Qualify for the Europa League or exit Europe?

Kopral Jono

It’s better not to play Europa league. Focus on league please.
Focus on the league for what? Slogging it out around Easter with Aston Villa to fecking finish fifth? The Europa League doesn't only offer us with another route for Champions League qualification next year, but actually winning a European trophy (given how rare these occasions are for us for whatever reason) is always special.

Ole'sattheWheel

Really cba with europa again this year. If we wanna win it we'll have to play and beat liverpool on the way which will be a horrific night. Notable mentions for villareal, probably newcastle in there, if not thene psg or milan.
Not gonna happen really is it

Yorke to Cole

Get out. It would only be fitting anyway with Ratcliffe coming in, that we out of Europe altogether.

Skills

Snitch
Europa League as it gives us another route into the UCL.
And what's the point of another embarrassing season in the CL group stages? You don't even get any of group stage revenue share if you qualify through Europa.

Skills

Snitch
Yeah tell you what let’s just fecking moan and groan and give up. Would that be better?
Yeah it's better than wanking over qualifying for a competition that we repeatedly embarrass ourselves.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Europa league obvs. We’ve shown we can compete in that and still finish top 4. It also gives us another chance incase our league form turns to rubbish again.

Dan_F

And what's the point of another embarrassing season in the CL group stages? You don't even get any of group stage revenue share if you qualify through Europa.
Huh? If you win the Europa, you don’t get Champions League money the next season when you’re playing in it, or have I mis understood that.

Cloud7

Exit. I’m fed up of the Europa league. Maybe less games will give the team time to gel and train more.

Telsim

100% exit. Squad full of injuries, we definitely don't need a Thursday - Sunday schedule added to that. We are not winning the Europa League, so it would be utterly pointless as well. Rather not have anything midweek and focus on getting Top 5.

And I also hate Europa League.

Skills

Snitch
Huh? If you win the Europa, you don’t get Champions League money the next season when you’re playing in it, or have I mis understood that.
The season we qualified through the Europa League, we close to feck all from the market pool because we'd qualified through Europa. You get the participation bonus and performance bonus, but you get almost nothing from the biggest pie which is the market pool. Celtic, Olympiacos got more than us that season from the market pool.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Exit.

Usually I'd say Europa, but it's pointless this year with Liverpool in there so it would just be a lot of distracting games with an inevitable disappointing conclusion.

James35

We should be staying in Europe for revenue. We haven’t got a pot to piss in so going out completely will be bad. Also if EtH wants to stay long term it’s not exactly a glowing reference being completely out of Europe at first hurdle whilst conceding record amount of goals. We are like the San Marino of CL.

Dan_F

The season we qualified through the Europa League, we close to feck all from the market pool because we'd qualified through Europa. You get the participation bonus and performance bonus, but you get almost nothing from the biggest pie which is the market pool. Celtic, Olympiacos got more than us that season from the market pool.
Rubbish mate. The market pool is 15% of the overall money. And by the way, we could still finish in the top four (or five) and win the Europa, if you’re that bothered by the 15%. And it steps down the lower you finish in the top four.

You get the coefficient money in addition to participation and performance. Last season Spurs got £10 million from the market pool for finishing 4th in the Premier League the year before and took £65 million overall. Chelsea got £15 million for the market pool for third but £90 million overall.

This was due to £13 million more in performances and £13 million more in coefficient. And by the way, we’re 7th in the club coefficient currently.

So yeah. For the sake of £10 million, who cares if we qualify through the Europa and win another trophy?

Andersons Dietician

Meh part of me is totally for just get us the feck out of Europe but then It’s more games for ETH to try and get the issues sorted and another route in to the champions league for next season.

LordSpud

Guys the only reason the club cares about Champions League is due to the money it gets from qualifying and participating in it, as well as clauses from sponsors where we end up losing money for not qualifying.

It's only us little people that actually care about the CL matches themselves.

JagUTD

The players would probably benefit more from going out completely. We'd end up playing something like 10 fewer games after the new year than last season, so should be fitter in the run in.

In theory anyway.

