g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Banat

First game against Crystal Palace, we looked drilled in the first half, pressing all over the pitch, playing some direct, positive football. I really thought forward is the only way, and we will only look better when his tactics gel.
Instead, we reverted to our zombie passing shite football with today's horror show, like the icing on the cake.
Can someone explain to me why did we stop pressing teams after that Crystal Palace game? And how we managed to press them so well in his first game, after one training session?

Reactions: Cheimoon

OneUnited24

What I don’t get is how come we looked a completely different team in his first game against palace where we were well drilled, pressing like mad men and constantly winning the ball back in the oppo half. Now a few games in we’ve reverted back to old ways of looking absolutely clueless and the pressing is non existent, bizarre to say the least.
Could be a host of things. However, my monies on the COVID disruption. Sure we dont know how many players were affected and the extent of their syptoms but it seems odd that after that Norwich game, in which we were awful, we effectively shut down operations. Its not good signs but at least we weren't beat. Also i saw some patterns of play but the players just seemed to make poor decisions after poor decisions.

My biggest issue is how little threat we have in that final third. Even under Ole when we were playing bad i still felt we had a goal in us. Never thought that today

slored1

He should play the kids and bench the sulkers.
Yeah Ronaldo, Varane and Sancho come here and all are suddenly shit? Lets play Elanga and Charlie Savage who did not impress against Young Boys. Maybe it's the ridiculous system that's not working if everyone bar De Gea looks terrible.

Crashoutcassius

The negative comments are something else. Did you guys seriously expect a title challenging , high pressing high metal game today ? Seriously?

No matter whom we employ, we will start calling for their head from the second day.
i think people thought we wouldn't look much worse than newcastle.

rr hasn't had much time to prepare, 45 mins before the first game where fans swear they saw his coaching come through. I think fans, myself included, were excited to see what the new methods could yield with a lot of prep time (albeit interrupted). And it was the worst performance of the season against the second worst side. so people are disappointed

Telsim

The only thing I'd pin on Rangnick is his insistence on playing Ronaldo - Bruno - Rashford together + McFred. Terrible, the lot of them. I hope he has learned his lesson today. But the rest is on the players. There was one good player and that's the goalkeeper. Everyone else was mediocre to downright dreadful.

Be fair, take it easy on Rangnick. He has been here a month and probably trained half of it, if that. The state of the squad he inherited is atrocious. It takes months to build something. Judge him in the summer, not now.

Reactions: oates

AshRK

Today was shocking and he has to make some big decisions now. If he still persists with Mctominay fred he will suffer.

crossy1686

career ending
Nailed on, as always. It's almost like he hasn't been watching the games and doesn't even watch the games back. The team he had out, Ole could have picked, which is worrying for me.
Well the real worry is that Ole was doing a good job with the players he had, and maybe he had no other options, but so many were sure the problem was him. Maybe it wasn’t?

AndySmith1990

The players are already throwing ragnick under the bus.
We could hire Klopp or Pep and we'd see no immediate difference. Some of our players are wankers I'm sorry to say. The culture is all wrong, too much ego, laziness and poor attitude. No doubt Solskjaer got around this by simply being the nice guy and pandering to them all.

evil_geko

He could be here 10 years. He ain't getting this squad anywhere near the top. He needs 8-9 first team players.
He doesn't need to get to the top, he is interim, just has to improve on Ole until the end of season, which wont be hard.

united for life

In all seriousness, I have no issue with an interim manager trying to lay the foundations to a style of play that another coach will ultimately take over in the summer, with a bunch of players that have been told to “puff out their chest and play for the shirt” for 3 solid years.

I do have a slight issue with a bunch of coaches coming in from the MLS however…
is he really laying a foundation? Ten Hag and Pochettino, the two favorites to take over, do not play this formation.

RUCK4444

What I don’t get is how come we looked a completely different team in his first game against palace where we were well drilled, pressing like mad men and constantly winning the ball back in the oppo half. Now a few games in we’ve reverted back to old ways of looking absolutely clueless and the pressing is non existent, bizarre to say the least.
Palace play out from the back under Veira, they played into our hands and we managed to steal the ball high up the pitch as a result.

We have been nothing short of diabolical since.

crossy1686

career ending
The negative comments are something else. Did you guys seriously expect a title challenging , high pressing high metal game today ? Seriously?

No matter whom we employ, we will start calling for their head from the second day.
Well it took Klopp something like 3 seasons and over 6 transfer windows but we’ve had 3 games here, we’ve waited long enough goddammit!

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I simply can't get my head around why we went so long after we equalized. Just keep up the same short passing tempo. Why start lumping it ?

