Racism in Italy - even anti-racism is filled with racism

Majiek7777

It's engrained into Italian culture sadly. It will be very difficult to erode it

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66037831

Italian FA bans number 88 on players' shirts as part of anti-Semitism initiative
Dunno, seems a bit like a token gesture. I appreciate in Europe squad numbers can be less conventional, but what does banning 88 really achieve?

If an anti-semite can't pick number 88 they're just gonna pick another number aren't they? The issue isn't the number, the issue is the person picking the number and presumably their lack of education.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Dunno, seems a bit like a token gesture. I appreciate in Europe squad numbers can be less conventional, but what does banning 88 really achieve?

If an anti-semite can't pick number 88 they're just gonna pick another number aren't they? The issue isn't the number, the issue is the person picking the number and presumably their lack of education.
Imagine you have 88 on your shirt, just because you like the number and then you accidentally wear a shirt with a Mussolini quote. If you don't have great hair some people may actually think you're a fascist. With this rule Serie A would protect its players and thus itself from such accidents. At basically no cost.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Because a squad size usually, at a push, is 25-30, with anything after 30 for youth players. There’s no real need to have shirt numbers higher than that.
Meh I disagree. Either just limit it to the numer of players in your squad or just let anyone pick for themselves - there's no reason 9 is a better suited number to play football with than 82 imo, so whatever.

Oranges038

Buffon wore 88 at Lazio, right?
At Parma. That was over 20 years ago, there was a bit of outrage at the time. He said he picked it because it reminded him of 4 balls, and something else about having balls.

Not much has changed in 20 years it seems.

AFC NimbleThumb

Meh I disagree. Either just limit it to the numer of players in your squad or just let anyone pick for themselves - there's no reason 9 is a better suited number to play football with than 82 imo, so whatever.
It’s not often, if ever, I agree with a pool fan but I do here.

As a previous poster said, the number 88 isn’t the issue, the issue is the anti-semite who would be wearing it for negative reasons.

Let them pick whatever, makes it easier to pick out the wrong’uns wearing 88 ‘just because’ anyway.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
It’s not often, if ever, I agree with a pool fan but I do here.

As a previous poster said, the number 88 isn’t the issue, the issue is the anti-semite who would be wearing it for negative reasons.

Let them pick whatever, makes it easier to pick out the wrong’uns wearing 88 ‘just because’ anyway.
Yeah exactly.

Mignolet started out at Bruges with 88. It caused a mini-storm in Belgium for exactly the neonazi-stuff reasonings, but he explained that '88 is his birth year and Bruges was his fourth club, so 4x22 (his old number) also equalled 88. Mentioned that he didn't even know about the 88 stuff when choosing the number.

(Still switched to 22 when it became available again the year after).

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Letting players choose for themselves is silly though. Sure let a player take 7 if they want a shirt with some tradition etc. but going for 88, 9+1 (Zamarano), 77 etc etc is all a bit silly.

Cloud7

At Parma. That was over 20 years ago, there was a bit of outrage at the time. He said he picked it because it reminded him of 4 balls, and something else about having balls.

:lol:

Wing Attack Plan R

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66037831

Italian FA bans number 88 on players' shirts as part of anti-Semitism initiative
The number 8 is seen as a lucky number or harbinger of good fortune for the Chinese, so 88 would be the dream number for Asian players/markets. Like the number 4 is associated with death. Banning 88 is kinda window dressing, lip service towards doing something about the blatant racism in Italian football. Maybe do something about the fascist solutes before banning a number?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea

:lol: :lol:

mu4c_20le

The number 8 is seen as a lucky number or harbinger of good fortune for the Chinese, so 88 would be the dream number for Asian players/markets. Like the number 4 is associated with death. Banning 88 is kinda window dressing, lip service towards doing something about the blatant racism in Italian football. Maybe do something about the fascist solutes before banning a number?
Eradicating fascism and superstition in one go.

0le

Anyway sticking to the topic I was in Naples for four days over the weekend they drew with Salertina and went to the match. (I’m black and Nigerian) I saw a number of Nigerian flags in the street and in the stadium. There are more pictures of Oshimen around Naples than any other Napoli player, comfortably. I saw several full body Oshimen pop ups around the city, maybe saw two of Kvara. I saw more shirts with Oshimen on the back than any other player. Based on all this I think it would be a stretch to suggest Napoli in general favour Kvara ahead of Oshimen as a footballer because one is white and one is black. That has absolutely nothing to do with any of the other very real racist instances continually tarnishing Serie A. This particular case definitely isn’t one to take up for judgment though….

On the flip side of all this, when out and about in Naples with my white girlfriend I received several unnecessarily long stares and glances. I also had food in a restaurant and questioned why my pizza was soaking in mozzarella water. The response from the waiter was that I was American and did not know neopolitan pizza….

This was my experience too when I went to Italy. Got stared at all the time. Had drivers go past physically turn their head, and stop looking at the road to briefly stare at me. It was very intimidating and I felt very uncomfortable there. But when you tell people this, they make out that you are paranoid or some shit. It is relieving only in an odd sense to learn that others have experienced it and that I was not paranoid.

Jeffthered

It's a shame and as many know, nothing new. How many remember Di Canio's antics there?

But nothing will happen. It's the 'ultras' and that's that. I'm pretty much a libertarian, instinct is to protest against much censorship and banning things. But you shouldn't be able to celebrate Adolf Hitler in a publicly accesible brewery. Keep such madness private.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It's a shame and as many know, nothing new. How many remember Di Canio's antics there?

But nothing will happen. It's the 'ultras' and that's that. I'm pretty much a libertarian, instinct is to protest against much censorship and banning things. But you shouldn't be able to celebrate Adolf Hitler in a publicly accesible brewery. Keep such madness private.
At least one of those guys was actually arrested and had to pay a fine. No idea why the police didn't identify more, I didn't see any details about that, probably he was stupid enough to being caught doing it when the police arrived or something like that? So it definitely has consequences, lead to the police arriving and stopping this.