Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
This consultant thing i don't understand tbh. Will our dof and future manager listen to him?
I would rather that he took Dof job instead being our Tom Hagen.

And why he gave up from being a manager?
We really don’t know what will happen. He might have Joel’s ear by the end of the season and call the shots. Maybe he’ll tell him that success isn’t necessarily buying the most expensive players etc. He seems very good at conveying simple things about football and by all accounts he produces results. So we will just have wait and see — it’s definitely a very exciting appointment.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Talk me through how any manager coming in and wanting to press high up the pitch is going to be happy with De Gea in goal. I totally understand & appreciate he doesn't want the goalkeeper to be spending a lot of time with the ball at his feet but equally the goalkeeper needs to be comfortable sitting high up the pitch in a pressing team, which we have seen DDG is not. So you will end up with a high press and a massive 40 yard gap to the goalkeeper which will cause massive issues. The defenders cannot ever be a part of the press if the goalkeeper doesn't move beyond his penalty spot because it is so easy to play around them and into space. You also need an offensive goalkeeper for balls into the box as part of a high pressing team because you're likely to have less players in the box and therefore need a dominant goalkeeper, rather than a goal line goalkeeper. Do any of you think a Klopp team or a Nagelsmann team plays a goalkeeper like DDG?

There is a massive difference between having a goalkeeper heavily involved in the play to having a goalkeeper that compliments the high pressing of his teammates and backs up his defenders when are part of the press.

So yeah, long story short, I read exactly what he said and stand by my original post - DDG is fecked.
He literally talks you through it himself :lol: there's stubborn, then there's taking the literal words out of his mouth to try and twist them to align with your opinion.

The Oracle

Forget the record. I'm just happy we will go into these big games with balls and willing to trade blows with the top teams. There will be growing pains but cant put a price on aggressive attacking football.
Well said. A bit of steel about us - which has been non-existent for a long time.

BorisManUtd

Well we tried British, Dutch, Portuguese ex PL champion and legend/ex-player. Time for a German at United.

Amir

Is he bringing in own coaching staff or will he keep Carrick and mckenna?? Be nice if he bought staff in that knows his work on the training ground and coaching.
He hasn't been coaching for a while so he probably wouldn't have some ready-made full coaching staff to bring in.

ti vu

Finally a sensible move with manager appointment at long last

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Do you think he gets to spend in January?
This is an interesting question.

Given he will be staying on at the club beyond this season and will presumably have some say in who gets hired as permanent manager, there's arguably more scope for us to make purchases we can be confident will benefit the next manager.

VivaRonaldo85

Doing some research, he appears a real coach, that is one who will adopt a strict system. He’ll demand pressing and fitness. Just what our players are crying out for after a couple of years of nothing in this regards. The two year consultancy is interesting to create a philosophy again at this club (my inner LVG).

SamVimes

I know absolutely nothing about him. Has he not managed since 2019?
He basically set up the structures in both RB Clubs. He was due to take over in AC Milan in 2020, but they decided to keep on Stefano Pioli as he was doing a good job.

ti vu

He hasn't been coaching for a while so he probably wouldn't have some ready-made full coaching staff to bring in.
I don't think this is the case. The range of his job (above the coaching level) would mean he has contact of countless coaching staffs, and always on the look out of available ones, so if required, he can recruit. Will he recruit anh is a different story though. I am afraid the boss at the club don't want to dismiss someone like Mike Phelan who they just freshly renewed. Also the cost of sacking Ole after renewing his contract.

JB7

He literally talks you through it himself :lol: there's stubborn, then there's taking the literal words out of his mouth to try and twist them to align with your opinion.
No, he doesn't. He says the goalkeeper should see less of the ball at his feet than the rest of the players. Which is sensible. He does not explain how a goal-line goalkeeper fits in with a high pressing team, because it just doesn't, that's not my opinion that is a fact - look at any high pressing team in the world.

AltiUn

To anyone who really knows this guy and his philosophy. Which players do you think he will like and dislike?
If I were a betting man I'd guess he'd like Fred, Fernandes and Rashford.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Hopefully he'll mold what we have.
We have a lot of great academy players and a lot of players whom are at the end of their careers at United — it’s going to be very interesting. I, for one, can see the glazers liking him very much despite him being autocratic.

Sir Alex was very autocratic but he produced results and if Ragnick can do the same then I can see something good happening here.

shabin_d_great

This consultant thing i don't understand tbh. Will our dof and future manager listen to him?

Think we are paying him huge. Instead of paying him now, we are spreading it over 2-3 years, and calling it a consultant role.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
The only reason I can see Ten Hag being more realistic now is that he views himself more as a Coach than a manager.

Ten Hag can do the coaching but might need that other bit of help when he is here - might be why rangnick was bought in.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Funny fact, Ralf actually is a qualified P E teacher (Uni of Sussex) ! :lol:

We may need to be ready to hear Ole's old banter tag stick around for a while yet.

