Rafael and Pereira join the U21s for a trip

justboy68

How do you know it's for no reason?

Maybe just maybe he's getting back to full fitness, so he doesn't breakdown yet again when he makes his 2nd or 3rd comeback game with the first team!

Find it annoying people state such issues as fact, when they are not privy to what the Manager thinks about certain players...
Because he hasn't been injured for months. He's just been frozen out. The thing with his jaw wouldn't have kept him out if LVG really wanted him to play.

Gannicus

We had to badger Louis into playing Herrera, which I don't think anyone would now disagree was the obviously right move. Now we have to badger Louis into playing our only experienced and best right fullback, Rafael da Silva. Keep it up, amigos!

Unless, of course, Rafael does in fact suffer from some kind of chronic "muscle malfunction".

jb8521

This was last week when Rafael was training with the u21s in preparation for Tuesdays game but dont let that get in the way of the over reactions

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Ivaldo anybody can make a mistake ala Valencia's short pass back but the truth is Rafael has made more mistakes than anybody at right back is inconsistent and rash and prone to switching off and also injury prone! Valencia has his faults but not that many in comparison.
Well no as a right back Valencia has regularly been caught napping or gone wondering, I don't particularly blame him for it either because its not his natural position. Rafael's rashness has been vastly over exaggerated, it was the case when he was younger but he is no more rash than the likes of Zabeleta or Piszczek, its part of the package of a modern fullback to be aggressive, gone are the days of Neville style fullbacks. He's also far better in attack, he knows when to overlap and our pace quickens when he's on the ball.
Injuries are of course a massive concern with Rafael but the point still stands that he is our best right and should play whenever fit. We can look to replacement him next season with someone of the same talent but less injury prone, there's no point dislodge him for an inferior player.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'd be well relaxed and going with the flow if I were Rafa. He's on the same wage in the U21s and visiting hospital patients as he is playing week in/out as first team RB.

Red_toad

Because he hasn't been injured for months. He's just been frozen out. The thing with his jaw wouldn't have kept him out if LVG really wanted him to play.
As I said, how do you know?

You're speculating as far as I can see. His injury record & how LVG needs players to get rythym back prior to returning, would be pointers to the issue LVG may or may not have with him. Plays 3 or 4 games & injured, so being him back slowly, may be the method the club are using. Seems that injuries are being far better managed now than for the last several seasons. Him not being injured for about 6 weeks means nothing.

Red_toad

We had to badger Louis into playing Herrera, which I don't think anyone would now disagree was the obviously right move. Now we have to badger Louis into playing our only experienced and best right fullback, Rafael da Silva. Keep it up, amigos!

Unless, of course, Rafael does in fact suffer from some kind of chronic "muscle malfunction".

If you believe that, you've no idea how LVG works. Herrera earned his place & took his chances. Van Gaal does not listen to the fans, he's very much his own man & believes his philosophy is the correct method.

RedPnutz

Maybe statistically rafael has a higher error rate per game than valencia? Maybe LvG likes more speed and physicality than Rafael provides. Maybe Valencia is a less risky player to have have you already have a really shaky defence. Maybe Rafael is less able to play the way LVG wants his defensive players to play.

Gannicus

If you believe that, you've no idea how LVG works. Herrera earned his place & took his chances. Van Gaal does not listen to the fans, he's very much his own man & believes his philosophy is the correct method.
Herrera had already earned his place before he got dropped without justification.

Louis has succumbed to fan pressure already by abandoning the woeful 352, reinstating Herrera and dropping Falcao. It's possible that he would have done all these things without fan pressure, but he took these actions soon after the fans made their views known.

Louis is under tremendous pressure to produce a top four finish. Had he persevered with the 352, benching Herrera and playing Falcao and capped things off by falling out of the top four everyone here as well as Louis knows he wouldn't have survived to see next season. As it stands now, by abandoning the 352, reinstating Herrera (whose only crime was breaking his rib) and dropping Falcao he's shown a willingness -- at least to some degree -- to listen to the fans. Even if we drop down to fifth he may have bought himself just enough faith from the fans by not being stubborn fool he was at risk of being.

Yes, Louis does believe in himself. But Louis is fully aware that football is ultimately a business and that customers cannot be ignored. Had we been cruising along atop the table he could do whatever he wanted, but being at risk of becoming the next Moyes he had to listen to the fans. That doesn't be necessarily mean he'll ever play Rafael again, but there's no question he heard the fans loud and clear on his tactics and choice of certain key players.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
This always bug me. How does LvG/manager know what the fans want? Through the media? reading the Caf? or else?

SteveW

Nope it's decision like this that need to be taken! We need better than Rafael who is ropey at defending constantly switching off! A real fan favourite I agree but for a club like United we can't rely on a player who Ms injury record is this shocking when in reality he's not that special. Get rid and buy better!
That's utter crap. He's a good defender

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That's utter crap. He's a good defender
No he's decent at one on ones but when teams attack down the left I'm fed up seeing him switch off at the back post. Good defender no way not in a million years but a real competitor yes that's fair to say.

Just to summaries Rafael is brilliant at going forward and a good defender also! Makes you wonder why we have not seen this over the last 7 seasons. The more this guy doesn't play the better he becomes, once we get a quality right back we won't look back on Rafael so fondly imo.

ivaldo

No he's decent at one on ones but when teams attack down the left I'm fed up seeing him switch off at the back post. Good defender no way not in a million years but a real competitor yes that's fair to say.

Just to summaries Rafael is brilliant at going forward and a good defender also! Makes you wonder why we have not seen this over the last 7 seasons. The more this guy doesn't play the better he becomes, once we get a quality right back we won't look back on Rafael so fondly imo.
You spout some right shit don't you?

ivaldo

Can only give you my opinion Ivaldo sorry you don't agree but rather than just give abuse you want to say where the shite is?
We've discussed it already, its a massive exaggeration based on a young Rafael. Its sad when a player gets tagged with something like this and no matter what they do, especially if its isn't statistical like goals scored. The same crap will continually be spouted.

rufus diabolus

Eh?

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
We've discussed it already, its a massive exaggeration based on a young Rafael. Its sad when a player gets tagged with something like this and no matter what they do, especially if its isn't statistical like goals scored. The same crap will continually be spouted.
It's what we are seeing time and again when he plays. He switches off he's not a good defender imo.

Red_toad

Nice to see the official U21 players getting a little run out at the end of today's match.
Will be gone in the summer & never play for the club again as LvG hates him oh er.... LvG putting him in the shop window....