Racism in European Football

Classical Mechanic

The fact that, as you say, his life experiences are quite rare should make people heed his words with a rather large pinch of salt.

The people calling him a monkey could give 2 craps about his dad, now he has every right to compartmentalise those slurs as he did & it was obviously a good coping mechanism but using the words of a ‘exceptional negro’ in cases like this isn’t particularly good faith, we’ve seen cases of black people with perceived talents being treated differently to the majority of the diaspora, Barnes comes across as privileged & removed from the trappings a lot of blacks encounter.
But then if in 10 - 15 years time when the black Africans that are excelling to the highest level in the British education system become a middle to upper class group (this is already happening see Badenoch and Kwartang) what then? Poor white people and poor black people will still be poor.

Foxbatt

This has been going on for a long time. Too long and some here have the gall to come here and defend it is mind boggling. Anyone who supports or defends racist acts are racists themselves.

AFC NimbleThumb

But then if in 10 - 15 years time when the black Africans that are excelling to the highest level in the British education system become a middle to upper class group (this is already happening see Badenoch and Kwartang) what then? Poor white people and poor black people will still be poor.
I’m struggling to understand the question in response to the post. There is already a black middle class. . .

Classical Mechanic

I’m struggling to understand the question in response to the post. There is already a black middle class. . .
You view society through a racial lens. Barnes offers a different perspective where class is a greater weight than race when considering inequality. What then happens to the movement for equality if a significant number of black people in the UK move into the higher social classes, which appears to be a real possibility. If society is split between racial lines then what hope is there for solidarity among the working classes?

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Watch him get a fine from their FA and be reprimanded by his own ultra's.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They're going to try and identify the monkey droppings and then ban them for like 6 months, with a small fine, and everything is a-okay

Racism needs a zero tolerance policy, not this crap. Fans be racist - stop the league.

I see patetico fans racially abusing Vini hasn't made news outside Spain either...

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Withnail

https://www.skysports.com/football/...tomatic-forfeit-when-fans-commit-racist-abuse

Infantino says that the clubs whose fans have caused the match to be forfeited should lose points

whilst I agree something new needs to be done, not sure how I feel about this. What’s to stop an opposition fan from putting on a top of his rival, sit in their section and make racist noises? The wrong team then loses points
The process would have to be a little more robust than one where someone could get away with that. Besides it's not just one person, we've seen in europe whole sections of the support making these chants.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
The process would have to be a little more robust than one where someone could get away with that. Besides it's not just one person, we've seen in europe whole sections of the support making these chants.
Oh yeah I agree with that, I’m just showing how it could be abused

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Oh yeah I agree with that, I’m just showing how it could be abused
I think the idea would be to make the herd mentality work the other way: some idiot shouts something racist, and immediately the surrounding section is all over them to make them shut the feck up, cause they're harming the club. I can see that work - as long as you allow a moment for that dynamic to play out (and don't at that first shout).

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Must be said that for once everyone did their job with utmost respect and dignity. Normally you've got other players/opposition players, managers, refs, etc telling the player who's been abused to stay on the pitch and doing everything they can to stop the abused from acting. With this, the ref communicated it efficiently and clearly (thought he was very good) and everyone backed Maignan. Very impressed with that side of it at least. The less said about the racist idiots the better.