Gaming Quake Remastered (PC, PS4, PS5, Switch, Xbox S|X, Xbox One) | Out Now, £7.99/$10 - Gyro aiming on Switch and PS consoles

izzydiggler

Looks like 2 might be coming too…and both will be on Game Pass (3 too on PC).

edit: 2 is listed for PC…I assume it’s in prep for Quake Con, so probably just wait for the official announcement before I start spending

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Was Quake 1 really this bright? Those screenshots are quite colourful, but I remember the game as being really dark and pretty abstract in its environments. Is that my memory playing tricks on me?

In any case, Quake 2 was fun, that would be an interesting remake.

Adamsk7

Loved both Quake 1 & 2. The first was released just after I got my first real PC and I have fond memories of my Mum being completely taken in by the assistant at Comet and I ended up with a brilliant computer with the first ever flat screen Sony monitor as my “you’re going to secondary school so you need a computer” machine. I remember telling my mates that it met the recommended specs! :lol:

Quake 2 had a brilliant single player and I used to play often round a friends who had a full LAN set up with four machines. I then REALLY got in to level making using QuakeEd

Siorac

I was always amazed that people actually liked Quake. It was pretty much a tech demo for John Carmack to show off his engine-writing skills. I found it bland even at the time. Doom was a lot more fun.

Withnail

Was Quake 1 really this bright? Those screenshots are quite colourful, but I remember the game as being really dark and pretty abstract in its environments. Is that my memory playing tricks on me?

In any case, Quake 2 was fun, that would be an interesting remake.
Yeah Quake 2 was great. I'm not sure I even played Quake itself.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I was always amazed that people actually liked Quake. It was pretty much a tech demo for John Carmack to show off his engine-writing skills. I found it bland even at the time. Doom was a lot more fun.
Doom 2 was the shit. I still remember when the tv show Gamesmaster managed to make a lan deathmatch version of it. Both me, my sister and my dad were opened mouth watching it and we all looked at each other and went "we have to do this". Three weeks later, 3 pcs linked up ready to rock n roll.

Siorac

Doom 2 was the shit. I still remember when the tv show Gamesmaster managed to make a lan deathmatch version of it. Both me, my sister and my dad were opened mouth watching it and we all looked at each other and went "we have to do this". Three weeks later, 3 pcs linked up ready to rock n roll.
Yeah, we had LAN parties of Doom 2 in primary school. Chainsawing someone in the face just never got boring.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Yeah, we had LAN parties of Doom 2 in primary school. Chainsawing someone in the face just never got boring.
Doom 2 to me is among the best games ever. Much better than Doom, which was cool, but kinda bland in terms of environments and with much less variety in enemies. Doom 2 was absolutely amazing, and has some great-looking maps. I've played it so much that I could probably still know where all the enemies are in every map. :) The one downside is playing it now in its original form, without being able to look up and down. I prefer modern versions where that's been added.
I agree on that as well. If I'm not mistaken, Quake was the first game that had true 3D environments, e.g., where you could have a bridge leading over an area where you could also walk. Duke Nukem had something like that, but you wouldn't be able to see/access both overlapping areas at the same time. I found that hugely impressive at the time, but the game did little for me: bland environments, and not a very great cast of enemies. Quake 2 took that to another level where the game was really fun and there was a real story that was reflected in the environments - even if the game still wasn't on the level of Doom 2. ;)

Chairman Steve

Hopefully it leads to a new Quake game. It feels like id have been progressing towards it since Doom Eternal felt more like a Quake game than a classic Doom game.

Instagib came from the original Unreal Tournament, based on the standard shock rifle being turned into a one hit kill gibbed gun. I think the railgun from Quake 2 could do that but UT and CliffyB coined ‘instagib’ from memory.

Quakes responsible for rocketjumping and bunnyhopping. Two FPS skills that have died in the age of COD taking over.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Possibly the greatest way to play FPS multiplayer :lol: no real learning curve, no loadouts, don't need to know the map for pickups, just get in there and shoot things.
Unreal Tournament was amazing. I never played online (my internet sucked and so did my skills), but always having played regular FPS games, it was awesome to play a team-based game - I don't care if it was all against computer opposition. Nice sniper perches as well.

Actually, I think I did try playing Unreal Tournament online at some point. After being killed within seconds a couple of times in a row (I may have survived longer once by mostly hiding), I was cured of that for years again.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Quake was fun back in the day. Big deal at the time. But I can't be bothered playing it now

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Possibly the greatest way to play FPS multiplayer :lol: no real learning curve, no loadouts, don't need to know the map for pickups, just get in there and shoot things.
UT4 on the spaceship level with the laser guns was insanely fun. Shooting people out into space and trying to stop them landing back on the ship was madness :lol:

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Was it Quake 1 that gave rise to the original Team Fortress? I thought discovering 2Fort on that was the best thing ever at the time.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
Quakeworld (Q1) was amazing on multiplayer!
Reading through comments here, it looks like people are talking about the single player part of the game.

