Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raw

Ralf has done more in the game than the majority of the players in the team have ever done except cash in a fat undeserved check week in week out. Absolute wasters.
Yet not a word was mentioned about Ole's CV. Funny that.

mav_9me

The same shit will happen next year when we get a new manager, whether it's Poch or ETH or anyone. There will be an obvious initial struggle for a few months, and you'll see tweets like above, players unhappy with training/tactics/motivation whatever it is. At this point it's obvious the players are the next big problem after the Glazers.

MancBorg

Pep’s City isnt the most physical team, yet they dominate every teams in the PL. His players are tactical aware, work their socks off, technically very good. Because of that, the more physical teams cant even come close to them.
Yeah I agree they’re not the most physical team. He came third with a team that had won the league twice in 4 years. There was a period of adaptation and huge investment to get them to the point they dominate games like they do now.

I wasn’t suggesting we need to be the most physical team, simply that (contrary to the suggestions otherwise) the incoming manager would benefit from understanding the pace and physicality of the English game.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Tough job for RR, I do like him but he was never gonna get anything out of some of these egos. Some of the untouchables don't even run, some declare themselves unfit to play.. some downing tools... some need time off to get their heads right...need total clearout of this arrogant dross ...create a new culture at the club.
At the same time at makes it easy to identify the bad apples and kick them out

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He's too concerned with not rocking the boat, or he'd have told quite a few players to feck off already.

Who couldve predicted Lokomotiv Moscow's DoF can't handle managing United? :rolleyes:

He's made so many mistakes along the the way. Fecking around with 4-4-2 mid season, not changing captains, learning Matic cant play 90 minutes the hard way, etc, etc.

We got the right guy for the wrong job and we'll miss out on top 4 because of it.

redshaw

The only slight positive is if he is to stay on as some consultant or advisory DOF is he has seen how bad everything is up close and personal and maybe best to aid the club and new manager.

I'd still like us to get top 4 but really I'm not that bothered as I once was. There's so much to undo to be better off in the future.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It seems to click lots of the time. But never for an impactful period. The same could be said of Ole. But at least we are on the front foot under Ralfs good periods. We look like the clearly better team more often. But that’s never for more than a half hour at a time.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
What can Ralf do, walking into this train wreck for a few months? The club is toxic, from the owners to the players. It's a long term project which requires a genius of Fergie proportions to salvage it over a number of years. Ralf is doing his level best in an impossible situation.
This. I think Rangnick is a good coach and he's set us up pretty well. However, when you manage a squad of bottlers who can't handle the pressure of having to score goals or keep goals out what can you do? I doubt Ralf was telling them that the right thing to do would be let Jack Grealish and Phil Fodden do them like kippers for the first couple of goals.

Squad's a joke. An example of how easy it is to waste hundreds of millions in football. Man Utd since Fergie should be a case study of how not to run a football club. Dearie me, just imagine we'd given Ralf £1 billion to spend half a dozen years ago. The team we'd have now...

el3mel

Think he's an awful coach all honestly. He has good ideas when it comes to how football should be played but it's clear he's not good enough to implement them or teach them to the players.

He might do better in that consultancy role.

DSG

Ole's first season when he joined as interim is more comparable to this situation and no we didn't finish top 4 that season (despite finishing 2nd the season before). Ole was rewarded with the full time job btw.

Even if Rangnick finishes top 4 we shouldn't hire him.
I agree we shouldn’t hire Ralf if he finishes top 4. It’s still the standard he needs to achieve IMHO.

darko

The difference between this match the one earlier in the season against City is this match they played decent in the first half. Sancho had a good chance for a second goal and at the very end of the half Maguire missed a good chance off the corner. The second half was awful.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The difference between this match the one earlier in the season against City is this match they played decent in the first half. Sancho had a good chance for a second goal and at the very end of the half Maguire missed a good chance off the corner. The second half was awful.
It's the usual story though, a decent first half and there were promising signs, then fold in the second. What the hell is wrong. Think it is more likely City upped the gears and we couldn't live with them.

Rake

It's the usual story though, a decent first half and there were promising signs, then fold in the second. What the hell is wrong. Think it is more likely City upped the gears and we couldn't live with them.
I think just showed the glaring technical/fundamentals weaknesses of some of our players. This goes way beyond tactics and is thus way harder to fix. Not to mention the "effort".
Our defenders constantly kept on clearing the ball towards the middle of the penalty area where it is very easy for the opposition's attackers to take advantage. Bad decisions when to tackle, clear, interfere with the trajectory of the ball.
Dubious decision making all around. AWB trying to win a goal kick off Silva in the penalty area springs to mind. Players caught daydreaming and not expecting a pass that is not straight on their foot.
Lack of basic awareness on the pitch. At one point after a corner 3-4 of our players were guarding themselves while AWB (I think) was left to guard 3 City players. Not once did one of our players actually take a look around them to notice that.
I don't know what Bruno was thinking for the second Sancho chance... Instead of passing to him right away, he just kept the ball 2-3 seconds and allowed the defenders to get back.
A few promising attacks fell through because people can't properly control a pass not coming at them at a snail's pace.

Combine all of the above with City playing rather decently and having a bit of luck (deflections, marginal call for the 3rd goal). There was one chance where Mahrez turned Maguire and our captain needed 2-3 meters to make a 180 degree turn. It was laughable.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I never claimed that. If you’re going to cyber stalk me, at least get your facts straight.

