Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I wasnt impressed.

That was like a charity match last night and I'm baffled as to why he chose to play so many of the youngsters and Mata.
I cant see many of them players featuring much over the season

I'll judge the new manager in May all the same.
Why would you be impressed? he's been in charge less than a week and played a complete shoestring side.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
In a 26 year career.

Ole had
6-1 Spurs
5-0 liverpool
4-2 Leicester
4-1 Watford
4-0 Everton
2-1 Istanbul
2-1 Young Boys
2-0 Burnley
2-0 Cardiff City.

All in under 3 years..
You're reaching here. Results like this happened, even under Fergie in a regular season.

Blood Mage

Anyone analyzing yesterday game seriously or trying to use it to criticize Ralf must have a hard look at themselves in the mirror.
It's just posters who are still hung up about Ole getting sacked and the criticism he received.

Marwood

100% agree, last night we would've seen either Bruno and/or Maguire start for sure. Saying that, if Ole was still in charge, last night would've seen a full strength XI as we'd probably have needed to get a result to qualify.

Ole giving youth a chance is an exaggeration, people will likely throw Williams' name at me but Shaw was frequently injured at the time and we didn't have any back up LB. Greenwood was always going to make the first team sooner or later, Jose wanted him training with the first team when he was 15! In fact, Ole did more harm than good with youth, he blocked the pathway for the likes of Elanga, Mejbri and Amad by hoarding players in those positions, players like Martial, Lingard and Mata should've been sold last summer or the one before and those players promoted to squad positons.
After last night it's pretty evident they aren't ready. A year ago when they were all roughly 17, nobody was blocking their path. They were 17.

Ole did move away from youth but he did play Greenwood and Williams. Credit should be given rather than a disclaimer attached.

When LvG gave youth a chance it was because of injuries. He wasn't giving Tyler Blackett a chance at the expense of a season pro.

Let's see how many chances the young players get under Rangnick in games that actually matter.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I'm not really arguing about the fact he played fringe or young players, or the fact we didn't win. That was fine and understandable. It was a poor choice of lineup with the players he did use, though. I mean even sticking Matic in midfield next to Donny and having Mengi start would have been an easy upgrade on what we did have.

I just found it funny that, despite it being a very poor lineup, it was praised to high heaven and still maintained praise after it being really bad. I prefer to call a spade a spade, rather than be blind to any criticism because the manager is new and shiny.
He's using this game to test out different options in a competitive environment — like can Matić be used as an emergency centre back and can we have an option of a ball-playing midfield three with 2 attacking midfielders as number 8s (a la Manchester City). The goal was clearly not to win the game at all costs. He knows what to expect of Matić in midfield more or less. He had used van de Beek as a pivot to see how he'd cope there (regardless of whenever we will proceed with 4-3-3 or 4-2-2-2 Donny will clearly be competing for one of the deeper spots, so it's a good test of his ability in a very attacking set up).

Gordon Godot

He's using this game to test out different options in a competitive environment — like can Matić be used as an emergency centre back and can we have an option of a ball-playing midfield three with 2 attacking midfielders as number 8s (a la Manchester City). The goal was clearly not to win the game at all costs. He knows what to expect of Matić in midfield more or less. He had used van de Beek as a pivot to see how he'd cope there (regardless of whenever we will proceed with 4-3-3 or 4-2-2-2 Donny will clearly be competing for one of the deeper spots, so it's a good test of his ability in a very attacking set up).
SO many straw man arguments being deployed here, what is the constant need to criticise. Agree fully that manager was trying things out, perhaps wanted 2 experienced heads at centre back given the overall youth of the team. Overall team and Mata was good for 30ish minutes and degrees of poor after that. Why do we need some massive inquisition?

doomy20

Anyone analyzing yesterday game seriously or trying to use it to criticize Ralf must have a hard look at themselves in the mirror.
Absolutely no criticism and no need to analyze anything. Just from a watchers perspective, most if those young guys were incredibly bad, no? Especially 2nd half, I mean not just youth/unexperienced bad, I mean shockingly school league bad.

