Raees VS EAP - All-time 3 year peak - Auction draft

Who would win based on players in their 3-yr peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I agree and I did vote for Raees ;).

Also, Sammer always being played as a DM is equally annoying. He won the Ballon d'Or as a libero in a back five and that's his best position. No one thinks about playing Scirea in DM for example. Yeah, in theory he could do the job and all that and he could drop between the centerbacks. In reality Sammer never reached the same heights when played in midfield though. There are many unpicked DMs I'd prefer over Sammer. If you don't want to use him in his best role, don't pick him. It's so weird.
That was my issue here. I don't mind him being in midfield if it's some sort of inverse sweeper role (the Ramelow role, basically) whereby he spends most time out there but part of his role is dropping into defence. But then you see Burgnich as sweeper and Djalma out right and wonder what the feck Sammer is supposed to be doing. Holding DM? There sure are better ones, while the draft loses one of its top 5 (or three?) liberos.

antohan

From what I read, though Meazza was versatile, his 'peak' was at right flank. 1934 and 38 world cups featured him at right and I would argue that he spent more time as CF/Right IF than at Left. Rivellino is equal if not better at left.

Again I rate Jairzinho as a better right winger than Kopa. The guy who stepped into Garrincha's shoes and still made a name for his own. Kopa though he played outside right with success is best utilized as right AM with full freedom to roam...not providing width full time.

As a pure CF, again Kocsis is arguably better. Puskas is a better overall player but here with Meazza and Kopa drifting centre, Kocsis will have a better chance to score than him.
Puskas is a better all-round CF than Kocsis, no doubt in my mind about it.

Jairzinho is a better winger than Kopa, who isn't a winger, but the point was Cafú and Kopa jointly provided everything and far more than Jairzinho does alone.

I'd agree Meazza isn't at his very best, which brings him about level with Rivelino. The problem is Meazza has more pace and directness, which is exactly what you needed against Kohler on the counter. My view of the game was you were under pressure most of the time and countering a team playing a high line, Kohler would gobble up Rivelino, probably more so than Djalma would with Meazza when constantly one on one or even being doubled-up on with Matthäus. In practice both of you would have beeen better off swapping Meazza and Rivelino in this game. Well, no, @Raees would be a fool to make that swap.

MJJ

That was my issue here. I don't mind him being in midfield if it's some sort of inverse sweeper role (the Ramelow role, basically) whereby he spends most time out there but part of his role is dropping into defence. But then you see Burgnich as sweeper and Djalma out right and wonder what the feck Sammer is supposed to be doing. Holding DM? There sure are better ones, while the draft loses one of its top 5 (or three?) liberos.
This was how I was hoping to play sammer when I bid on him before dropping out due to the madness of the format.

----dribbling striker----
GOAT winger------GOAT winger
-----deep lying mid-B2B mid---
--------sammer----------
-LWB - LCB-RCB-RWB

Two wingbacks, and both centre defenders who are comfortable out wide like thuram and Maldini with a sweeper keeper.

Thoughts on how it would have worked?

antohan

This was how I was hoping to play sammer when I bid on him before dropping out due to the madness of the format.

----dribbling striker----
GOAT winger------GOAT winger
-----deep lying mid-B2B mid---
--------sammer----------
-LWB - LCB-RCB-RWB

Two wingbacks, and both centre defenders who are comfortable out wide like thuram and Maldini with a sweeper keeper.

Thoughts on how it would have worked?
Hmmm... The deep lier is a DLP or a holding midfielder? If it's a DLP then yes, he would be in what I call the inverse sweeper role starting at DM and dropping into defence.

TBH, I think the main point in Sammer with such LCBs/RCBs next to him is to play him centrally between them, let the wingbacks run the flanks and have more meat through the middle instead of two wingers. You need too many very specific players though and most who try it end up struggling to get them or end up with terrible frontlines (bar Theon in the WC draft I think and he almost managed to cock it up anyway).

In this pool though...

MJJ

Hmmm... The deep lier is a DLP or a holding midfielder? If it's a DLP then yes, he would be in what I call the inverse sweeper role starting at DM and dropping into defence.

TBH, I think the main point in Sammer with such LCBs/RCBs next to him is to play him centrally between them, let the wingbacks run the flanks and have more meat through the middle instead of two wingers. You need too many very specific players though and most who try it end up struggling to get them or end up with terrible frontlines (bar Theon in the WC draft I think and he almost managed to cock it up anyway).

In this pool though...
Play-Maker. I think I could have managed it, need this.

-------Law/Ronaldo-------------
-Best--------------Mathews(Cheaper)
--Charlton/Scholes-Keane----
-----------Sammer------------
Any-Briegel--Burgnich--Any

Attacking wingbacks are easy to come by and the pool was big enough to secure all the targets once the price for some players was high enough.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@Joga Bonito

I would like more information on this as I really don't want to spend a upgrade in defence... unless it's really flawed
I don't mind Burgnich there as a CB, @Edgar Allan Pillow but the defensive sweeper role that he was supposedly playing in this game could perhaps have been expanded upon. I can understand why some might have an issue with him being a defensive sweeping CB - he did play that role at times but it wasn't his predominant role. He played as a RCB-RB in tandem with the tornante Jair and in line with Facchetti's movements on the left flank. As a pure man-marking CB I don't see many having an issue with him, but perhaps a more 'covering' type of a defender might have been a more suitable partner for Burgnich, rather than the aggressive man-marking Förster.

When you stated that you were using Burgnich as a sweeper, I kind of saw it as D.Santos playing Burgnich's usual role here and Burgnich playing Picchi's role. You were missing a tornante but did have the young version of Schuster as the RCM and Raees did lack a proper wing presence on the left - Meazza was more of an inside forward and Schnellinger a right footed LB who didn't offer too much wingsmanship. I could have seen you pulling it off against Raees's forward line tbh but it didn't seem ideal for Sammer.

