Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomaldinho1

I said he'll have been here for 8 months, referring to his overall time as manager. And if clubs like Newcastle and Burnley can see even the slightest of improvements in a short time, I wouldn't expect someone like Rangnick to make United significantly worse.
December to May is also not 8 months.
We were 3 points off 4th after Carrick’s win at Arsenal, we’re now 6 points off. I’d imagine points per game won’t be too disimilar for this season between the two managers and we’ll finish 6th or 7th. Consider the ship steadied but it was already sinking.

Who else was there, Conte would have been the usual expansive mistake and otherwise who was around mid season? We’re still as average as we were. We have a manager now for summer, let Ragnick take all this flak and be happy he’s doing it (whether he wants to or not) because the transition for ETH will be smoother.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
3 points less than Newcastle over Ralf's 20 games, a team that hadn't won a game that point.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
3 points less than Newcastle over Ralf's 20 games, a team that hadn't won a game that point.
FFS and the stats just get better :lol::lol::lol:

So we can add Eddie Howe to the list of managers who are better than RR

Matt851

Pretty much
If you really believe murtough will enact a clear out of the squad I suspect you will be majorly disappointed. In previous seasons we have struggled to deliver three signings in one window. Given the number of departures this year we need to sign more players but I would be highly surprised if we manage to sign five. In which case the bulk of the squad will left over from this season.

This is why all the talk of ralf showing up the players who can't cope with a more progressive style is a bit ridiculous. Almost every player has struggled under ralf but it would take years to replace them all

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
There are some total clowns with agendas in here. It's universally accepted (well, except for the one-off edgelords) that our squad is just so disjointed, we have no midfield after McFred and we brought no one in January.

And yet Ralf is somehow being compared to a guy who failed after three years. Some of you really embody the word shameless.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If you really believe murtough will enact a clear out of the squad I suspect you will be majorly disappointed. In previous seasons we have struggled to deliver three signings in one window. Given the number of departures this year we need to sign more players but I would be highly surprised if we manage to sign five. In which case the bulk of the squad will left over from this season.

This is why all the talk of ralf showing up the players who can't cope with a more progressive style is a bit ridiculous. Almost every player has struggled under ralf but it would take years to replace them all
Its not one for one. We already have a bloated squad.

A clear out is inevitable. 8 as a bare minimum will leave beyond reasonable doubt. I think wel end up seeing 10 out the door though - the usual 6 out of contract / announced plus Jones Bailey Pereira.

Reports have pointed to 4-5 incomings. If we offload martial I see another.

Jericho

Clearly a cohesive group of players with the right ability and mentality to succeed, if only Ralf wasn't in charge we'd be doing so well :rolleyes:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
There are some total clowns with agendas in here. It's universally accepted (well, except for the one-off edgelords) that our squad is just so disjointed, we have no midfield after McFred and we brought no one in January.

And yet Ralf is somehow being compared to a guy who failed after three years. Some of you really embody the word shameless.
Get over yourself and try and keep up! Rangnick is being assessed on the time that he has been here. His time as manager has been ineffective and seen a steady decline in performances and results.

BlueHaze

So we should just accept that 9 wins in 20 league games is good enough because the squad is "disjointed" Does Arsenal really have that much better squad than us?

I accept that we have a poor squad who have been really poor this year but I also acccept the fact that Ralf has failed in pretty much every department. Our attack has not improved one bit and we still leak in goals. This is not an agenda it's just the truth.

redflash

It really winds me up that people are having a go again at another manager. It's so rediculous!!! Our squad of player have let down 4 managers in a row and you guys still turn on the manager.

I love ragnick and think he's doing the exact job he was brought here to do. He is getting a first hand account and view on the real issues at united and he's exposing them. Yes results are shit but you've seen this lot do this over and over again. Manager they don't like or want anymore and they stop running, miss chances and leak stories about unrest.

We need gutting, that's for certain and not just players.half the staff need to go too. That's why he's the perfect man for job.

Stick by him And when you here what he's saying trust it because he's being honest. We as a fan base need to listen and hear him but more importantly the owners and controllers of the club need to hear him.

