Racism in Italy - even anti-racism is filled with racism

Lynty

What's wrong with these people?

They just all need sacking at this point, huge restructure of Italian FA

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Mental mental country. I can’t believe the stuff that has come out in the last few months from actual football coaches, major publishing corporations, and now the Italian Footballing entity?

Batshit.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Apparently the artist's reasoning is that all men are descendants from monkeys not just blacm people.

Surely he could've guessed this wouldn't end well though?

HackeyC

Checks date, nope, not April 1st.

Honestly don't know how they thought this was ok, regardless of the artistic intentions!

Okey

Oh dear! This is getting beyond ridiculous. And I thought Black Friday was the lowest point. Something is clearly very wrong over there. A special case of tone deafness. How on earth did anyone think this would be ok??? Surely there were other artists available No?

Oh dear! This is getting beyond ridiculous. And I thought Black Friday was the lowest point. Something is clearly very wrong over there. A special case of tone deafness. How on earth did anyone think this would be ok??? Surely there were other artists available No?
I’m not in any way going to condone a bloke chanting in the stand, but that’s one bloke deciding to be racist by himself - I can understand it. understand not condone.

How many people would this have had to go through? How many (presumably usually rational people) looked at this and didn’t notice the problem - utterly insane. Just shows how ingrained it is in Italy. How can it be that no one looked at this and asked whether this was not right?

Italian football has always been shameful.

Classical Mechanic

“I only paint monkeys as a metaphor for human beings, Fugazzotto added. “We turn the concept back on the racists, as we are all monkeys originally. So I painted a Western monkey, an Asian monkey and a black monkey.”

The problem is, as far as I can see, is that there's little way of interpreting this message from the actual artwork.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Italian FA launch new t-campaign against racism

The Italian FA have announced their new t-campaign against racism, the move comes after a string of incidents involving black players being subject to monkey chants from the crowd. The t-campaign will involve burning a lower case t in front of players houses. The T stands for "time to end racism" and the fire represents the burning desire to stop racism, the Italian FA has said that they encourage people to wear a white bedsheet to show that we are all the same.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
feck sake. How do they keep on doing this?

MrVolley

Some things are just made to go together.

Strawberries and Cream
Cheese and Onion
Jack Daniels and Coke
Posh and Becks
Italians and Racism

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
There's a time and a place to be all artsy and shit, and this definitely wasn't it. I mean, with the world watching you have a chance to put things right and this happens.

It's a bit like when Father Ted invited those Chinese people round to his house and ended up making things worse.

MrBest

I could not take my eyes of that picture. It is 2019, did that really happen? Has that really been approved? I can understand (although 100% wrong) there is local racism from a huge lack of education but this is big and national led. It is embedded in the culture of the country. I have been to Italy a few times and suffered racism myself on each occasion (Turin, Milan, Rome and Naples). It really is distgusting and FIFA need to take serious action against leagues, teams, players, fans. Fines of a few thousand Euros does nothing. Personally I think Italy should be removed from the Euros and all European competitions. I know not everyone is racist there but the punishment should be severe for people to actually know it is wrong. That fan at City will be banned for life, but it not enough. Although the club is not racist and it is hard to control, they should take the punishment too. Dock points, issue huge fines in relativity of earnings like 15% of annual income (offender and club), enforce community service. All parties need to feel the implications of the severity of racism. It is 2019, this should not be happening and people need to grow up. The stop racism campaigns do nothing to stop it. Severe punishment for all parties, name & shame the offender plus education to all that need it should be the absolute minimum. If a fan of United did that and we got docked 10 points because of it, you create a culture that it is wrong. I would be pissed that we have lost 10 points but happy to see something of more substance is being done to embed governance. Clubs need to take more ownership of this education to there fans. It is like dealing with a child who has been naughty at school.

USREDEVIL

Italian FA wants to respond to recent claims of racism by italian fans including monkey chants. Hires artist who then draws monkeys. Good shit. :lol:

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I don't blame the artist and I'm sure his intentions are good, but what the feck is the Italian FA doing? Who on earth could have thought it was a good idea to hire an artist that only paints apes. Unbelievable.

USREDEVIL

I don't blame the artist and I'm sure his intentions are good, but what the feck is the Italian FA doing? Who on earth could have thought it was a good idea to hire an artist that only paints apes. Unbelievable.
Italy, the Archie Bunker of Europe. Feck them already.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Italy, the Archie Bunker of Europe. Feck them already.
It won't happen sadly, but I completely agree with all the posters that say FIFA should hammer them for this stupidity

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
“I only paint monkeys as a metaphor for human beings, Fugazzotto added. “We turn the concept back on the racists, as we are all monkeys originally. So I painted a Western monkey, an Asian monkey and a black monkey.”

The problem is, as far as I can see, is that there's little way of interpreting this message from the actual artwork.
Yes. If he wanted to really get that message across, he'd have made them entirely one colour tone but all different. A white monkey head, a brown money head, a pink monkey head, etc. What he produced looks like one monnkey supports Napoli, one Roma and one Inter, which could also easily be interpreted as Koulibaly, Smalling and Lukaku, making it even more racist.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I guess the next step would be to put actual monkeys in charge. Won't do a worse job than this anyways

Suedesi

At a news conference on Monday, artist Simone Fugazzotto, who always uses monkeys in his work, said: "For an artist there is nothing more important than trying to change the perception of things through his own work.

"I decided to portray monkeys to talk about racism because they are the metaphor for human beings. Last year I was at the stadium to see Inter v Napoli [a match in which Napoli defender Kalidou Koulibaly was racially abused] and I felt humiliated, everyone was shouting 'monkey' at Koulibaly, a player I respect.

"I've always been painting monkeys for five to six years, so I thought I'd make this work to teach that we're all apes, I made the western monkey with blue and white eyes, the Asian monkey with almond-shaped eyes and the black monkey positioned in the centre, where everything comes from. The monkey becomes the spark to teach everyone that there is no difference, there is no man or monkey, we are all alike. If anything we are all monkeys."

Member 90887

Exactly, a message that has to be explained is not strong enough to stand on its own to counter the rampant racism we're seeing in Italy lately.

Most racist people do not have the required intelligence to understand why racism makes no sense at all but for some reason, the Italian FA and this artist chose a cryptic message that requires a bit of intelligence to understand...

Ban

So Italian FA way of fighting racism is adding more fuel to the fire by making even more racist stuff.
Brilliant.