I spent about 10 years in quake 1 and 3, mainly quake 3, looking forward to trying this again.

I can't in my wildest imagination understand why someone would want to, or even can, play a quake game on console, with all the strafe jumping and bunny hopping.
And don't even get me started on rocket jumping! :lol:

Grylte

Is this the game that had instagib? Or am I thinking of Unreal Tournament?
Quake 1 didn't have a railgun, that was from Q2.
Q1 had much faster rockets, and crazy shaft!

Chairman Steve

Was it Quake 1 that gave rise to the original Team Fortress? I thought discovering 2Fort on that was the best thing ever at the time.
Yeah, Team Fortress came from Quake 1 originally as a third party mod, despite people may think it came from Half-Life. Valve hired the two guys who made Team Fortress as they were developing Half-Life 1 and developed Team Fortress Classic as their official online game for HL1… and then two other guys made Counterstrike as a HL1 mod a year later which outperformed TFC in player numbers, and Valve hired those two guys as well and developed Counterstrike into 1.6, Source and CSGO!

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Reading through comments here, it looks like people are talking about the single player part of the game.

I spent about 10 years in quake 1 and 3, mainly quake 3, looking forward to trying this again.

I can't in my wildest imagination understand why someone would want to, or even can, play a quake game on console, with all the strafe jumping and bunny hopping.
Depends if it's like for like. The current trend of making shooters auto aim reliant too will no doubt come to the fore too :lol:

Grylte

Depends if it's like for like. The current trend of making shooters auto aim reliant too will no doubt come to the fore too :lol:
I remember you could use scripts, or whatsitcalled, for rocketjumping in Q3, still not sure how that would work in Q1.
That only took you straight up'ish, so wouldn't be able to make those quick forward rocket jumps that you will want to do if you use rocketjumping in your playstyle.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Yeah, Team Fortress came from Quake 1 originally as a third party mod, despite people may think it came from Half-Life. Valve hired the two guys who made Team Fortress as they were developing Half-Life 1 and developed Team Fortress Classic as their official online game for HL1… and then two other guys made Counterstrike as a HL1 mod a year later which outperformed TFC in player numbers, and Valve hired those two guys as well and developed Counterstrike into 1.6, Source and CSGO!
Good stuff didn't know that.

nickyboy1981

I don't remember it being official to be honest during HL1 but it was a long time ago. I thought it was when they released the orange box and updated the graphics etc but in my mind that was around HL2. The early days when it was HL1 graphics was ace.

Probably my best memories from gaming were those early online shooter days and being in a TF clan in the early Steam days. Before I got sucked into the black hole of mmorpgs with Everquest for a few years.

I went to log onto work this morning and saw Quake advert open when I booted the pc, needles to say, not much work has been done today as of yet.

Anyone remember downloading the Quake 3 test on dial up modem? 38 meg or summat, took about a week :)

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
Yeah, same. I’m even more amazed that people are even remotely excited about a remaster.

Grylte

Yeah, same. I’m even more amazed that people are even remotely excited about a remaster.
I'm eeeeven more amazed that not many more are excited!
Fecking brilliant game, loved playing both 1v1 and tdm with that great movement.
Q1 and Q3 are the reason i never really liked the more realistic games where people sit and hide in bushes and behind boxes, waiting for you.
In Quake, you just yolo in, and it's great fun!

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

I had completely forgotten that Quake 3 even existed! Yeah, that was fun as well - and that's actually where I tried a bit of online and got demotivated from trying it ever again, not Unreal Tournament. :lol:

Volumiza

The alright "V", B-Boy cypher cat
I'm eeeeven more amazed that not many more are excited!
Not enough bushes and boxes for me to wait behind :lol:

I just never thought there was anything to the game. Nowhere near as good as even the OG Doom despite the newer graphics.

UT and CS were both much better multiplayer games too.

Grylte

Not enough bushes and boxes for me to wait behind :lol:

I just never thought there was anything to the game. Nowhere near as good as even the OG Doom despite the newer graphics.

UT and CS were both much better multiplayer games too.
this is straight up lie!

did you try the quakeworl mod, or whatsitcalled?
Where most of the big tournaments were played. The movement and weapon comboes is what makes Quake stick out for me, much more fun to knock someone in the air with rocket, then hold them there with the shaft (LG), or rocket then rail in Q3 :)