Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

Very good post. I completely agree. Just my opinion, but I think they were so keen to have Ralf's directing expertise in the summer they were prepared to accept he would, at best, steady the ship and stop the run of losing by 3 or 4 goals every week. He's done that. Anything else would be a bonus.

If someone holds the belief that he was brought in primarily to transform the squad into top 4 and win a trophy then I can see why they might be disappointed with him. I just disagree with that view because I really don't think they expected him to turn us into a good team in less than 6 months.

The next manager will only stand a chance if the club accepts that 90% of the current squad need to be moved on over the next few windows.

Maybe I'm being naive, but I think the club not making a panic appointment to get short term results, might actually be a sign something is finally changing for the better.
If that were the case though wouldn't he have been offered a job as a Director of Football instead of an advisory role where he'll only be consulted 5-6 days a month?

The Glazers entire business model for United revolves around being in the CL so of course he was brought in with the hope he could get the season back on track and qualify for the CL for the 3rd season in a row. Do you really think they'd be willing to not worry about CL football and just write the season and tens of millions of pounds off in some naive hope that Ralf could rebuild the club?

Long Time Red

I do wonder whether Glazer's/Murtough were worried that one of the other candidates might do too well like Ole did and they would be forced to offer them the job on a permanent basis rather than appointing Pochettino or Ten Hag.

Lucien Favre would have made a lot of sense, knows how to get the best of Sancho, has an excellent record at developing young talent and getting the best out of young players but perhaps he would have done too well.

He would have certainly done a lot better than Rangnick.

So they decided on Rangnick who they though would be good enough to scrape top 4 but perhaps not good enough that there would be any clamour to appoint him permanently.

Jezpeza

There is no reason why the likes of Rashford and others couldn’t press properly if they really wanted to. It’s simply down to training and the will to do so.
its down to fitness. You cant build fitness mid season. Yes rashford can press, but not until next season

Longshanks

Or test/ put players in a position of choosing to stay or go ahead of a new manager?
For what purpose? We didn't know who the new manager was going to be when Rangnick was appointed, its still isn't confirmed, I can watch us i tell you who could and couldn't play in a high intensity pressing side I would like think a new manager could watch a few videos and alongside a few training sessions make decisions on who has a future, who hasn't got a future and who may have a future if they pull there socks up.

Ragnicks only brief for this season should of been see what you can get out of this squad for which he has badly failed. There is more than what he has got out of them. Maybe the whole consultancy role has muddied the water or perhaps the godfather on gen gen press actually isn't a very good manager and we really shouldn't of given him a managerial role.

Jezpeza

This is bollocks. He's no different to other managers who have a preferred way of playing. Klopp did the same at Liverpool and finished 7th,as several players weren't cut out for that style. Klopp however had time and money to replace them with players who did fit it. Ralf has not been able to replace anyone, nor will he as he'll soon be gone. The criticism he's received is unfair. Solskjaer is to blame for lazy self entitled culture and the appalling state of the team
a team that finished back to back top 4 for the first time post SAF, made deep runs into cup competitions, and played some of the best football post SAF is not as much a pile of shit as many want to believe.RR is useless imo. Theres no point comparing it to Klopp - he took over a dreadful liverpool team that had been shite for years. This is my point - RR just had to get some results with the players he had and finish top 4. Did we need some changes? Yes. Would we have won the league? No. But to try and prove something he has tried to instil something in the players the next manager may not even want and because of it has tanked the season and we will finish 8th. He couldnt even beat middlesborough, hes a useless cnut

-Supreme-

its down to fitness. You cant build fitness mid season. Yes rashford can press, but not until next season
He shouldn’t be in a professional sport if his fitness can’t handle the press after coming on as a late sub on numerous occasions.

VidaRed

Unimaginative FC
There is no reason why the likes of Rashford and others couldn’t press properly if they really wanted to. It’s simply down to training and the will to do so.
Rashford is the dogs bollocks, he ain't pressing like some nobody. He's a mixture of messi and mbappe rolled into one.

