Racism in Italy - even anti-racism is filled with racism

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Any substance to explain how you arrived at this conclusion?

I would not disagree that a lot of what is called racism is not racism indeed, but I think it may be clear that the reason for this is that people see things through the lenses of their history and past experiences. So yes, those lenses may indeed be tinted, and not everything that is seen as racism by really be so, but suggesting that people deliberately do this to seek comfort to cover their supposed inadequacies is quite something. It's simply a trauma response.

In the present example, while we don't have enough to call this racism, you also don't have enough to say that it isn't. Racism, European nationalism, Kvara simply having had a very good season, are all plausible explanations, and more than one of them may be true at the same time.
Being black myself, having lived in french neighborhoods full of diversity for close to 24 years and having some family living in France still.
Tbh I shouldn't have said "a lot", it amplified it too much but the point remains

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I despise people who make racist claims based on feck all. It hurts the genuine victims of it. A lot of people suffer from it but when you have clueless people who cry about it at the first slight perceived on them, it's detriemental to the cause
Do you think there's a possibility that this type of "That is absolutely 0% racism, move on" attitude will encourage people who feel that they may have been treated unfairly because of their skin colour to raise the issue and seek for support? Do you think that kind of attitude can also be detrimental to the cause? Not talking about this case only, thinking about this in a bigger picture.

OL29

Because a lot of black people find comfort in the notion of being victimized, it's a way to explain some of their struggles. Racism exists and it needs to be fought but sometimes it's a purely self made excuse
That’s disingenuous and very dismissive of the prejudice we’ve been subjected to for generations.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
point is that Maradona wasn't biggest goal scorer for Napoli back then must most iconic player.
Same as Kvara isn't being crowned for his most assists and goals done.
Else would we name any poacher as Maradona heir? Maradona was a master class player with dribbles and much more than just poaching.
That's pointless victimism as some say.

kouroux

Do you think there's a possibility that this type of "That is absolutely 0% racism, move on" attitude will encourage people who feel that they may have been treated unfairly because of their skin colour to raise the issue and seek for support? Do you think that kind of attitude can also be detrimental to the cause? Not talking about this case only, thinking about this in a bigger picture.
I am but one person, I don't speak to anybody about a subject like this in general. It's way too dividing so I wouldn't know how it'd influence people.

That’s disingenuous and very dismissive of the prejudice we’ve been subjected to for generations.
This is what I said afterwards

Being black myself, having lived in french neighborhoods full of diversity for close to 24 years and having some family living in France still.
Tbh I shouldn't have said "a lot", it amplified it too much but the point remains
It's my experience of the subject just like you have yours, I will never dare to judge how you or anybody else view things, that's not my place just like I don't care what people think of mine.

top1whoisman

Meet the press(conference)
Scout
I am but one person, I don't speak to anybody about a subject like this in general. It's way too dividing so I wouldn't know how it'd influence people.
Do you think it's worth thinking about for those who approach discussions like this with a definitive "no".

OL29

This is what I said afterwards

It's my experience of the subject just like you have yours, I will never dare to judge how you or anybody else view things, that's not my place just like I don't care what people think of mine.
But isn’t that what you’re doing by saying lots of black people take comfort in playing the victim? I get you exaggerated but it’s a massive generalisation about people’s struggles that you probably don’t have much insight into.

kouroux

Do you think it's worth thinking about for those who approach discussions like this with a definitive "no".
Each situation is different, some require a firm "no" because they're nonsensical, some are too tough to have a definitive answer and some are 100% legit cases of racism. There isn't a single perfect approach

kouroux

But isn’t that what you’re doing by saying lots of black people take comfort in playing the victim? I get you exaggerated but it’s a massive generalisation about people’s struggles that you probably don’t have much insight into.
You cannot tell me I have no insight on the subject because you disagree with me. It may be anecdotal but I have decades worth of experience on the subject and I'm perfectly fine with how I see things. You're right, I did initially exagerrate for sure but like I said, the point remains

OL29

You cannot tell me I have no insight on the subject because you disagree with me. It may be anecdotal but I have decades worth of experience on the subject and I'm perfectly fine with how I see things. You're right, I did initially exagerrate for sure but like I said, the point remains
I didn’t say you don’t have internet insight but I don’t think you have enough to be as sure of people’s motive as you are. Unless people are telling you explicitly that they’re intentionally claiming racism to further their own agenda I think it’d be good to be a bit more empathetic. We’re all shaped by our own experiences and perspective, and although some claims of racism are definitely inaccurate, it’s unfair to victimise the accusers considering what we've generally been subjected to.

