Racism in Italy - even anti-racism is filled with racism

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Cool. That isn’t exactly taking away that Stormzy himself has said they look similar does it?

The newspaper confusing them two is obviously ridiculous and isn’t always uncommon (I recall a magazine calling Ja Rule, Usher at one point)
Of course it does. People's opinions are allowed to change, especially if offence is caused to the person in question.
Continuing to imply that he 'seems to think they do' is incorrect since the most recent opinion we have on the matter from Stormzy himself is not finding it funny like he did in your video.

The newspaper confusing the two not being uncommon, is also a big part of the problem.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Even if they do look a little alike, is the point not that by accepting and laughing it off as a joke, you begin to normalise this insidious, implicit type of discrimination? The comparison is drawn from lazy offensive stereotypes; i.e. both are darker skinned and built. Facial features aren't similar enough to warrant confusion (teeth, beard, eyebrows etc.).

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Even if they do look a little alike, is the point not that by accepting and laughing it off as a joke, you begin to normalise this insidious, implicit type of discrimination? The comparison is drawn from lazy offensive stereotypes; i.e. both are darker skinned and built. Facial features aren't similar enough to warrant confusion (teeth, beard, eyebrows etc.).
For me they simply look alike, I wouldn't tell you the same thing about Jordan Lukaku who in my opinion doesn't look much like his brother.

Ainu

There is just about enough similarity to say they look a little bit alike, but how do you go from looking for a picture to represent Lukaku in a newspaper article, to picking one of Stormzy? That's just weird. There's like a million pictures of Lukaku out there and you manage to pick one of Stormzy? Surely that's not a genuine mistake.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
There is just about enough similarity to say they look a little bit alike, but how do you go from looking for a picture to represent Lukaku in a newspaper article, to picking one of Stormzy? That's just weird. There's like a million pictures of Lukaku out there and you manage to pick one of Stormzy? Surely that's not a genuine mistake.
The mistake makes little sense, so I get why he would be upset and iirc it was around the time where people were making jokes about them too.

Zelex

Lukaku and Stomzy don't really look that much alike in my opinion (facial features specifically). Note most of these comparisons arose once Lukaku started sporting a low-cut hairstyle and beard. When he was sporting a high-top fade with little to no facial hair. I didn't hear nothing regarding him looking similar Stomzy-I may be wrong though.

Lynty

Wtf :lol::lol::lol:

One of those moments when you think, what the hell is coming out my mouth - but its too late.

Hoepfully that spells the end of his career. Not that he cares at 80 years old

UncleBob

Chriiist.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/david-schwimmer-lookalike-jailed

https://www.joe.ie/uncategorized/pi...gaal-for-harold-bishop-from-neighbours-428012

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Backwards country. Unbelievable.

Hope he bangs in 30 and shuts everybody up. That league is piss poor too so it's actually a possibility.

Fracture90

Exactly this.

Unfortunately it takes these blatant in-your-face racist incidents for people to actually see this.
2 years ago when a good portion of our fans were calling Lukaku Stormzy or Heskey and saying he had a 22-inch penis, it was much harder for people to understand that racism is normalised within society.
Now I've never seen Stormzy before today (albeit I've heard about him, though I never felt the need to Google him, I'm not into rap music) and I gotta admit that, at least imo, that there's certainly quite a bit of resemblance going on.

I once saw a guy compare Lukaku with Carroll and immediately being called out as a latent racist…

Litch

My 52 years on this planet and the same old shit still smells even if it smells a bit different. It's so inherit that people don't know they are doing it and all based on racial stereotypes. People may point the finger at Italy but it's no better over here, it's just presented in a different way. There's no grade of racism, it's all wrong and those who understand that would equally know where the comparison of two black men in how they look comes from. They would equally know singing about the size of a black player, where that comes from too. Do they look similar, yes. Maybe Rom does have a large penis, maybe Pogs is lazy or but It's amazing cause in my time being a Utd fan, can't say I've heard the same spoken about white players in the same way?

If you don't understand that then you your view isn't no different than those in the stands in Italy. Same shit, just smells differently.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF

starman

My 52 years on this planet and the same old shit still smells even if it smells a bit different. It's so inherit that people don't know they are doing it and all based on racial stereotypes. People may point the finger at Italy but it's no better over here, it's just presented in a different way. There's no grade of racism, it's all wrong and those who understand that would equally know where the comparison of two black men in how they look comes from. They would equally know singing about the size of a black player, where that comes from too. Do they look similar, yes. Maybe Rom does have a large penis, maybe Pogs is lazy or but It's amazing cause in my time being a Utd fan, can't say I've heard the same spoken about white players in the same way?

If you don't understand that then you your view isn't no different than those in the stands in Italy. Same shit, just smells differently.
You never heard Veron getting called lazy than? Or people comparing Berbetov to Andy Garcia, or Rooney constantly being openly told he looks like Sherk? For other clubs, Benzema gets constantly compared to Shia LaBeouf, there lots of examples. Come to think of it Rooney got far more stereotypical centred abuse than Pogba and
Lukaku ever had. From how he talks, his social background, or his looks.

