g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Quique Setién

PuyolC

Supports
Barcelona
I watched the game yesterday. Setién is suited to Spanish Football or La Liga. Imo when Valverde leaves Barcelona they should hire him. His aproach to football is more suited to the Barcelona way.

This season they have been more inconsistent, Carvalho and Lo Celso are improving recently on midfield, Guardado is important to cover them, but they have some weaknesses.

The first is they feel more confortable playing against teams like Barcelona, Real Madrid, Celta or Milan, than Levante, Valladolid or Getafe? Why? Because against those teams they have more space to play, while against the other types of teams they happily let them have the ball and wait for their mistakes.

I think he is a purist regarding possession football, guess his inspiration is Cruyff. The other weakness is they don't have reliable goalscorers upfront, only Loren or Sanabria. Of course when everything flows Lo Celso, Canales, Junior or Joaquin can make damage :drool:, because William like any portuguese midfielder can't shoot to save his life :lol:

Now seriously, while I think United seriously needs someone with fresh ideas, for me Setién approach only has one name: Barcelona. Not even Real Madrid for that matter.

Eddie Howe or Pochettino :wenger:
In my opinion Quique Setien would be a terrible option. Instead of looking at the match against Barca and say that he's a genius because his team scored 4 goals against us you should look at the whole picture.

Quique Setien's teams concede an insane amount of goals, which means it would almost impossible to win the league title. Last year Betis conceded 60 fecking goals in 38 matches.

If you watched Betis this season you would notice how they often look clueless in the final third against a parked bus. They often pass the ball backwards and sideways for 90 minutes without any real penetration, just like Barca often does in away matches against relegation or mid-table teams.

The only thing that Quique Setien improves is the ability of his teams to play out from the back, but Barca don't need it at all since they have always played that way. They need a coach who improves their play in the final third and their off the ball movement, someone like Klopp or Guardiola, or a coach who brings defensive stability, someone like Allegri or Conte. Quique Setien doesn't offer either of those things.

Reactions: Jippy

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I did see your post and completely agree with you. His style is best suited to Barca, and I can't see him leaving La Liga either, but this is the football i want to see United play. I want us to dominate possession and inflict our game on others instead of reacting to our opposition.

as you know, it'd be a risk, but I'd have faith that we'd enjoy some good times under him. For me, there isn't much choice now that Sarri, Klopp and Pep are all taken. Aside from Setién, there's probably only a couple of other managers I'd be in favour of that are maybe gettable. First is Pochettino who is my first choice but completely unlikely. Then there's Hasenhuttl who'd be a huge risk and wouldn't be considered anyway. Then there's Zidane, Jardim, Blanc, all of whom I'm uncertain over. It's slim pickings at the moment.
Pochettino or Howe from the Premier League. Even more Kamikaze would be Graham Potter from Swansea. I know everyone would think I am crazy. Hassenhuttl nah forget it, even with Rangnick semiretired they are doing more or less the same thing. From abroad very risky but I would keep an eye on Marco Rose. Another crazy idea I know, but looking at former Red Bull coaches they have been doing ok when they leave Salzburg.

Regarding Jardim, after Monaco he needs to choose the right club, this last impact wasn't good for him, United is a big ship and if things started going badly don't know how would the reaction be. I actually like more Paulo Fonseca than him, but looking at Donestk last 2 performances vs City I think his last presentation on England soil is something he will not want to remember for a few years. :D

Plenty of options, but Pochettino or Howe are safer bets to make imo.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
In my opinion Quique Setien would be a terrible option. Instead of looking at the match against Barca and say that he's a genius because his team scored 4 goals against us you should look at the whole picture.

Quique Setien's teams concede an insane amount of goals, which means it would almost impossible to win the league title. Last year Betis conceded 60 fecking goals in 38 matches.

If you watched Betis this season you would notice how they often look clueless in the final third against a parked bus. They often pass the ball backwards and sideways for 90 minutes without any real penetration, just like Barca often does in away matches against relegation or mid-table teams.

The only thing that Quique Setien improves is the ability of his teams to play out from the back, but Barca don't need it at all since they have always played that way. They need a coach who improves their play in the final third and their off the ball movement, someone like Klopp or Guardiola, or a coach who brings defensive stability, someone like Allegri or Conte. Quique Setien doesn't offer either of those things.
They actually are suffering less goals than last season. And at Barcelona he would have better players. Not saying there aren't risks because I mentioned a few today.

Didn't watched them only yesterday, also watched their first defeat of the season, a 0:3 vs Levante, or how they struggle against teams like Valladolid or Getafe. I mentioned his football approach is more Barcelona than Real Madrid or Manchester United, not saying it wouldn't be a risk. But at Barcelona he would have much better players, its a fact.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
With regards to them being 12th, they have dominated a lot of games and play great football but struggle to score goals until the last couple of games. Missed some ridiculous sitters in games they didn't win. Bit of a false position for now, will finish in top 6 or so, which is a good effort given the competition.

