Television Quantum Leap Returns

Big Andy

Bloke
@Amir thoughts on that finale? And season as a whole?

I thought it was confusing as feck, but finalised the whole Martinez story, even though I don't see how that changed the future at all.

After what was a clunky start, it really grew into an excellent first season. Hopefully they can carry that on into Season 2. See you in September :lol:

Amir

@Amir thoughts on that finale? And season as a whole?

I thought it was confusing as feck, but finalised the whole Martinez story, even though I don't see how that changed the future at all.

After what was a clunky start, it really grew into an excellent first season. Hopefully they can carry that on into Season 2. See you in September :lol:
The finale did require a whole lot of concentration, but overall it was good.

I think it sums up the first part of the season that I had very little recollection of
the women who shot Martinez
, as that episode was not good and very forgettable. But the last third of the season was very good as the show found its own voice. Eventually even the project people won me over.

No idea what's planned for season 2 as they gave no hint. I guess they didn't want to committhemselves to anything. I do hope we get Sam somehow. Even if the show ends up being brilliant, I won't forgive it if it doesn't solve that.

Big Andy

Bloke
The finale did require a whole lot of concentration, but overall it was good.

I think it sums up the first part of the season that I had very little recollection of
the women who shot Martinez
, as that episode was not good and very forgettable. But the last third of the season was very good as the show found its own voice. Eventually even the project people won me over.

No idea what's planned for season 2 as they gave no hint. I guess they didn't want to committhemselves to anything. I do hope we get Sam somehow. Even if the show ends up being brilliant, I won't forgive it if it doesn't solve that.
No evil leapers, no real overarching big bad, no targeted leaps, from what I read the other day from the showrunner. Ben was lost as per the teaser for Season 2 which aired straight after the finale. So it becomes a bit more like the original in trying to get Ben home.

Completely with you on the Sam thing, I think the new series has been good enough to stand on its own now, and like you I've really liked seeing the future stuff as the season went on, even Ian who I thought was a box tick appointment at the start has turned out to be great tbh. However they need to throw Bakula a huge bag of cash to at least get him home in a double epsiode whereby we can see him firstly make it back to 2023, and then a follow up to see him reconnect with his family, etc. Then we can put the old series to bed and move on with the new team.

I half expected him to show up right at the very end when Ben was meant to be leaping back home.

Amir

No evil leapers, no real overarching big bad, no targeted leaps, from what I read the other day from the showrunner. Ben was lost as per the teaser for Season 2 which aired straight after the finale. So it becomes a bit more like the original in trying to get Ben home.
That's good, though they'll surely still have to find stories for the project staff. I'm sure there will be some sort of season arc. I'd love it to be Sam, but who knows what made Bakula decide not to take part.

Big Andy

Bloke
That's good, though they'll surely still have to find stories for the project staff. I'm sure there will be some sort of season arc. I'd love it to be Sam, but who knows what made Bakula decide not to take part.
I read the original pilot script on Reddit that was about at the time, it was utter wank. Probably that. It was the earthquake episode, but it ended with Sam being in it at the end, but in the shittest way ever. I'd have turned it down too.

http://tvwriting.co.uk/tv_scripts/2022/Drama/Quantum_Leap_1x01_-_Pilot.pdf

Amir

I read the original pilot script on Reddit that was about at the time, it was utter wank. Probably that. It was the earthquake episode, but it ended with Sam being in it at the end, but in the shittest way ever. I'd have turned it down too.

http://tvwriting.co.uk/tv_scripts/2022/Drama/Quantum_Leap_1x01_-_Pilot.pdf
It's bad enough I watched the episode as it was, I can't bear myself to read the original version. If I do, I'll probably think "Sam Becket(t) never came home" is a better ending.

Hopefully this is what turned Scott Bakula away. If it is, it's fixable with better writing.

Big Andy

Bloke
It's bad enough I watched the episode as it was, I can't bear myself to read the original version. If I do, I'll probably think "Sam Becket(t) never came home" is a better ending.

Hopefully this is what turned Scott Bakula away. If it is, it's fixable with better writing.
INT. HOUSE - OFFICE - NIGHT (PRESENT DAY)
The Signet Ring on the hand of the MYSTERY WOMAN. PAN UP TO REVEAL JANIS CALAVICCI (40s) -- Al's daughter. She stands in front of a WORK WALL -- NEWS ARTICLES about SOLAR FLARES. ASTROLOGICAL CHARTS.

PHOTOS of SAM BECKETT and AL CALAVICCI (Dean Stockwell).

And an ARRAY OF MONITORS that SHOW a LIVE FEED from inside QL headquarters.

