Racism in European Football

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It would be slightly less daft if that picture also included someone white but the only other player they bought recently is Hazard and he's anything but physical or athletic these days.
Fede Valverde is more of a physical player than all of those guys

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Boggles the mind that anyone is racist to begin with but football fans that are racist when they have black players playing for their own team is another level of stupid.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
In Spain, calling someone a monkey and bringing a black face doll is actually nothing to do with their colour. We would do well to remember that and not impose our Anglo centric viewpoint on their expressions. :angel:
:wenger:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Weird thread. I feel that while racism is alive and well in the US, it has been largely blunted in Europe. this sounds off, what was the exact wording

Josh 76

Boggles the mind that anyone is racist to begin with but football fans that are racist when they have black players playing for their own team is another level of stupid.
I was at a Utd game a few years ago with a few mates (black and white). Andy Cole missed a chance, and a Utd fan behind us shouted “your fecking shit, you black ……”

Within seconds he realised what he had said and started saying sorry to the black people in the crowd.

Was he racist ? I don’t think so
Was he a prick ? I think so

Withnail

I was at a Utd game a few years ago with a few mates (black and white). Andy Cole missed a chance, and a Utd fan behind us shouted “your fecking shit, you black ……”

Within seconds he realised what he had said and started saying sorry to the black people in the crowd.

100% he was racist, perhaps he didn't see himself as a racist but you don't use phrases like that in public unless you also use them in private.

Tarrou

eh? This is textbook racism

Last edited:

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
It's just so sad isn't it, i read someone's post in the Vini thread trying so hard to defend what that press guy said on live tv, using the figure of speech expression as an excuse, then it hit me- a racist person can't feel a thing for being racist, probably because they've never been on the receiving end.

Far as i know anybody can be racist White, Black, Spanish, Asians... for me the moment a person's thoughts or action to another person is solely down to skin complexion then deep down i think such person knows he/she is racist and from that moment on it's only a matter of time before they use racist slur in public.

I feel sad because football should bring us closer together not divide us.

Conor

Are we the baddies?

Smithy89

100% unequivocally racist.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

When Beckham was at fault for an Arsenal goal, would the guy shout “you white..” at Beckham or nah?

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

Nah, pretty much a racist.

Judas

Open to offers

Absolute racist. If he'd not been where he was, he'd have finished that sentence, probably said even worse.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Weird thread. I feel that while racism is alive and well in the US, it has been largely blunted in Europe. this sounds off, what was the exact wording
You wrote it backwards, but we totally understand what you meant.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's always funny and sad how people need to add skin colour to common insults that they wouldn't otherwise do.

If you think someone is a prick you call them a prick but when it's a black person being a prick some people feel it necessary to call them a black prick.

It seems to me that these people view being black as a character flaw.

OK_computer

Supports
Real Madrid
It's always funny and sad how people need to add skin colour to common insults that they wouldn't otherwise do.

If you think someone is a prick you call them a prick but when it's a black person being a prick some people feel it necessary to call them a black prick.

It seems to me that these people view being black as a character flaw.
But this goes both ways. I have heard somebody call me white boy numerous times, but it is what it is. It did make me feel uncomfortable, but if I was to accuse the person calling me that name racist, I would end up being labeled racist....

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Stupid. Yes. Prick. Yes. Racist. Yes.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine

Is this a serious post? I think so.
Was this person in the crowd secretly you? I think so.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

Of course he is a racist, when you shout something and you're without filters, without control, what you say truly defines you in that moment. No one says "you black..." out of nowhere. Maybe that guy doesn't realize it but he's a racist

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
"It happened outside the stadium, nothing we can do"
It's a legal void that a lot of clubs and FA's hide to excuse themselves. In Porto's celebrations last season a guy was stabbed dozens of times by Porto's ultras arround the stadium, and the reaction of the Portuguese Federation was the same.

Foxbatt

I have never heard of a Caucasian player being abused with monkey chants or throwing bananas.

Classical Mechanic

Personally I think Barnes is quite interesting on the subject of racism. He came to England as the son of Jamaican diplomat and says that when he was abused by white fans as a player he didn't experience any negative effects from it. The reason he cites for this is that he was brought up in elite society so when he was abused by poor white people (which made up much of the football crowd in those days) he saw those people as less than him so it had no effect. He saw them as uncivilised and beneath him. It's an interesting point of view in my opinion and at least lends some credence to the class based view of British society rather than the race based view.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Personally I think Barnes is quite interesting on the subject of racism. He came to England as the son of Jamaican diplomat and says that when he was abused by white fans as a player he didn't experience any negative effects from it. The reason he cites for this is that he was brought up in elite society so when he was abused by poor white people (which made up much of the football crowd in those days) he saw those people as less than him so it had no effect. He saw them as uncivilised and beneath him. It's an interesting point of view in my opinion and at least lends some credence to the class based view of British society rather than the race based view.
I think Barnes is right on some things but he's not an expert on racism and people shouldn't take his word solely on how to navigate these issues.

No race is a monolith and people should consider many different points of view from people within different races on how they feel about racism and what is and isn't racist. Moreover, it's worth listening to people who have actually studied the phenomena and can better explain the complexities of racism.

Tl;Dr John Barnes isn't the arbiter of racism

Classical Mechanic

I think Barnes is right on some things but he's not an expert on racism and people shouldn't take his word solely on how to navigate these issues.

No race is a monolith and people should consider many different points of view from people within different races on how they feel about racism and what is and isn't racist. Moreover, it's worth listening to people who have actually studied the phenomena and can better explain the complexities of racism.

Tl;Dr John Barnes isn't the arbiter of racism
I didn't say he's the arbiter of racism. He's just one voice among billions but his life circumstances are quite rare and may offer an interesting contrarian perspective. Personally I think his point of view is interesting because he speaks from a self critical perspective that recognises broad human psychology more than group identitarianism ever can.

Last edited:

AFC NimbleThumb

I didn't say he's the arbiter of racism. He's just one voice among billions but his life circumstances are quite rare and may offer an interesting contrarian perspective. Personally I think his point of view is interesting because he speaks from a self critical perspective that recognises broad human psychology more than group identitarianism ever can.
The fact that, as you say, his life experiences are quite rare should make people heed his words with a rather large pinch of salt.

The people calling him a monkey could give 2 craps about his dad, now he has every right to compartmentalise those slurs as he did & it was obviously a good coping mechanism but using the words of a ‘exceptional negro’ in cases like this isn’t particularly good faith, we’ve seen cases of black people with perceived talents being treated differently to the majority of the diaspora, Barnes comes across as privileged & removed from the trappings a lot of blacks encounter.