Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I wonder how much interaction Rangnick has with the players? He was asked about Maguire today and he hadn't even spoken to him about the bomb threat incident. In a previous interview about Pogba and his fasting he didn't have a clue either and he wasn't even aware of who else was fasting in the team. Whenever he's been asked about the players and certain specific issues, he's always given generic answers obviously not having any clue.

I just find it odd and not surprising that the players have not responded to him as we would have expected. If he's been operating in checkout mode for the last 6 months, I'm not surprised the players have either. I've not been impressed by his ambivalence towards the big games this season either.

I'll be so glad when he's gone. He's been so underwhelming and flippant/dismissive about everything. Perhaps that's just his persona.

Maniron

We have gone backwards under his stewardship. Very hard to argue otherwise.

Admittedly, it was a tough ask and there are mitigating circumstances, but overall his influence on the team (as RedPed said), has been underwhelming

Lord Zlatan

He was never here to make this season a success. He has correctly identified the problems in the club and is becoming more and more vocal about the club and even the team as the season end nears. Personally id have him in as director of football with ten hag coaching. Murtagh (even though he brought rangnick in) seems surplus and even more so Fletcher. Club seems to be floundering towards the correct make up.

Matt851

He was never here to make this season a success. He has correctly identified the problems in the club and is becoming more and more vocal about the club and even the team as the season end nears. Personally id have him in as director of football with ten hag coaching. Murtagh (even though he brought rangnick in) seems surplus and even more so Fletcher. Club seems to be floundering towards the correct make up.
We absolutely should have him or another highly qualified candidate as our director of football. However I am not sure him correctly identifying the issues has added much given they are problems which have been quite obvious for some time

F-Red

We have gone backwards under his stewardship. Very hard to argue otherwise.

Admittedly, it was a tough ask and there are mitigating circumstances, but overall his influence on the team (as RedPed said), has been underwhelming
The issues run far deeper than managers, that much should be obvious. Ralf has only said today what many have said for years (including Jose) that the players are the issue.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
I think he was brought in to identify the issues of why we are failing which is something hes good at. It was said before he came in his personality is such that he cant handle high pressure situations which has been proven right. He is a club builder (footballing side of a club) not a manager

Brophs

The One and Only
He gives good press conference.

Seriously, though, a place should be found for him, with genuine influence and reach and he should be allowed to drive the overhaul behind the scenes. I don’t think anyone, since Fergie left, has so clearly and easily skewered all of the main issues at the club without it being part of some sort of mind game or power play.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I see your logic but there are a couple of (fairly big) issues with the idea ralf would begin to implement a playing style like ten hags. One is that ralfs preferred style of football isn't even that similar to ten hags beyond being vaguely progressive. The other is that he abandoned trying to play the type of football he is renowned for after one game because the players couldn't or weren't willing to play like that. For the last few months we have had the sort of football a more pragmatic manager would have played but without any of the defensive solidity
Yes, there styles differ quite strongly but primarily in how the team behaves in possession. What both systems have in common is that they rely on intense pressing as a foundation everything builds on and if Rangnick thinks the players can't donthat, chances are that Ten Hag thinks the same

Rolaholic

Really hope he gets a concrete and permanent position of influence at the club long term. Been a breath of fresh air having him lay things out honestly without sugar-coating a damn thing for PR purposes.

You need realists like that willing to state unpopular/uncomfortable truths behind the scenes in your organization if you want to truly progress and advance.

Feels like we've had too many self centered company men operating with rose tinted glasses coasting off of the clubs history in influential positions rather than ones genuinely trying to help us evolve as a club

Last edited:

Loon

:lol:
It's funny how his "open heart" operation mirrors Ron Atkinson's "major surgery" when he took the hot seat.

He then bought Bryan Robson.

Gazautd18

Starting to let rip now.
He knows the problems and should be involved in helping to resolve them.

Rolaholic

Last edited:

saivet

Interesting comments and have to agree with what he says. What's interesting and provides some hope is he doesn't seem to think some of our issues should be all that difficult to solve in the future.

He says there is no good reason why a rebuild needs to take several years which I think points to the idea that while the squad needs refreshing and will be refreshed due to contracts, that we have enough good players around to be able to make changes that make a big difference.

Does also indicate that he thinks the club has been so horribly mismanaged that it's not rocket science be able to sort a lot of the mess out.

Acquire Me

Rangnick have really lost his patience with the players and how our club been mistreated.

