Television Quantum Leap Returns

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
where this cat brings some dude tomorrow's newspaper every morning, and he has to go around changing the bad stuff.
there is a show I had forgotten ever existed

Big Andy

Bloke
Watched the first episode. Enjoyed it but wasn't great by any means. I liked the 2 main characters but some of the side characters are hard to take and feel forced.
It wasn't as bad as I was expecting, I actually enjoyed it. Quite a bit of over explanation and hand holding for the sake of telling the audience what was going on, rather than letting the main guy learn it as it went along like the original series, but all in all not a bad Pilot episode. Liked the way they linked it with Al, and showed Sam as well so that they linked the 2 series together.

Side note, if the project was shut down, and he leaped into himself in the last few moments of the original series, where the feck has he been and what's he been doing? Should the show end without getting cancelled, they'll surely chuck enough money at Bakula to get him home in the final episode and Al's daughter will tie into that probably down the line.

Amir

So, episode 2. Leap stuff - good. Behind the scenes stuff - not very interesting.

The original was all about Sam and Al, with the odd bit from the QL project. Hopefully they don't mess that up.

Big Andy

Bloke
So, episode 2. Leap stuff - good. Behind the scenes stuff - not very interesting.

The original was all about Sam and Al, with the odd bit from the QL project. Hopefully they don't mess that up.
Yeah it was an alright episode. I’m alright with future stuff if it’s relevant to the story of how they get him back or if it ties in to Sam and Al but if it becomes overly dominant and takes over then it’s pointless.

Big Andy

Bloke
Another decent episode I thought. Still to get the charm of the original though.

Amir

Another decent episode I thought. Still to get the charm of the original though.
It probably felt like the most Quantum Leap episode so far.

I do agree about the charm. The original had a bit of humour which is missing here.

Big Andy

Bloke
It probably felt like the most Quantum Leap episode so far.

I do agree about the charm. The original had a bit of humour which is missing here.
Still not feeling the future stuff as much as I should be. It just seems a bit "meh". Just tell us what he was trying to do and leave it at that. We know he's trying to get to a certain point in time, just tell us instead of leaving it hanging in some kind of "reveal" later in the series. Also don't care about any of the future people whatsoever.

Still, the leaps are decent even if they still don't have the charm of the original series.

Amir

Still not feeling the future stuff as much as I should be. It just seems a bit "meh". Just tell us what he was trying to do and leave it at that. We know he's trying to get to a certain point in time, just tell us instead of leaving it hanging in some kind of "reveal" later in the series. Also don't care about any of the future people whatsoever.

Still, the leaps are decent even if they still don't have the charm of the original series.
Yeah, I'm not really feeling the future stuff yet either, apart from
nostalgic stuff like Beth, Al's handlink or Magic talking about the time Sam leaped into him
. I guess it's their way to try to create arcs that go beyond the story of the week that TV has moved away from a bit, but it feels a little off and forced.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Watched the trailer. It looks crap. Should have done a evil leaper series, ruining peoples lives instead.

Or dont limit it to leaping within his own lifetime, that could get expensive.
I'm watching it now. First 20 mins of first episode. It is crap so far.

Casting is crap.... Zero chemistry between them as actors.
The two leads are not good actors.
Dialogue is piss poor. Very your line my line type of stuff.
The gender neutral character is awful

Hoof the ball

I'm watching it now. First 20 mins of first episode. It is crap so far.

Casting is crap.... Zero chemistry between them as actors.
The two leads are not good actors.
Dialogue is piss poor. Very your line my line type of stuff.
The gender neutral character is awful
Is it like a CW show where everyone in the room has an appropriately timed contribution to a conversation one-after-another?

Big Andy

Bloke
Just watched the latest episode, and one thing stood out to me. In all of the episodes, Ben is having some full on conversations with his holographic missus, and he's in the middle of a pub/bar/etc and nobody asks him who the feck he's talking to. He just talks directly at her.

They've fecked it too early with the love story element as well. Now it becomes your traditional CW show, with monologues about love, and shit like that, and romance story lines, and it just fecks the story up.

