Rafael Benitez - Linked to the Everton job (yes that Benitez and yes that Everton)

TheReligion

Abusive
Hope it happens as there's going to be a complete meltdown on both sides of Stanley Park.

Get me the Michael Jackson popcorn gif immediately!

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
"We don't care about Rafa, he don't care about us, all we care about is C̶h̶e̶l̶s̶e̶a̶ ̶F̶C̶ Everton FC"

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
How come does he look like he's always 45. He's been around since I was eating soaps as a kid.

Threesus

it still defies belief how that Milan super team let Stevie G and co dunk on their heads.
I don’t know how Everton plan to move forward by appointing the same managers again. They could look at someone like graham potter or Eddie Howe.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
His family are based in the Wirral so ideal job for him....if he didn't manage Liverpool for six years.

It will exactly be like George Graham for Spurs imo....will probably do a good job but Gladys end will never accept it and won't take long for dissent from first bad run of form.

Didn't he call Everton a small team after a Merseyside derby once?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Him knowing what it means to 'defect' and doing it anyway... well, that's a story in itself. Shocking behaviour - isn't he still held in high regard by Liverpool supporters? Does he think they'll forgive him for this, or does he simply not care?

Dave Smith

Supports
Anything anti-Dipper
This is going to be like when Chelsea appointed him, isn't it?

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
Liverpool can't allow this to happen - they now have an moral obligation to immediately sack Klopp and reinstate Benitez to his rightful throne as manager of Liverpool.

In fact if Klopp had any decency at all then he would step-down himself and welcome Benitez back to the club that love him so much, but we know how greedy and evil Klopp is, standing in the way of the mighty one's return.

Jibbs

Loyalty in sports is such an archaic concept... similar to nationalism. I mean I wouldn't mind if we can sign Laporte from City. We get a PL proven defender, he gets game time he deserves. Why should it matter that he plays for City.
I wouldn't even mind having Klopp as manager in future.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I have no issues with Rafa going over there. It’s going to split their fan base in two and when he does do well there will be fans booing him which is pathetic. Hopefully we put some goals in and his name will be sung loudly. On the other hand I’m worried that he will make them very tough to break down. They don’t deserve him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I have no issues with Rafa going over there. It’s going to split their fan base in two and when he does do well there will be fans booing him which is pathetic. Hopefully we put some goals in and his name will be sung loudly. On the other hand I’m worried that he will make them very tough to break down. They don’t deserve him.
I thought we were in Klopp or Pep thread, it's Rafael Benitiez ffs, past it manager.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Rafael to Everton

R
Ra
Rap
Raph
Rapha

Raphael Varane to Everton

Oggmonster

Loyalty in sports is such an archaic concept... similar to nationalism. I mean I wouldn't mind if we can sign Laporte from City. We get a PL proven defender, he gets game time he deserves. Why should it matter that he plays for City.
Hasn't Benitez taken digs at Everton in the past for being a small club etc?

I don't think it's quite the same as a player who's been at City for a few years coming and is still probably yet to hit his peak either. Everton have been in Liverpools shadow for years and our now after their ex manager it isn't a great look for the club. I'm sure they'd be happy with Klopp for example, Benitez not so much.

DoubleDinhos

Liverpool Fan
I don't know any Liverpool fans who would feel betrayed if he took the job. It's been a decade since he's been here, and it would be different if it felt like he was actively choosing Everton but it's clear this is the best job he's going to realistically be able to get. Plus he's been invested in the club and the city in ways that go beyond the pitch with all the money he's donated to the Hillsborough families, and he's always going to be respectful of his time here.

However, I still think this is a smokescreen. The owners saw how little enthusiasm there was around Nuno and so leaked this to let the fans know it could be worse.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

@SilentWitness @BigDunc9 @DixieDean your thoughts?
I can’t see it going well. It just seems like another ‘safe’ appointment that will get you too 10 playing conservative football. Happy to be proven wrong but I’m disappointed we aren’t going for a young and upcoming manager that plays nice football.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
"Chelsea is a big club with fantastic players, every manager wants to coach a such a big team," Benitez said in 2007. "But I would never take that job, in respect for my former team at Liverpool, no matter what. For me there is only one club in England, and that's Liverpool."

I never hated him and people are allowed to change their minds but he was a bad fit at Chelsea after a good few years of pretty heated rivalry between Liverpool and Chelsea (we seemed to play them about 4 times per season for about 5 years).

I also can't imagine Everton fans being overly excited by his appointment.

dinostar77

Good appointment by everton (not with standing his liverpool links). Good manager, tactically sound as well. He will do well in the role.

TheLiverBird

I’m a die hard Liverpool supporter, needless to vent my thoughts on our Rivalry

But when I was a young lad, the dream was to get scouted by Liverpool and eventually play first team, but if that path lead me to Man Utd, I’d have been over the moon and still the happiest kid there ever was

The club you support, dreams you have and professional opportunities are all entirely different to each other

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?

But when I was a young lad, the dream was to get scouted by Liverpool and eventually play first team, but if that path lead me to Man Utd, I’d have been over the moon and still the happiest kid there ever was

The club you support, dreams you have and professional opportunities are all entirely different to each other
Wasn't Carragher an Everton fan?

Oranges038

Another set of fans have to endure his shit on a stick football. Regardless of whether or not he was Liverpool manager I'd be more pissed at the style he plays.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Yes and I think they refused to give the title of Manager and he was upset about being the Temporary Manager or Acting Manager.
Tbf his comments on that made sense. Every manager is ultimately an interim manager, especially at Chelsea.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I thought Nuno was close to being new manager the other day?

Jibbs

You summed it up perfectly.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
And now reported that they're after Coady.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
"Chelsea is a big club with fantastic players, every manager wants to coach a such a big team," Benitez said in 2007. "But I would never take that job, in respect for my former team at Liverpool, no matter what. For me there is only one club in England, and that's Liverpool."

I never hated him and people are allowed to change their minds but he was a bad fit at Chelsea after a good few years of pretty heated rivalry between Liverpool and Chelsea (we seemed to play them about 4 times per season for about 5 years).

I also can't imagine Everton fans being overly excited by his appointment.
Remember the horrendously dull Champions League games when Mourinho was your boss for the first time? Tactically interesting but neither manager wanted to take a chance.

The group stage games during the 05/06 season were the worst.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
So now the banners are up outside. Have fun with Duncan