Anyway, moving forward, if I were you I would look more into D.Santos here - mainly to make Sammer's role more straightforward.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Schnellinger a right footed LB who didn't offer too much wingsmanship.
Yup key thing to note going forwards if anyone picks Schnellinger going forwards, he isn't a Fachetti going forwards.. he is quality going forwards but not a wing-back, he is more a playmaker who strengthens your midfield from a left back position and additional support for your centre backs too..

Annahnomoss

I don't mind Burgnich there as a CB, @Edgar Allan Pillow

Anyway, moving forward, if I were you I would look more into D.Santos here - mainly to make Sammer's role more straightforward.
Agree. I think that Djalma Santos really killed that defensive line that was so nailed on with Förster and Bergomi being comfortable as the RCB/LCB. With a wing back there everything looks very natural and Sammer can play as he should.

antohan

Agree. I think that Djalma Santos really killed that defensive line that was so nailed on with Förster and Bergomi being comfortable as the RCB/LCB. With a wing back there everything looks very natural and Sammer can play as he should.
Agreed, it wasn't a defence for Djalma at all. In fact, yoou know who is needing Djalma right now? Crappy.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Yup key thing to note going forwards if anyone picks Schnellinger going forwards, he isn't a Fachetti going forwards.. he is quality going forwards but not a wing-back, he is more a playmaker who strengthens your midfield from a left back position and additional support for your centre backs too..
Aye, he did suit your team fantastically though.

antohan

Play-Maker. I think I could have managed it, need this.

-------Law/Ronaldo-------------
-Best--------------Mathews(Cheaper)
--Charlton/Scholes-Keane----
-----------Sammer------------
Any-Briegel--Burgnich--Any

Attacking wingbacks are easy to come by and the pool was big enough to secure all the targets once the price for some players was high enough.
Hmmm... Sammer really should be starting from the back with those two. I still don't get what the point was creating a wingback setup with Best and Matthews there. Similar issue to Marty in his game: great wings, but rather empty in the middle.

Not a team to control or dominate a game but to play on the counter. At that point you ahve to ask yourself: why wingbacks? Isn't it better to have more defensive fullbacks to soak the pressure? It's not like the wingbacks will be key to your counter with that front trio and midfield pair.

Annahnomoss

Hmmm... Sammer really should be starting from the back with those two. I still don't get what the point was creating a wingback setup with Best and Matthews there. Similar issue to Marty in his game: great wings, but rather empty in the middle.

Not a team to control or dominate a game but to play on the counter. At that point you ahve to ask yourself: why wingbacks? Isn't it better to have more defensive fullbacks to soak the pressure? It's not like the wingbacks will be key to your counter with that front trio and midfield pair.
The concerns at the start of the draft of everybody forming perfect teams with top class players in every role has really been destroyed. So far not a single team has been perfectly on point and most teams looks to have bought themselves troubles in one way or another.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
The concerns at the start of the draft of everybody forming perfect teams with top class players in every role has really been destroyed. So far not a single team has been perfectly on point and most teams looks to have bought themselves troubles in one way or another.
Us managers

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
:lol: we got given £300m and access to every single player from all time and we still feck it up.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
:lol: So true!

Yeah, need some tinkering to do. Let's see how the reinforcements pool looks like!

MJJ

To completely annihilate people on the flanks, am talking total domination here. The opposition fullbacks going home crying at half time cos they cant take it any more!!

Annahnomoss

Very honorable thing to mention!

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Schnellinger a right footed LB who didn't offer too much wingsmanship.
What kind of a player was he? A Djalma on the left? Or is he a Breitner/Junior type player who cuts to middle instead of traditional width?

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
What kind of a player was he? A Djalma on the left? Or is he a Breitner/Junior type player who cuts to middle instead of traditional width?
Definitely Breitner/Junior in an attacking sense. I honestly haven't seen a player like him he is quite frankly bizarre in terms of the positions I have seen him take up.. I have watched him in full games over 90 minutes (CL semis, Final and a world cup final) and he is one of the most pivotal players for his side but very hard to fit in tactically in an attacking sense.

He will take up DM positions, drift over to RB, always help out at CB (he has that presence where you know he's the main man in defence) and yet still find time to carry out his left back duties. Very powerful and clinical in the tackle, rock solid defensively and very elegant and composed on the ball. Its a struggle to find a weakness in him aside from the fact he doesn't bomb up and down the left wing so in terms of providing consistent width he is useless.

Moby

Dick
On the topic of Schnellinger, I'll appreciate if someone could direct me towards some nice lengthy footage for him. Haven't really watched him that often and one of the few times I was watching a full game with him participating, he was roasted time and again in the European Cup semi final by Bestie.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
On the topic of Schnellinger, I'll appreciate if someone could direct me towards some nice lengthy footage for him. Haven't really watched him that often and one of the few times I was watching a full game with him participating, he was roasted time and again in the European Cup semi final by Bestie.
European cup final 1969, world cup 1966 both readily available on youtube. If you're referring to the same semi I am I didn't see Bestie take him on much. .

Moby

Dick
European cup final 1969, world cup 1966 both readily available on youtube. If you're referring to the same semi I am I didn't see Bestie take him on much. .
1st* leg 1969 as far as I can remember. We lost the game but the amount of chances we missed, many of which created by Bestie was insane. So close to defending the title. :(

*maybe 2nd

antohan

It's mental, absolutely mental. Is @Gio playing? He would probably walk this with his good taste for players, balanced sides and being a tight git to boot.