Qualify for the Europa League or exit Europe?

Dravy

Exit. Mainly because I always think a significant number of the players don't take the Europa League seriously going off some of the abysmal performances we've had in it; I think our chances at getting top four would improve without it.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
We can't even beat the third placed team in our group, what makes people think we can beat the third placed teams in the other groups. Just exit Europe.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Care to explain ? I thought the format is changed from next year
Yes. There will be two additional places for the best two leagues this season. If the PL is one of those two, it gets the fifth spot and that's likely to happen looking at recent years. But if more clubs act like United and drop out early of EL/ECL that won't happen.

United dropping out of the CL and possibly Newcastle as well is quite bad and need to be countered by strong runs of multiple teams in the lesser competitions, otherwise Germany, Italy, Spain will likely get the two spots and not England.

In other words, United dropping out completely on purpose and getting 5th in the PL might become a disaster as this exit might be the difference between CL or EL for 5th place

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
We should compete in it with most of our 2nd stringers. It's free money for us and good game time for developmental and transfer market purposes.
Ha ha ha wait before you see the lineup full of first team players

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Yes. There will be two additional places for the best two leagues this season. If the PL is one of those two, it gets the fifth spot and that's likely to happen looking at recent years. But if more clubs act like United and drop out early of EL/ECL that won't happen.

United dropping out of the CL and possibly Newcastle as well is quite bad and need to be countered by strong runs of multiple teams in the lesser competitions, otherwise Germany, Italy, Spain will likely get the two spots and not England.
Yes. As long as the Cheaters are right up there, PL will continue to have 5 places. I can't see anyone challenging City for CL this year.

fallengt

Bayern drew. Nice
There's zero chance copehaggen and galatasaray draw each other so no point playing last match. May as well, give the kids some games
Knowing TenHag he will run players to the ground to get that glorious europa trophy though. So let's pray for Onana to get another "stellar performance" like today :drool:

Last edited:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Yes. As long as the Cheaters are right up there, PL will continue to have 5 places. I can't see anyone challenging City for CL this year.
That's indeed another way to an extra CL spot, but I don't think it's guaranteed that City win it again. They are not unbeatable as we have seen recently

el3mel

Care to explain ? I thought the format is changed from next year
https://www.skysports.com/football/...can-qualify-for-next-seasons-champions-league

• The final two places will go to the associations with the best collective performance by their clubs in the previous season (total number of points obtained divided by the number of participating clubs)
Read the rest after this point.

Basically English teams need to be at least 2nd best in Europe this year for PL to get an additional 5th spot, and this applies to other leagues as well.

Captmfla

Clearly, the players are playing for Europa by finishing third on purpose.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
And currently (before the matches today, but already including qualification bonuses) it looks like this:
https://kassiesa.net/uefa/data/method5/ccoef2024.html

The PL is only 6th, behind Germany, Spain, Italy, Turkey and Belgium. The latter two should be easy to catch but then there still are three other big leagues and the PL needs to catch two of them to get the 5th CL place

Bwuk

Europa purely to bed youth players. Let them see how far they can take us.

Bayinder
Dalot - Maguire - Martinez - Regulion
Mainoo - Hannibal
Amad - Mount - Garnacho
Hojlund​

Fr. Todd Unctious

Genuinely wouldn't surprise me if we somehow finished 2nd in the group given how fecked up our season is so far where despite being so awful we're still only 6 off the top and 4 off top 4

croadyman

Not that we’ll have the choice because Bayern will carve us apart anyway

But which would you prefer?

Rather exit it personally and just focus on the finishing as high as we can in the league and an FA Cup run
Exit every day of the week,needs to be full punishment for chucking away lead in 3 games

Nickelodeon

We are destined for Europa. It’s written in the stars that we’ll end up in same unnecessary Europa playoff again.

Unam333

Genuinely wouldn't surprise me if we somehow finished 2nd in the group given how fecked up our season is so far where despite being so awful we're still only 6 off the top and 4 off top 4
I really can't believe that. Our European campaign this year is full of bs decisions against us and us gifting goals away while we were in a fantastic position to qualify for the next round. But here we are. It's like we are actively trying to sabotage ourselves.