MUFC OK

It's just posters who are still hung up about Ole getting sacked and the criticism he received.
Pretty sad how some cannot let it go. They must have really thought he'd deliver 21, or they were just happy with mediocrity.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
I wish they would make a United team 2 managed by Ole so they can go and watch this dross.
I doubt RR will win any title but he will bring the attitude and knowledge and leadership into the clib we badly missed. And as I said 1 week ago, he will do more for our youngsters than Ole in 3 years

klsv

I wasnt impressed.

That was like a charity match last night and I'm baffled as to why he chose to play so many of the youngsters and Mata.

It is the 9th of December today. Between now and the 3rd of January we will have six league matches which are all pretty much must wins for us, plus a cup game against Villa soon after that, 7 matches in a space of one month, all more important than Young Boys. This was a game with nothing in it, as we had already won the group. We need to rest the players, it wasn't about giving Mata game time. How do some not get that?

lloyd2wayne

I'm not really arguing about the fact he played fringe or young players, or the fact we didn't win. That was fine and understandable. It was a poor choice of lineup with the players he did use, though. I mean even sticking Matic in midfield next to Donny and having Mengi start would have been an easy upgrade on what we did have.

I just found it funny that, despite it being a very poor lineup, it was praised to high heaven and still maintained praise after it being really bad. I prefer to call a spade a spade, rather than be blind to any criticism because the manager is new and shiny.
Go find something to moan about. Always moaning for the heck of it. Really? You are invested in a dead rubber where our new coach tried to access his squad. Ole FC will never die I guess.

pascell

After last night it's pretty evident they aren't ready. A year ago when they were all roughly 17, nobody was blocking their path. They were 17.

Ole did move away from youth but he did play Greenwood and Williams. Credit should be given rather than a disclaimer attached.

When LvG gave youth a chance it was because of injuries. He wasn't giving Tyler Blackett a chance at the expense of a season pro.

Let's see how many chances the young players get under Rangnick in games that actually matter.
Last summer they weren't 17, Amad was 19, Elanga 19 and Mejbri 18, it was literally 4 months ago when the summer transfer window shut, so not roughly 17 at all. And we'll have to agree to disagree on the blocked pathway as playing/keeping the likes of Martial, Lingard and Mata for me are blocking the pathway of those players.

Greenwood was always going to make it at United, Williams' I'll give him as Shaw was always injured.

The only player recently who has been played at the expense of a season pro is McTominay, instead of Matic.

It's up to those players and their application and attitude in training.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
It's pretty interesting to see people not understanding that it was a dead rubber game which was a huge opportunity to tick loads of boxes: Rest players (we played 3 matches in 8 days we're about to play another 3 matches in 8 days), take a look at the fringe players and get them more match fitness, and allow a full days training to the first XI players which is so important.

Then of course if the point needs drilling home, which it probably isn't, it lays bare our need for midfield reinforcement with the transfer window around the corner.

pascell

100%.

Van Gaal was the last manager to truly give youth a chance albeit even that was through injury, but he did reduce the squad size so that young players would be next in line. It's actually crazy that Rashford only got his chance because Will Keane got injured days before.

Ole actually increased the size of an already bloated squad and didn't give extended opportunities to anyone. It was obvious even during Mourinho's tenure that Mason was special and was a year or so away. Ole was far worse than even Jose in terms of loyalty to his favourites - It was just ridiculous in the end the form he was playing those guys through.
The bolded part is spot on and absolutely farcical.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter about the age of the player, if they're good enough then they'll play, but having players like Mata, Martial and Lingard around is blocking pathways for the youngsters.

Redfrog

You must be a young lad or have poor memory. Fergie has had some pretty humiliating defeats too.

6-1 to City,
6-3 to Soton,
5-0 to Newcastle, Chelsea,
1-4 to Scousers,
3-0 to York,

Just to name a few.
The 6-1 against City was less embarrassing then the last time we played against them to be fair. Last time we were humiliated. The 6-1 is a freak result after going a goal and a man down then scoring and going all attacking to equalize. It has nothing to do with the humiliation we had when we lost against them 2-0.
The manner matters you know.

By the way, Fergie was here 26 years, so there is a little room for a few defeats by a big margin…
With Ole, at the end, it was week after week…

Godfather

I wasnt impressed.

Really you were "baffled" by the decision to treat a dead rubber game in a very busy period as exactly that?

