Rafael?!

CapeTownRed

Where is he?! He's supposed to be fit, but isn't even getting bench minutes. And he's so, so much better than Valencia at RB it's not even funny. This is footballer that can dominate a flank offensively and defensively, and he's not getting a look-in against Antonio Valencia.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
He is the new Herrera, in the sense that he is taking longer than usual to recover from an injury that he should have recovered from weeks ago.

Was last heard of getting match rhythm playing for the under 16's.,

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
I reckon he's probably undergoing a similar procedure to wolverine and having his skeleton reinforced with indestructible metal. He's only 24 so that would give 10 years of injury free football ahead of him.

justboy68

He is the new Herrera, in the sense that he is taking longer than usual to recover from an injury that he should have recovered from weeks ago.

Was last heard of getting match rhythm playing for the under 16's.,
Didn't he just break his jaw or something? I don't think he is properly injured, he's probably playing in youth games for match rhythm just because he is being left out of the side every week.

Bojan11

He will be in the team next week and I bet Van Gaal will realise his mistake. Just like Herrera.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He will be in the team next week and I bet Van Gaal will realise his mistake. Just like Herrera.
I really hope so. The only way of us ensuring top four will be for him to start bringing in players he has frozen out and drop players who imbalance the squad. Otherwise we'll be far too stop start.

Tarrou

He's been fit for a while no? I thought Van Gaal just doesn't rate him

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
It's been discussed in the other Rafael thread already, but I really wonder how Van Gaal rates him. Because his first impression was that red card at Bayern, and then this season started and there was the penalty incident. Can't believe he would actually think Rafael's not up to it, because it's not that hard to see what a great player he could be.

But you never know. It's just so weird since Shaw, Jones, Rojo and Smalling have all been very reckless at times this season. And then Jonny Evans has introduced a different kind of recklessness, Rafael hasn't been worse than they were. Maybe he's playing Valencia/McNair because he feels they deserve to start, and especially Valencia hasn't been that bad this season. Or maybe it was Rafael in that video.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Valencia has been pretty good defensively but he stifles our attack far, far too much from an overlapping perspective. He's too predictable, and for a man of such stature and stamina, he doesn't do near enough to attack fullbacks. Particularly in the diamond where we are visibly begging for width.

Zoo

He's fit and unless there's a reason we don't know about Van Gaal is making a mistake not using him, even if he does want to buy a new RB in the summer. If Valencia isn't going to start then Rafael should clearly be next in line, not McNair.

mattsville

The best right full at the club, good positioning, good with the ball and drive going forward, mental he is not playing.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
He's not our definite solution to the RB problem. He is an accident waiting to happen at times (especially defensively). But I do agree that he must be given much more chances. Heck, even McNair got a 3-game starting trial run at RB.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He's not our definite solution to the RB problem. He is an accident waiting to happen at times (especially defensively). But I do agree that he must be given much more chances. Heck, even McNair got a 3-game starting trial run at RB.
I rate Rafaels defensive work tbh. He's normally a bit rusty when he comes back from injury but that's true of almost every player. He actually provides us with an attacking threat down the right side when he plays and that's good enough for me.

Eric'sCollar

Asked for his wife's permission before signing up
A lot of the criticism over him being a 'mistake waiting to happen' or 'rash' etc is based on his past. In recent seasons, he has become far more solid and reliable. Sure, he can make a mistake here and there like any player but for some reason he gets the label that he had 5 years ago purely because people harped on about it and made it stick. I don't think he makes any more errors than any other player.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
The U-21s line-up should provide some clue as to Van Gaal's intentions. I don't expect him to walk straight back into the team, but give his attacking threat he wouldn't be a bad option from the bench (he'd probably make a better winger than Valencia these days).

caid

A lot of the criticism over him being a 'mistake waiting to happen' or 'rash' etc is based on his past. In recent seasons, he has become far more solid and reliable. Sure, he can make a mistake here and there like any player but for some reason he gets the label that he had 5 years ago purely because people harped on about it and made it stick. I don't think he makes any more errors than any other player.
I think his reputation for being rash and a mistake waiting to happen is pretty unfair and works quite badly against him.
Referee's tend not to give him the benefit of the doubt. Kind of feels like any 50 / 50 decision or bullshit playacting by the opposition will go against him 9 times out of 10.
Outside of the bayern red (which i thought was extremely harsh) and the red card last season against stoke (i think) around christmas i wouldn't criticise him really. (now i think of it it was fabio who got sent off against stoke ... probably ... my memory is terrible)
Probably more examples but they're the only 2 i can think of really.

His height and lack of physicality might be van gaals issue with him actually. Did cost us a goal against chelsea ... sort of ... fellaini should have been marking drogba really.

jem

I completely agree. It's like the commentators can't let go of the few rash moments he had a couple of years ago. For me, the only issue with Rafael is fitness (but then who of our defenders can't you say that about?)

::sonny::

Where is he?! He's supposed to be fit, but isn't even getting bench minutes. And he's so, so much better than Valencia at RB it's not even funny. This is footballer that can dominate a flank offensively and defensively, and he's not getting a look-in against Antonio Valencia.
Because he is rated only in this forum, the reality is different.

wiz4231

He's the best RB we have, well the only 1 we have, the other 2 are playing out of position, I guess that's the reason, LVG philosophy = play as many players out of position or something stupid like Rafael doesn't meet the LVG height requirement for a FB.

