Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Telsim

We need DM, CM, CF, LW/RW, CB, in that order. Basically the only positions we have covered are full backs and goalie. Seems fairly close to an overhaul if you ask me.

tbtt

WUM
- What does the tradition in football mean to you?
- If you only celebrate the ashes, nothing to be honest.

(Ralf Rangnick in his Leipzig days)

ti vu

The result is a kick in the teeth, but style wise and how the team play, there is clearly a progress in building a team playing the ball, pressing, mixing thing up (allowing different positions to attack)...

May be a long way until we can have a team with a modern style on same level of the top teams. But at least we're heading into a direction. Positive sign nonetheless.

giggs-beckham

Clueless
In the current situation I’d probably be more inclined to go to him if I was a player who had an issue, as I know he’s going to be there next year. Ralf who knows.

Of course we do know that Lingard won’t be here next year, so that factor may not be quite as relevant to him. However we do know that Ralf said he was free to leave and Murtough overruled it, so he’s gone to the person he had issue with (and is also Ralf’s boss).

A weird quirk in this is Ralf going from saying he can go to less than a week later complaining that he was one attacker short because he was there, and it doesn’t really paint Ralf in too good a light for having an actual plan.
RR never said he wanted these players to leave

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Just to get this back on track… I’m quite worried about Ralf as a manager. I was actually really enthusiastic when he came in, hoping he could spark a transformation in the club, not only on the pitch, but organizationally as well.

‘Here we are, 2 months later. We still don’t look great on the pitch, we failed to strengthen the squad in the window, and Ralf has really fecked up the Martial and the Lingard situations.

I can’t believe I’m saying this so soon, but… Ralf out.
:lol::lol::lol:

Utd7

If Ralf was here at the beginning of the season, wonder where we would be in the league
Assuming he had a full pre season to implement his style? And signings? Think we'd be in much better shape. Wouldn't touch CIty or Liverpool. But think we'd be much more cohesive.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Ah shite you were wumming. Still had a proper good laugh when I thought you were serious so thanks!
Not really. He had some gems in this thread earlier - feel free to check for yourself. Atleast he is consistent in his criticism, albeit bit silly.

lex talionis

We've improved defensively since Ralf took over but we have not yet improved the creation of great chances on goal. That must be addressed if we are to scrape fourth place.

daba

Just to get this back on track… I’m quite worried about Ralf as a manager. I was actually really enthusiastic when he came in, hoping he could spark a transformation in the club, not only on the pitch, but organizationally as well.

‘Here we are, 2 months later. We still don’t look great on the pitch, we failed to strengthen the squad in the window, and Ralf has really fecked up the Martial and the Lingard situations.

I can’t believe I’m saying this so soon, but… Ralf out.

Comments like these amaze me.

Look at the state of our squad following Ole from a tactical and mentality POV. Some might also put lack of quality in there too, but I personally think we have the bones of what should be a very good team.

Then look at other managers including Klopp and Pep, both far far better managers than Ralf, and did they say instant success?

I believe Ralf was brought in because the big wigs have finally realised that the football side of the club is an embarrassment and lacks any sort of clear direction. Ralf is one of the most respected football brains in the world with a clear vision, and a vision which quite frankly was the polar opposite of what Ole had slowly and painfully been instilling on the current squad.

In a weird way I’m also quite glad we’ve not had instant honeymoon period. When we eventually start seeing improvement in performances and tactical development, which I believe we will this season, then we know it’s down to the players learning how Ralf wants to play rather than some short-term boost to impress a new manager or spite an old one. It also de-risks the chances of our board making an impulsive reaction to form and hopefully sticking to the long term strategy of Ralf moving up stairs with a head coach joining that aligns with his philosophy and continues the teams development trajectory.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
That sort of comment always makes me wonder what the question was. Cause on the face of it: yeah, DUH!
Don't we have some kind of duty to correct obvious, blatant falsities? If that is a word? Because these things perpetuate themselves if they stand unchallenged.
I mean, they perpetuate themselves anyway. But it's kind of depressing to me. Obviously I mean in a larger context, not specifically in that of John Murtough's professional honour. I can see self-perpetuating, counter-factual agendas whipping through people's minds, posts and realities in swaths of destruction.
Where were you when the Murtough thread was red hot! So many absolutely uninformed shit takes in there...

Oh, another favorite: 'The Glazers aren't letting the club spend on transfers.' Especially hilarious after the summer United just had.

HailtotheKing

I think we have to look at it high level right now and ignore whether he stays on or not. He's steadied a sinking ship and the media circus that was here a few weeks ago seems to be gone. I still think we're going to have an abysmal March given the fixture list.