Still prefer if somehow we beat Bayern and the other 2 draw, making us record breakers by qualifying with the lowest points ever (I think?)

tomaldinho1

Exit

Focus has to be on CL places, we always hear someone say 'Europa might be our best bet of getting into the CL' - feck that - just focus on the league

GreatDane

On one hand I want us out so we can beat our tired rivals and do better in the league, and on the other hand I want us to compete everywhere we can.
So...meh?

Stadjer

I always find it a bit amusing to read about the Europa League on this site. Many look down on it as if watching Europa League football is beneath them and beneath Manchester United.

We have been in the Europa League quite a lot during these dark years after Fergie retired. We are hardly collecting silverware left, right and centre and couldnt even get out off an easy CL group.

Yet the Europa League is beneath Manchester United? Eventhough Manchester United only won it once? Realistically it is the largest and most prestigious price Manchester United can win....

It is also the 'easiest' route to the CL and the money that comes with the CL.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Stay in, I want us to fight/compete.

We wouldn't be as favoured in the Europa as we have been before but we're still capable of winning it. This is the competition that Rangers got to the final of not too long ago.

But even with zero chance of winning I'd still want us in it. Should Luton not play their PL games, Stockport not enter the FA Cup?

Don't really get the whole let's bomb out, presumably hoping to qualify for the CL next season when we have even less chance of winning that.

JagUTD

I always find it a bit amusing to read about the Europa League on this site. Many look down on it as if watching Europa League football is beneath them and beneath Manchester United.

We have been in the Europa League quite a lot during these dark years after Fergie retired. We are hardly collecting silverware left, right and centre and couldnt even get out off an easy CL group.

Yet the Europa League is beneath Manchester United? Eventhough Manchester United only won it once? Realistically it is the largest and most prestigious price Manchester United can win....

It is also the 'easiest' route to the CL and the money that comes with the CL.
If we are in it, I want us to win it. I'd want us to win the Conference League if we were in that.

UEFA ruined European club football by devaluing the UEFA Cup and scrapping the brilliant Cup Winners Cup though and it's created a generation of fans who ridicule clubs who compete in them now.

Last season's biggest European game was arguably a Europa League game though. In terms of global appeal and interest. Wonder what the TV audiences were for United v Barcelona compared with the CL.

Lost bear

Probably best to limit the games to premiership, keeping our powder dry for the following season. We’re not quite ready, though personally I believe this team will be excellent with a couple of additions. A lot of young talent, which will come good in time. Not ready for Europe yet though.

JagUTD

Europe League is our level. Better than nothing.
That's a bit unfair. Just about anyone else in goal and I reckon we would have already qualified from this group, possibly unbeaten on 13 points right now.

SB16

On the one hand, another route into the Champions League is always welcome. On another, perhaps watching this team just one game a week is better for my mental health.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If I had any belief in this squad I'd say Europa but let's face it we'll only get battered by Liverpool or any other decent side.

This CL campaign will have cost us a lot of money.

didz

It's a really tough question.

I mean, it's a chance at a trophy and all, but this team is crying out for some breaks between games to build automatisms and get some sodding rest. We had the most packed season in Europe last time out, and it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to lessen the load a little this time round.

In fairness, a bit factor is probably that I'm not sure I can take playing Sevilla again, so maybe my answer really depends on how they get on against Lens in a couple of weeks!

Ludens the Red

Out of Europe. As it’s an easy out excuse when this team stinks the place up. Which will inevitably happen if we fall into Europe and play Thursday - Sunday. It would also allow Ten Hag the chance to get the team in training for longer and so will also eliminate the excuse of him not having enough time with the players.

el3mel

That's a bit unfair. Just about anyone else in goal and I reckon we would have already qualified from this group, possibly unbeaten on 13 points right now.
How is it unfair to say EL is our level when this is gonna be 3rd time in our 6 last CL campaigns in which we're about to get out of the group ? And out of the other three times we got KOed from 16th round twice as well.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Sick of seeing the Europa League. It's only one extra round but it just feels like a much bigger grind than CL knockouts. And I have no confidence this team would actually do well in it anyway.

Only reason I'd want to stay in it is if we sent a completely rotated B team into every game. See what the kids and reserves can do. But that would never happen.