough for them to get through.

BlueCelery

Supports
Chelsea
Hazard to knock out Bale & Ronaldo.

I don't get the Wales hype on here, I mean this is a team that lost to England ffs.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Belgium may win the whole darn thing.
I'm not so sure. If they do end up meeting Portugal in the semis, they may do an England v Iceland and go into that match too overconfident and get sucker punched. I could also easily see Portugal taking them all the way to penalties and winning.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
A few Chelsea players in the Belgian side but also a few English players in the Welsh side. I'm torn.

I think the annoying welsh people at work who, until very recently, did not like football have pushed me towards Belgium.

red4ever 79

Up early and ready for this one. Nerves already hitting. Im surprised there are people from the UK not supporting another home nation. We all should get behind the boys. Perhaps people are still smarting from the comments Bale made earlier in the tournament. However for me he was bang on the money, the English team does like the passion and spirit as proved time and time again.

Come on lads get behind the Welsh Dragon

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Wales to attack early to try to get ahead and then punish the Belgians on the counter after that.
2-1 Wales.

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Interested to see if Hazard can come close to replicating that Hungary performance, however given Belgiums weakened defence, if Wales can get Bale involved hes going to run riot.

Big Andy

Bloke
Bet365 are doing their risk free £50 bet off again...

I won £468 last time on 2-1 England vs Wales...

Torn about what to do tonight though...do I go with Wales or Belgium? I get my £50 back if it loses anyway, so toying with Belgium 2-1 at 9/1 or Belgium 3-1 at 19/1...

JJ12

Hazard to knock out Bale & Ronaldo.

I don't get the Wales hype on here, I mean this is a team that lost to England ffs.
Only because we sat so deep in the 2nd half. Only tactics we've got wrong so far. The goals were spawny as well. We wouldn't have scored if any other goal keeper was playing mind :lol:

When a minnow tops a group and makes the quarters how can you not hype them up. The best players in the team have been outstanding.

JJ12

I give you a lot of credit as I think you're actually an excellent side with a very solid defense and a lot of talent up front, but I don't think Bale has been excellent at all by any means... Agree with the other parts, it's going to be a great game and all the best! If you go through, I hope you go to the final because it would be an awesome story and thoroughly deserved!
:houllier:

He's been outstanding

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
:houllier:

He's been outstanding
Outside of two set pieces which keepers should have saved and the Russia game.. he has not really been at the races. That said. . he's been better than Ronaldo and a host of other big names plus he looks tired rather than out of his depth or tactically limited.

If he can muster up his usual energetic performance. . he'll be a big threat v Belgium.