Also, not liking the twist at the end.

Big Andy

Bloke
Anyone still watching this? I’m giving it a chance out of sheer nostalgia now, and wanting to understand what happened to Sam rather than what’s actually going on. Hopefully this tie in with Al’s daughter will start to at least answer some questions.

They also completely ignored what they teased last week as well with the other leaper.

decorativeed

Just caught up with the 8 that have been released so far, and I'm quite enjoying it. It misses the chemistry that Stockwell and Bakula had in the original, and it's not doing anything original or particularly amazing, but it's an easy watch.

Agree with Big Andy on the fact Ben's just standing around having a full blown conversation in the middle of a road in broad daylight being daft though. Shows carelessness in the making of the show, from writing to direction. Odd decision.

Big Andy

Bloke
Anyone still watching this? It's been renewed for Season 2, so hopefully they'll chuck a feck load of money at Scott Bakula and he can rescue Sam and then I can stop putting myself through this shit weekly.

It's not captured the original in terms of charm or sentimentality at all. The original managed to make you care about Sam and the people he leapt into, but this one the leaps are almost a side story to the main 2022 timeline story of "WHY DID HE feckING LEAP?" when all anyone watching really cares about is getting to the point where be bumps into Sam and saves him.

They had that "future leaper" story line and then forgot all about it since, not one mention other than "lets keep an eye on that Hispanic fella".

Also, why has the science changed so that the person he leaps into doesn't end up in the "waiting room"? Where the feck do they/their consciousness go when Ben is inside them (ooh err).

SirAF

Ageist
I’m still waiting for someone in Norway to pull their finger out and buy the streaming rights. I was really excited when it was announced, and then equally disappointed when Bakula was not onboard.

Amir

Anyone still watching this? It's been renewed for Season 2, so hopefully they'll chuck a feck load of money at Scott Bakula and he can rescue Sam and then I can stop putting myself through this shit weekly.

It's not captured the original in terms of charm or sentimentality at all. The original managed to make you care about Sam and the people he leapt into, but this one the leaps are almost a side story to the main 2022 timeline story of "WHY DID HE feckING LEAP?" when all anyone watching really cares about is getting to the point where be bumps into Sam and saves him.
Yeah, I agree with everything. It's a decent watch, but I probably wouldn't have been doing it without the nostalgic love to the original. And the enjoyment of any hint of connection the new show gives to the old one.

Big Andy

Bloke
Jesus, this last episode really grabbed the wokeness and rammed it down your throat. I'm less and less interested in the 2022/23 storyline, just find Sam Beckett and lets just move on to a leap of the week without the future story line.

Amir

It'll be hard to find Sam without Baluka.

At for the latest episode, PC crap. Boring and expected.

decorativeed

If the word 'woke' was in use in the late 80s/early 90s, some people would be complaining almost every week about the original Quantum Leap series.

Big Andy

Bloke
So this top secret time travel project that nobody knows about, but every cnut seems to be leaping about everywhere, there's at least 4 of them knocking about now. Sam Beckett, Ben, That hispanic fella who was in one episode and then never heard of again, and now that Ian is leaping about in the future too.

Stop confusing things, and focus on the leaps instead of spending 10 minutes on people getting coffee and a pep talk. Just find Sam Beckett, get him home, reconnect him with his poor wife and finish the damn story properly. Worst thing that could happen to this show is a cancellation and an open ended story line that gets rushed, again.

Pay Bakula all the money and get him home, because I guarantee that's all anyone watching really wants.

SirAF

Ageist
Okay, I managed to scroll quickly down without any spoilers!

Just watched the pilot last night as the show has finally made its way to a streaming service in Norway. Not exactly top class, but I quite liked it as I’m a sucker for your run-of-the-mill CBS/NBC show :lol: I just hope they can get bloody Bakula onboard!

Big Andy

Bloke
Okay, I managed to scroll quickly down without any spoilers!

