Racism in Italy - even anti-racism is filled with racism

kaku06

Vulgarian
A) Who has done this?

B) What on earth would make you think that on a football forum of all places Kvaratskhelia’s contributions would not be noted.

This is the exact kind of strawman nonsense that pops up in these discussions. No one is questioning Kvaratskhelia, absolute shambles of an attempt to subvert the topic.
Rightly said. Absolutely pathetic post.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
This is exactly what I mean. If one wants to denounce a real concrete case of racism, it has to be clearer than this present situation. Racism cannot resorted to as the only explanation as to why a black person isn't given something
You clearly don't understand how racism works. It takes many forms and is often quite subtle and subconscious. It's not all about screaming abuse at people. I'm not saying that this particular thing is racist (and I don't care much about it anyway), I'm more addressing your general point about something only being racist if it is blatantly racist. That's a reductive point of view.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
You clearly don't understand how racism works. It takes many forms and is often quite subtle and subconscious. It's not all about screaming abuse at people. I'm not saying that this particular thing is racist (and I don't care much about it anyway), I'm more addressing your general point about something only being racist if it is blatantly racist. That's a reductive point of view.
Oh do feck off :lol: I had to leave an entire country because I was subjected to racism and islamophobia. There is feck all you can teach me regarding the subject. You assume things about me because you didn't agree with what I said, this is something I also dislike. For more discussion, I'm ready to go private with you if you wish it.

There's even more to it - Maradona was nicknamed "O rrè" at Naples, that is "the king". This 'crowning' clearly refers to chosing his heir. Kvara was nicked "Kvaradona" already before, so pretty much no racism.
It's as simple as this.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Oh do feck off :lol: I had to leave an entire country because I was subjected to racism and islamophobia. There is feck all you can teach me regarding the subject. You assume things about me because you didn't agree with what I said, this is something I also dislike. For more discussion, I'm ready to go private with you if you wish it.

It's as simple as this.
You experienced all that and yet you 'despise' people who call out racism? Odd.

kouroux

You experienced all that and yet you 'despise' people who call out racism? Odd.
I despise people who make racist claims based on feck all. It hurts the genuine victims of it. A lot of people suffer from it but when you have clueless people who cry about it at the first slight perceived on them, it's detriemental to the cause

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
I despise people who make racist claims based on feck all. It hurts the genuine victims of it. A lot of people suffer from it but when you have clueless people who cry about it at the first slight perceived on them, it's detriemental to the cause
And who exactly is it that decides that a claim of racism is based on 'feck all'? You?

Moreover, how is that decided? Have you got a racism-o-meter that determines whether or not something is racist?

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
That's not what @kouroux said and you know it.
Do I? If you think something is not racist, what's wrong with just saying 'I don't think there is racist intent in this case'? His viewpoint alignes with those who use idiotic terms like 'race card' as if there is a slew of black people disingenously making claims of racism in order to gain an advantage over honest, fair white people. Yet for all these people supposedly making great gains and 'hurting the real cause' by making deliberately false claims, the world somehow remains resolutely unjust with regards to race. Go figure.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Oh you see it as dumb then. :lol: What happened? Your standards to measure a player’s qualities and importance changed?
Haaland has 51 goals. He's broken the PL single season goal record. He's the first player at an english side scoring 50 goals in a season in forever. He's literally broken and breaking records, and he has 23 more direct goal contributions than De Bruyne.

Osimhen has 27 goals for the season. 32 G+A(Kvara has 30 btw)

Trying to draw a parallel between them is a bad faith argument

Camilo

Nothing in this. People are so desperate to call our racism for no reason, thinking it has no negative side. All it does is divide people. Total dafties the lot of them.

kouroux

Not at all, I'm challenging your viewpoint.
You did more than that, you assumed you knew things about me but it's okay, you wouldn't be the first one to have done that and probably won't be the last

And who exactly is it that decides that a claim of racism is based on 'feck all'? You?

Moreover, how is that decided? Have you got a racism-o-meter that determines whether or not something is racist?
It's a matter of opinion, you're free to disagree with it. I never said I hold the absolute truth. What the feck is up with you ? Get off my back now

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Haaland has 51 goals. He's broken the PL single season goal record. He's the first player at an english side scoring 50 goals in a season in forever. He's literally broken and breaking records, and he has 23 more direct goal contributions than De Bruyne.

Osimhen has 27 goals for the season. 32 G+A(Kvara has 30 btw)

Trying to draw a parallel between them is a bad faith argument
Haaland and Osimhem have some similarities but are not the same and Kvara and KDB are totally different. Mesmeric dribbler is not really one of KDB's traits. So I think it's difficult to draw direct parallels in any case. One thing I think is relevant is that Haaland and Kvara are the shiny new objects for their teams' fans, much more so than VO and KDB, so that might explain some of the differences in recent reaction.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Haaland and Osimhem have some similarities but are not the same and Kvara and KDB are totally different. Mesmeric dribbler is not really one of KDB's traits. So I think it's difficult to draw direct parallels in any case. One thing I think is relevant is that Haaland and Kvara are the shiny new objects for their teams' fans, much more so than VO and KDB, so that might explain some of the differences in recent reaction.
No, the fact of the matter is Osimhen and Kvara are having comparably similar great seasons, whereas Haaland is literally breaking records

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
You did more than that, you assumed you knew things about me but it's okay, you wouldn't be the first one to have done that and probably won't be the last

It's a matter of opinion, you're free to disagree with it. I never said I hold the absolute truth. What the feck is up with you ? Get off my back now
So it's a matter of opinion and yet you 'despise' people who might see something differently. Nothing is the matter with me, I'm just asking questions. Let's continue with the discussion of Italy.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Racism is serious thing. This is just riduculous and not helping. There is no racism in that picture and by saying Kvara is the king. He have been brilliant this season.
100% this. The Maradona link to Kvaratskhelia makes total sense for why they picked him. When I think of Kvaratskhelia, I think of his nickname likened to Maradona. Maradona is their greatest ever player - so the photo makes complete sense.

