Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
- Then he recounted how he would go to games every weekend during his student time in Sussex, taking trains to Highbury, White Hart Lane - only never to Old Trafford because it was too far a trip? Right after he said he'd been going to Goodison Park? So the "too far a trip" part was obviously a lie.
He's obviously hiding something - you're right.

Also a bit suspicious that he went to Goodison - but apparently not Anfield.

I mean, it's commendable - but still suspicious.

TheReligion

Abusive
I love your constrictive criticism of my post. Ok, clearly Rangnick is a more experienced football person overall than Moyes. The expectations, pressure, dealing with superstars etc... It looks that it is going to be a bit new for this guy. He has had success with some build up teams in Germany, but this is different. Moyes has found that out. I mean even LvG and Jose couldn't do anything special. As I said, I hope this guy does great things for us as a manager and whatever he becomes after his interim manager role. It seems club basically promised him more if he does well. I hope he does well.
So what you're saying is Moyes didn't actually have more about him that Rangnick as you just said. And that Rangnick is more experienced and has more knowledge.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
You certainly seem to be quite dismissive of him, regardless of which individual posts are in jest or not. What is about him that annoys you?
He's like if Klinsmann had gone to university.

copen1945

He's obviously hiding something - you're right.

Also a bit suspicious that he went to Goodison - but apparently not Anfield.

I mean, it's commendable - but still suspicious.
So, apparently, he was not and never has been a lifelong fan of United. There are many threads on this forum discussing the feasibility of Mancini. Is this significant, at all?

redshaw

- First he calls Ferguson "Sir Alec".
I'll let you into a little secret about Sir Alex, he doesn't like his name said as Alex that much, it's pronounced Alec and people who know him or know about and respect him know to say his name as Alec.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
I'll let you into a little secret about Sir Alex, he doesn't like his name said as Alex that much, it's pronounced Alec and people who know him or know about and respect him know to say his name as Alec.
Goes to show the Professor does know more than me after all!

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
He's like if Klinsmann had gone to university.
You mean he's an educated knob?

I was expecting maybe it had to do with his guiding money clubs that circumvent the 50+1 rules.

What do you think about Nagelsmann?

Delano

Looks like Jesse Marsch could be out on his arse at Leipzig soon... Looking forward to a new assistant manager rumour.

Blood Mage

I hope he manages to bring some decent coaches to the club in the next couple of weeks. I doubt Phelan and McKenna will be much help to him in implementing his philosophy.

Everyoneout

From the Independent :

Several people close to Rangnick insist he is not walking into Old Trafford with his eyes closed and hasn’t snatched at this shot on account of his desperation to work in England. One source revealed that the “godfather of gegenpressing” has been intensely studying United since 2014 and can recount every misstep they have made since then.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Where can I see that MUTV interview, without hassle?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I hope he manages to bring some decent coaches to the club in the next couple of weeks. I doubt Phelan and McKenna will be much help to him in implementing his philosophy.
Phelan doesn't even coach anymore -- his role was that of the wise, old head on Ole's team. Mckenna -- he will probably learn more from Rangnick than he would be contributing to Rangnick's teaching philosophy -- which would explain why he wants to stay.

Rangnick will need at least 2 of his own handpicked assistants who subscribe to his philosophy for him to be somewhat or minimally effective in view of the packed schedule for the next 8 weeks. Otherwise, it would be only half-baked or partially pregnant.

If he is only partially successful, he wont have enough credit in the bank to make organisational changes ie off the pitch which is his remit for the 2 yrs beyond coaching.

This is why I suspect that he will stay on as a manager/coach to make sure he gets what he wants implemented. Then with that, he will move upstairs. The term 'consultant' is a political term agreed upon by the CEO/Glazers and Rangnick to pacify any organisational resistance to change -- and so to buy him time. So I suspect the Glazers & the CEOs have seen this as a 'project.'

No guarantee for success despite favourable or impressive resumes. We can look at the Scousers and Klopp but how many failures did they suffer before having one that is a Klopp? Arsenal may go through the same journeys of false dawns too.

Give the Glazers some credit -- its clear that they hired Moyes, LVG and Ole as mid to long term projects. Jose was the only short term project with the simple remit of winning trophies. No fans of top clubs have the patience for mid-long term projects. They need their crack-cocaine of football, silverware/trophies -- whilst many owners want sustainable success, both on & off the pitch.

Treading that window/fine line (of sustainable success and short term goal of trophies) is the mission impossible.

Yet, other than the Chelsea project, historically, it's a crapshoot trying to hire 'right' people ie looking for the Messiah.

Or maybe the Chelsea model is what we need to develop? If so, is that who we are?

The United

McKenna is still young and will probably buy his idea. He had a very good reputation with youth teams back in the days.

If anything, he will be hugely benefited from this whole thing. I am not so sure with Phelan, obviously. It is like United give him a job for the sake of it.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
From the Independent :

Several people close to Rangnick insist he is not walking into Old Trafford with his eyes closed and hasn’t snatched at this shot on account of his desperation to work in England. One source revealed that the “godfather of gegenpressing” has been intensely studying United since 2014 and can recount every misstep they have made since then.
During his googling i bet he stumbled upon the caf and a cursory glance would reveal every misstep taken in the last few years.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Wasn't Van Gaal all about the control? Where is the heavy metal football that was promised?
To be a top team, you have to control games. Liverpool control games. People have this mythical idea that gengenpressing involves playing at 500mph every time. It's not true. Although Liverpool are probably the most vertical team in the league, they spend most of the game controlling possession. That is what separates them form a Leeds for example. We need to get back to that.
LVG playing shit football doesn't mean all his ideas were shit.
I would say post Fergie, our most tactically sound period has been under LVG, even though we were drab to watch.

Glorio

Wasn't Van Gaal all about the control? Where is the heavy metal football that was promised?
To be fair we did have a fair bit of control under LVG, we just didn't know what to do with the ball.

I also don't recall him ever promising "heavy metal", or quick and aggressive forward passing football.

passtheball

Rangnick also used the phrase "proactive in and out of possession" in his interview. Control + proactiveness would make it very different from LvG's style which, at least in his time at United, was about possession for its own sake.

Being proactive would mean passing forward most of the time when the team has the ball and, when the team doesn't have the ball, it would mean closing down the opponent to win it back. That is, of course, heavy metal football.

ManRed

you can tell during this entire interview that this guy just knows his shit and knows exactly what he wants to do and how his team needs to set up
Feel kinda bad for him. Coming in without his own support staff and has to learn about the players, club, coaches etc. Set out a team and manage it within 3 days and then games are non-stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.