g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Rafael | Lyon Player

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
His injury issues might have been a factor in him being sold but I suspect that even if he was as durable as Valencia he still wouldn't be getting picked. LVG just doesn't rate him, simple as.

Jagga7

I would pick Rafael as 2nd Choice RB over Valencia.

Tony's been consistently average for a long time and he's still here :lol:. Some players had one or two bad seasons and they all gone . I don't mind him as an backup but still we need better option.
Rafael is always injured. Valencia is a solid RB who is built like a tank, makes a lot of sense moving Rafael along.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
.·´¯`(>▂<)´¯`·.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
I would pick Rafael as 2nd Choice RB over Valencia.

Tony's been consistently average for a long time and he's still here :lol:. Some players had one or two bad seasons and they all gone . I don't mind him as an backup but still we need better option.
:confused: We've signed Darmian.

Razvan

Sad day indeed, I've always rated him very high. It's such a shame that he was constantly getting injured.

Loublaze

ATLien
Unless he's on big wages? I don't see the point selling him.
So you wouldn't mind him just wasting his career away where he's not wanted? If you're a fan of his you'll wish him the best of luck wherever he goes, but you can't want him rotting at OT.

Bojan11

We don't have a four right backs. We have young Varela who didn't had real impact on his loan deal, new addition in Darmian who is about to experience his first matches for new team and Rafael who despite injury problems was already present in two successful title campaigns. He's not even that old, 25 years is a good age to reverse the tide rather than sell him for a 4.99 when you could clearly see his previous positive impact on our team.

Valencia is not even a right back. I'm surprised you see him as one. If he was a legit defender Louie wouldn't have to hurry with finding a guy like Darmian.
What?

Valencia is a right back now. That's where he has played under Van Gaal most. Darmian was bought because we needed two right backs and Rafael could not be relied on. He's had like one season injury free out of 5? How the hell are you going to get a consistent defence with someone like that?

imperi

His injury issues might have been a factor in him being sold but I suspect that even if he was as durable as Valencia he still wouldn't be getting picked. LVG just doesn't rate him, simple as.
I believe if Rafael would be able to get completely match fit and a string of games, be it at the second team, Louis may pick him over Valencia. Shame, since we never saw him that way. He has great potential, but his injuries keep him from performing. With all those injuries Rafael, even though his age, was not able to get enough experience to get the rashness out. If he wouldn't have that much injuries, he would have played RB instead of Valencia. Louis prefers attacking backs, so I cannot imagine Louis didnt give Rafael a fair shot to compete for the RB.

Morpheus 7

Sad news, I really think he still has something to offer. He got blamed for the mistakes at the start of the season and LVG never trusted him.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
Fecking injuries. He was brilliant against any of the speed merchants you put him against.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
Sorry but for me this is just further judicious pruning of the squad by LVG. A good player on his day whose enthusiasm seems to blind people to his defensive inadequacies. Throw in a worsening injury record and you've got a well deserved P45 for me.

This week will be even more epic if we get confirmation that Jonny "there's nothing on!" Evans gets his marching orders and hopefully in the direction of Arsenal

ken11

I've never rated Rafael. Always thought his hot-head was a liability defensively. But good luck to him.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
What?

Valencia is a right back now. That's where he has played under Van Gaal most. Darmian was bought because we needed two right backs and Rafael could not be relied on. He's had like one season injury free out of 5? How the hell are you going to get a consistent defence with someone like that?
With Darmian, Rafael and like you claim Valencia to be a legit defender ? I can say it's quite good looking formation with quality and depth.

If Varela will come good which I wish him that especially after how Zidane was speaking of him then I will start think what to do with Rafa.

It's LVG's decision anyway but I just don't see a big need to sell him now especially with that one of possibilities that Varela may not make it here at all but we're gonna find about that sooner or later.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

I am pretty sure that Darmian will be an upgrade on him.

Maybe Fenerbahce are in need for a RB as well? Or have Torino purchased a replacement for Darmian?

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Prefer to have Valencia as back up to Darmian. Rafa' too is rash to play for RB a club like United. I did love his gutsy performances but this is the right move for both club & player. Good luck to him.

Amethyst

It's banter lads, inn't?
Was Talking about backup RB :boring:
You really don't think Valencia's good enough to be a back up player? Look at the players that were cover for teams that finished ahead of us last season:

Chelsea: Felipe Luis
City: Kolarov and Sagna
Arsenal: Chambers and Monreal

Not a huge difference in quality, in fact I'd Valencia over some of them.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Thanks for the info guys i actually knew, was just trying to make a point to the guy who called him a walking red card.
I got where you were going, just piling on, and pointing out that one of the guys most of the forum is hard for is probably the biggest walking red card in Europe.

Lennon

Once I said, he will be better than G. Neville someday. Maybe he would but it makes absolute no sense to keep him. For both parties. His injury record is terrible. I really loved him for his passion on the pitch and commitment for the club. But it's the right decision.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
On the contrary to all the popular opinions, may I offer to drive Rafael to his next club please just to make sure he goes. Biggest liability to wear a United shirt in the last 10 years. I usually refer to him as a walking red card nowadays, just bracing myself for the bad decisions he makes a living out of. Hopefully in Darmian we will see a much more responsible player.
It's a shame you missed his United career and had to read Goal.com's opinion on him. He's a good player who would easily be a first team player if he could avoid injuries.