Stacks

Thinking that people are 'desperate to call out racism for no reason' is, IMO, a racist viewpoint. Why would people be desperate to call out racism for no reason?
Just yesterday, black British actress Adjoa Andoh complained on TV that during the Royal coronation the balcony looked terribly white and she was very "struck" by that even though it is reserved for members of the Royal "family". I wonder who was she expecting on there, Skepta? John Boyega? Idris Elba maybe?
She was rinsed in the comments by black Britain's for the exactly what you query

kouroux

I didn’t say you don’t have internet insight but I don’t think you have enough to be as sure of people’s motive as you are. Unless people are telling you explicitly that they’re intentionally claiming racism to further their own agenda I think it’d be good to be a bit more empathetic. We’re all shaped by our own experiences and perspective, and although some claims of racism are definitely inaccurate, it’s unfair to victimise the accusers considering what we've generally been subjected to.
It's not internet insight though, it's been part of my life.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
point is that Maradona wasn't biggest goal scorer for Napoli back then must most iconic player.
Else would we name any poacher as Maradona heir? Maradona was a master class player with dribbles and much more than just poaching.
He was their biggest goalscorer

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Just yesterday, black British actress Adjoa Andoh complained on TV that during the Royal coronation the balcony looked terribly white and she was very "struck" by that even though it is reserved for members of the Royal "family". I wonder who was she expecting on there, Skepta? John Boyega? Idris Elba maybe?
She was rinsed in the comments by black Britain's for the exactly what you query
I'll ignore the racist overtones of your post and point out that the Royal Family in fact has non-white members. Again black people saying that something is not racist doesn't necessarily make it not racist. That's an old trick.

Pickle85

I'll ignore the racist overtones of your post and point out that the Royal Family in fact has non-white members. Again black people saying that something is not racist doesn't necessarily make it not racist. That's an old trick.
Good post.

Pintu

Gasperini defending the Atlanta fans who abused Vlahovic today:

+++ #Gasperini : "Pasalic, Djimsiti play in Atalanta, Ilicic, Sutalo and many players of that ethnic group have played here and things have to be differentiated: sometimes there are insults for other things, the racism is very serious and should not be confused"+++ #AtalantaJuventus

mu4c_20le

Thought I was reading a Daily Mail article for a sec! Good one.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City
I find this discussion so interesting because there are many elements to it. I think it's pretty clear that the Napoli fans love Osimhen but it appears that they love Kvara more. Apparently, Georgian flags are everywhere around the city and I've often seen Napoli fans holding them at games. I can't recall ever seeing Napoli fans holding Nigerian flags and the question has to be asked, why? He is at least as important to the team and the title win as Kvara, and it was very much a team effort, without one player being clearly the talisman, such as the case was with Maradona.

I know people wear the Osimhem mask and everything but I think it would mean a lot more to him if he saw Napoli fans holding the flag of his nation. If there are people who are Napoli fans on here who know different and can correct me on this, I'm happy to listen but i haven't seen it. Maybe there is a subtle racial thing there.

Then of course you have the fact that Kvara is more of a flair player, which is clearly why the Napoli fans have quite understandably taken him to their hearts. But I have to say that while I am an admirer of Kvara and his ability, i think Osimhen stood up much taller at the business end of the season and i think his injury was a big part of the reason that they stumbled so much towards the end in the league and the CL. I think Kvara'a form was nothing like what it was previously. The question of who is actually 'the guy' on that team or 'the face' of that team is a fascinating one. I was leaning Kvara until Victor's injury and then I realised how important his leadership and personality was to that team.
Why the feck should they wave his flag if they don't feel like it? Why is it mandatorily linked to the skin color?