If, for some miracle, we manage to win vs Bayern, we will be heavily dependent on the Copenhagen-Galatasaray result.
Knowing our luck, it will be 0-0 with 30 seconds of extra time remaining and the ref will award a bs penalty to Galatasaray. You just know something like that will happen.

BabySinclair

There is a 1% chance that we will reach the next round (even if there is a draw between Copenhagen and Galatasaray) because...

Bayern Munich's statistics in the group stage are amazing
- Unbeaten in the last 39 matches
- 18 wins in the last 19 matches
- 0 defeats in the last 18 away matches

BabySinclair

I really can't believe that. Our European campaign this year is full of bs decisions against us and us gifting goals away while we were in a fantastic position to qualify for the next round. But here we are. It's like we are actively trying to sabotage ourselves.

If, for some miracle, we manage to win vs Bayern, we will be heavily dependent on the Copenhagen-Galatasaray result.
Knowing our luck, it will be 0-0 with 30 seconds of extra time remaining and the ref will award a bs penalty to Galatasaray. You just know something like that will happen.
We all should be honest....whatever happens at Parken in two weeks.....we don't deserve to be in this competition considering our many crazy mistakes.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
We are simply nowhere near the level required to win either tournament. Feck them off and move on.

Red00012

Europa purely to bed youth players. Let them see how far they can take us.

Bayinder
Dalot - Maguire - Martinez - Regulion
Mainoo - Hannibal
Amad - Mount - Garnacho
Hojlund​
Zero chance pal

crossy1686

career ending
Europa league is depressing and we won't win it anyway. Plus the manager will just pick the same 11, 3 times a week again and we'll end up with perma injuries like last season.

Unam333

We all should be honest....whatever happens at Parken in two weeks.....we don't deserve to be in this competition considering our many crazy mistakes.
I agree. I'm ok us not getting out of the group stages, but not like this. Every game in the CL we get controversial ref/Var decisions against us or us imploding (Copenhagen 10 v 11), goalkeeper clangers, unable to score sitters, unable to keep out goals. We are the laughing stock in Europe.

royboy16

The moon gave me flowers for funerals to come.
Id continue in Europe, experiment and try get it to click, even if we exited Europe and focused to qualify for champions league again, we could be having the same discussion again next season due to us struggling in CL.
The owners will want us to qualify for Europa anyway as its money.

Matt007a

All the clubs playing in Europe are struggling with injuries right now. We are still suffering from last seasons insane schedule.

We should reduce our match load, get our players fit again and prioritise a top 4 finish as a route back into the CL. The Europa would be more of a hinderance than a help if you ask me.

KeanoMagicHat

Don’t think a lot of people understand how Europe is different next year. Playing in the Europa League well improves our chances of playing in the CL next year. It can be a top 5 finish, not top 4 if we do well in the Europa.

Siorac

The prospect of meeting Liverpool or Sevilla (I know they are last in their group at the moment in the CL but if they beat Lens on the final day...) in the Europa League fills me with a nameless, cold dread.

Also, with our squad and injury situation, the fewer games the better.

Chumpsbechumps

I’m actually indifferent cause I’m sick after last night but I think qualifying is probably better cause I can’t help but shake the feeling that we can have a better second half of season. I don’t think we win the league and would rather be going for a cup than being desperate to just get in the top 5.

there is something wrong about gunning for 2nd-5th as if it’s an achievement. Winning a cup is a cup . Not just that, I think it helps build momentum into next season and teams can use it to help them get experience for CL

Particularly with the likes of Hoijland, Garnacho and mainoo, it would be great experience.

I think it does our coefficient no harm either as we will take a hit this season.

Xaviboy

Need to stay out of that Europa League. Havnt got the squad for it.

Our players sneeze they get injured.

Best stay out if it And keep legs fresh for league games and go on a fa Cup run.

Hughie77

It's a toughie to get European football, need to beat Bayern for Europa league playoff game.. Are the other 2 going to Draw? . .the only thing we got to do which is a good thing is Win a game at OT, and see how it goes.. do you want Thursday night Sunday games.. at least it won't be the silly Sat night ko times..