Al-T

Plenty of ability and potential but far to physically fragile. A pity, but we need defenders that are fit and available for selection, not tripping over each other in the physio's room.

Robbie Boy

Are people actually surprised that he's off? Has this not been obvious for a long time now?

manutddjw

This one hurts. We watched him grow up in a red shirt. From his preseason debut against Juventus where you thought we had something, to watching him cry his eyes out when he got sent off against Bayern and then him turning into a very good player and his altercation with Tevez that showed a passion for Manchester United that not every player has. I'm sad to see him go and he's one that I truthfully wish nothing but the best for in his future.

On the other hand, although I wish we could keep him and play him, I do understand the decision by the club to move on. Rafael, like Nani, have proven that they can be good players but after so many years and them not being reliable it makes sense to move on.

stevoc

I got where you were going, just piling on, and pointing out that one of the guys most of the forum is hard for is probably the biggest walking red card in Europe.
Ah no worries fair enough, and i sort of agree on Ramos.

Loublaze

ATLien
Apart his injuries he became one of the best performers and most consistent.. I was always proud of him wearing the red jersey. It's a big shame I think he should have another preseason with the team to fight for his place, he's still much better and proven than Darmian and yeah he is also younger.. Good luck wherever you end Rafa..
Much better how? Have you watched Darmian through out his career to make such a claim? Im not saying I have, but look at their numbers. Rafael has played 169 senior career games with 5 goals. Darmian has played 195 with 7 goals. Rafael has played 11 more European games than Darmian but thats no surprise considering he played for United. Darmian still has 3 goals in Europe and Rafael had none.

Darmian is also first choice RB for Italy and represented them at the World cup in 2014, playing every minute of every game. Rafael's only senior tournament for Brazil was the 2012 London Olympics. Darmian won the Pallone Azzurro for being Italy's best national team player in 2014 and he was part of the Serie A team of the year in 2013/14. Rafael has won more medals obviously but Darmian has proved himself more individually. Darmian is only 7 months older than Rafael

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Shame, but for the best.

Could've developed into something really special if not for injuries. A proper try-er who always gave us his all.

Loublaze

ATLien
For the record, I think we're making a mistake. We could instead sell Valencia, who will never really have value again.

Rafael obviously wants to be here, he could backup Darmian (who is durable) and potentially even beat him out if he recovers and if he's hurt then Young (who looked fine at wingback, no worse than Valencia did early as a fullback), Shaw (Blind or Rojo at LB) Jones or a youth player can cover 5-10 games at RB depending on opponent without hurting us.

Unless the medical people think he'll never be healthy again, I wouldn't sell this talented a 25 year old who wants to be here when we now have a durable player in his position to mitigate the risk.
So we should keep players on the basis that they want to be at OT first and foremost, never mind if they're injury prone or don't fit in with the manager's tactics. Lets just sell our most dependable player (Valencia) who will easily give us 35 plus games a season and keep a sicknote who'll struggle to even reach double figures. Makes sense

fallengt

You really don't think Valencia's good enough to be a back up player? Look at the players that were cover for teams that finished ahead of us last season:

Sorry but I've seen enough of his shitty crosses, being a RB doesn't hide the fact that he's clueless in attacking nowadays.
If anything, Valencia and Evans should be sold this summer but that's just my opinion. It's up Loius but whatever, not like it bothers me that much, you don't need 20 quality players to compete the league. Also Ed's done great this summer, maybe one more CB and we'll be more than ready for the next season.

coolredwine

lameredboots

That some are only Chambers and Monreal maybe. Might be comparable to Kolarov but Sagna and Felipe Luis are better than him.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I've be never rated him tbh, he was a complete liability defensively and far too injury prone.

Good luck to him though wherever he ends up though.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Injury free, he had the talent and ability to be one of the best in the world in his position. I wouldn't have traded him for any RB around just a couple of seasons ago. Was completely frozen out by LVG from the looks of things.

Nogbadthebad

Shame for him, one of my favourite players at the club, but his injury record is truly shocking, and most importantly, the manger just doesn't like him it would seem.

I suspect for VG the problem is discipline and sticking to a specific plan, and I don't think he will ever change in that regard. Lived and breathed the club, but you have to trust the manager to get the squad he wants, so I'll wish him all the best, and hope he gets a couple of injury free years and manages to reach his potential.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Likeable guy but not good enough or reliable enough to nail down a first team spot. Correct decision to let him move on I'd say.

Natener

Plays with all his heart and love him to bits, but this is the right move for both parties. Makes no sense having a backup who is going to be an injury concern. And as if his career hasn't stalled enough due to injuries, at 25 he should be playing as much football he can whenever he's fit. He won't find that here anymore.

Walters_19_MuFc

Good player, but never fit, unfortunately. Think it's the right decision. Definitely be missed, though. He's one of those players that wears their heart on their sleeves.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
will always remember his fierce commitment and loved his style of play.
But like others say you can't only have him available for half the season.

Main memory unfortunately is that sending off v Bayern.

We were smashing them, and he gives a stupid foul miles from goal, gets sent off, and we let them back in.

We'd have definitely won that semi final, meaning 50-50 chance in the final.

Regrets...we've had a few,

Status
Not open for further replies.