Ralf Rangnick | 2021/22 Interim Manager Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

DevTheRed

How have we gone from those first 30 minutes against Palace to what we are seeing now. It’s literally night and day. The pressing has completely disappeared.

Clearly that’s how he wants us to play so why has it regressed so much?

Chairman Steve

I think he has an unenviable job on his hands. He has a squad that possibly has had an easy ride from the previous regime and he is Captain Buzzkill here to make players work the hardest they’ve worked in years, which makes him temporarily unfavorable in the eyes of some of our players (hopefully that culture shock hurdle is overcome though)

A penny for this thoughts as to what he does think of the Utd squad he has to work with. He’s probably wondering how some of them are on the money they’re on and why there’s a deficiency in the central midfield area.

I just hope when he comes to moving upstairs (which lets face it is why a lot of us were excited to why he’s here, rather than the interim role) that he tells the new manager what’s what with this squad, like who needs to go, which academy players to consider, who needs to come in, what formations works best etc.In the past it feels like a new manager basically has to find it all out for himself and hence why some players stay much longer than needed because the new manager doesn’t know if they’re good enough or not.

Banat

I'm not turning on him, but for someone who speaks so much of control of the game, there is no way you can start both Cavani and Ronaldo.

AneRu

Need to go away from the 4-2-2-2. We just don't have the midfield players to make it successful. Seems like it's too much change too soon.
I think the formation could be successful if he actually played with two No.10s behind the forwards and played mobile strikers up top. I think Cavani/Martial and Greenwood/Rashford could work but we don't have the fullbacks for it. In reality we aren't built to play that way at all maybe when Pogba returns but still the FB issues will persist.

Think it's time to go to a 4-3-3 with Greenwood up top and Bruno from in behind. But for his tactics to work he needs Lingard and Donny, the former is our best presser and latter might bring composure in the middle.

Cristiano for all his goals he seems to drag the team down, he will score the most goals but your forward line will regress so he is net negative. However today he wasnt the problem, McT couldn't pass the ball, Sancho was terrible, Cavani faded in the 2nd half and Shaw and AWB were just average. Don't know why Shaw doesn't overlap for Sancho, always leaving him with a two on one situation by staying back.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Was there some sort of decree that any new manager we get has to completely ignore the middle of the pitch?

SirScholes

I'm not turning on him, but for someone who speaks so much of control of the game, there is no way you can start both Cavani and Ronaldo.
Agreed, 1 shot on target between them after playing 2 back to back games

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Yea Cavani seems to playing a sort of 10 role and he isnt really good at it.

We are very weak in MF. Mctominah is a counter attacking MF. He cannot control the game or spring passes out to the wings. Our MF has just been terrible since we signed Fellaini tbh.

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
Season's a write off. Rest of the season is now basically pre-season to see who should stay and go, and what we need. Ralf will step aside in May and will advise this new manager on what needs to be done. I expect a stabilised top 4 push in the 2023-24 season. Next season our hopes lie on a Europa League win and probably a 5th/6th place finish. Title push? Who knows. I'm expecting nothing from this season now.

Look at the players we have and their attitudes and how they play, and tell me the above is ridiculous.

klsv

Post-match was asked what he thought about the pressing, especially in the first half. Said that there wasn't any because we didn't get into the pressing situations and lacked control because Wolves was overloading the midfield. Then got asked about tactics in general, if the same issues we had tonight we also had during the previous matches, Ralf replied that to this extent but Wolves are also the best side he faced up until now. Pretty damning all this.

I think people need to remember who he is and what he's here for.

We signed him because there is a lot rotten in this club, and somebody needs to come in, identify it, and remove it. That's going to cause some problems in the short term as many players won't like it, but it needs to happen, and it can't be done if we're expected to play swashbuckling football at the same time. He needs to test the players and identify who can follow instructions, who gives it their all, and who will run to the press as soon as something happens they don't like.

He's the guy who rips the plaster off.

DON’T PANIC ™

Post-match was asked what he thought about the pressing, especially in the first half. Said that there wasn't any because we didn't get into the pressing situations and lacked control because Wolves was overloading the midfield. Then got asked about tactics in general, if the same issues we had tonight we also had during the previous matches, Ralf replied that to this extent but Wolves are also the best side he faced up until now. Pretty damning all this.
Where was this? Sky coverage ended with no interview from Ralph.

Ollie Derbyshire

I’m not sure what he’s trying to do to be honest, he keeps picking a formation that isn’t working, playing players in positions that don’t suit them and not picking a midfield that has a chance of getting control on the game. He talks of pressing but isn’t demanding it or picking players who can do it. Just a bit of a mess really.

Hopefully he either gets well drilled in this formation or changes it to one that suits us more.

Name Changed

weso26
You cannot play any type of pressing game with Ronaldo in the team. Either you play a differnt system or you drop Ronaldo against the better sides. He needs to decide and quick.