Last edited:

Hoof the ball

In what way? Tactically I'd say they're very similar, especially in terms of their pressing. Much more so than Ten Haag, who prefers a more possession-based approach
But then Tuchel is a student of Rangnick's and Chelsea's football involves a lot of possession identity and at the same time pressing. I don't think it's either one thing or the other to the extreme degree.

Pochettino, according to Spurs fans, haven't played that high press/high line since the first couple of seasons, and even since he hasn't played with it with PSG. By contrast, Ten Hag has only ever employed the high press/high line. So who is more Rangnick in practicality? Ten Hag. It might not be pure Rangnick, but it's presently more Rangnick than Poch's latter Spurs/present PSG.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
@Adnan

Are we getting Marsch or Seoane? :D
It's gonna be interesting to see how things develop mate. But what's good to see is that Murtough was the one who was pushing for this according to various media outlets, and hopefully this signals the power shift from the manager model to the recruitment department, which is what strong foundations are built upon.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Adi Hutter join us.

Mcking

No one is talking about him talking about defenders getting tight and not necessarily having to be fast.

HailtotheKing

Can not believe we actually did this. Always wanted it but felt there was absolutely no chance with the power control at Old Trafford. Really suggests Murtough knows what he's doing and is being given the power. Can't wait to see what he can do with this club - both on and off the pitch. Finally an end to the United Way bollocks and all the ex-players ruling our club in the media. And dare I say it, Sir Alex. United is dead, long live the new United. Feck yeah!

cyberman

Is he going to unearth gems? No more super transfers for a while. I’d be happy with that.
Or he can work with ready made players who are perfect for his system? We aren’t a small club, we can spend money and it should be used to our advantage

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Tom Hagen is at Ajax at the moment mate I think we’re looking for him in the summer

AltiUn

The only reason I can see Ten Hag being more realistic now is that he views himself more as a Coach than a manager.

Ten Hag can do the coaching but might need that other bit of help when he is here - might be why rangnick was bought in.
I've got a feeling Poch is inevitable at this point, his style aligns a lot more with Rangnick's than Ten Hag's. But to be fair, if we've signed Rangnick with the view in mind that his style will transition easily to Poch's then that's genuinely good planning, even if he wouldn't be my personal choice.

pascell

I think players like Shaw, VdB, Fred and Sancho are going to flourish under him.

The likes of Pogba, Martial, Maguire and Wan Bissaka, not so much.

Dazzmondo

Ten Hag side presses like madmen, too. Gegenpressing is also a possession type of football. Liverpool have one of the highest possesssion stats in the league, I believe second only to City. So let's not pretend it's basically long balls once you retrieve the ball. In fact, Guardiola's football is much more direct these days than it was during his Barcelona and even Bayern times when it was mostly just side passing until the oppossition opened space. Now it appears his teams are actively trying to get to the ball in the opponent's box as fast as possible and they achieve that by their relentless pressing once they lose the ball. Ten Hag plays the exact same type of football.

Ragnick now and Ten Hag in the summer would be simply the perfect scenario.
There's some in between and yes Ten Haag's Ajax also does press of course (as does Pep's) but his fundamental philosophy is based around dominating the ball. They don't want to have to press because they want to dominate the entire game. Even though a gegenpressing team can have the majority of possession that doesn't change the fact that they generally (at least in the case of Klopp and Rangnick) tend to prioritise vertical and direct passing. Also, the possession of Liverpool is naturally going to be higher because of how effective they are at winning the ball back combined with how talented their players are. If you were to look at the type of passes Liverpool try versus the type of passes City try, it's obvious that Liverpool still have a more direct approach even if they both have very high possession stats. I didn't say a direct gegenpress approach means that they never make any horizontal passes. They still need to do that occasionally to open up space. Switching the flanks in particular is important and something TAA thrives off. The fact remains that Pochettino's style of play is far more similar to Rangnick's than Ten Haag's is. I like both and think either would be a good appointment btw.

tomaldinho1

Doing some research, he appears a real coach, that is one who will adopt a strict system. He’ll demand pressing and fitness. Just what our players are crying out for after a couple of years of nothing in this regards. The two year consultancy is interesting to create a philosophy again at this club (my inner LVG).
He’s not really a hands on coach but I guess the idea is by hiring him, our structure doesn’t really change (Ole was hands off with great ideas but without a clue how to implement them) so he slots in, the coaching team get coached themselves and then a permanent pressing coach comes in summer.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
It's gonna be interesting to see how things develop mate. But what's good to see is that Murtough was the one who was pushing for this according to various media outlets, and hopefully this signals the power shift from the manager model to the recruitment department, which is what strong foundations are built upon.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing Adi Hutter join us.
I keep forgetting him and I will forget about him every time. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.