There was also a Peter Crouch song about having a big penis and vaguely remember there being one about Jan Koller at one point, some people will argue the Lukaku song was due to his skin colour, but its much more to do with him being a big guy. Sizists!
I am sure as generally as racist as Chelsea fans are, even they don't sing about Kante penis...

Tarrou

Giving an example of when a group of people weren’t racist by not singing about a black mans penis (well done, Chelsea fans) is not a good argument for why it isn’t racist when people do do it.

Same with giving examples of when white people are mistaken for other white people. Or Bale looks like a monkey. So what?

They are just random examples of normal things that happen in society that don’t happen to be racist, they don’t prove anything one way or the other.

Imagine a lawyer defending a mass shooter by showing examples of all the times he went to a school in his life and didn’t shoot a bunch of kids. It’s the same logic.

Pagh Wraith

I had never seen this rapper before today but to me they look very similar. That has to be allowed, it's clearly not a case of "Look, they're both black!" White players with much less resemblance have been called lookalikes. Throwing that in with the two very troubling racism incidents that Lukaku has faced isn't helpful. That song about his penis size has quite clearly racist connotations, however.

Litch

You never heard Veron getting called lazy than? Or people comparing Berbetov to Andy Garcia, or Rooney constantly being openly told he looks like Sherk? For other clubs, Benzema gets constantly compared to Shia LaBeouf, there lots of examples. Come to think of it Rooney got far more stereotypical centred abuse than Pogba and

There was also a Peter Crouch song about having a big penis and vaguely remember there being one about Jan Koller at one point, some people will argue the Lukaku song was due to his skin colour, but its much more to do with him being a big guy. Sizists!
I am sure as generally as racist as Chelsea fans are, even they don't sing about Kante penis...
Like I said, if you don't understand it and like many others simplify an issue with companions like the worlds an equal place, then clearly what's the issue of Black players having bananas thrown at them or monkey noises made at him? Has footballers never had things like bottles thrown at them? Never had things shouted at them? Never been been made fun off or compared to fictional characters? Even Rooney been stereotyped more than Pogs?

What are all people making a load of noise about something that's nothing to do with their skin colour? Like I said, the shit still smells, just some try to suggest that theirs don't.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Lukaku has been subjected to some downright horrible things both recently and in the past. Genuine faith-in-humanity-decreasing things.

But can we just admit that he does look a bit like Stormzy? There’s nothing sinister in just acknowledging that, surely?

Seaman

Supports
Barnet
Lukaku has been subjected to some downright horrible things both recently and in the past. Genuine faith-in-humanity-decreasing things.

But can we just admit that he does look a bit like Stormzy? There’s nothing sinister in just acknowledging that, surely?
Stormzy looks luke him. Lukaku was in the scene first. Also how is stormzy the londoner Man Utd fan?

Johan07

If you dont understand the difference between black players being stereotypically profiled compared to "white" players you obviously dont get the issue with racism to begin with. But somehow thanks I guess for pointing out the pure ignorance of some people. Well done.

Tostao_80

You really think Lukaku's chant had more to do with him being big than the stereotype about black men? Even you don't genuinely believe that.
How is being compared to Andy Garcia a bad thing? The guy was considered good looking in his hey day and considered very much a catch for the ladies. You're not comparing apples with apples here.

Ramos

No, there's not. Nothing wrong with saying they look alike. A newspaper writing a serious article could really do better though.

On a different note, the Belgian queen mistook Lukaku for Origi once. :D

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
No, there's not. Nothing wrong with saying they look alike. A newspaper writing a serious article could really do better though.

On a different note, the Belgian queen mistook Lukaku for Origi once. :D
Oh 100%, he looks like him but not enough that professional journalists should be mixing them up!

starman

You really think Lukaku's chant had more to do with him being big than the stereotype about black men? Even you don't genuinely believe that.
How is being compared to Andy Garcia a bad thing? The guy was considered good looking in his hey day and considered very much a catch for the ladies. You're not comparing apples with apples here.
Did you even bother reading my entire post?

So whats wrong with being compared to Stormzy?

starman

If you dont understand the difference between black players being stereotypically profiled compared to "white" players you obviously dont get the issue with racism to begin with. But somehow thanks I guess for pointing out the pure ignorance of some people. Well done.
:rolleyes:
Oh please explain wise one...

Theres also a difference between someone simply looking like another person and actual stereotyping, but lets not distract anyone from associating it with racism.Well done

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I disagree. The 2008 crisis put the blame on immigration. Salvini was the reaction. Glad the fecker is out, racism is getting out of control.
We've been blaming immigration since forever. It just so happened that immigration used to be from south to north

Salvini's party wanted the north to secede from the rest of the country in the late 90s. Even the arguments and rhetoric used now against africans is almost verbatim what it was against southerners

And we were already very racist too. It just didn't come up often enough for people to realize it was an issue

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
We've been blaming immigration since forever. It just so happened that immigration used to be from south to north

Salvini's party wanted the north to secede from the rest of the country in the late 90s. Even the arguments and rhetoric used now against africans is almost verbatim what it was against southerners

And we were already very racist too. It just didn't come up often enough for people to realize it was an issue
Good info. First step is always to admit/recognize the problem.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.

Great post. Well said.