By the way, RR’s record:
M18 W8 D8 L2 44.44%
Do me a favor and spare me from future rumblings, please. My time isn't worth it.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20

Ralf has done more in the game than the majority of the players in the team have ever done except cash in a fat undeserved check week in week out. Absolute wasters.
CV :lol:

Marcus

I think Rangnick has done the brave thing and shown what a successful team should look like. Even if the team can't maintain it for the full game. As opposed to cowardly way of playing -counter attack. Yes we are being found out. But better know earlier than later right? Now we know which players can't stand on their own in a proper non-counter attacking team. So get rid.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Its like clockwork. Have a bad game and bad mouth everyone in the press to take attention away from their performance.

mu4c_20le

So did LVG, who's enjoyed 10x more success than him, and actually won us our first trophy post SAF, yet he doesn't get anywhere near the same rapport around here.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Half of our team's biggest accomplishment is Europa League runners up :lol:

darko

[/QUOTE
i don't have any possession stats for the first part of the second half and my memory of it is not too clear but both of City's second-half goals came after the double substitution when Pogba and Elanga came off.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
So did LVG, who's enjoyed 10x more success than him, and actually won us our first trophy post SAF, yet he doesn't get anywhere near the same rapport around here.
We actually know exactly when Rangnick is leaving though, even if he is shit he's not gonna be manager in 3 months anyway. All we got under LvG was articles of unconditional support after every loss against Newcastle and Norwich, his reign of misery looked endless.

L1nk

What on earth does that have to do with anything, it's about the players attitude towards the manager, not ours. Them having the gall to question someone's CV when most have done nothing of note themselves, oh and most who played under Ole who actually has a worse cv than Ralf, I know it hurts to hear that

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I think Rangnick has done the brave thing and shown what a successful team should look like. Even if the team can't maintain it for the full game. As opposed to cowardly way of playing -counter attack. Yes we are being found out. But better know earlier than later right? Now we know which players can't stand on their own in a proper non-counter attacking team. So get rid.
He's in a no-win situation really. Part of his remit was to be a transitional manager who would start to get the squad ready for the next guy by organizing the absolute tactical shambles of the Ole era and introducing some more modern tactics. But he doesn't have the players to really do it, especially in midfield and at the back. Arteta spent the first 18 months of his time in management dealing with the same issue, with players that were even worse and less suited for his tactics. What do you do when you know that the only way for the club to progress is to learn to play with a much more modern set of tactics but you simply don't have the players to do it effectively? Its like the chicken and egg question. You can start playing those tactics but if you're playing a high line and aggressive counter-press with Luiz and Mustafi (or Maguire and Lindelof) or you're trying to play out of the back but that system puts critical passing responsibilities on the likes of Elneny and Bellerin (or MacTominay and Wan Bissaka) at CM and RB then you're fecked. On the other hand, if you just try to scrape results until you can change the players, then you're not really going anywhere or building anything. I think United is better off with Rangnick introducing the new tactics, even if the results suffer a bit in the short term. The next manager will certainly be in a better position.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
Sorry but what has this got to do with Ralf? Chelsea and Arsenal were under Carrick. Pretty damning if the positive results pre-Ralf are being used to build a narrative that Ralf is getting great results.

West Ham? Luckily scored a last second tap-in after looking toothless all game. City? We got schooled comprehensively. Those are the only teams in the European places we've faced under Ralf. If those performances (plus Atletico) are a sign of things to come against the better teams, we're in deep shit.

Guy has won 8 out of 18 games while having the easiest fixture list any manager could ever dream of. And he had us knocked out of the cup at home by a lower league team. That's the cold hard truth.

mu4c_20le

What on earth does that have to do with anything, it's about the players attitude towards the manager, not ours. Them having the gall to question someone's CV when most have done nothing of note themselves, oh and most who played under Ole who actually has a worse cv than Ralf, I know it hurts to hear that
Someone was asking if Rangnick has good relations with the journos becuase they seem very favourable towards him. I dont condone downing tools obviously, but on the other hand, maybe the players thinks he's a Hodgson or something. He talks a great game in the press conferences and I know some of you love that, but pressers are only 5% of a manager's job.

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united
Say what you want about him improving us on the pitch somewhat but the fact of the matter is he's failed to utilize what has been an easy run and when we've played a genuinely world class outfit decided to start Harry Maguire and shipped four goals. Top four is pretty much gone against fecking Arsenal :lol: he's done a fairly bad job even as an interim unless he turns it around swiftly.
Go on then, who should he have started ahead of maguire yesterday ?

Long Time Red

I see some on here are sill trying to defend him but there's no hiding away from the fact that Everton gave City a much tougher game than we did and I bet Palace will do in a week's time.

crossy1686

career ending
I see some on here are sill trying to defend him but there's no hiding away from the fact that Everton gave City a much tougher game than we did and I bet Palace will do in a week's time.
Exactly, so why did the players give up at 3-1? You think that was Ralf's half time team talk? "If they score two more goals, just fecking give up lads, you're all shit anyway"

L1nk

Someone was asking if Rangnick has good relations with the journos becuase they seem very favourable towards him. I dont condone downing tools obviously, but on the other hand, maybe the players thinks he's a Hodgson or something. He talks a great game in the press conferences and I know some of you love that, but pressers are only 5% of a manager's job.
I'm not up on Ralf that much, I like him, but don't think he's the be all and end all, I would rather have him upstairs than as the manager, but he's who we have until the end of the season for better or worse. As players of Manchester United the least they could do is give the guy some respect, these players, and I don't give two shits if Sam Allardyce or Roy Hodgson was managing them, should not have the power to constantly question, bemoan and throw managers under the bus. Who are they to question him when the majority of them have won nothing? Their job is to do the work on the pitch, at least give some effort, and th even doing that that. I can't imagine Ralf is any kind of dictator, they just seem completely unwilling to put in even an ounce of hard work after having an easy ride that we enabled

Status
Not open for further replies.