In the REFLECTION of the MONITOR we SEE a YOUNG MAN (30's) standing next to Janis. In the REFLECTION we SEE the Young Man say --

YOUNG MAN "Your father would be proud". Something about his voice -- it sounds vaguely familiar -- as we ARM AROUND TO REVEAL -

Standing next to Janis is DR. SAM BECKETT. Holy shit! The YOUNG MAN whose reflection we see in the monitor is someone Sam has leaped into in 2022! (Don't worry, we'll explain it all in episode two.)

SAM "I just wish he was here to see it through to the end."
I love the way they say "HOLY SHIT" in the actual script. I don't love that it is the shittiest ending to a script I've ever seen

Amir

I love the way they say "HOLY SHIT" in the actual script. I don't love that it is the shittiest ending to a script I've ever seen
It's like the writers knew it was weak so they tried to make it look better by writing Holy Shit, even though it's not something that can make it onto the screen. :lol:

If they had a sense of humour they would have written Oh Boy.

Big Andy

Bloke
Already well prepared.

And then also disappointed not to hear anything new about Bakula's involvement.
Some friends they are. Mate (and lover) lost in time, but rather than using the government TIME TRAVEL project o go and look for him, they just shut it down and move on with their lives. Guarantee that Addison is now married to some proper nobhead as well.

Amir

Some friends they are. Mate (and lover) lost in time, but rather than using the government TIME TRAVEL project o go and look for him, they just shut it down and move on with their lives. Guarantee that Addison is now married to some proper nobhead as well.
They've learned nothing from Sam :lol:

Really liked the episode. And the twist makes is extra interesting for the next few weeks at least.

Big Andy

Bloke
They've learned nothing from Sam :lol:

Really liked the episode. And the twist makes is extra interesting for the next few weeks at least.
Looks like I called it right with the moving on bit, although doesn't seem like a nobhead.

Infuriating bit of that episode was how long it took the swat team to get the the storage cupboard while they had the heart to heart chat, how fecking big is that building ffs. Decent episode though.

Amir

Looks like I called it right with the moving on bit, although doesn't seem like a nobhead.

Infuriating bit of that episode was how long it took the swat team to get the the storage cupboard while they had the heart to heart chat, how fecking big is that building ffs. Decent episode though.
I also thought that the idea that the bank women would say she shot the robber in self defence (in the back!) was a little silly. Luckily they explained her brother didn't let her do it eventually.

Still, yeah, good episode and it made it quite interesting looking ahead, even though Addison having a new guy was as expected as it gets.

Big Andy

Bloke
I also thought that the idea that the bank women would say she shot the robber in self defence (in the back!) was a little silly. Luckily they explained her brother didn't let her do it eventually.

Still, yeah, good episode and it made it quite interesting looking ahead, even though Addison having a new guy was as expected as it gets.
Have to say I really like Ian in the hologram role. At this point they could probably get rid of Jen and Magic and even Addison and just have Ian do the whole thing (which he did anyway).

Some new woman recurring character comes into it next week so hopefully that ties into Sam somehow.

Big Andy

Bloke
Really good episode again @Amir although they never explained what Ian did during the 3 years which was the cliffhanger to the last episode. Interested to see who that waitress is in the future, as she's a recurring character in S2. Wonder if she's a leaper or Ben searches her out in future leaps to help him try to get home?

PS: hope all good at home with all this shit going on.

Amir

Really good episode again @Amir although they never explained what Ian did during the 3 years which was the cliffhanger to the last episode. Interested to see who that waitress is in the future, as she's a recurring character in S2. Wonder if she's a leaper or Ben searches her out in future leaps to help him try to get home?
I thought it was OK. Felt it took a bit of time to get going and only became interesting to me once they've started getting closed to the actual source.

Certainly left plenty of interest for the next few episodes, though. They have gotten better both in terms of the story of the week and the longer arcs.

PS: hope all good at home with all this shit going on.
I'm OK, thanks. Not leaving the house much as it is better to stay close to the safe room for when the odd rocket is launched towards my area. Plus, admittedly, there's a little voice in my head worried as it is believed there are are terrorists around who are hiding in Israel, waiting to act.

TV is a good distraction.

Big Andy

Bloke
Latest episode I watched had about 8 minutes missing, apparently it was interrupted for the news about that shooter in America, not been able to find a full version online yet, so not watched it all yet, completely missed what happened between Ben and Addison, as it stopped when Ian was talking to Jen and then came back just as their blow up finished.

Decent enough, and I reckon that Addison's new bloke is going to use QL to try and bring his dead wife back.

Big Andy

Bloke
I thought it was OK. Felt it took a bit of time to get going and only became interesting to me once they've started getting closed to the actual source.