PuyolC

Supports
Barcelona
They actually are suffering less goals than last season. And at Barcelona he would have better players. Not saying there aren't risks because I mentioned a few today.

Didn't watched them only yesterday, also watched their first defeat of the season, a 0:3 vs Levante, or how they struggle against teams like Valladolid or Getafe. I mentioned his football approach is more Barcelona than Real Madrid or Manchester United, not saying it wouldn't be a risk. But at Barcelona he would have much better players, its a fact.
Sure, he would have better players but these same players struggle a lot when they play away against mid-table teams that park the bus. Barcelona's problem is not the inability of playing out from the back but the atrocious off the ball movement required to break a team with 11 players behind the ball. I don't see Quique Setien improving that.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Sure, he would have better players but these same players struggle a lot when they play away against mid-table teams that park the bus. Barcelona's problem is not the inability of playing out from the back but the atrocious off the ball movement required to break a team with 11 players behind the ball. I don't see Quique Setien improving that.
If you want my opinion don't know if Allegri style or even Conte would be well accepted at Barcelona but that is another matter.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
https://www.football-espana.net/75152/quique-setien-chess-fundamental-my-training-philosophy

“There are more similarities: if you take control of the centre of the board or the middle of the field, you have a higher chance of winning.

“If you coordinate the pieces well, you achieve a connection between them (everyone has to defend and be ready to attack).

Nah we'll plod on with Jose and his Noughts 'n' Crosses ta
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&r...d-crosses-2/&usg=AOvVaw2jL0hADcPXcKPX-sWFwytr

PuyolC

Supports
Barcelona
If you want my opinion don't know if Allegri style or even Conte would be well acepted at Barcelona if you want my opinion, but that is another matter.
No, of course they wouldn't be well accepted but every manager that wins titles in the end will be appreciated by the fans. I don't think that with Allegri Barca would play worse football than they're currently playing with Valverde. The difference is that with Allegri Barca would stop conceding goals and would almost certainly win the league title.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
No, of course they wouldn't be well accepted but every manager that wins titles in the end will be appreciated by the fans. I don't think that with Allegri Barca would play worse football than they're currently playing with Valverde. The difference is that with Allegri Barca would stop conceding goals and would almost certainly win the league title.
Its one way to look into the problem. The other one is the style of play, and you should know better than me that counts a lot for Barcelona fans, media, the ex players etc.

PuyolC

Supports
Barcelona
Its one way to look into the problem. The other one is the style of play, and you should know better than me that counts a lot for Barcelona fans, media, the ex players etc.
Yes I know but as you can see last season no one questioned Valverde even if most of the season we were playing so bad:lol:

In the end what fans of big clubs want are titles.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
Yes I know but as you can see last season no one questioned Valverde even if most of the season we were playing so bad:lol:

In the end what fans of big clubs want are titles.
I would swear Valverde was seriously questioned after being knocked out by Roma, and I know some Barcelona fans who frankly aren't excited with him. Well after trashing Real Madrid they don't say nothing, but again looking at that Madrid under Lopetegui was like watching the Monty Python :lol:

PuyolC

Supports
Barcelona
I would swear Valverde was seriously questioned after being knocked out by Roma, and I know some Barcelona fans who frankly aren't excited with him. Well after trashing Real Madrid they don't say nothing, but again looking at that Madrid under Lopetegui was like watching the Monty Python :lol:
That's exactly my point, people started questioning Valverde only after Roma, which means media and fans of big clubs only care about the results and not about the performances. We had plenty of terrible matches before Roma but we won thanks to Messi/luck/Ter Stegen saving almost everything and all were praising the manager as a tactical genius :lol:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Better than Eddie Howe or just a fancier name?
Fancier name? Hardly anyone has heard of him on this thread, it's hardly Zidane level hyping. :lol:

Yagami made a good point, he kept Las Palmas up for two seasons (they were comfortably relegated the season after he left) so he's shown he can get good results playing the same style at Las Palmas with largely poor players and now at Betis who have a good squad.

Next step is obviously a top 4 squad (maybe he'll get a chance at Valencia if Marcelino dosen't pick up more wins?) or the National team.

midnightmare

Fabulous. Reminds me in a way of the one LvG quote I found myself in full agreement with. "If you have the ball, the opposition can't score". The rest of it is about how you use the ball to score goals yourself. I'd disagree with the allegation of sterile domination. Betis are shooting a lot per game - and have just missed a lot of sitters and easy chances. Also, it takes time to perfect his system - specially with the funds he has at his disposal. Given the time he's spent there so far, he's progressing rapidly in the right direction.

RooneyLegend

Used to love watching his Las Palmas side. His Betis side are also pretty good. Needs a bigger job. All that stuff about him being suited to whatever league is nonsense. Look at What a Sarri did in Serie A, What Pep has done in the prem. That brand of football just works. That was a tactical masterclass vs Barca.