Reactions: esmufc07

Rightnr

Clearly a cohesive group of players with the right ability and mentality to succeed, if only Ralf wasn't in charge we'd be doing so well :rolleyes:
Yup, Ralf is such a failure, why is he not out there making Rashford move his legs and position Maguire like a 80m centre back. Shit manager.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Get over yourself and try and keep up! Rangnick is being assessed on the time that he has been here. His time as manager has been ineffective and seen a steady decline in performances and results.
But that's not true, though. We're seeing the same unmotivated, lacking in effort, undisciplined excuse for a football team today as we did under Ole.

What were you expecting from Ralf?

Foxbatt

But that's not true, though. We're seeing the same unmotivated, lacking in effort, undisciplined excuse for a football team today as we did under Ole.

at least Ralf is saying what it is instead of trying to hide behind passion and DNA etc. Now he has put the spot light on where it should be and the Board cannot hide behind the manager anymore. They are forced to act. As a coach he has seen what these players are as we all can see after the Palace game. All these people after Ralf are the same Ole inners and the Pok fanboys. I did not expect Ralf to get anything more than the 4th place and also knew that it would be extremely hard to get that lone spot. Arsenal took the bitter pill and kicked out all the moaners and that is why they are where they are. We need to lance the boil and Ralf is doing so. I would have huge issues if he had got the gig as a manager instead of interim and I am very happy that he did what he is needed to do so now.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?

Didn't Ole come in and win 10 of his first 11 games as caretaker without signing a single player? He almost got us CL footy in that half season despite us being way behind when he took over.

How he do that then? Must have been good motivation skills if it wasn't coaching.

Ralf doesn't get a free pass no matter what. He may not be responsible for a lot of the issues we have but he's certainly not been a good manager in his time here. Ole was labelled a failure for finishing top 3 twice. We'd snatch your hand off for top 3 now.

Tavern in the town

So what was the point binning Ole? Surely the entire reason you sack a manager is to see some sort of upside. We could’ve just waited until the summer if we were happy with more of the same.

The truth is Rangnick has been an absolute fecking disaster and he’s somehow winning fans over by calling everyone and everything shit during press conferences. Go back to the thread when he was appointed and see how full of optimism we all were, he’s been a massive let down.

BlueHaze

All these people after Ralf are the same Ole inners and the Pok fanboys.
This is complete rubbish though. I've criticized Ralf and I also wanted Ole to get the sack months before he did. To label everyone critical of Ralf as "Ole inners" is a bit of a lazy argument.

Rightnr

So what was the point binning Ole? Surely the entire reason you sack a manager is to see some sort of upside. We could’ve just waited until the summer if we were happy with more of the same.

The truth is Rangnick has been an absolute fecking disaster and he’s somehow winning fans over by calling everyone and everything shit during press conferences. Go back to the thread when he was appointed and see how full of optimism we all were, he’s been a massive let down.
The reason for binning Solskajer was that he was way, way out of his depth tactically and was lead by these overgrown children which is also the reason why we cannot press for shit and why Ralf has struggled to find a system that works for these clowns wearing the club's shirt (Ronaldo, De Gea and Sancho excepted).

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
at least Ralf is saying what it is instead of trying to hide behind passion and DNA etc. Now he has put the spot light on where it should be and the Board cannot hide behind the manager anymore. They are forced to act. As a coach he has seen what these players are as we all can see after the Palace game. All these people after Ralf are the same Ole inners and the Pok fanboys. I did not expect Ralf to get anything more than the 4th place and also knew that it would be extremely hard to get that lone spot. Arsenal took the bitter pill and kicked out all the moaners and that is why they are where they are. We need to lance the boil and Ralf is doing so. I would have huge issues if he had got the gig as a manager instead of interim and I am very happy that he did what he is needed to do so now.
It was originally intended for Rangnick to take over the DoF role, right? Overseeing the club's recruitment; identifying talent, finding players that fit the manager's system, whether they gel with the squad, etc.

If the above is true, then we have to assume Ralf has spent the last 6 months assessing the existing squad of players. And he clearly has major concerns with many of our players, better still, he's not afraid to voice those concerns.

We need to trust the guy.

Ole was clearly out of his depth and largely contributed to the travesty we're seeing today.

The United

It was originally intended for Rangnick to take over the DoF role, right? Overseeing the club's recruitment; identifying talent, finding players that fit the manager's system, whether they gel with the squad, etc.

If the above is true, then we have to assume Ralf has spent the last 6 months assessing the existing squad of players. And he clearly has major concerns with many of our players, better still, he's not afraid to voice those concerns.

No, because we have a DOF already who hired RR to 'consult' him. Whether they would take him seriously is a different matter.