Both players have been exceptional and, each in their own way, key to the Scudetto, yet people have personal preferences. Just like Maradona, Kvara is an artist on the ball and there are fans more enamoured with his skills an playmaking than Osimhen's pure goal scoring. Others think that the latter was the more important player. Both are entitled to their own opinion and free to express it as they see fit. It doesn't downplay Osimhen's contribution in any way. As much as italian football is absolutely rife with racism, trying to find it in every single picture or word is completely counter-productive. It's reaching absolutely ridiculous levels nowadays.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
@top1whoisman i was wrong :lol: :(

Last edited:

Stacks

Racist overtones? I am black British myself so you are reaching here mate.

Secondly, who are all these non white members? I thought they were German, English and Greek origin?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The royal family have non white members? I genuinely didn’t know this.

Korwas

Eric Cantona only lead United in goals 2 times in 5 seasons and he has God status. Why is it so hard for Man United fans of all people to think that a attacking player can have a huge impact without stats?

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Racist overtones? I am black British myself so you are reaching here mate.

Secondly, who are all these non white members? I thought they were German, English and Greek origin?
Why do you think that being black means that you can't make a post that has racist overtones?

Also, why are people confused? Have you all missed the furore over Meghan Markle and her children?

Edit: I'm aware that we are veering off topic here so enough about the Royals from me.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Why do you think that being black means that you can't make a post that has racist overtones?

Also, why are people confused? Have you all missed the furore over Meghan Markle and her children?

Edit: I'm aware that we are veering off topic here so enough about the Royals from me.
It's off topic, but as this is an international forum it doesn't hurt to compare different perspectives to understand each others posts. So I can honestly say that I have now idea what furore you mean, and I guess most people who don't live in the Commonwealth and who don't care much about celebrity gossip don't know it either. The royal family is simply irrelevant to us.

Stacks

No worries bro

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
It's off topic, but as this is an international forum it doesn't hurt to compare different perspectives to understand each others posts. So I can honestly say that I have now idea what furore you mean, and I guess most people who don't live in the Commonwealth and who don't care much about celebrity gossip don't know it either. The royal family is simply irrelevant to us.
I wish it was irrelevant to people here too.

90 + 5min

I think it doesn't hurt that, considering Italian football's past and present with racism, there is a discussion about this. Not saying it is 100% racism but more like many here have said that there might be some subtle undertones that some may find in this when taking into account said racism issues in Italy. I don't think it helps with improving as a society or in the fight against racism if we have to or find the need to decide at one go whether there is or isn't racism in something. If you disagree with all this it's fine, but personally don't find the type of approach of "that's not racism, ridiculous, no need to discuss this further" useful for such a layered and complex subject.
I have no problems if people discuss racism in football. As long as it exist it should be talked about when necessary. But we don't need to find racism where there isn't racism. I have no idea how he could see and interpret racism in that picture. If he saw Napoli games this season I think he would change his mind. I'm pretty sure about that.

100% this. The Maradona link to Kvaratskhelia makes total sense for why they picked him. When I think of Kvaratskhelia, I think of his nickname likened to Maradona. Maradona is their greatest ever player - so the photo makes complete sense.

I am not arguing that there is no racism in Italy, as it clearly rife there especially in the football world. But making a case for it in regards to that photo is just ridiculous, and just screams "finding an issue with anything" type of culture.
He is nicknamed Kvaradona because he have been brilliant this season and have great skills. Not close to Maradona but with some similarities. Him and Osimhen are two major influences in this Napoli team. Osimhen more a goalscorer while Kvaratskhelia have more to his game.

Of course there is racism in Italy. There is in pretty much ever country. However, lets not invent racism where there isn't.

AFC NimbleThumb

I despise people who use racism as a justification for things they deem wrong in their eyes when it is not 100% clear to be the case.
Italian football is sick at its core institution but I still don't see any racism in crowning Kvara as they're king, he's closer in style to Maradona, has been more available than Victor.
You don't know anything about me to know what should or should not trigger me my friend
Who did this? You’re doing exactly what I highlighted earlier in the post, the tweet you’re upset over doesn’t actually mention ‘racism’ does it? You’re removing all nuance because how dare someone highlight an issue that doesn’t hit whatever your explicit opinion of what constitutes racism is.

