Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

wasn't meaning that. I was replying to the other users complaining about not getting top four because of Ralf Rangick. Your are being a complete douchebag.
Incoherent reply that has nothing to do with the quoted post, check.

Condescending reply when that's pointed out, check.

And then a personal insult, check.

And all within 3 posts, well done.

El Jefe

As soon as Ole switched to a more progressive system they turned to shit. Under Mourinho they downed tools quite clearly.

It would be easier to name those who werent shit.
So you have no answer to the question asked then. I made no reference to Jose.

Tavern in the town

As soon as Ole switched to a more progressive system they turned to shit. Under Mourinho they downed tools quite clearly.

It would be easier to name those who werent shit.
It’s become a fashionable phrase to use but no, they didn’t “down tools”. Distinctly remember them saving his job when 2-0 down vs Newcastle when it looked like a certainty he was getting sacked after the game. We hired shit managers and they did a shit job, there’s nothing more to it.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

It is really difficult to tell from outside what is going on. My impression is that Ole's main job was to keep the players happy and let them be "themselves". Combined with a simplified but partially effective idea of how to set up the team, but without a proper vision how to improve us and which players would fit in.

Rangnick on the other hand probably has a concrete idea of the way he wants his teams to play to be competitive and get better, and he maybe is not mister nice guy and tells the players uncomfortable truths, while not having the standing and the fear factor of Mourinho or LvG.
This has now led to a bad situation with overpowered and under-talented players not so much interested in the future of the club, but of their individual career and brand.

Overall a real mess and we can only hope that appointing ETH and keeping Rangnick within the structure with a certain power is the first step in the right direction.

Lyng

It’s become a fashionable phrase to use but no, they didn’t “down tools”. Distinctly remember them saving his job when 2-0 down vs Newcastle when it looked like a certainty he was getting sacked after the game. We hired shit managers and they did a shit job, there’s nothing more to it.
So you believe that this group of players is good enough?

Tavern in the town

So you believe that this group of players is good enough?
Depends what you mean by good enough. We’re not winning the league without significant upgrades, no. But there’s more than enough quality in there for any competent manager to get top 4. We’ve had an absolute disaster of a season and we were still in the hunt up until a couple of weeks ago. Just go back to last summer and if anyone told you the squad wasn’t good enough to make top 4 you’d have been laughed at, but now apparently everyone believes it. Successful job from our shite managers to lower expectations I guess.

HookedOnAPhelan

I'm sure Daniel Farke plays the same system too, should we hire him also?

Comparing ETH to Rangnick makes no sense at all. Like I've said the players have been poor and need to be replaced but Rangnick is feeding the fanbase poison and lies, this group of players is 100% capable of more than they are doing under him.

His reason for the poor performances under his tenure according to him has to do with everyone but him. Funny that.
Well, considering they've been utter shite all season, and way before he even arrived, I'm inclined to believe that.

But none of us really know what's gone on behind the scenes. Maybe Ralf really is completely incompetent and out of his depth as a coach. It's certainly possible. But it's also possible that the negativity, toxicity and mood in our squad made this interim spell near impossible to succeed at, and that nothing is going to get better until there's a massive clearout and a reset - regardless of who the manager is.

mctrials23

I guess the problem is, how can you now make a judgement on which players are not good enough full stop, and which players are good enough but for whatever reason aren’t performing. To me, that differentiation could only have been achieved if RR had managed to motivate the players, and is an absolutely key bit of information that ETH needs.
I think that RR has suggested that a lot of these players are not only weak mentally and physically but they are lacking the technical fundamentals to play the sort of modern football that we seem to be trying to move towards.

Plenty of these players have glaring issues in their game and have done for years. Even under Ole when times were better.

It really confuses me if you say that the plan was never to motivate the team and separate the skilled underperformers from the unskilled ones. Although to be fair I think that the blame for that should be on the board as much as Ralf.
Oh I think they were still hoping for a new manager bounce and top 4 but I think his primary job was to come in and lay the groundwork for a cultural reset at the club. Nothing about RR suggests that he is the right man if the job description was primarily to motivate a team. Hes not charismatic, hasn't managed at the top level in years and doesn't seem to suffer fools.

I think the club have probably been shocked by the feedback from him.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Howson is pals with Rio and had some inside track on things especially with the academy players if Im not mistaken.

