Ralf Rangnick | 2021/22 Interim Manager Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
We started well and there was a clear idea about what we were doing: mid-block, mid-press. For the first half an hour we controlled the areas of the game in which the match was played.

However, once the game went away from us there was no adjustment. We didn't even switch to a 4-2-2-2 and try to clog up the centre to try and win the second balls. The substitutions were also a bit strange, since Cavani just wasn't in the game and it would've made more sense to leave one of Bruno and Greenwood on in the hopes of a hero ball moment.

Better, in parts, just not good enough.

Jireh

Supports
Utd
How can Steven Gerrard, with worse players outplay us twice in the same week? Gerrard was appointed just 2 weeks earlier than Ralf and he is already settled in and playing amazing football.

After news about the dressing room unrest, Ralf seems to have chickened out from implementing his desired formation.

Season is lost, lets play the kids to get the desired experience. Aston Villa's Ramsey is more mature and technical on the ball than most of our lads.

Last edited:

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
How can Steven Gerrard, with worse players outplay us twice in the same week. Gerrard was appointed just 2 weeks earlier than Ralf and he is already settled in and playing amazing football.

After news about the dressing room unrest, he seems to have chickened out from implementing his desired formation.

Season is lost, lets play the kids to get the desired experience. Aston Villa's Ramsey is more mature and technical on the ball than most of our lads.
They aren't worse players. The line ups today were pretty even.

edgecutter

How can Steven Gerrard, with worse players outplay us twice in the same week. Gerrard was appointed just 2 weeks earlier than Ralf and he is already settled in and playing amazing football.

After news about the dressing room unrest, he seems to have chickened out from implementing his desired formation.

Ole has left a terrible side filled with overpaid players

acnumber9

I could see that Villa were hammering us down our right flank, how could a football manager not see it and try to do something about it?

Kopral Jono

We started well and there was a clear idea about what we were doing: mid-block, mid-press. For the first half an hour we controlled the areas of the game in which the match was played.

However, once the game went away from us there was no adjustment. We didn't even switch to a 4-2-2-2 and try to clog up the centre to try and win the second balls. The substitutions were also a bit strange, since Cavani just wasn't in the game and it would've made more sense to leave one of Bruno and Greenwood on in the hopes of a hero ball moment.

Better, in parts, just not good enough.
Good post. Rangnick has to take his share of the blame for tonight's edition of a bottle job, but bolded just goes to show how dumb and weak our players are each time a game plays into the opposition's hands.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
It seems he's finally starting to pull some strings which is good to see. Maybe coming in mid december/Jan wasn't the best timing for him and it's taken a few weeks to see something blossom.

I like that he's humble enough to realise his 4-2-2-2 wasn't working. I like that he's making some big decisions and leaving Maguire on the bench. He's keeping Elanga in the side on merit and not instantly putting Rashford straight back in.

I think he's probably realised you can't come in and change this team over night, but we've seen some slow shoots of recovery IMO.

if anything he's making sure the likes of Maguire, Rashford, Shaw, AWB they have to be at their best if they want back into the side. Competition for places is coming fierce which should hopefully raise the team level.

Bestietom

He will have to be a miracle worker with this lot. Any manager coming in this summer will need to change at least six of this lot.

Bestietom

What the feck happens with Ronaldo now? Don't get me wrong it's an exciting appointment that signals a genuine, positive change of direction for the club at last, but Ronnie is going to be a problem for Rangnick.
Then Rangnick has to sort him out. He has got to show all players that there is no favouritism, no matter who.

crossy1686

career ending
Then Rangnick has to sort him out. He has got to show all players that there is no favouritism, no matter who.
Bringing Ronaldo off yesterday, then having a public word with him could have been a bit of a flex from Ralf actually. Sets a tone that no one is untouchable and even Ronaldo tantruming won’t be tolerated. Might help some of the jokers fall in line.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I don't understand his DVB issue.
Rangnick is someone who likes playing very vertical football. He usually used physically strong CMs for possession wins high up the pitch and quick transitions. Not really the perfect job description for van de Beek who is more suited to ball retention and patient build up. If you want to count Rangnick among German top coaches, he's probably the one whose approach has adopted the least from the possession style of Guardiola et al.

Glorio

Starting to see what I hope are the sproutings of improvement. Much better second time round against Villa (for the first 70 mins or so) and a decent performance against Brentford. We just need to find the right shape even in possession to not be so open when we lose it and get countered.

Jireh

Supports
Utd
I applaud him for benching Ronaldo and allowing the kids more game time. I was critical of him for his double standards, but he showed that he has a spine by reigning in Ronaldo.

kiristao

Two consecutive games now, his subs have helped us win. Really happy that today he took a midfielder in Fred for a striker and went for the win.

Ludens the Red

When he made those subs I did think “wtf” as we effectively emptied midfield. But fair play, everyone who came on had a hand in the winner.

Status
Not open for further replies.