NewUser777

But what about passion? And wanting it more?
Extremely important! Key ingredient watching both Arse-city and Liverpool- Chelsea. Intensity, tempo and sacrifice. Playing and working as a team wanting it more. Still need to work on that. A bit. But to put this on Ralf? Not fair.

Danny

I’m not sure what he’s trying to do to be honest, he keeps picking a formation that isn’t working, playing players in positions that don’t suit them and not picking a midfield that has a chance of getting control on the game. He talks of pressing but isn’t demanding it or picking players who can do it. Just a bit of a mess really.

Hopefully he either gets well drilled in this formation or changes it to one that suits us more.
Who can he pick to help control the midfield though? Not happened in years.

Dunk the Lunk

Poor result but ill give him time, he's been here for like a minute. It'll take time to remove the stank ole left behind.

lex talionis

Not Ralf's most impressive performance as United manager. The 4222 hasn't worked at all for us -- improved 1v1 defending (although Maguire is still a shambles) and outrageous goalkeeping have kept us in matches we've been outplayed in -- and deprives us our using our our width. Rashford has been horrifying since the arrival of Ralf, but of course he's been horrifying since he picked up the injuries over a year ago and delayed getting surgery for, and Sancho hasn't gotten off the blocks either.

Ralf needs to forget about his 4222 and play to the strength of our players, which is to create more width in a 352 setup. But before even going there, someone needs to have a word with whoever is making the big decisions to bring in a proper midfielder in January. A proper midfielder won't solve everything, but doing so will allow us to take two of Matic, Fred and McTominay off the pitch and allow us more attacking freedom. With Dave having returned to top form we can afford the luxury of not stacking defenders in front of him and allow players who want to express themselves in attacking situations to actually do that. Right now, we're far too rigid, no chances are being created and we're sitting ducks for the smash and grab goal for the win.

Danny

I’ll keeping sticking to it, we need to play a midfield three not two. That would at least give us a chance.
Yeah possibly. Part of the issue is that McTominay doesn’t have the qualities to be a holding midfielder. Gives too many fouls away needlessly, struggles to play good, decent passes to those in front of him constantly. Maybe in a three he can be the one to use his physical attributes more.

FromTheBench

He wants to play pressing system or play Ronaldo. Has to choose there.

Also implementing a new philosophy as a interim was always gonna be tough. Players will take time and evade when they know he's temporary anyway and he has to cut deadwood too.

The United

You cannot play any type of pressing game with Ronaldo in the team. Either you play a differnt system or you drop Ronaldo against the better sides. He needs to decide and quick.
That and any of our players even at their best like Shaw, Pogba and Bruno are hardly press resistant either. I don't care too much about pressing the other team. I care that our biggest problem is that we have no idea how to play with getting pressed. Losing all 50 - 50 balls and second balls all day long makes us a Sunday league team.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
Not Ralf's most impressive performance as United manager. The 4222 hasn't worked at all for us -- improved 1v1 defending (although Maguire is still a shambles) and outrageous goalkeeping have kept us in matches we've been outplayed in -- and deprives us our using our our width. Rashford has been horrifying since the arrival of Ralf, but of course he's been horrifying since he picked up the injuries over a year ago and delayed getting surgery for, and Sancho hasn't gotten off the blocks either.

Ralf needs to forget about his 4222 and play to the strength of our players, which is to create more width in a 352 setup. But before even going there, someone needs to have a word with whoever is making the big decisions to bring in a proper midfielder in January. A proper midfielder won't solve everything, but doing so will allow us to take two of Matic, Fred and McTominay off the pitch and allow us more attacking freedom. With Dave having returned to top form we can afford the luxury of not stacking defenders in front of him and allow players who want to express themselves in attacking situations to actually do that. Right now, we're far too rigid, no chances are being created and we're sitting ducks for the smash and grab goal for the win.
Ole was playing to the strengths to the players. Face it, he can use any formation or tactics and that would still fall short if the players dont give a shit and cant complete simple passes.

Turd cannot be polished, it can only be flushed before it stinks up the place. Guess what its stinking now and we should back the manager if he decides to flush.

Ollie Derbyshire

Yeah possibly. Part of the issue is that McTominay doesn’t have the qualities to be a holding midfielder. Gives too many fouls away needlessly, struggles to play good, decent passes to those in front of him constantly. Maybe in a three he can be the one to use his physical attributes more.
We should at least try it, I’d like to see a 3 of say Matic (as we don’t have another CDM), Fred/McT and Bruno/DVB, that way we have a sitter, a box to box and a passer. We could then have a front 3 of Sancho, Ronaldo and Greenwood.
I’d prefer to try that than what he is atm.

Marquee Moon

I don't know how he thinks a couple of 50 year olds up front and a couple of skyscrapers standing 6 foot 5 in midfield could ever work. If it were me I would deploy any alternative formation than shoot myself in the foot like this.
It's not fair on the other players either.
So it's probably a good thing the youngsters aren't getting mixed up in it, because they would be judged harshly based on performances in which we might as well be playing with 9 men.
I didn't think it was even possible, but there is actually someone worse than Solksjaer!