Eddy_JukeZ

Well the real worry is that Ole was doing a good job with the players he had, and maybe he had no other options, but so many were sure the problem was him. Maybe it wasn’t?
:lol:

Our last 2 games under RR have been terrible, but it's just 2 games compared to almost half a season's worth of embarrassing performances under Ole.

The idea that Ole was doing a good job is farcical.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Maybe he does today, but we hired Rangnick to transform the team and the structure to something that would suit a Ten Hag in the future. It ain’t going to be pretty to get there however, people need to buckle up and show some resolve for a season or two.
They don't have the same style, Ten Hag is more of a Pep style. He isn't setting anything if things stay like this.

His insistence on playing this formation and sticking to the same players no matter what is going to transform us into a Europa League team.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I mean… I don’t disagree but who would you play there then?
I would play a 4-3-3. I may keep one of them with maybe Fred or McT (not both) along with Matic and VdB. I'd play Bruno on the left wing and Sancho on the right and CR7 up front. Bruno is NOT a midfielder. The guy gives the ball away in bad areas way too much. Get him on the left wing and I guarantee his goals and assists will go up and our midfield won't be under as much pressure as it is with him in there...

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I at least expected some efficient pressing. Have seen feck all so far.
Yes, it wasnt consistent but I did see something Quick one touch pressing and the forwards making the run. The problem is, Fred was horrible that he couldn't find the first pass and he delayed it or misplaced it. You need a proper CM who can actually pass it first time because we are basically pulling the opposition players to one side by quick one touch and then play a direct crossball to wings or forwards.

See how the goal came for us. Cavani should have scored 3 goals today. All came from similar style of play.

United492

The midfield aren't good enough, this is clear and has been for some time, however, their deficiencies aren't as terrifyingly bad as people make out, they're just exacerbated by the inept players we have in front of and behind them. They get absolutely zero help. No movement at all from the front 4 (and it's been that way for a long time). The defence doesn't inspire anyone..... As I say, they're not great, but they're not the whole issue.

Reactions: oates

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Ole was never the sole problem, but he's a big part of it. The players he brought are awful and will need selling. Honestly, we wasted a lot of money and 3 years for nothing.

saivet

We've played two of the worst teams in the league. Scraping a 1-0 win and just about securing a draw is worthy of criticism regardless of how new he is.

Sayros

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
No manager should be judged in mid-season with a squad they had nothing to do with. I think this whole appointment for him to then step aside is one of the weirdest idea I've seen in some time and I'm not sure how well that will work, but the man is going to need time and changes to be able to play his style of football.

evil_geko

Finishing first then?

Or do we just accept a new manager improving on where we happened to be in the league when the outgoing manager was sacked?
Interim, he is not "new manager", we are getting new manager after this season. That is why all the doomer posts in this thread are a joke. Let alone judging him after several weeks only.

Polar

Last ten (against Newcastle) was chaos. We played and ran back and forth like a championship team. Wasn’t much class or control. Why didn’t we calm down instead of jazzing things up and be part of Newcastle’s hit and run effort kind of play. Our players ran like headless chicken, resulting in giga space for Newcastle counter play.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Well it took Klopp something like 3 seasons and over 6 transfer windows but we’ve had 3 games here, we’ve waited long enough goddammit!
You don't need 3 seasons but feck, give him atleast until Feb given that we just had a Covid break through.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I think by the looks of things he's put some good focus on the central midfielders, particularly trying to make their passing more progressive, and De Gea is still playing well, but I don't see any clear idea of how we're supposed to be playing out there from anyone else in the team. Pass sideways a few times very slowly and sloppily, get pushed back to the centre halves, hoof it long.

This direct German style of football only seems to work when you play with tempo and yet everyone is strolling around, moving both themselves and the ball at a snail's pace, and what's more nobody seems particularly worried about it. Surely the plan cannot be to play with a glacial tempo and rely on Maguire to turn into Paul Scholes with the ball? If it is the plan then Rangnick is appalling tactically, and if it isn't then what are we going to do about it? It seems to be getting worse rather than better.

the_cliff

I totally agree, hopefully today was an eye opener. We’re in that awful patch where a new manager has to give everyone a “second chance” even though most don’t deserve it.

That combo hasn’t worked for Portugal either, and they’re sick of it
I've mentioned before how Portugal never start the both of them in big games. Only when they're playing weaker teams. We desperately need to get a Haidara type midfielder and go 4-3-3. Drop either one of Ronaldo and Bruno when the other is playing.

Woodenlung

One thing that stands out to me as an issue is the positioning of our fullbacks. I saw Dalot and Telles tucked in an awful lot tonight and the two no 10's playing in the wider areas. Surely that should be the other way around?

Also there's an issue with Bruno. He has struggled this season under Solksjaer and now Rangnick. In this instance he looks genuinely hesistant over what it is he's supposed to be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.