Race for Top 5 finish - Possible 5 teams in CL next season

ShinjiNinja26

If City and Arsenal both get knocked out in the second leg will that be enough to prevent the PL getting a fifth spot or will Liverpool and West Ham’s run in the Europa still play a big part?

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
If City and Arsenal both get knocked out in the second leg will that be enough to prevent the PL getting a fifth spot or will Liverpool and West Ham’s run in the Europa still play a big part?
It's very close between Germany and England at the moment, so every result matters. Especially West Ham matters basically twice as they could kick out Leverkusen which would balance out Bayern proceeding.

Red00012

Each team has the same weighting in results regardless of CL or EL

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'd want us to have European football next season, of course, but I genuinely don't care if that comes in the Europa Conference..!! :lol:
Yeah I know the club have the financial benefits of being in the CL, and it may persuade certain players to sign during the transfer window, but honestly, as a fan, I'd just be happy to be involved in a competition that we might actually win.

I would honestly prefer to win the Conference rather than get knocked out at the CL Group stage again.

ShinjiNinja26

It's very close between Germany and England at the moment, so every result matters. Especially West Ham matters basically twice as they could kick out Leverkusen which would balance out Bayern proceeding.
Each team has the same weighting in results regardless of CL or EL
Cheers. It might sound petty but if we can’t secure fifth spot then I’d much rather the PL misses out altogether. Feck having Spurs or anyone else benefiting from this if we can’t. :lol:

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Cheers. It might sound petty but if we can’t secure fifth spot then I’d much rather the PL misses out altogether. Feck having Spurs or anyone else benefiting from this if we can’t. :lol:
On the contrary it would be absolutely disgraceful if United profited from the extra spot, considering that you were the worst English team in Europe this season. If the PL doesn't get it, United and Newcastle are to blame for it.

ShinjiNinja26

On the contrary it would be absolutely disgraceful if United profited from the extra spot, considering that you were the worst English team in Europe this season. If the PL doesn't get it, United and Newcastle are to blame for it.
Yeah we were garbage, it was an embarrassing effort from us in the CL this season. I don’t even think we’re at that level right now to compete. the only reason I was hoping we could nick fifth spot was getting CL football would ease the grip of FFP a little and it would be an easier sell to potential signings in the summer if we had CL next season.

Offsideagain

The CL with this set of players and this Manager would just be more heartache and embarrassment. It would swell the coffers though and relax FFP doubts, although it wouldn't surprise me if at some point our shirt sponsor would be Ineos or a subsidiary company like Grenadier or would that break the rules?

Dve

"All" we need to do is to win all our remaining games, then we will probably make top 5. Our run-in is quite light, so it's not totally undoable. Both Tottenham and Aston Villa (especially Tottenham) have a tough program and I can't see Tottenham getting many more points this season. If they (or Villa) totally bottles it, we might not even need to win them all.

Bournemouth - Man.Utd.
Man.Utd. - Newcastle
Man.Utd. - Sheffield United
Man.Utd. - Burnley
Crystal Palace - Man.Utd.
Man.Utd. - Arsenal
Brighton - Man.Utd.

Winning them all would see us ending on 70 points.

Tottenham's remaining fixtures:

Newcastle - Tottenham (potential loss)
Tottenham - Arsenal (likely loss)
Chelsea - Tottenham (potential loss)
Liverpool - Tottenham (likely loss)
Tottenham - Burnley (win)
Tottenham - Man.City (likely loss)
Sheffield U. - Tottenham (win)

So, let's say then end up collecting only 6 points; that would hand them a total of 66 points. In that case, we can afford losing one game.

And Aston Villa:

Arsenal - Aston Villa (likely loss)
Aston Villa - Bournemouth (win)
Aston Villa - Chelsea (win)
Brighton - Aston Villa (potential loss)
Aston Villa - Liverpool (likely loss)
Crystal Palace - Aston Villa (potential loss)

So let's say they win 2 and draw 2; they would end up on 68 points.

So, still a tiny hope, IMO.

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
"All" we need to do is to win all our remaining games, then we will probably make top 5. Our run-in is quite light, so it's not totally undoable. Both Tottenham and Aston Villa (especially Tottenham) have a tough program and I can't see Tottenham getting many more points this season. If they (or Villa) totally bottles it, we might not even need to win them all.

Bournemouth - Man.Utd.
Man.Utd. - Newcastle
Man.Utd. - Burnley
Man.Utd. - Arsenal
Brighton - Man.Utd.

So, let's say then end up collecting only 6 points; that would hand them a total of 66 points. In that case, we can afford losing one game.

And Aston Villa:

There is absolutely zero chance of us winning all our remaining games. In fact I could see us easily lose 3 games in that list with the Arsenal, Newcastle and Brighton games being the main stumbling blocks. We’re injury ravaged at the back and have no understanding of what a cohesive midfield should look like. We’d be lucky to nab a Europa conference spot.

Woziak

We can all forget 5th CL spot now as Liverpool getting smashed, West Ham losing all that gaslighting for the 5th spot is gone!

AndySmith1990

Bournemouth - Man.Utd.
Man.Utd. - Newcastle
Man.Utd. - Burnley
Man.Utd. - Arsenal
Brighton - Man.Utd.