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
He's got a giant job on his hands. And I'm not sure the players will buy into his ideas.
I hope we finally start acting like a well-functioning football club. That means making the tough decisions and working on a long-term plan. Rangnick can be the man to help us with that but I'm worried the board won't listen too much to him and he'll end up a frustrated figure in his two years after the interim management bit.

Anyone turning on him now is an idiot. At the moment our players can't do the bare minimum in terms of basic technique and decisions for most of the game so I have no idea how people were expecting an overnight change. Right now, we seem to be in a place where our full backs have been told to attack more but they constantly get caught out of position for an easy counter because someone else is losing possesions through amateurish mistakes. It's a bit like when you want to grow your hair long and it looks absolutely ridiculous in the in-between stage.

Redlyn

We should at least try it, I’d like to see a 3 of say Matic (as we don’t have another CDM), Fred/McT and Bruno/DVB, that way we have a sitter, a box to box and a passer. We could then have a front 3 of Sancho, Ronaldo and Greenwood.
I’d prefer to try that than what he is atm.
Matic playing most of the games will not end well. That's why we have been using McFred. A great midfielder would solve at least half of our problems.

marcus agrippa

This for me is key as much as the central midfield
I strongly disagree.

If you've got an aggressive high press, the backline can move up, the midfield with it, and the forwards don't really have to run that much, other than maybe shift and close passing lanes. You don't need Ronaldo to run too much for that to work.

If you have the half-hearted press we see today, where sometimes the front three or four press, the mids drop off, and the backline as well, you get the gaps we see, where Wolves basically play around it, find the space between the back and mid, and are at our back four.

The problem is how we set up, with a sort of mid-to-low block, and people not really committed, or mobile in central mid. Matic has no legs, and basically drops sometimes to centre back, McTomminay is average against any technical midfield that doesn't give him space, and the fullbacks are woeful so there's no width there.

marcus agrippa

I should add that we all saw this in that first 30 minutes against Crystal Palace. We see it with Liverpool and CIty as well: centre-backs winning the ball in the opposition half, pinning the oppo in, and leaving their forwards to do the damage, or cut off passing lanes without having to run too much.

Rangnick says this is what he wants to see (I believe he even highlighted Lindelof doing just this against Palace), yet for some reason he's picking players that won't help us do this.

Ollie Derbyshire

Matic playing most of the games will not end well. That's why we have been using McFred. A great midfielder would solve at least half of our problems.
I know but we know howMcFred usually ends as well. Just goes to show how long We’ve neglected the CDM position that Matic is our only real one.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
I would say he's still in the process of working out how dire the situation is and just how bad some of the characters at the club are.

It probably has his mind blown.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
We have a pressing manager in charge who knew after one game he can't play pressing style. Hahahaha.

It doesn't surprise me anymore. The club is a shambles and until someone comes in and buys it off the parasites this is what we will continue to see.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I strongly disagree.

If you've got an aggressive high press, the backline can move up, the midfield with it, and the forwards don't really have to run that much, other than maybe shift and close passing lanes. You don't need Ronaldo to run too much for that to work.

If you have the half-hearted press we see today, where sometimes the front three or four press, the mids drop off, and the backline as well, you get the gaps we see, where Wolves basically play around it, find the space between the back and mid, and are at our back four.

The problem is how we set up, with a sort of mid-to-low block, and people not really committed, or mobile in central mid. Matic has no legs, and basically drops sometimes to centre back, McTomminay is average against any technical midfield that doesn't give him space, and the fullbacks are woeful so there's no width there.
I agree to an extent but days like today we really need that extra body pulling his weight too and he can’t. It’s like ibra all over again

RuudTom83

He hasn’t been in a manager role for a few years.

He hasn’t managed in the Premiership before.

He is taking over mid season because the team has been performing badly.

+Covid
+Busy Christmas schedule
+staff/coach changes

He will at least understand the enormous job he has accepted now.

pablo__p

I refuse to turn on him but man, some of his decisions are baffling.
That said, I'm kinda glad he probably have already fully realized what kind of challenges he and the club needs to tackle this year and then once he moves upstairs.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I'm thirsty for any positive sign but I cannot seem to find one.

The defense is about as broken as it was under Ole, he switched to a back 3 at half time and Shaw was setting the defensive line a good 6-10 feet behind the other two.
No signs of us actively pressing with any plan or purpose save for 30 minutes against Palace.
He doesn't seem to use the squad any better than Ole did. Lingard and VdB are sitting on the bench collecting cobwebs in their boots.
His substitutions are lackluster and barely change the tide of proceedings.
The team still cannot string two passes together to save their lives.
He doesn't seem to know a set formation or a starting XI for his style of play.
Which all brings us to the conclusion that we still do not have a style of play or a plan.
The morale seems lower than at any point and there are fissures and cliques appearing.

Of all three managers this season, Carrick convinced me far more than Ralfie.

Status
Not open for further replies.