Certainly left plenty of interest for the next few episodes, though. They have gotten better both in terms of the story of the week and the longer arcs.

I'm OK, thanks. Not leaving the house much as it is better to stay close to the safe room for when the odd rocket is launched towards my area. Plus, admittedly, there's a little voice in my head worried as it is believed there are are terrorists around who are hiding in Israel, waiting to act.

TV is a good distraction.
Great latest episode I thought, was great to see Masuka from Dexter (Even though he was Japanese in that) in it with comedy Korean accent as well. Not sure I'm on board with Magic boning Al's wife though.

Last edited:

Amir

Great latest episode I thought, was great to see Masuka from Dexter (Even though he was Japanese in that) in it with comedy Korean accent as well. Not sure I'm on board with Magic boning Al's wife though.
Yeah, it was one of the better stories of the week so far.

It was probably not a coincidence they revelaed Magic's relationship on the same episode he took on Al's old role.

It's a little like they are focusing each week on another character and reveal what he's been up to in the three years that have passed.

Big Andy

Bloke
Yeah, it was one of the better stories of the week so far.

It was probably not a coincidence they revelaed Magic's relationship on the same episode he took on Al's old role.

It's a little like they are focusing each week on another character and reveal what he's been up to in the three years that have passed.
Best episode of the reboot the latest one.

Big Andy

Bloke
Yeah, probably. They've certainly raised the bar for ambition with a story that had consequences far more reaching than normal.
Felt more like an original QL episode, with the hologram peeping through walls, etc. I think he goes back to the 1600’s in his next leap, to the Salem Witch trials

Amir

Felt more like an original QL episode, with the hologram peeping through walls, etc. I think he goes back to the 1600’s in his next leap, to the Salem Witch trials
To be fair, nothing manages to feel "like an episode of the original" to me, but I've stopped looking for that a while back. I'm just enjoying it as it is.

I also like what they did with the revolving door or holograms. Again, because nothing feels like Sam and Al, maybe doing it differently is better, though I suspect it's temporary.

Big Andy

Bloke
To be fair, nothing manages to feel "like an episode of the original" to me, but I've stopped looking for that a while back. I'm just enjoying it as it is.

I also like what they did with the revolving door or holograms. Again, because nothing feels like Sam and Al, maybe doing it differently is better, though I suspect it's temporary.
Forgot this was back on this week, this writers strike has really pissed me off, but at least they had some episodes banked otherwise we’d still be waiting.

Not the best episode and didn’t like the way they just patched Ziggy to get round that hack thing. The next episode looks alright in Egypt though.

Amir

Not the best episode and didn’t like the way they just patched Ziggy to get round that hack thing. The next episode looks alright in Egypt though.
I actually blinked and partially missed the Ziggy thing so I had to go back and watch it again. It really was pointless. They might as well have said nothing about it and it would have been fine. I would have expected it happened off-camera.

I thought the episode was decent enough. As for the next one, The New Curse of Ptah-Hotep? I guess not. But that was one of the more memorable episodes of the original for me.

Big Andy

Bloke
I actually blinked and partially missed the Ziggy thing so I had to go back and watch it again. It really was pointless. They might as well have said nothing about it and it would have been fine. I would have expected it happened off-camera.

I thought the episode was decent enough. As for the next one, The New Curse of Ptah-Hotep? I guess not. But that was one of the more memorable episodes of the original for me.
One of my favourite ones that in the original series.

Big Andy

Bloke

No mummies in this one, and quite why they had to go Egypt to film it seems daft when you consider budget etc. That Hannah girl is a right idiot as well, waiting for a guy who looks different every time, then just necking him regardless of what he looks like. Long wait now until the next episode, although look from the promo that they have a way to bring him home, which will obviously go awry. Maybe this is where Sam gets back if they can convince Bakula to come back for an episode or two.

Amir

That Hannah girl is a right idiot as well, waiting for a guy who looks different every time, then just necking him regardless of what he looks like.
You'd think that after a year or two of doing that, she'd let it go. But she continued for six years...

You have to give her credit, though - She's into him for his brain, as he looks different each time. :lol: If this wasn't network TV I'd firmly expect him to leap into a woman the next time he meets her.

Long wait now until the next episode, although look from the promo that they have a way to bring him home, which will obviously go awry. Maybe this is where Sam gets back if they can convince Bakula to come back for an episode or two.
If only... Unfortunately we'd probably have heard by now if this was happening.

But still, one can dream. They find a way to bring a leaper back, but only one. Then they somehow get to Sam and have to decide which one of the two to bring home...

Amir

@Big Andy Back from the mid-season break with a really good episode. Quite interesting to see where the Hannah link goes and what's the reason for it.