Recently he said we looking at a lady for a candidate within analytics and this was before our scouts were sacked. Hes not a journalist but he definitely gets a bit of a tip occasionally.

Goldbridge is 24 hour conspiracy though.
I'm just not a fan of Howson personally.

Goldbridge communicates directly with Romano and has him on his show.

Smithy89

Depends what you mean by good enough. We’re not winning the league without significant upgrades, no. But there’s more than enough quality in there for any competent manager to get top 4. We’ve had an absolute disaster of a season and we were still in the hunt up until a couple of weeks ago. Just go back to last summer and if anyone told you the squad wasn’t good enough to make top 4 you’d have been laughed at, but now apparently everyone believes it. Successful job from our shite managers to lower expectations I guess.
Where is the quality? There is virtually none at the back, zero in midfield and then Ronaldo and Sancho. The quality thing is a myth.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm just not a fan of Howson personally.

Goldbridge communicates directly with Romano and has him on his show.
Romano only uses Goldbridges channel to raise his profile. He doesn't get any inside knowledge from him outside of the show.

Howsen I dislike too but hes got much better links.

Lyng

But getting top 4 is all fine and well, but we would have to play low block, counter football. We know our board are quite happy with top 4. The only way for them to realize we urgently need rebuilding is if we miss top 4.
On top of that Rangnick tried to get our players to play in a progressive style, but they clearly wherent good enough / didnt want to work harder, which is why its clear his job now is to show Ten Hag what kind of players we have and how big of a rebuild is needed.
If Rangnick had no clue we wouldnt keep him on to work with Ten Hag as a consultant.

Is he a elite manager on the highest level? No. But that is also not his main job for us. He is an expert in building up a club from the bottom, which is exactly what we need.

Superden

i cant think of one player in our squad that would be a nailed on starter at any of the top 3.

Berbaclass

Romano only uses Goldbridges channel to raise his profile. He doesn't get any inside knowledge from him outside of the show.

Howsen I dislike too but hes got much better links.
I'm not saying he has better links, who really knows for sure. I'm just saying he's not absolutely clueless IMO.

Tavern in the town

But getting top 4 is all fine and well, but we would have to play low block, counter football. We know our board are quite happy with top 4. The only way for them to realize we urgently need rebuilding is if we miss top 4.
On top of that Rangnick tried to get our players to play in a progressive style, but they clearly wherent good enough / didnt want to work harder, which is why its clear his job now is to show Ten Hag what kind of players we have and how big of a rebuild is needed.
If Rangnick had no clue we wouldnt keep him on to work with Ten Hag as a consultant.

Is he a elite manager on the highest level? No. But that is also not his main job for us. He is an expert in building up a club from the bottom, which is exactly what we need.
Alternative: it’s Rangnick that isn’t good enough. You say he’s “not an elite manager”. It’s not that he’s not an elite manager. It’s that he’s an awful one. He’s the ex Locomotive sporting director who’s managed one top flight season in the last decade. He’s never managed a big club despite a 40 year career. The fact that you’re simply laying the blame at the players by saying they’re not good enough to play his style of football is baffling, when the much more likely explanation is that he’s crap at implementing it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'm not saying he has better links, who really knows for sure. I'm just saying he's not absolutely clueless IMO.
Goldbridge is worse than clueless. He actually drives outright lie narratives to wind up a fanbase and get more followers.

Lyng

Alternative: it’s Rangnick that isn’t good enough. You say he’s “not an elite manager”. It’s not that he’s not an elite manager. It’s that he’s an awful one. He’s the ex Locomotive sporting director who’s managed one top flight season in the last decade. He’s never managed a big club despite a 40 year career. The fact that you’re simply laying the blame at the players by saying they’re not good enough to play his style of football is baffling, when the much more likely explanation is that he’s crap at implementing it.
Schalke was a considered one of the top clubs in Germany when he managed them.

Also the last part of your blurp makes zero sense, given that he is the guy that pretty much invented that style.

Berbaclass

Goldbridge is worse than clueless. He actually drives outright lie narratives to wind up a fanbase and get more followers.
See that I do disagree with. He's a Youtuber so of course he's going to exaggerate certain things. You may not like him but he does get information at times from people that are clued up.

