Raheem Sterling

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Good player who is better than 80% of our attackers but I still wouldn't take him.

Anderson_7_

I can't believe some people in this thread are calling him crap. I'd sign him up without thinking twice.

Stacks

He played 21 games worth of minutes in the league last season. He scored 3 goals. Surely he should’ve scored more than that given City apparently put chances on a plate for anyone and everyone.
People think its easy to walk into a team and score goals. Grealish is a good lesson to anyone who thinks that any good player will produce for City. 100m and then you look at guys like Werner. The Sterling disrespect is a never ending saga

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Sterling is a quickness dependent attacker who has played a massive number of career minutes for a player his age. I’d be very worried about a Rooney or Sánchez type career trajectory where he starts falling off relatively young.

No way I would want any part of giving him a big five year deal this summer.

Orc

Pretended to be a United fan for two years
Supports
Chelsea
Sterling is a quickness dependent attacker who has played a massive number of career minutes for a player his age. I’d be very worried about a Rooney or Sánchez type career trajectory where he starts falling off relatively young.

No way I would want any part of giving him a big five year deal this summer.
If he were a big, muscular type of player who depended on his physical strength and explosiveness I’d be worried. But he’s small and thin and hasn’t really shown signs of deterioration. If the fee is somehow under £40m that’s a punt worth taking. As a high profile English player, even if he declines in 2-3 years time he’ll have a pretty long list of suitors.

With our luck lately buying wide attackers I think it’s smart to bring someone in who has been great at another big PL club.

flappyjay

Yeah but they’re still fullbacks. Nobody says Liverpool plays with a back two because their FBs get forward so often. It’s a weird argument to make imo
But there is no denying that they are the creaters for their team even if they are defenders right?

cyberman

But there is no denying that they are the creaters for their team even if they are defenders right?
I’m not saying they park the bus but it is a back 5 with 2 defensive players in front of them and I would say Mount is valued for his hard work as well in front of those 2.
I never said the fullbacks aren’t creative but most teams do now so it’s not indicative whether it’s an attacking formation or not.

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
If he were a big, muscular type of player who depended on his physical strength and explosiveness I’d be worried. But he’s small and thin and hasn’t really shown signs of deterioration.
Sterling isn’t thin mate…

I’m not arguing that he’ll age badly, but he isn’t ‘thin’! He’s built.

Compare him to Mahrez and he’s closer to an Aguero type build.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
If he were a big, muscular type of player who depended on his physical strength and explosiveness I’d be worried. But he’s small and thin and hasn’t really shown signs of deterioration. If the fee is somehow under £40m that’s a punt worth taking. As a high profile English player, even if he declines in 2-3 years time he’ll have a pretty long list of suitors.

With our luck lately buying wide attackers I think it’s smart to bring someone in who has been great at another big PL club.
Body type is less important than usage IMO.

Sterling is like a used car that doesn't look that old but has 200,000 miles on it. He has already played over 36,000 minutes of first team football in his career.

To put that number in perspective, Mane and Son are both 2.5-3 years older but have each played about 35,500 minutes. Serge Gnabry is one year younger and has played just over 19,000 minutes.

Rooney, Sanchez, and Hazard also played massive amounts early in their careers and then weren't the same players after about 28.

Its obviously not a lock to happen with Sterling but 300-350k per week on a five year deal to get his age 28-32 seasons is not a bet I would want to make. Once you factor in those kinds of wages, I don't think the list of suitors is very long if he does turn into a pumpkin.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Body type is less important than usage IMO.

Sterling is like a used car that doesn't look that old but has 200,000 miles on it. He has already played over 36,000 minutes of first team football in his career.

To put that number in perspective, Mane and Son are both 2.5-3 years older but have each played about 35,500 minutes. Serge Gnabry is one year younger and has played just over 19,000 minutes.

Rooney, Sanchez, and Hazard also played massive amounts early in their careers and then weren't the same players after about 28.

Its obviously not a lock to happen with Sterling but 300-350k per week on a five year deal to get his age 28-32 seasons is not a bet I would want to make. Once you factor in those kinds of wages, I don't think the list of suitors is very long if he does turn into a pumpkin.
I kinda agree with this.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
He played 21 games worth of minutes in the league last season. He scored 3 goals. Surely he should’ve scored more than that given City apparently put chances on a plate for anyone and everyone.
....he scored 13 mate.

Bwuk

Very good signing for 35m if that’s what he goes for.

He’d walk into our side.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Excellent signing for that price given he's still relatively young.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
I simply don't understand why we don't appear interested in him: he has pace, creates opportunities for others and scores a fair amount of goals (especially compared with what we have right now). And if the quoted price is correct, a very good deal... oh, that's why we aren't interested

Judas

Open to offers
He's a good player, but I'd not want him. He's just beyond frustrating and misses so many chances. Feel like he's stagnated at City though and a move may very well revitalise him.

Hughes35

Great player. He'd be a brilliant signing for any team IMO.

City wouldn't sell to us though. They don't need the money.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Why would any club pay more than 35m when he only has one year contract left?

Abraxas

People keep saying he's a shite finisher...but he ain't that far off a goal every other game as a wide forward. That's a phenomenal record. I wonder what his record would be if he was a decent finisher...

Maybe he gets plenty of chances because he's a good player and puts himself into that position, creates chances for himself with his movement, and also undoubtedly because he's playing for a good side. Not sure why those things should be held against him mind...

Status
Not open for further replies.