Question about the suspension of leagues: upon reinstatement, what happens with those due out of contract in the summer?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
If, for example, the Utd - Spurs game is called off and the suspension of the league takes place and then these two sides reconvene in a few months time, are the likes of Pogba, Rashford, Kane and Son (long term injured at the time of suspension) then allowed to play?

Is there anything in place that would prevent that from happening? A lot of sides will benefit massively from a suspension, whilst others would lose out by then having to face considerably stronger sides than they would have.

What happens in this kind of scenario?

billdrama

I think so because it would be just like games being postponed.
Indeed. There have been various situations where a player was suspended/injured when a game was initially due to take place but then returned.

There'd be no way of policing it otherwise really because how would you know what game Harry Kane would have returned for if the season had progressed as normal for instance? And what would you do if a player who was fit when the game was originally meant to be played subsequently became injured - it wouldn't be fair to say that as well as not being able to play the injured player you can't play someone who's now fit either.

I guess one interesting thing would be if the season extended into July (?) and some players were out of contract whilst teams could also sign other players. Would they be allowed to play or would something be put in place to stop a team suddenly being able to invest heavily before the last game or two of the season?

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Premier League rule article 18.4 states any break lasting longer than 65 days in the middle of the season as a result of global disease will result in the players unavailable at the time of the original outbreak not being allowed to play the rescheduled game...

DON’T PANIC ™

On the flip side, say a player who’s fit now gets injured, should they force them to play the rearranged fixture with two broken legs?

What a daft question!

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Without wanting to be a meanie, that’s a ridiculously silly question tbh. Of course they will be permitted to play. They are not suspended. They are permitted to play on Sunday if the game goes ahead too should they and the clubs choose to do so.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Feck all of ye and the heat for my q! :wenger:

There is obviously going to be vested interest from some parties for the league to be suspended then as they've a lot to gain from it
Indeed. There have been various situations where a player was suspended/injured when a game was initially due to take place but then returned.

There'd be no way of policing it otherwise really because how would you know what game Harry Kane would have returned for if the season had progressed as normal for instance? And what would you do if a player who was fit when the game was originally meant to be played subsequently became injured - it wouldn't be fair to say that as well as not being able to play the injured player you can't play someone who's now fit either.

I guess one interesting thing would be if the season extended into July (?) and some players were out of contract whilst teams could also sign other players. Would they be allowed to play or would something be put in place to stop a team suddenly being able to invest heavily before the last game or two of the season?
Despite the heat for my q (feck the lot of 'em! :wenger:) there's all sorts of implications here!

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
If, for example, the Utd - Spurs game is called off and the suspension of the league takes place and then these two sides reconvene in a few months time, are the likes of Pogba, Rashford, Kane and Son (long term injured at the time of suspension) then allowed to play?

Is there anything in place that would prevent that from happening? A lot of sides will benefit massively from a suspension, whilst others would lose out by then having to face considerably stronger sides than they would have.

What happens in this kind of scenario?
This type of scenario happens every single season in a smaller scale when a matchgame is moved a week or two because someoen is playing the europa cup. So to answer your question, yes they are absolutely allowed to play. But I understand where you're coming from, but like i said, this happens every season :)

mu4c_20le

Spurs and Chelsea are going to benefit the most from this. Therefore, lets just void the season.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Premier League rule article 18.4 states any break lasting longer than 65 days in the middle of the season as a result of global disease will result in the players unavailable at the time of the original outbreak not being allowed to play the rescheduled game...
@Damien he’s spreading false info! Ban him!

Charles Miller

I could be wrong, but i think that, by the rules, they have to injury the players again, to avoid some ilegal advantage to clubs.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
I wouldn't mind but we beat Spurs with Son and Kane playing last time anyway.

Sad Chris

I think the thread is useful in the sense that it does raise other questions related to a possible postponement.

Who and how will a neutral committee decide if a team is capable to play or not?

Let's say Spurs claims they can’t play this weekend because one of their players was exposed to somebody who may be infected. What happens?

Obviously, some parties have a lot more to gain than others. But no, this is not a conspiracy theory. I’m sure that Jose would never swoop so low.
White text just because I know some of you expect it

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Of course they are not. Also, players that are not injured now and are injured when the game is replayed will be forced to play.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Although my question was merited(!) @billdrama asked a better one, so I've changed the title.

Perhaps the thread is better as a what if? Because there are a lot of questions to be asked.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Although my question was merited(!) @billdrama asked a better one, so I've changed the title.

Perhaps the thread is better as a what if? Because there are a lot of questions to be asked.
Now my post isn't as genuinely hilarious as it was.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Neither question is a sensible question mate.

hahah, of course man.

Most simple solution right now is to suspend all competitions until June, then if the situation is calmer, play the remaining game from June-August.

Start the new season in September after a short 3 week break, play the Euros next July.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
A better question is will out of contract and sold players be allowed to come back for a few weeks to play for their old club and finish what they started

The simple solution would be that the squads remain the same until the end of the season. Existing contract terms apply for the remainder of the season. Transfer window shifts and opens up only at the end of the season.

Everyone would be behind it.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
The simple solution would be that the squads remain the same until the end of the season. Existing contract terms apply for the remainder of the season. Transfer window shifts and opens up only at the end of the season.

Everyone would be behind it.
Except you. I like you now.

:lol:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
A better question is will out of contract and sold players be allowed to come back for a few weeks to play for their old club and finish what they started
That’s what I thought the question was. E.G. if we didn’t sign Ighalo — what happens there if the league overruns?