Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Will probably sign him yano.

DickDastardly

I mean, come on!

Who here loves gay dwarves ffs?

They creep up to you and start sucking your balls, no questions asked, happened to me a couple of times.

Fully support his cause!

izec

There are plenty of people with a backwards mindset, so not surprised about the comments. They usually dont admit it publicly

No Idea For Nickname

Patroness Saint of the anti-RAWKites
Is this true @No Idea For Nickname? Do you guys hate dwarves?
Nah, have no problem with them, but what we do not like is this:
I was going to write something about him being Croatian and it being unsurprising. Didn’t know he was born in Switzerland though.
Such views would be pretty common throughout the Balkans.
So, is Croatia an especially homophobic country or did ol' Ivan just turn into a bigot cnut on his own?
So, one guy said something stupid, and whole country and region are labeled as such?!

Remember years ago, European championship 2004, Sweden - Denmark? Anyone? Oh yes you do remember it, I personaly loved reading Western European press saying "don't worry Italy, it is Scandinavian people, they won't play 2-2, you are lucky Italy, if that was 2 countries from Balkans, well, that would be 2-2, but not Scandinavians, no"
What was the result of the game? Yes, you are right. 2-2.
Should we all now, well, since 2004, think Scandinavian people are ...well.. not very nice or fair? No!

There are idiots in every street, every city, every country, but it does not mean that whole street, whole city, whole country are idiots too.

R'hllor

R'hllor

So, one guy said something stupid, and whole country and region are labeled as such?!

Remember years ago, European championship 2004, Sweden - Denmark? Anyone? Oh yes you do remember it, I personaly loved reading Western European press saying "don't worry Italy, it is Scandinavian people, they won't play 2-2, you are lucky Italy, if that was 2 countries from Balkans, well, that would be 2-2, but not Scandinavians, no"
Should we all now, well, since 2004, think Scandinavian people are ...well.. not very nice or fair? No!

There are idiots in every street, every city, every country, but it does not mean that whole street, whole city, whole country are idiots too.
Yep you got it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

I asked, I didn't state anything.

Welby5

Supports
Chelsea
Opponents should go on to the pitch wearing lippy, mascara, Chanel no 5, wink at him and say hello sailor. He'd be looking for a new job next week.

Last edited by a moderator:

Untd55

Is the translation actually correct? I can't read the language and wouldn't want to base my opinion on someone else's translation.

I am not sure I trust these people who go around social media hunting for things people have said. How would you even find this? It is from 2012.

Seveneric

You'd be surprised (or not) that this is probably a view that a lot of players hold, right down to your idols, but they're smart enough not to say it out loud.

RochaRoja

Yep, nothing to do with decades of ethnic and religious conflicts in the regions and homophobic laws that were upheld by referenda within the region. It’s entirely based on what a Swiss guy of Croatian background said. Well deduced.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
It's not surprising at all really. Homophobia is still a rather huge problem globally and football isn't exactly a sport for the enlightened thinking man.

Dan_F

Chill. I don’t think anyone is implying that. You can’t really deny that discrimination is more prevalent in that region that others.

The Dodfather

Since his 2012 comments have resurfaced, it is only fair to bring up his 2014 follow-up statement:

Source
Fair enough if he's changed his views but I don't get how things like this can be a misunderstanding. Barring "what are the complete opposite of your views on gay players" I cant think of a context that would lead you to say something like this if you didn't mean it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
For all we know, he might be abused by his gay dwarf uncle as a kid.

And also, spouting so many dislikes in one sentence was so awfully weird. Was he drunk when saying that?

Last edited:

Tiber

How thick do you need to be to think saying that to a journalist is a smart idea? Or does a squad containing racist cannibals simply have bigger issues to focus on?

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Opened the article and saw it was in Croatian. Do you know it or you used google translate?
I got the translation off of Reddit, but this is Google Translate's translation of the key paragraph:
"It's not true that three years ago I said I would never share a gay dresser. It was a misunderstanding. I'm an open person and I have no problems with gay players. I'm open to sharing a dressing room with anyone who is a good person and a good player, and sexual orientation is not important to me, "said Rakitić, who, in the May celebration of the European League conquering, kissed Daniela Carriça in the mouth.
Daniela Carriça :lol:

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Fair enough if he's changed his views but I don't get how things like this can be a misunderstanding. Barring "what are the complete opposite of your views on gay players" I cant think of a context that would lead you to say something like this if you didn't mean it.
This was the question that led to the answer in that 2012 interview:
ORIGINAL: Hace un año, la FIFA multó a Vlatko Markovic, presidente de la Federación de fútbol croata, por declarar que “de ninguna manera podría jugar un homosexual en la selección” y que “afortunadamente, el fútbol sólo lo juega la gente sana”. ¿Has compartido vestuario con algún jugador homosexual? Que opinas al respecto?

Google Translate: A year ago, FIFA fined Vlatko Markovic, president of the Croatian Football Federation, for declaring that "in no way could a gay man play in the national team" and that "fortunately, football is only played by healthy people". Have you shared a costume with a homosexual player? What's your opinion about it?
Note: Rakitic's answer in Spanish:
Respeto a los homosexuales, pero no quiero a esa gente en el vestuario. No me marcharía de un equipo por eso, porque respeto igual a un homosexual que a un negro, un gordo o un enano, pero de ser posible prefiero no tener a gays en mi vida.
I don't know why he answered it this way. He could have kept it with, "I respect homosexuals, and they should be able to play the game," and that's it. This is one of those instances where being unnecessarily open left him in a bad position. Still, the fact that this is being resurfaced in 2019 without his follow-up in 2014 is ridiculous in itself. People have to be given the complete picture before coming to a judgement (no matter how bad we are at judging people).

HTG

Supports
Bayern
He's an asshole. But many people on here are not making the compelling case about it, they think they are making.

Charles Miller

Well, i'll not pretend i'm surprised a player named Rakitic is racist. I would be shocked if he was not racist though.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
This was the question that led to the answer in that 2012 interview:

Note: Rakitic's answer in Spanish:

I don't know why he answered it this way. He could have kept it with, "I respect homosexuals, and they should be able to play the game," and that's it. This is one of those instances where being unnecessarily open left him in a bad position. Still, the fact that this is being resurfaced in 2019 without his follow-up in 2014 is ridiculous in itself. People have to be given the complete picture before coming to a judgement (no matter how bad we are at judging people).
Well people see what they want to see unfortunately.

Charles Miller

No. Ignorance isn't an excuse and i'm not excusing him for his comments either. I do however believe that people can change and that tweets like that don't help the situation when they omitt details of when this was said (7 years ago) and the later comments he made in 2014. Do we know if Rakitic is being sincere in the 2014 comments? No, but i'd like to believe in a world where we can act on reconciliation and education of ignorance. A lot of people that make these sort of comments do not understand why it is a problem at the deep rooted level and I think educating them as to why is the only thing that will make them realise, aside from the obvious.
Racists never change. They pretend not be racists anymore if it will help in their careers. For example, i suspect all those people in the Redcafe that we see in this kind of threads making excuses are fellow racists. When this kind of behavior do not make you angry, when your first instinctive reaction is to look for an excuse, it tells me everything i need to know.

That kind of mentality comes from the family and culture. Put that guy in a region where be racist is not a big deal and he would most probably show his true collors.

HTG

Supports
Bayern
Do elaborate..
Look at the post above yours. The thread is full of this shit. Even those critical of the statements often showcase racism and homophobia themselves. It's tiring to read, really.

Status
Not open for further replies.