Redfrog

You're reaching here. Results like this happened, even under Fergie in a regular season.
Bad results always happen. The difference between the likes of Fergie, Pep and the rest is that it’s much less frequent . You will always find results like this for Fergie but they are spread in a 26 years career with us not in a season or in 3 years. That’s what matters.

It’s easy to find a bad result and say , yeah but it happened to Fergie. Right, but Fergie was winning trophies, which didn’t happen to Ole unfortunately…

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
It's strange to see people complaining about players being rested for a dead rubber when others have been complaining for years that players weren't being rested enough and run into the ground e.g. Bruno and Rashford.

Marwood

Last summer they weren't 17, Amad was 19, Elanga 19 and Mejbri 18, it was literally 4 months ago when the summer transfer window shut, so not roughly 17 at all. And we'll have to agree to disagree on the blocked pathway as playing/keeping the likes of Martial, Lingard and Mata for me are blocking the pathway of those players.

Greenwood was always going to make it at United, Williams' I'll give him as Shaw was always injured.

The only player recently who has been played at the expense of a season pro is McTominay, instead of Matic.

It's up to those players and their application and attitude in training.
Yeah sorry I didn't think you meant the pathway was blocked just this summer, I thought you meant throughout Ole's tenure.

But even so they're still too young to be talked about as being blocked. I don't agree with keeping hold of Lingard, Mata and Martial but they've barely played and the young players still haven't had a sniff lately.

Let's see. If we let Martial and Lingard go in January I still don't think the younger lads will see any proper game time under Rangnick. The odd sub appearance maybe.

These guys are so young, way too much is expected of them and whoever our manager is for them to feature and perform.

jeff_goldblum

An important part of bringing through youth successfully is creating opportunities to get them on the pitch in a less pressured environment (i.e - winning/controlling games comfortably so we can make subs earlier, winning your early Champions League/Europa League group games to create a dead rubber fixture at the end, doing well in the league and the FA Cup to take pressure off the League Cup) and using them intelligently across the rest of the season.

Our sporadic/poor form under Ole left us chasing every point and he reacted by trying to put his best team out in every game, which backfired in terms of both results and player development, exhausting our key players, making others complacent and stopping our fringe players from getting gametime. We haven't been creating those opportunities for youth players to get minutes in lower pressure games because we haven't been performing well enough in our higher pressure games, and we also haven't been using the squad intelligently to allow fringe players to contribute in more important games.

Hopefully that's something that'll change under Rangnick, both because as an interim manager he's under less pressure himself and because fingers crossed we'll not be scrapping for a result for 90 minutes in most games.

The_Midfielder

Stop this Ole bashing guys..
He is no more our coach.. why do we have to drag him for every conversation
The 6-1 against City was less embarrassing then the last time we played against them to be fair. Last time we were humiliated. The 6-1 is a freak result after going a goal and a man down then scoring and going all attacking to equalize. It has nothing to do with the humiliation we had when we lost against them 2-0.

By the way, Fergie was here 26 years, so there is a little room for a few defeats by a big margin…

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
It is the 9th of December today. Between now and the 3rd of January we will have six league matches which are all pretty much must wins for us, plus a cup game against Villa soon after that, 7 matches in a space of one month, all more important than Young Boys. This was a game with nothing in it, as we had already won the group. We need to rest the players, it wasn't about giving Mata game time. How do some not get that?
Also, something else really important that the contrarians seem to not be able to grasp, is that resting all those players will give them extra time on the training ground, which will obviously be imperative to improving us in the long run. Our time on the training ground is at a minimum now, anything you can do to extend that should be welcomed. This match allowed that to happen. I don't get the "not impressed" shite.

This match was an irrelevance. It was just a great excuse to give the first-teamers a rest and more time on the training ground. That can only be a positive, surely.

Sviken

No mitigating circumstances there at all of course.
I'm sorry, but if you think a red card should make us get dominated by Young Boys (no pun intended), then I don't know what to tell you. Earlier in the season Chelsea managed to go toe to toe with 10 men against fecking Liverpool and we can't do it against Young Boys with our starting eleven... Okay.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
And obviously, with these constant games, it lets him have a couple of proper training sessions with the first team for a couple of days, as they don't have to recover, which otherwise aren't possible at all. It's really not rocket science why it would be a good idea :lol:

Last edited:

youngrell

Wooosh, I’ve rattled some cages in here today, never had so many replies.

