Race for top 4 | Finito.

RuudTom83

To be honest people say this every year, yet it seems like every year at least one big top 4 contender shits the bed - like us last season or Chelsea + Liverpool this season. And every year there's a big surprise team in the mix - like Leicester, West Ham or Brighton. Even Fulham were flirting with top 4 this season.

It definitely has become more competitive over the years but I doubt it's going to be more than the usual 3-4 teams fighting it out. It's just too difficult to predict what happens next season.
True...I just feel if Liverpool/Chelsea have 10-18 less games next season they will enjoy the benefit Newcastle are having currently...1 game a week would be a luxury for any manager.

But yes number of games is only one part of the equation.

ManUnitedCanuck

Big 3 points yesterday, with the race for top 4 in mind. With others dropping points it was big for us to get the full points on the road with the injuries we have.

When you look at the others we are competing against the maximum points they can reach are (they win all their remaining matches):
Newcastle - 80
Tottenham - 74
Brighton - 77

I expect each of them to drop points along the way, so think somewhere around 13 points in our remaining 8 matches should get us over the line. We will definitely drop points and play both Spurs and Brighton away. Hopefully get some players back and get the necessary points to take some pressure off near the end of the season.

lex talionis

Third place is sorted. The only question is whether Newcastle will bottle it for either Spurs or Villa.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Liverpool have a proper piss easy 8 games remaining. West Ham away is their toughest one considering they’re still good at home.
They won't win all 8 remaining, but even if they did, that only gets them 71 points... We need 12 points from 8 games to get that

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Liverpool have a proper piss easy 8 games remaining. West Ham away is their toughest one considering they’re still good at home.
The last few fixtures of a season often turn form on its head. Good teams hit the beach. Crap teams fighting for their lives. You even get weird shit like relegated teams upping their game when the pressure’s off.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
They won't win all 8 remaining, but even if they did, that only gets them 71 points... We need 12 points from 8 games to get that
Oh they won’t be catching us. They can catch Newcastle though. Tonight is the best I’ve seen them away from home in a while - this keeping TAA inverted seems to help them. Leeds are shite though.

Edit - I’ve jinxed it :drool:

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Yeah, I’ve been saying for a few weeks, they have a semi-decent shot at 4th place. People will be surprised but they can easily win 6/7 of their last 8 games.

BorisManUtd

Really no bad scenarios...

Newcastle win:
3. Newcastle - 59pts / 31 games
4. MUFC - 59pts / 30 games
5. Spurs - 53pts / 32 games

Draw:
3. MUFC - 59pts / 30 games
4. Newcastle - 57pts / 31 games
5. Spurs - 54pts / 32 games

Spurs win:
3. MUFC - 59pts / 30 games
4. Newcastle - 56pts / 31 games
5. Spurs - 56pts / 32 games
Spurs win would be bad scenario for me. Brings them closer before they host us the next game.

Either finishing 3rd or 4th behind Newcastle, it would be meaningless anyways.

U99ted

Liverpool are always going on a run whenever they occasionally pick up 3 points.

acnumber9

Yeah, I’ve been saying for a few weeks, they have a semi-decent shot at 4th place. People will be surprised but they can easily win 6/7 of their last 8 games.
6 wins gives them 65 points. There’s no way that’s enough for fourth.

Djemba-Djemba

Liverpool win their first game in a month and we have posters talking about them winning 8 in a row or having a decent chance of top 4 :lol:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Liverpool are always going on a run whenever they occasionally pick up 3 points.
That’s because they are clearly better than what their league position suggests and are capable of going on a run. Only last season they won nearly every fecking game.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Extremely little chance Liverpool finish top four.

They have a good run-in, but so do Newcastle, and so Liverpool would need to get something like 20-24 points from the final eight to do it, and hope Newcastle slip up, with an OK set of fixtures. I don't think Newcastle will, and I don't think this Liverpool team is capable of that kind of run.

Josh 76

Liverpool win their first game in a month and we have posters talking about them winning 8 in a row or having a decent chance of top 4 :lol:
Because they have previous.
Newcastle 9 points ahead of them. 8 games to go. Stranger things have happened.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Will be a good scrap between Pool, Villa and Brighton for 5-7th. Can definitely see Spurs finishing out of the European places.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
I’ve just stuck 20 quid on them finishing top 4. It’ll soften the blow when it inevitably happens. They’ve been good at home all season and their away games outside of West Ham are games you’d want. They also have previous for this - this scenario happened 2 seasons ago.

Djemba-Djemba

I’ve just stuck 20 quid on them finishing top 4. It’ll soften the blow when it inevitably happens. They’ve been good at home all season and their away games outside of West Ham are games you’d want. They also have previous for this - this scenario happened 2 seasons ago.
You've just wasted 20 quid in my opinion.

Bilbo

TeaBaggins
That’s because they are clearly better than what their league position suggests and are capable of going on a run. Only last season they won nearly every fecking game.
And this season they've won less than half. They need to win half of their remaining games just to reach our current position

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
What are the odds saying? I went to put a few quid on City to win the treble earlier to soften the blow and it was fecking 3/1. Rubbish.

Guy Incognito

The last few fixtures of a season often turn form on its head. Good teams hit the beach. Crap teams fighting for their lives. You even get weird shit like relegated teams upping their game when the pressure’s off.
Yep, worst time to play teams at the bottom - especially this season when they are fighting to stay up.

Liverpool have left it too late for fourth. Newcastle are far more consistent.

BorisManUtd

Do hope Liverpool drop points at West Ham and/or in one of home games (Fulham/Brentford/Villa). Expect them to win rest of games so dropping points in 1-2 games would make it sure they don’t reach too many points.

Djemba-Djemba

If they were going to go on a mad run and storm into top 4 you'd think the small matter of beating us 7-0 would have been the start of it.

This is their first win since then, against a Leeds side who lost 5-1 at home last week as well.

People need to calm down.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
We have as much chance of catching Arsenal as being caught by Liverpool.

Rossa

I still think they are lucky if they make top 6. Conference cup would be absolutely brilliant.

Let's not forget they need VAR and Meslier to win them matches. Bloody hell, another one, and another one where Meslier looks anything but a goalie.

Loon

:lol:
Newcastle must beat Tottenham and Everton that’ll be 9 ahead hopefully, not a Newcastle fan but want them top 4 as would be something different.
There dressing room shenanigans (after a league game) have made me want to see them fail.

Drizzle

They have an outside chance but they'd need to win pretty much every game. It is possible, this side does have goals in it and it's about as good a run of fixtures as you could possibly get. Also the teams above them play each other a few times. But really Newcastle (or us) would need to shit the bed and lose 3 or 4 games too.

U99ted

This isn’t last season though, is it? Each time they score 5, 7 or 9, they only get 3 points like everybody else, and they lost the other games against those teams. That’s why they are 8th with 13 wins in 30.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I still think they are lucky if they make top 6. Conference cup would be absolutely brilliant.

Let's not forget they need VAR and Meslier to win them matches. Bloody hell, another one, and another one where Meslier looks anything but a goalie.
They've got 5 home games and their away games are vs West Ham, Southampton and Leicester...

Mickeza

still gets no respect
They've got 5 home games and their away games are vs West Ham, Southampton and Leicester...
Exactly. West Ham is the only one they aren’t heavy favs for. They’ve also been outstanding in their last 2 games with TAA inverting - including the second half against the league leaders where they they should have scored 4.