I wonder if for whatever reason, she ends up being pulled by the project into the future instead of Ben

Whatever happens, we'll know soon. Just forr episodes left in season 2.

Big Andy

Bloke
@Big Andy Back from the mid-season break with a really good episode. Quite interesting to see where the Hannah link goes and what's the reason for it.

I wonder if for whatever reason, she ends up being pulled by the project into the future instead of Ben

Whatever happens, we'll know soon. Just forr episodes left in season 2.
I’ve not caught up yet as I’m on holiday, back Tuesday so will catch up then.

Big Andy

Bloke

Whatever happens, we'll know soon. Just four episodes left in season 2.
So I'm fully caught up now. The latest episode was decent enough, but a few sticking points for me.

1. Seems like just about anyone can walk into the top secret time travel project whenever they want. Do they have no security at this TIME TRAVEL FACILITY??
2. Weakest flood ever. Why not just stay in the church? Also, why did the dad send them there if he knew it was going to potentially drown them? He must have known if he'd already found the treasure. Cheers Dad.
3. They had to shoe-horn in some gender politics in. As if Dean would just bind their tits and then agree that being 'non-binary' is a great way to describe themselves, and their sister would just be like "yeah that's cool" in the 1950's.

If this gets cancelled during the end of season shutdown without resolving Ben AND Sam's stories, then I'm going to be doubly pissed. Waiting 30 years to find out what happened to Sam Beckett and then having another lost leaper would be a kick in the nuts.

Amir

1. Seems like just about anyone can walk into the top secret time travel project whenever they want. Do they have no security at this TIME TRAVEL FACILITY??
2. Weakest flood ever. Why not just stay in the church? Also, why did the dad send them there if he knew it was going to potentially drown them? He must have known if he'd already found the treasure. Cheers Dad.
3. They had to shoe-horn in some gender politics in. As if Dean would just bind their tits and then agree that being 'non-binary' is a great way to describe themselves, and their sister would just be like "yeah that's cool" in the 1950's.

If this gets cancelled during the end of season shutdown without resolving Ben AND Sam's stories, then I'm going to be doubly pissed. Waiting 30 years to find out what happened to Sam Beckett and then having another lost leaper would be a kick in the nuts.
Yeah, I agree with all your points.

Regarding the last one, I think it's one of the stronger NBC shows right now, so hopefully it's here to stay.

I'm not holding much hope right now as Scott Bakula just doesn't seem to want to do it for whatever reason, but I'd be really disappointed if we don't get a resolution for Sam during the revival. It would be so incomplete. Losing Ben too? Unthikable... Can only hope that even in the worst case scenario, NBC would treat it better and give the show runners a better heads up than they did 30 years ago.

Big Andy

Bloke
Losing Ben too? Unthikable... Can only hope that even in the worst case scenario, NBC would treat it better and give the show runners a better heads up than they did 30 years ago.

Big Andy

Bloke
@Amir Episode 11 was decent, some proper leaping there and even the future shit wasn't too overbearing.

Why on earth don't they use Addison as a fecking invisible spy ffs like they used to do with Al? That guy just walked up to them in that office with a gun!! Just station Addison outside the door and she can warn Ben, it's not hard.

Wasn't surprised with the Magic resignation either, he's got to get to New York to bust some ghosts. Intrigued to see how they end the series and if it's on a cliffhanger or not. All I'm saying is that they'd fecking better end it properly and neatly tie off all of the threads from this and the previous series in a lovely bow, or I'm going to riot

Amir

@Amir Episode 11 was decent, some proper leaping there and even the future shit wasn't too overbearing.

Why on earth don't they use Addison as a fecking invisible spy ffs like they used to do with Al? That guy just walked up to them in that office with a gun!! Just station Addison outside the door and she can warn Ben, it's not hard.

Wasn't surprised with the Magic resignation either, he's got to get to New York to bust some ghosts. Intrigued to see how they end the series and if it's on a cliffhanger or not. All I'm saying is that they'd fecking better end it properly and neatly tie off all of the threads from this and the previous series in a lovely bow, or I'm going to riot
They've certainly upped the level of the leaps and episodes since the start of season 1.

It's the second week running you've been talking about wanting to end the season when everything is tied off. Do you know something about a season 3 or a cancellation that I don't? I know the show's ratings have suffered since it returned and moved to Tuesday, but it's been so very few episodes so hopefully it won't be a big deal when NBC decides what to do with it.

I doubt they'll finish the season with Ben coming home and everything is perfect, unless they know they are not coming back or something. Of course, they can also bring him home and send him back leaping - or Addison, here's a thought - if they get another season.