I am not arguing that there is no racism in Italy, as it clearly rife there especially in the football world. But making a case for it in regards to that photo is just ridiculous, and just screams "finding an issue with anything" type of culture.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
No, the fact of the matter is Osimhen and Kvarw are having comparably similar great seasons, whereas Haaland is literally breaking records
You don't think KDB has had a great season? His passing has been insane this year.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Nothing in this. People are so desperate to call our racism for no reason, thinking it has no negative side. All it does is divide people. Total dafties the lot of them.
Thinking that people are 'desperate to call out racism for no reason' is, IMO, a racist viewpoint. Why would people be desperate to call out racism for no reason?

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
THE OTHER GUY IS BREAKING RECORDS

How hard a concept is that to grasp?
Writing something in capitals doesn't make your point any stronger in case you didn't realise. Has KDB had a great season or not? Simple question.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
@Andrade read this, it will help
Hasn't helped. Saying 'racism is a serious thing' is akin to saying 'something is racist when I think it is. Anything else is wasting my time'.

Again, I'm not saying that the intent of Serie A is racist, I don't know enough about how they treat their black stars and the history. Other people have mentioned issues with Leao and clearly know more. What I am questioning is the idea that somebody claims that something is racist and then gets ridiculed by people saying 'why don't you fight the REAL racism'. As if it's not all linked.

Just say you don't think it's racist and give your reasons. Surely that's all that is required.

kouroux

Hasn't helped. Saying 'racism is a serious thing' is akin to saying 'something is racist when I think it is. Anything else is wasting my time'.

Again, I'm not saying that the intent of Serie A is racist, I don't know enough about how they treat their black stars and the history. Other people have mentioned issues with Leao and clearly know more. What I am questioning is the idea that somebody claims that something is racist and then gets ridiculed by people saying 'why don't you fight the REAL racism'. As if it's not all linked.

Just say you don't think it's racist and give your reasons. Surely that's all that is required.
I said it's not racist and the reasons were given by various posters and myself. Talk about a storm in a teacup

kouroux

Thinking that people are 'desperate to call out racism for no reason' is, IMO, a racist viewpoint. Why would people be desperate to call out racism for no reason?
Because a lot of black people find comfort in the notion of being victimized, it's a way to explain some of their struggles. Racism exists and it needs to be fought but sometimes it's a purely self made excuse

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
When I came into this thread I expected something more serious than that Serie A tweet. Seems it's in relation to the Kvaradona nickname.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Because a lot of black people find comfort in the notion of being victimized, it's a way to explain some of their struggles. Racism exists and it needs to be fought but sometimes it's a purely self made excuse
Comfort in the notion of being victimised. Interesting theory. Does this apply to all marginalised groups? Do women find comfort in the notion of being victimised? Do gay people find comfort in the notion of being victimised? Or is it just black people?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Comfort in the notion of being victimised. Interesting theory. Does this apply to all marginalised groups? Do women find comfort in the notion of being victimised? Do gay people find comfort in the notion of being victimised? Or is it just black people?
There are some women who do make this claim. These would be women who are wary of "modern feminism".

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
There are some women who do make this claim. These would be women who are wary of "modern feminism".
Being a woman and criticising a feminist doesn't make your claim more true than a man criticising a feminist. It remains an opinion. Same with a black person criticising another black person who is calling out racism.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Being a woman and criticising a feminist doesn't make your claim more true than a man criticising a feminist. It remains an opinion. Same with a black person criticising another black person who is calling out racism.
Right, these are all opinions at the end of the day. I only added some context that the "comfort in victimhood" claim does get made for other groups.

Camilo

I think people who call out racism for things that are (clearly in my opinion) not racist, is a racist viewpoint. People who see racism everywhere must surely be seeing race everywhere, and are therefore focussed on the differences between people. I think that's racist, however well intentioned.

The Original

Any substance to explain how you arrived at this conclusion?

I would not disagree that a lot of what is called racism is not racism indeed, but I think it may be clear that the reason for this is that people see things through the lenses of their history and past experiences. So yes, those lenses may indeed be tinted, and not everything that is seen as racism by really be so, but suggesting that people deliberately do this to seek comfort to cover their supposed inadequacies is quite something. It's simply a trauma response.

In the present example, while we don't have enough to call this racism, you also don't have enough to say that it isn't. Racism, European nationalism, Kvara simply having had a very good season, are all plausible explanations, and more than one of them may be true at the same time.

The Original

I think people who call out racism for things that are (clearly in my opinion) not racist, is a racist viewpoint. People who see racism everywhere must surely be seeing race everywhere, and are therefore focussed on the differences between people. I think that's racist, however well intentioned.
Seeing race is not racism. Races are a fact. Treating races differently is racism.

Andrade

Rebuilding Expert
Well the thing is, it's much easier for a black person, as part of a minority, to see race everywhere than for a white person, as part of a majority. A white person doesn't even have to consider for the most part whether racism played a part in them not getting a job or a house or whatever. You have highly successful black people like Barnes, Cole and Campbell talking about racism in football managerial hiring practices. No one is being racially abused. The people doing the hiring probably don't think they're being racist. but it doesn't mean racism is not present.