Music R.I.P Daniel Johnston

Sweet Square

Daniel Johnston, the outsider folk artist whose childlike pleas for love captivated the likes of Kurt Cobain and Tom Waits, has died. The singer died of a heart attack, The Austin Chronicle reported. He was 58.

Johnson had been in poor health, according to the paper. Although he had been diagnosed with schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, his physical wellbeing suffered after he took a fall and was hospitalized; he also had to contend with changes in his medication routine.

The singer will best be remembered for his warbly, high tenor and simplistic ruminations on love and life on songs like “Life in Vain,” “True Love Will Find You in the End,” and “Walking the Cow.” On his best songs, his voice ached with earnestness and longing, features that attracted a number of high-profile fans. Cobain wore a T-shirt repping Johnston’s Hi, How Are You album (also a mural in Austin, Texas), and artists including Flaming Lips, Death Cab for Cutie, Bright Eyes, and Beck have all covered his songs

Also worth checking out this brilliant documentary

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Never heard of him but the song you posted there is very much my scene, so I'll investigate.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Ah, that's sad. I really like a few of his songs.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
First learned about him through the Apple commercial. Song always felt so sad and real.

Last edited:

RamblingRebel

Hitler dead!
Supports
Burnley
Bummer, RIP man. His stuff was true and from the heart...quite beautiful and yet sad. Don't think I have heard music as pure as he made.

stepic

it’s even more difficult to watch now but this live version of don’t play cards with satan always got me