And Aston Villa:

How can you watch United all season and then suggest there's even the smallest chance we'll win 7 games in a row

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
We can all forget 5th CL spot now as Liverpool getting smashed, West Ham losing all that gaslighting for the 5th spot is gone!
If Villa keep going and Arsenal kick Bayern out it's absolutely still possible for the PL.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
At best we're 8 points behind 5th whilst playing shit with 18 points left to win. Who cares how Germany v England finishes anymore. Our thoughts are towards whether or not we make the Europa League and whether or not we then atuotmatically qualify for the group stage or have to go through qualifying.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
At best we're 8 points behind 5th whilst playing shit with 18 points left to win. Who cares how Germany v England finishes anymore. Our thoughts are towards whether or not we make the Europa League and whether or not we then atuotmatically qualify for the group stage or have to go through qualifying.
Additional CL place means EL spot is also pushed down in the table. So this is relevant for knowing who plays in EL and ECL.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo

Bournemouth - Man.Utd.
Man.Utd. - Newcastle
Man.Utd. - Burnley
Man.Utd. - Arsenal
Brighton - Man.Utd.

And Aston Villa:

I'm sorry but to suggest there is even a tiny hope is ridiculous. Nothing whatsoever suggests we will win 8 games in a row, no chance at all.

brian017

Yep. Especially if Bayern knockout Arsenal. You‘d expect Leverkusen to win the EL now that Liverpool are all but out, which will help Germany pull away from England

Snow

Additional CL place means EL spot is also pushed down in the table. So this is relevant for knowing who plays in EL and ECL.
That's not what the thread is about. It's about if Spurs and Villa both making it to the CL and some others clinging to hope.

We have to focus on staying ahead of Newcastle, West Ham and Chelsea but preferably winning the cup.

BorisManUtd

Bournemouth - Man.Utd.
Man.Utd. - Newcastle
Man.Utd. - Burnley
Man.Utd. - Arsenal
Brighton - Man.Utd.

And Aston Villa:

We haven't managed 7 consecutive wins in league since January-March 2013.

SirBillNic

Supports
Spurs
Unless Arsenal beat Bayern (unlikely), it's over now. Only 4th will get champions league.

At the moment I'm pretty confident we'll finish ahead of Villa but would have been nice to have 5th as an insurance policy.

Snow

Why would West Ham winning the EL change anything?

TH: Champions League title holders
EL: Europa League title holders
1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc.: League positions of the previous season
Extra: The additional berths given to clubs from the 2 associations with the highest coefficient points in 2023–24
Top 4 + possible 5th spot + possible 6th club if it wins the CL and doesn't qualify via league and possible 7th club if it wins the EL and doesn't qualify via league.

If the winner of the CL qualifies via league then that spot goes to the top association who has a champion in the qualification path but didn't automatically qualify for groups (Shakhtar Donetsk this season) and the same thing would happen with The EL.

It's just clickbait from Talksport. They don't even explain how West Ham winning would help United because there's no reason it would.

Dve

We haven't managed 7 consecutive wins in league since January-March 2013.
Counting cup games against Everton and Burnley, we managed to win 7 in a row January last year. It's far fetched, but winning 6 could be enough, and crazier things have happened. Winning the next 4 could give us the momentum needed and at least the players should know it's probably still in their hands.

spwd

Bournemouth - Man.Utd.
Man.Utd. - Newcastle
Man.Utd. - Burnley
Man.Utd. - Arsenal
Brighton - Man.Utd.

And Aston Villa:

I've heard of looking on the bright side but fecking hell have you not watched us? :houllier:

gantherbale

Why would West Ham winning the EL change anything?

Top 4 + possible 5th spot + possible 6th club if it wins the CL and doesn't qualify via league and possible 7th club if it wins the EL and doesn't qualify via league.

If the winner of the CL qualifies via league then that spot goes to the top association who has a champion in the qualification path but didn't automatically Tutuapp 9Apps qualify for groups (Shakhtar Donetsk this season) and the same thing would happen with The EL.

It's just clickbait from Talksport. They don't even explain how West Ham winning would help United because there's no reason it would.
Agreed . absolutely nonsense

Zed 101

West Ham are not finishing 5th or higher so it is kind of a moot point, and if they did almost certainly Villa or Spurs would be 6th and take the additional place, if we were talking about finishing on more points that Villa or Spurs (which is what we would need) then unlikely that West Ham would make a difference to us.... bottom line I think there is more chance that we finish 8th behind West Ham and Newcastle, I would say 10th behind Chelsea and Brighton but they both have very hard run ins

Chumpsbechumps

Looks like Italy is nailed on so we need the German teams to all fail.

Villa might cover some of Leverkusens run. Arsenal and City would make it more comfortable.

Hammondo

Well Liverpool and west ham have fecked it.

LilienFan

Supports
Darmstadt
More chance of us finishing 5th than West Ham let’s be honest.
That was some dumb sh*t article. Do people get paid for that. I´m not even sure it is actually accurate either, unless they changed the rules. I think if a team qualifies for the CL directly like West Ham would in their scenario as a 5th place finisher, then they just get to keep the spot as the Europa League winners. I think that only applies to the team winning the Europa League, but finishing outside the CL qualifying spots in their league. In 2019 Chelsea won the EL and finished 3rd in the EPL. Arsenal didn´t get an additional CL spot in 2020 for finishing 5th.

Pintu

Germany are really back in it with last night’s results. But still England favourites: 58% vs 42%