Good little test to come now with very physical teams and a lot of pressing against us. Burnley we should beat, they look poor this season and I'm particularly interested to see how we play versus Sotons 4222 and then Brighton's possession game. I hope the upward trend in performances continues but I'm not getting carried away by the Borough performance (not result) because there's a big difference between a mid table Championship team and the PL.
We had 27 shots against West Ham in the league cup earlier on in the season without our strongest line up.
Yeah hopefully these physical teams won’t rough us up leaving us with nothing left to take on our bigger challenges in March. Still have no idea why we didn’t sign Zakaria for 5m. Worst case scenario, we could just sell him on at the end of the season and probably for a big profit. Asking for trouble by not signing anyone.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Rangnick has hired Raphael Honigstein as a media advisor. I’d wondered if he might use Honigstein to put out some hard truths if United’s board try to do him over. It would be a good way to protect his reputation and publicise how things really are. It’s a smart move by Rangnick IMO.

red4ever 79

Rangnick has hired Raphael Honigstein as a media advisor. I’d wondered if he might use Honigstein to put out some hard truths if United’s board try to do him over. It would be a good way to protect his reputation and publicise how things really are. It’s a smart move by Rangnick IMO.
Agree. Will be keeping a diary as we speak.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Agree. Will be keeping a diary as we speak.
It‘s also a decent way of pushing them to give him a real job after the season. He doesn’t have to threaten them, they will know that Honigstein has 5 months + of material. I don’t blame Rangnick because if he does get binned off, they will brief against him to justify it. He’s got the upper hand on press either way now. I think what will happen is that he’ll walk away anyway because they won’t give him all the power he wants. Then you’ll get some stuff coming out from Rangnick, but maybe not all.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Or he has noticed how everytime he opens his mouth he gets in trouble with the tabloids pouncing on every little crack in the surface, and he wants Honigstein to help him with that.
But of course your fan fiction hero worship stories of how Ralf will stick it to the board/the players will take precedent in interpreting anything.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
That's different if you read what I said literally to him wanting him to go.
He did say that the squad was too big. So it's safe to say that he wanted some fringe players to leave. However he might not have had strong feelings about which players actually leave, so maybe the truth is somewhere in between?

SeanyC

BBC reporting we have lost 5 times under him, well that’s just not true…slowly but surely Ralf is doing a decent job, yes lots and lots to do but I see improvements

Santos J

BBC reporting we have lost 5 times under him, well that’s just not true…slowly but surely Ralf is doing a decent job, yes lots and lots to do but I see improvements
They're not, it says it's the 5th time we failed to win. Agree on the other bit though. If only we could finish!

giggs-beckham

Clueless
He did say that the squad was too big. So it's safe to say that he wanted some fringe players to leave. However he might not have had strong feelings about which players actually leave, so maybe the truth is somewhere in between?
The message from him has consistently been that if a player doesn't want to show up train and play etc, there's the door.

phelans shorts

That's different if you read what I said literally to him wanting him to go.
Only you said him wanting him to go. The initial comment was he said Lingard was free to leave, which by all accounts is correct. To then 4 days later say your were an attacker short because Lingard wasn’t available doesn’t make sense, because if Lingard had left (as Ralf said he could) he also wouldn’t be available.

You seem to be arguing a totally made up point.

Laurencio

Indeed. While Boro was an awful result, we should have won that 6-1 or something. It's been a while since we consistently created goalscoring chances, and that is clearly an improvement on what we've seen this season. Hoping to see similar chance creation, but with better finishing, against Burnley tonight.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
The message from him has consistently been that if a player doesn't want to show up train and play etc, there's the door.
True, but I believe he would be happy either with Lingard gone, or with Lingard staying and training and playing well.

Only you said him wanting him to go. The initial comment was he said Lingard was free to leave, which by all accounts is correct. To then 4 days later say your were an attacker short because Lingard wasn’t available doesn’t make sense, because if Lingard had left (as Ralf said he could) he also wouldn’t be available.

You seem to be arguing a totally made up point.
In those 4 days the Greenwood case happened. That's why it does make sense, United lost Greenwood instead of Lingard, so Lingard also missing was one player more than Rangnick expected.

phelans shorts

In those 4 days the Greenwood case happened. That's why it does make sense, United lost Greenwood instead of Lingard, so Lingard also missing was one player more than Rangnick expected.
No it didn’t. Greenwood was Sunday, the Lingard conversation was reported to have happened on Monday, which was never denied by either side. In fact you can very easily find lots of comments from in the Lingard thread about how Ralf was being undermined by “the board” keeping Lingard on Monday.

red4ever 79

No it didn’t. Greenwood was Sunday, the Lingard conversation was reported to have happened on Monday, which was never denied by either side. In fact you can very easily find lots of comments from in the Lingard thread about how Ralf was being undermined by “the board” keeping Lingard on Monday.
This is not being disputed surely? Laurie Whitwell and Samuel Luckhurst both reported that Jessie met with Ralf on the Monday morning, where Ralf informed hi he could go. Ralf has even said in a press conference he could go. The board overruled Ralf. Also Ralf didnt know that Jessie had 2 days off for his cleaning the mind

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
This is not being disputed surely? Laurie Whitwell and Samuel Luckhurst both reported that Jessie met with Ralf on the Monday morning, where Ralf informed hi he could go. Ralf has even said in a press conference he could go. The board overruled Ralf. Also Ralf didnt know that Jessie had 2 days off for his cleaning the mind
I mixed up some events and stand corrected. Didn't want to dispute anything that's well known.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
I remember RR saying Lingard came to him around 10 days ago, this clearly before the Greenwood incident, and explained to him why he changed his mind and wanted to leave. RR understood the reasons and gave Lingard his okay, if he could bring a club that was also willing to meet United's valuation of the player.
After Greenwood and apparently no club ready to pay the fee for Lingard, the board and Rangnick decided to keep Lingard.

Status
Not open for further replies.