Let me be clear, for those making accusations about my intent, I am not upset that Ole got sacked, quite the opposite, I think he should have been sacked sooner (immediately after Liverpool at the latest) and in no way harbour any hostility towards the new manager, I’m excited to see how he does.

However, that doesn’t mean he should be immune to any criticism. I realise that this is not a game to judge him on too harshly, but there’s no need for over the top praise for what was quite frankly unimpressive either.

We are led to believe Ralf is a tactical genius, I just didn’t see anything of the sort last night so thought it was funny to see such praise and excitement.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.

Many of those humiliating loses were also early in his tenure. The point is that the hyperbola here is mind boggling.
I like Rangnick too. But people here are seeing way too much in his actions considering that it's just based on two matches comparing it against someone who had three years of evidence.

I never expected ole to be some superstar manager. I had HOPED considering that he was one of our own.
He failed but let's not exaggerate his failures. He ultimately left united a better place than when he first found it.
We just need to go back to the Jose Sacked threads to refresh our memories. It was a real wasteland then.

Redfrog

Stop this Ole bashing guys..
He is no more our coach.. why do we have to drag him for every conversation
What bashing ? I was just explaining my view, sorry to hurt your feelings.
Don’t you think we get humiliated against City last time ?

I was Ole in for a long long time but he overstayed and lost a bit of my respect for that if you want my opinion.

Withnail

I'm sorry, but if you think a red card should make us get dominated by Young Boys (no pun intended), then I don't know what to tell you. Earlier in the season Chelsea managed to go toe to toe with 10 men against fecking Liverpool and we can't do it against Young Boys with our starting eleven... Okay.
Red cards change games and the 10 men usually lose.

One good Chelsea performance doesn't change that

What any of that has to do with a disjointed reserve team performance in a dead rubber is a bit beyond me.

Redfrog

Many of those humiliating loses were also early in his tenure. The point is that the hyperbola here is mind boggling.
I like Rangnick too. But people here are seeing way too much in his actions considering that it's just based on two matches comparing it against someone who had three years of evidence.

I never expected ole to be some superstar manager. I had HOPED considering that he was one of our own.
He failed but let's not exaggerate his failures. He ultimately left united a better place than when he first found it.
We just need to go back to the Jose Sacked threads to refresh our memories. It was a real wasteland then.
I was born in 86 so can’t remember…but we were in shambles at the time.

I still didn’t say anything about Rangnick. I hope it will work but it’s still early and he didn’t have a great managerial career TBH.

I found just ridiculous to pick some bad results from Fergie time to make a point when it’s not comparable. He had bad defeats yes but won us 13 league titles and 2 CL. Why just compare with his defeats and not his trophy haul ?

Last edited:

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
I was born in 86 so can’t remember…but we were in shambles at the time.

I still didn’t say anything about Rangnick. I hope it will work but it’s still early and he didn’t have a great managerial career TBH.

I found just ridiculous to pick some bad results from Fergie time to make a point when it’s not comparable. He had bad defeats yes but won us 13 league titles and 2 CL. Why just compare with his defeats and not his trophy hole ?
I remember Big Ron as our manager... Vaguely. Getting sacked for bonking someone's missus I think.
So it's easier for folks like me to put things in perspective.

Ronaldo's ego

Incorrectly predicted the 2020 US Election
I'm better than Messi (even though I'm not)
Last night was a great opportunity to experiment and that’s exactly what he did. He would’ve learned a lot about who’s finished, who won’t make the cut and also get a look at fringe players that may be ready to challenge for first team. He’s been here a week for Gods’ sake and look at the players that started and ended up on the pitch, there really is no reason to be moaning.

romufc

I really don't get it when fans look at games in isolation, without context.

Manutd have played games v Watford, Villareal, Chelsea, Arsenal, Palace in the last 2 weeks.

Players like Fred have been rumoured to have been having knocks. Add to that mental fatigue of Ole sacked, Carrick then Rangnick. People forget that players are humans too.

The game yesterday was a dead rubber, why would you risk injuries to key first team players considering we play every 3 days now.

Status
Not open for further replies.