Jezpeza

He shouldn’t be in a professional sport if his fitness can’t handle the press after coming on as a late sub on numerous occasions.
we've seen Bruno running round like a madman trying to press. If you dont have a team of players fit enough to do it its a waste of time anyway because the opposition just pass round the odd guy who does it into the acres of space hes left.

im bored of this whole high press stuff anyway. Its not the sole way of playing football. RR has tanked our season to make a point that we cant do it. He could have just played different football and identified the players not suitable to do it if the next manager even wants to. He is interim after all.

-Supreme-

we've seen Bruno running round like a madman trying to press. If you dont have a team of players fit enough to do it its a waste of time anyway because the opposition just pass round the odd guy who does it into the acres of space hes left.

im bored of this whole high press stuff anyway. Its not the sole way of playing football. RR has tanked our season to make a point that we cant do it. He could have just played different football and identified the players not suitable to do it if the next manager even wants to. He is interim after all.
He’s not putting in the effort, let alone helping the team with coordinated pressing.

And this has nothing to do with his fitness.

Shunty

Supports
Man it’s
He tried a few different things initially and the players were awful at it and threw up a stink so he’s had to go back to what they know and like. It’s not his fault the players can’t adjust and simply don’t want to. Nobody could have turned this bunch of players around it’s awful. Nothing to do with rangnick at all.

edgecutter

The teams a mess. People can keep blaming him all they like but all you have to do is watch us play and see that we have one of the laziest, overpaid manbabies littered throughout the squad. No manager would have come in on an interim basis and solved this mess. In fact I'm glad it's happening because all of us can see who needs shipped out this summer.

Member 101269

For what purpose? We didn't know who the new manager was going to be when Rangnick was appointed, its still isn't confirmed, I can watch us i tell you who could and couldn't play in a high intensity pressing side I would like think a new manager could watch a few videos and alongside a few training sessions make decisions on who has a future, who hasn't got a future and who may have a future if they pull there socks up.

Ragnicks only brief for this season should of been see what you can get out of this squad for which he has badly failed. There is more than what he has got out of them. Maybe the whole consultancy role has muddied the water or perhaps the godfather on gen gen press actually isn't a very good manager and we really shouldn't of given him a managerial role.
Just because you cannot understand doesnt mean it was excluded as an option for those running the club..

Jezpeza

He’s not putting in the effort, let alone helping the team with coordinated pressing.

And this has nothing to do with his fitness.
it doesnt really matter does it? Much as many want to blame the players, He took over a team that had back to back top 4’s and played the worst football i have seen post SAF which says a lot. We will finish 8th. He is turd, end of.

Brophs

The One and Only
The club is a mess, the players are genuinely one of the worst groups of professionals I’ve seen at this sort of level but he’s done a pretty poor job and there was nothing much in his history to suggest he should have gotten the job of United manager. Maybe as DOF, which seems to be where his main skill set lies. But the goodwill he’s getting seems to be based mostly on the fact that he, like a lot of us, has figured out that this group of players needs to ripped apart before they do in another manager, rather than any sort of decent performance on his part.

Jezpeza

The club is a mess, the players are genuinely one of the worst groups of professionals I’ve seen at this sort of level but he’s done a pretty poor job and there was nothing much in his history to suggest he should have gotten the job of United manager. Maybe as DOF, which seems to be where his main skill set lies. But the goodwill he’s getting seems to be based mostly on the fact that he, like a lot of us, has figured out that this group of players needs to ripped apart before they do in another manager, rather than any sort of decent performance on his part.
yeah. He gets goodwill for figuring out 2+2 = 4. Baffling

Castia

Can’t believe some are blaming Ralf…incredible.

I’ve never in my time watching football seen a squad completely down tools like yesterday, they give no fecks it’s never been so obvious.