This isn't the Goldbridge thread anyway :lol:

Forevergiggs1

Supports
United
In the future everyone will realise what a important acquisition Ralf turned out to be.
Absolutely. He's probably saved ETHs job by coming in and doing all the dirty work. I can only imagine that if ETH came in instead of Ralf we'd be more or less in the same situation after he had the audacity to make the players actually behave like professional footballers.

Now, thanks to Ralf, the whole world can see what sort of mentality our players have meaning ETH can now come in and instead of being the bad guy can concentrate on putting together a squad to hopefully get us back in the running.

The short sightedness of many on here on Ralfs 6 months as interim seems to go right over their heads. Some not even wanting him to stay as a consultant is mind boggling considering he's proved to be one of the best in modern history at (re) building clubs.

Tavern in the town

In the future everyone will realise what a important acquisition Ralf turned out to be.
feck me. The hero worship he’s getting for rank incompetence is insane. He’s come in, done a shite job then proceeded to call everyone and everything shit. You or I could’ve done the same thing.

crossy1686

career ending

Comparing ETH to Rangnick makes no sense at all. Like I've said the players have been poor and need to be replaced but Rangnick is feeding the fanbase poison and lies, this group of players is 100% capable of more than they are doing under him.

His reason for the poor performances under his tenure according to him has to do with everyone but him. Funny that.
How can the players have been poor and need to be replaced AND Rangnick be telling lies? I generally agree with the notion that Rangnick has failed as an interim but I don't believe for one second his job should be to motivate a bunch of players at the supposed elite level of football. What happened this season wouldn't happen at any other elite club in the world, even if Pardew was in charge. Bayern, Madrid, Barcelona etc all have way more pride in the shirt than any of our players do. The fecking Bayern lads were unhappy with Ancelotti's training methods so you know what they did? Extra training sessions behind his back! Our lads run to their PR teams and get busy pointing fingers.

Ragnick's assessment of the squad has been spot in, in fact, most of the caf has been saying exactly the same thing for years except Solskjaer came out to the media and covered for them.

This group of players are capable of finishing 4th but that's their limit, and that's on their terms only. The way the club is currently run is completely unsustainable and is the reason we go from 2nd to 7th in back to back seasons, unlike any other major club in the world when they have a bad season.

If you want Solskajer back to say it's his fault and paper over the cracks then you've learned nothing over the last year.

Last edited:

crossy1686

career ending
I love this line - "they saved his job against Newcastle". Then he gets sacked the next month...

They didn't save shit, they just knew they couldn't phone it in against one of the shittest teams in the league.

Amarsdd

So, you can't call an actual shit - shit because it might provide nutrition to some plants in the future?
Nobody here criticizing Ralf is criticizing him about what influence he'll have in the future, cause no one knows what this consultancy role is going to look like and well none of us can see the future. Ralf is being criticized for the present, which is the interim managerial stint, which surely you can see has been shit. You can proportion blame between Ralf and the players, but don't start hero worshipping him and saying he's no blame at all.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Okay, let's fire Rangnick and get another interim in for the next 4 games, that'll show we don't accept failure, until Ralf comes back as a consultant next month that is
I will settle for people simply acknowledging that he hasn't done a very good job as manager of Manchester United.
Only an idiot thought Ralf was a first rate coach when we brought him in. Murtough liked Ralf for how he built RB Leipzig - hence why he was signed as an interim manager for 9 months with a much longer, 2 year consultancy role included.
Every report we have about Rangnick being hired suggests this isn't true. It was reported that the club wanted him as interim manager, but that Rangnick was the one who wanted the consultancy role. This was even reported as a difficulty in hiring him, since it was unclear whether the permanent manager would like to work with Rangnick. The consultancy role is still somewhat undefined and as has been said many times in this thread, even Rangnick seemed uncertain of how it would pan out or what it would be.

People are trying to will "club hired an experienced DOF to rebuild us" into being.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I think the club have probably been shocked by the feedback from him.

You would really hope they have been shocked. I think the signings of Ronaldo, Sancho and Varane have really highlighted that problem. Utd started this season with a settled coach, 2nd place in the bag and then had (on paper) one of the best transfer windows in the Prem that summer. Although you obviously don’t want the players to fail, the fact that they have really leaves nowhere to hide

crossy1686

career ending
I will settle for people simply acknowledging that he hasn't done a very good job as manager of Manchester United.