Just watched the pilot last night as the show has finally made its way to a streaming service in Norway. Not exactly top class, but I quite liked it as I’m a sucker for your run-of-the-mill CBS/NBC show :lol: I just hope they can get bloody Bakula onboard!
I think the problem is, as I've stated above, it just doesn't have the charm of the original, and focuses too much on 2023 storyline. Also, everyone expected Bakula back and he turned it down so it's not what everyone expected it to be.

decorativeed

I think the problem is, as I've stated above, it just doesn't have the charm of the original, and focuses too much on 2023 storyline. Also, everyone expected Bakula back and he turned it down so it's not what everyone expected it to be.
He 'turned it down' just like the two old Spider-man actors 'weren't in' the last Spider-man film. Until it came out and they obviously were. That's my guess, anyway.

Big Andy

Bloke
He 'turned it down' just like the two old Spider-man actors 'weren't in' the last Spider-man film. Until it came out and they obviously were. That's my guess, anyway.
He will obviously at some point be in it and rescued. It surely has to be. I'm sure the show runners will have spoken to him and got his buy in, otherwise it probably wouldn't have got off the ground.

Amir

I don"t know. He sounded pretty adamant and the first season went a totally different way in terms of the main story and is going to end in four episodes. A finale involving Sam as a cliffhanger towards season 2 is the best we can hope for, I guess.

One thing is certain: If the new show doesn't bring Sam home at some stage, It will miss its most important story and forever will be tainted in my eyes.

Big Andy

Bloke
I don"t know. He sounded pretty adamant and the first season went a totally different way in terms of the main story and is going to end in four episodes. A finale involving Sam as a cliffhanger towards season 2 is the best we can hope for, I guess.

One thing is certain: If the new show doesn't bring Sam home at some stage, It will miss its most important story and forever will be tainted in my eyes.
I'm surprised they've not had him leap into someone Sam leapt into yet. a grown up Jimmy for a start.

Amir

I'm surprised they've not had him leap into someone Sam leapt into yet. a grown up Jimmy for a start.
Would have been interesting to awaken a classic leap. Maybe they are just focusing on finding their own voice. It isn't going great. It's probably not a show I would have watched without my knowledge of the original.

Big Andy

Bloke
Would have been interesting to awaken a classic leap. Maybe they are just focusing on finding their own voice. It isn't going great. It's probably not a show I would have watched without my knowledge of the original.
Same here. The original holds a bit of nostalgia for me as it was the first "adult" show that I watched properly with my mum and I got invested in the story and the character. Without that original story, I'd probably have given up by now tbh.

It's at least been renewed for S2 so hopefully they can give Bakula a shit load of money or cancel his existing shows to get him in it, even for just one episode to finally free him.

Amir

Good episode for the second week running, I thought. A good leap story and focusing on it without showing too much of the project helps. Also Jenn mixed up well with Ben as a hologram. Hopefully they are finding their voice.

Big Andy

Bloke
Good episode for the second week running, I thought. A good leap story and focusing on it without showing too much of the project helps. Also Jenn mixed up well with Ben as a hologram. Hopefully they are finding their voice.
Yeah I thought it was a good episode as well. Certainly gotten a lot stronger as the season has gone on.

Big Andy

Bloke
That's three strong episodes in a row now, and a big twist at the end as well.

Big Andy

Bloke
Really hitting the stride now and breaking away from the original into its own show now. Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out in the finale.

Amir

Really hitting the stride now and breaking away from the original into its own show now. Looking forward to seeing how it all pans out in the finale.
Yeah, I'm really enjoying the final stretch - both the story of the week and the season-arc. Hopefully it'll be a good finale and it'll probably also set up for season 2.

Shame we're the only two left in this thread :lol: Maybe someone should leap back and put right what once went wrong in the earlier episodes.

Big Andy

Bloke
Yeah, I'm really enjoying the final stretch - both the story of the week and the season-arc. Hopefully it'll be a good finale and it'll probably also set up for season 2.

Shame we're the only two left in this thread :lol: Maybe someone should leap back and put right what once went wrong in the earlier episodes.
Ha ha, it was a bit of a slog in the early episodes, but it has grown into it's own show now, rather than hanging off the coat tails of the previous series. Hopefully they stick the landing at the end of the season and don't feck it up.