An interim manager they all know is leaving in a few weeks isn’t getting anything out of this bunch of fecking mediocre, over paid sack of shit squad it doesn’t matter who it is.

-Supreme-

it doesnt really matter does it? Much as many want to blame the players, He took over a team that had back to back top 4’s and played the worst football i have seen post SAF which says a lot. We will finish 8th. He is turd, end of.
Yes it does as you feel Rashford can press if his fitness improves, but that’s clearly not the case with his lack of effort coming on as sub.

Jezpeza

Can’t believe some are blaming Ralf…incredible.

I’ve never in my time watching football seen a squad completely down tools like yesterday, they give no fecks it’s never been so obvious.

An interim manager they all know is leaving in a few weeks isn’t getting anything out of this bunch of fecking mediocre, over paid sack of shit squad it doesn’t matter who it is.
good to see the guy responsible for our long Term planning getting lingard, mata and pogba in the squad every game though

Jezpeza

Yes it does as you feel Rashford can press if his fitness improves, but that’s clearly not the case with his lack of effort coming on as sub.
there have been big issues with form and morale this season. I’m not actually trying to sing rashfords praises - you earn xhundred thousand a week but you arent stoic enough to weather some mean comments about your shit form. Dont read social then media pal, just tell your team what to post and work your bollocks off in training, do extra training.

if a lot of our players have any self respect and career aspirations they will come back early for pre season and Get onto their own personal programs. Remains to be seen. maybe shaw will prefer to hit the kebabs and cocktails in greece like hes earned it and then come back 2 stone overweight.

the players have lots to fix and answer for but i just feel RR has got it very wrong in his spell as interim

mctrials23

He tried a few different things initially and the players were awful at it and threw up a stink so he’s had to go back to what they know and like. It’s not his fault the players can’t adjust and simply don’t want to. Nobody could have turned this bunch of players around it’s awful. Nothing to do with rangnick at all.
Pretty much. I think he realised after about a month that there was nothing he could do to implement a style of football he wanted and just reverted to what the players knew. So now we are playing the same brand of utter shit that Ole cultivated but without the key ingredient; a bunch of players who are happy and working reasonably hard.

United never played "good" football under Ole but we had/have enough talented players to beat most teams, most of the time regardless of actual performance. One of Bruno, Rashford, Martial or Greenwood would do something to dig a result out. If you look at those names, none of them are system players. They are all individuals who primarily want to do something on their own to change a game.

In contrast to those 4 players salvaging games when things were going OK under Ole we now have a useless Rashford, Martial isn't here, Bruno isn't have a good season by his standards and is lacking the runners and Greenwood will never play for the club again.

Its not really rocket science as to why we are having a mess of a time under RR. I bet he can't wait to be shot of this clusterfeck of a team. I still wouldn't be surprised if he leaves at the end of the season.

Maticmaker

If the intention is that Ralf will act as a consultant next year, then all he is doing just now is preparing for his brief, i.e. researching the players, the resources, the management, the organisational structure etc. He can then have a dossier ready to hand over to the new manager with all the necessary information at the new guys finger tips and a plan of action that Ralf can evaluate for the board at regular stages, with adjustments where necessary.

If its anything else... we're in the shi*!

Jezpeza

Of course you can, what a strange take :lol: rashford can press but not until next season? Rashford doesn't press because he can't be bothered, nothing to do with fitness.
Its literally universally known that you cant do hard fitness building pre season and then have the energy to play games without getting serious soft tissue injuries. LVG proved it when he tried double training sessions and half our squad was out injured. Mid season you have to work on your game, prepare for individual matches and at times even have recovery days. You literally dont know what you are talking about you’ve just posted some crap with an emoji

El Jefe

Ole had good man management? How exactly?

And Ole suffered the worst league defeat in this club's history when Liverpool pasted us by 5 at OT and could have scored 7 or 8.