Every report we have about Rangnick being hired suggests this isn't true. It was reported that the club wanted him as interim manager, but that Rangnick was the one who wanted the consultancy role. This was even reported as a difficulty in hiring him, since it was unclear whether the permanent manager would like to work with Rangnick.
He hasn't, that's given but what other elite team accepts a 7th or 8th placed finish if the manager isn't the best in the world? It's on the players.

johanovic

RR as a interim could turn out to be a masterstroke...Why?...because it seems that Ten Haag and RR will be working together and perhaps with Paul Mitchell as well to take the hard decisons needed. That´s not a bad move by Murtough and Arnold. People here are slagging off RR as a failiure but I see him as a man that´s just speaks the plain truth and he´s done the hard estimate needed to help Ten Haag take the next steps. This squad of players is just dreadful and has been so for a long time....how many of the current squad would get into the teams at City, Liverpool,Chelsea,Arsenal and Spurs...the fecking truth is hardly none....we can also look at the fact we have conceded 51 goals this season and that´s more than Palace, Burnley, Villa.

This a a squad full of big time Charlies that lack the drive and professionalism to play for a club like United. That´s because our recruitment process has been a shambles for a long time and despite spending more than every other club for tha last 10 years and paying higher wages than any other club in the PL we are stuck with this playing squad that´s simly just not worth their wages or the price we paid for them.
We have no player that would get close to a PL XI and in fact we hardly have a top 3 to 5 player in any position in the league. Let that sink in and compaire that to our golden period to see how far we have fallen. RR has been here for a short time, he inherited a squad that was lacking and lost some players from that squad while not having one player in during the January transfer window. He´s not to blame for this fiasco but he should be thanked for standing firm against those players and speaking the truth about the task in hand.

OGS method was doomed and this group of players were found wanting again. Do not let those wanting to leave play again this season and give the youngsters a chance to show what they can do. Lingard, Pogba, Jones, Bailly,Mata, Rashford, Matic to name a few have already left the building.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
What happened this season wouldn't happen at any other elite club in the world, even if Pardew was in charge. Bayern, Madrid, Barcelona etc all have way more pride in the shirt than any of our players do.
As a fan of Real Madrid I can tell you confidently that these type of "players are rotten and all need to be chucked in the garbage" narratives are extremely common in our fanbase whenever we don't do well. There is usually some truth to it, but a lot of players are recoverable.

We've had abysmal seasons where nothing works under anyone. We even had a similar situation to this, with an interim manager who also crashed out of all competitions. He was fired in February.

mctrials23

As a fan of Real Madrid I can tell you confidently that these type of "players are rotten and all need to be chucked in the garbage" narratives are extremely common in our fanbase whenever we don't do well. There is usually some truth to it, but a lot of players are recoverable.
Yeah, humans are pack animals and it doesn't take too many leaders to be toxic and spoil the whole bunch. We can see this in society at large in a lot of areas.

Cut out the cancerous elements of the dressing room and replace them with positive ones and I think we might be surprised how much things change.

Keefy18

Issue with your sentiments is this...

These same players are capable of more, true...but they were also capable of more under LVG, Jose and Ole.

To still defend the players is ridiculous at this point.

RR could be doing better but that is a moot point at this stage.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
These same players are capable of more, true...but they were also capable of more under LVG
What do you mean 'these same players'? The lineup for the FA cup final under LVG was De Gea, Valencia, Smalling, Blind, Rojo, Carrick, Rooney, Mata, Fellaini, Martial, Rashford. The subs were Romero, Phil Jones, Darmian, Young, Herrera, Schneiderlin, and Lingard. Only 5 of those players at still at the club: De Gea, Rashford, Martial, Mata, Lingard, and Jones. Three have essentially no role whatsoever (Lingard, Mata, Jones), and one is out on loan.

devips

Ralf cultists are such a ridiculous lot! If the purpose of bringing in Ralf was to build up the club, then he would have been given the job from the get go. He was made the interim manager because we needed top 4.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
Media is reporting he's staying on and moving upstairs, hope it's true. Is there anyone who we could hire who has had more success bringing in young players and developing them so successfully (I'm talking as a DOF type not as a manager)?

I'm excited about where things are going with those scouts leaving and Ralf staying.

Lyng

Ralf cultists are such a ridiculous lot! If the purpose of bringing in Ralf was to build up the club, then he would have been given the job from the get go. He was made the interim manager because we needed top 4.
Neatly ignore the fact that he was brought in for the consultant role.

Status
Not open for further replies.