Mali_Zeus

He's the best RB we have, well the only 1 we have, the other 2 are playing out of position, I guess that's the reason, LVG philosophy = play as many players out of position or something stupid like Rafael doesn't meet the LVG height requirement for a FB.
Yeah, its not as if Rafael is more injured than fit usually.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
He's fit now, you got to play your best players to win.
Even if we brought him in for the next game, you'd imagine he'd no doubt go down injured once more within 3 or so appearances,
Despite the fact I also believe Rafael can bring an added dimension down our right side when he plays, the sad reality is we need to find a more reliable RB.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
Even if we brought him in for the next game, you'd imagine he'd no doubt go down injured once more within 3 or so appearances,
Despite the fact I also believe Rafael can bring an added dimension down our right side when he plays, the sad reality is we need to find a more reliable RB.
That doesn't explain why he isn't currently playing, would you really out a player that is more proven in a position just because you'll replace him come the summer?

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Yeah, its not as if Rafael is more injured than fit usually.
It's actually been somewhere in the region of six weeks out injured, give or take, spread over half a year's worth of competitive football. So in truth, the reverse would appear to be the case.

That leaves an awful lot of matches in which he could have started but didn't, even allowing for Van Gaal's insistence of an U-21 fixture beforehand. His detractors believe that the fitness argument is a strong one, yet i would have to question its basis in fact as of this season (indeed two out of the last three have been decent enough).

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
That doesn't explain why he isn't currently playing, would you really out a player that is more proven in a position just because you'll replace him come the summer?
It just feels like, to me, if we brought him back, he'll go down within a blink of an eye anyway, so whats the point in clamouring for his inclusion, it's almost as if I, on a personal note have just written him off already, if that makes any sense.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
It just feels like, to me, if we brought him back, he'll go down within a blink of an eye anyway, so whats the point in clamouring for his inclusion, it's almost as if I, on a personal note have just written him off already, if that makes any sense.
I understand that, but the fact remains you will get a better performance out of him, it's just whether he will break essentially, there isn't a lot of point in "not playing" him, unless you genuinely believe he will be injured the first game, which you'd hope is something that the Physio would advise.

SammyUnited_83

It's obvious that LvG doesn't fancy him and he will be gone in the summer, it sounded like he was nearly out the door last year.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Such a thing has not occurred in all the months of training and U-21 matches, Occ/Nov was the last time he could be said to have relapsed although that may have been an over hasty return from the injury he originally sustained.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
If he's fit then its possibly the most frustrating of Van Gaal's decisions. Playing Valencia ahead of him doesn't make sense to me but playing a teenage centre back there is just awful management. In my opinion we are undoubtedly a better side both going forward and in defence with him in the side, this is even true this year when he has been injured / not at his best.

justboy68

I'll honestly be devastated if we force him out in the summer.

You also play like you love the club. Why is United special to you?
Because of everything. The club picked me up and helped me ever since I arrived here – everyone, and I would say every single person. I can never say enough about this club. It is one of the best clubs in the world, if not the best in the world.

After six years here and following the departures of Rio Ferdinand, Nemanja Vidic and Patrice Evra, you’re now one of the longest-serving defenders at the club…
Jonny [Evans] as well, of course. I am glad but sad because a lot of friends have left. I am glad I am still here. I want to keep going and stay here forever, if possible. It depends on me to play well, I need to play well. I just want to stay here.
Now I'm beginning to understand how the Welbeck fans felt :(

Our Brazilian Gary Neville if we want him to be.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Valencia has been pretty good defensively but he stifles our attack far, far too much from an overlapping perspective. He's too predictable, and for a man of such stature and stamina, he doesn't do near enough to attack fullbacks. Particularly in the diamond where we are visibly begging for width.
Aye, it's really puzzling. Valencia used to eat fullbacks for breakfast, consistently. (though that's a good 2 years in the past now :( ). It's just amazing how bereft of any confidence he has become. Even when he finds himself 1 v 1 against the opposing fullback or winger who's marking him, he hardly ever takes him on.

It's a sad state when Rafael will provide more of an attacking threat than Valencia.

Ringo 07

Rafael is an absolute liability when it comes to defending and will cost us in many more games if he plays again but I think he probably offers more than Valencia and McNair currently but not by much and I won't lose sleep when he is sold in the summer

NK86

Rafael is an absolute liability when it comes to defending and will cost us in many more games if he plays again but I think he probably offers more than Valencia and McNair currently but not by much and I won't lose sleep when he is sold in the summer
I think you are very unfair on him. He does have some moments where he is rash but he has ironed out a lot of that the last couple of seasons. The media just seem to paint the same picture which they saw when he came to us as a teenager. It's his injuries that have been a problem rather than his defensive ability. Also, he would definitely be a big step up from McNair in the RB spot. Saying anything else seems to be just bias against him.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
That stopped being a fair criticism quite some time ago.

Mali_Zeus

Sorry, but that's a complete exaggeration.