He highlights how a racist league, Serie A is certainly a racist league, chooses to highlight certain faces ahead of others. No one has said Kvaratskhelia is particularly less deserving, the tweeter is simply highlighting the tone deafness at play.
She was probably highlighting how unfortunate it is that the few black members of the Royal family weren’t particularly made to feel welcome at such events.

She was ‘rinsed’ by who cause as a Black Britain I can assure you I’m not one of the monolith you speak of here.

Skepta ffs! Thanks for revealing yourself.

kouroux

Who did this? You’re doing exactly what I highlighted earlier in the post, the tweet you’re upset over doesn’t actually mention ‘racism’ does it? You’re removing all nuance because how dare someone highlight an issue that doesn’t hit whatever your explicit opinion of what constitutes racism is.

He highlights how a racist league, Serie A is certainly a racist league, chooses to highlight certain faces ahead of others. No one has said Kvaratskhelia is particularly less deserving, the tweeter is simply highlighting the tone deafness at play.

She was probably highlighting how unfortunate it is that the few black members of the Royal family weren’t particularly made to feel welcome at such events.

She was ‘rinsed’ by who cause as a Black Britain I can assure you I’m not one of the monolith you speak of here.

It didn't need to blatantly say "racism" to actually be about it. Nothing else was hinted at, you know it, I know it and we all know it.
Again, people can say whatever the feck, I don't give a shit, just like I don't give a shit if you don't like what I say. By all means, denounce racism whether it's warranted or not, people can do whatever they want. All I did was share my opinion, if you don't like it, big deal...

AFC NimbleThumb

It didn't need to blatantly say "racism" to actually be about it. Nothing else was hinted at, you know it, I know it and we all know it.
Again, people can say whatever the feck, I don't give a shit, just like I don't give a shit if you don't like what I say. By all means, denounce racism whether it's warranted or not, people can do whatever they want. All I did was share my opinion, if you don't like it, big deal...
You don’t but you usually do for people like yourself to base their whole argument around it. He could as much be highlighting the tone deaf way Serie A treat their black players as calling them outright racists.

There are levels to this discussion you’re proving blatantly inadequate of comprehending. You can’t get upset over an accusation of ‘racism’ because you’re too blinkered to see the further discussion.

Let’s say he is calling them racist [you know without actually calling them racist], you aren’t the official on its merits lad. I’m black & I don’t think it’s ‘racist’, I think it’s typical of that league to not treat their black players on their merit but pedestaling 77 over 9 isn’t a surprise to me - do I think race plays a role? Probably but it’s a bigger discussion than the word you can’t get over.

kouroux

You don’t but you usually do for people like yourself to base their whole argument around it. He could as much be highlighting the tone deaf way Serie A treat their black players as calling them outright racists.

There are levels to this discussion you’re proving blatantly inadequate of comprehending. You can’t get upset over an accusation of ‘racism’ because you’re too blinkered to see the further discussion.

Let’s say he is calling them racist [you know without actually calling them racist], you aren’t the official on its merits lad. I’m black & I don’t think it’s ‘racist’, I think it’s typical of that league to not treat their black players on their merit but pedestaling 77 over 9 isn’t a surprise to me - do I think race plays a role? Probably but it’s a bigger discussion than the word you can’t get over.
That's the thing though, I'm not upset at all by how people react when it comes to certain things. I know the type of people I dislike and those who I avoid at all cost.
You really seem to think I'm interested in discussing :lol: I really don't. I said my peace and there ain't nothing you could do about it.
I fail to understand why you care so much about what I think, like I'm holding some sort of power of persuasion over large groups of people

AFC NimbleThumb

I fail to understand
Fixed.

Mate just enjoy the game, we’ve had more than enough of you waffling on about how you ‘don’t care’ about something somebody never said & you made up. You know a discussion is reaching its end when it becomes about how much one ‘doesn’t care’.

Stacks

It was a joke. Must all humour die in the cafe?

kouroux

Fixed.

Mate just enjoy the game, we’ve had more than enough of you waffling on about how you ‘don’t care’ about something somebody never said & you made up. You know a discussion is reaching its end when it becomes about how much one ‘doesn’t care’.
Who's we again ? Who do you speak for ? I never meant to have a discussion with you,you just slithered yourself into it :lol: Do piss off