I am glad someone in his position are talking out loud. The worst that can happen is no proper change. The club is rotten from bottom to top.

Loon

He'll be gone in the summer
I dunno. He's kinda positioning himself as the lone voice who speaks the truth and for the club to bin him might look like silencing him. He's already said too much for them to do that.

Unless he walks.

Infestissumam

love the man. Speaking nothing but the truth and I think he'd be a very valuable voice going forward. I just wish he'd actually follow through when it comes to team selection - what does he really have to lose at this point? The players who have let this club down shouldn't be rewarded with even more playing time.

Sanchez7

I dunno. He's kinda positioning himself as the lone voice who speaks the truth and for the club to bin him might look like silencing him. He's already said too much for them to do that.

Unless he walks.
That’s what I am hoping for as well. He has now positioned himself in a way where if the club gets rid of him, fans will start to ask questions

SparkedIntoLife

I'm really unsure as to whether Ralf is speaking from the perspective of someone who knows he's in the inner circle and will really make a difference OR from a weak position where he's almost trying to convince his bosses to listen to him. It appears as though he's been strung along a bit. Some of the lack of communication within the club is incredibly concerning.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.

Unless he walks.
I just can't see there being a big enough role for him where he has any power.

That he still doesn't seem to have an idea what his role will be seems very odd.

MUFC OK

I think these comments are him auditioning for the Deputy DoF or another role moving forwards. It's clear that hasn't been defined yet, but think we would be silly not to use him. He's clearly very good at seeing the bigger picture and has ideas of exactly what needs to change - completely agree that Ten Hag was the best available option.

Maybe we shouldn't be surprised at his apparent lack of proximity to some players, his skills are not best used as a MANAGER and he almost speaks like a board level employee or sporting director. Hope that he's involved, if Ten Hag wants him there of course.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I think these comments are him auditioning for the Deputy DoF or another role moving forwards. It's clear that hasn't been defined yet, but think we would be silly not to use him. He's clearly very good at seeing the bigger picture and has ideas of exactly what needs to change - completely agree that Ten Hag was the best available option.

Maybe we shouldn't be surprised at his apparent lack of proximity to some players, his skills are not best used as a MANAGER and he almost speaks like a board level employee or sporting director. Hope that he's involved, if Ten Hag wants him there of course.
He's definitely angling for the job I think with this quote.

Loon

I just can't see there being a big enough role for him where he has any power.

That he still doesn't seem to have an idea what his role will be seems very odd.
I guess it was the original consultation role, but I assume it will be working in concert with ten Hag now, if ten Hag wishes him to remain.

MUFC OK

He's definitely angling for the job I think with this quote.

Definitely is. He went as far as to say 'it's not about a contract' and highlighted that he's 64 already, he probably is willing to be involved as much or as little as possible and think he would like to play a key part in trying to turn the club around. Think he wants the best for the club despite not having been the best interim manager.

Matt851

Yes, there styles differ quite strongly but primarily in how the team behaves in possession. What both systems have in common is that they rely on intense pressing as a foundation everything builds on and if Rangnick thinks the players can't donthat, chances are that Ten Hag thinks the same
My point was most people could have told the players weren't suited to playing such a style prior to rangnicks arrival so I don't really see the added value offered by rangnick there

hobbers

Just bin Fletcher and give Ralf his job. Then it'll actually be a real job.

AshRK

This has been amazing PC. Hope he stays as a consultant. Need more transparency and he will give that.

The-Natural

Make the hard but correct choice of removing Fletcher from this daft, undeserved job we handed out to him during the doomed "cultural reset" and give a proper role to Rangnick.

Djemba-Djemba

I worry he knows he's off which is why he's being so honest and rightly tearing into the players.

It's cathartic and encouraging having someone at the club who sees what a fecking mess we are and what we need to start to fix things. Having him there to be able to tell ETH straight away who the toxic influences are in the dressing room will be vital.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Honestly love Rangnick. Mostly what I am looking forward to for the rest of the season is Ralf calling out the bluffers in our side.

Jacko21

He says there is no good reason why a rebuild needs to take several years which I think points to the idea that while the squad needs refreshing and will be refreshed due to contracts, that we have enough good players around to be able to make changes that make a big difference.
I guess he’s also taking into account the fact that cash has never been the barrier for United - but rather who that cash has been entrusted to. So put the right people in the right roles and the club can make genuine headway.

Status
Not open for further replies.