Rangnick has been terrible, but he didn't have 3 years and 400 mil to spend only to end up 10th when he got sacked after numerous embarrassing performances in 1 season.
I thought Ole was out of his depth but in his reign the squad seemed United and he got most of these players playing at their best. I mean the fact that he went on his unbeaten run to begin with showed he got through to the players. Even when he was always on the verge of the sack, he always dug out a win at the right time. The players never stopped playing for him, the team just ran out of ideas under him which is why he was rightly sacked.

Same ole who left us after hammerings v liverpool city watford & Leicester?

lolololol
What does that have to do with anything I've said?

A completely stupid appointment. A major black mark against Murtough.
I dun know man, our players look utterly braindead. That run of results, Young Boys, Villa, Leicester, Liverpool, City & Watford was clearly not a fluke.

We had 17 points from 12 Premier League games when RR took over and were set for a points total in the mid 50's; I seriously doubt anyone was coming in and doing much about it looking at just how terrible our players are at the basics. Conte for sure, but he was never coming as an interim, so which interim was gonna work wonders here TrueRed?

Ace of Spades

I don't care about the results, I am more annoyed that players that are not putting in the effort are the ones being given time still. Just let them rot and work with players that are willing to put in the effort.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
A 2-0 hammering?
Did you see the game?! City were toying with us for the entire game! They took their foot off the pedal 2nd half. If they wanted to, they could've easily scored a few more

TheReligion

Abusive
I shouldn’t be surprised that many can’t see past the short term.

It was always going to be a challenge for RR given when he came in and the fact he has no top coaches, losing McKenna and Carrick immediately and being unable to bring in his team. He had to settle on a few people who were available which has resulted in Fletcher having to help out. Its as cobbled together as it gets.

When you add to that we’ve not had any forwards available since Christmas (bar Ronaldo and a terribly out of form Rashford) it’s looked grim for a while. It’s no wonder we’ve drawn so many games and the fragile squad has lost all its fight.

Rangnick though has still been a positive for me for a few reasons;

1) The club has shown it isn’t being short term again; it’s looking ahead and wanted to get things right.

2) It’s allowed him to fact find ready for the new coach; he can the transition to his advisory role.

3) We have been restructuring in the background and will start the new season from fresh.

I think anyone expecting guaranteed top 4 under the circumstances was naive. It was always going to be a bonus and given the situation and how it’s unfolded I’m not surprised we are struggling.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Missed this yesterday, and some people think it's Ralf's fault.....it's the players, they don't give a feck, they don't give a feck about him or his instructions because he won't be there in the summer and they don't give a feck about the club. If anything I hope ETH gives Ralf the #2 spot.

They downed tools for Jose, Ole and now Ralf......there's some toxic personalities and he (ETH) needs to weed them out.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Missed this yesterday, and some people think it's Ralf's fault.....it's the players, they don't give a feck, they don't give a feck about him or his instructions because he won't be there in the summer and they don't give a feck about the club. If anything I hope ETH gives Ralf the #2 spot.

They downed tools for Jose, Ole and now Ralf......there's some toxic personalities and he (ETH) needs to weed them out.

Well they don't deserve it, but then it begs the question why do we appointed him to coach this bunch of players.

Why not just appointed Carrick instead.

UncleBob

Maybe Ralf needs to do a better job?

Matthew84!

It's hard to judge as he's got the same players that were playing absolutely garbage at the start of the season,
Players who got refused a move are causing problems, 4 or 5 Players are leaving which don't help,
Let's hope him being there helps get rid of all the the shit players being paid to much to not try.

jeepers

Well they don't deserve it, but then it begs the question why do we appointed him to coach this bunch of players.

Why not just appointed Carrick instead.
To access the situation at United and start the "rebuild" next season with the new manager in place. RR has the head start and a front row seat to all the nonsense that goes on behind the scenes that are hidden from our view. Let's hope that he is allowed to do his job, and that they take on his advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.