No one including even RR knows what the hell he would be doing next season at this point.

Foxbatt

It was also that none of the elite managers wanted to come in the middle of the season. So either stick with Ole and could have ended in free fall or get someone like Ralf and hope to stabilize the situation. No one expected the players to sulk after 60 mins of football. If we had stuck with Ole, all this would be swept under the carpet and nothing good would come out of it. Now at least we know that a lot of these players are a huge problem and ETH would know what to do with the players.

stevoc

Tupac?

stevoc

I must say I don't remember any statement from the club or Ralf himself implying that he would become the clubs new DOF or any similar position. Many fans seemed to assume he was going to become the DOF for some reason but the original press release when he was hired simply said he would be taking up a consultancy role after his stint as Interim manager. And that's still the case as far as we know.

Lost bear

Absolutely. You can see that it's the Ole inners and the Pok fans who are jumping on the back of Ralf. Everyone knows that he is temporary and now we know he is honest to call it and the club cannot sweep it under the carpet anymore. It's out in black and white.
Yes- and a good thing too!

Pablo18th

Didn't Ole come in and win 10 of his first 11 games as caretaker without signing a single player? He almost got us CL footy in that half season despite us being way behind when he took over.

How he do that then? Must have been good motivation skills if it wasn't coaching.

Ralf doesn't get a free pass no matter what. He may not be responsible for a lot of the issues we have but he's certainly not been a good manager in his time here. Ole was labelled a failure for finishing top 3 twice. We'd snatch your hand off for top 3 now.
Ben Mee is working on an escape for Burnley and he was a full time player last month but apparently we are being to harsh on Ralf.

city-puma

It was also that none of the elite managers wanted to come in the middle of the season. So either stick with Ole and could have ended in free fall or get someone like Ralf and hope to stabilize the situation. No one expected the players to sulk after 60 mins of football. If we had stuck with Ole, all this would be swept under the carpet and nothing good would come out of it. Now at least we know that a lot of these players are a huge problem and ETH would know what to do with the players.
Complete nonsense!

Lost bear

Really I think at the time Ralf came in a lot of us believed that the players primarily just needed decent coaching. We thought Ole’s coaching was poor or non- existent, which it was.

Since then I think it has become absolutely clear that the players themselves are a massive part of the problem. To be fair, some posters saw this years ago, but most of us continually blamed a succession of crap managers, who were indeed either bad or past their best, whose style had worked in a previous era but not now: or, like Ole, were just unqualified.

I think Ralf, in contrast to his predecessors, has in fact done well, though really he’s a consultant in a managers job. While the performances have been dreadful, it was obvious in that first game what he wanted the players to do: to press and play as a team. It was also obvious that they couldn’t or wouldn’t cooperate, and that from then on he was compelled to try and be pragmatic.

However, and this is the key point, I think it likely that his brief was always to come in and identify what the exact feck was wrong at UTD, which at times has seemed mysterious( to the extent that some argued that we were cursed or lacked managerial baldness). This I believe he has done, and it’s in that sense I mean that he’s been successful. I for one think it’s worth a bad season to get that message out loud and clear, so that we can - finally - start to address the issues.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I wouldn't say he knows nothing. He definitely has one or two sources at the club.
He really doesn't. The best he has is allowing his platform to be leveraged by Romano so he can give some transfer thoughts.

Howson definitely has some links but not Goldbridge I believe. I think goldbridge is mugged off and isolated from the whole universe of fan channels, which is why Kick Off, AFTV, Paddock etc pays him no attention. Its in no small part because hes a conspiracy theorist and known bullshitter.

Gordon Godot

Really I think at the time Ralf came in a lot of us believed that the players primarily just needed decent coaching. We thought Ole’s coaching was poor or non- existent, which it was.

Since then I think it has become absolutely clear that the players themselves are a massive part of the problem. To be fair, some posters saw this years ago, but most of us continually blamed a succession of crap managers, who were indeed either bad or past their best, whose style had worked in a previous era but not now: or, like Ole, were just unqualified.

I think Ralf, in contrast to his predecessors, has in fact done well, though really he’s a consultant in a managers job. While the performances have been dreadful, it was obvious in that first game what he wanted the players to do: to press and play as a team. It was also obvious that they couldn’t or wouldn’t cooperate, and that from then on he was compelled to try and be pragmatic.

However, and this is the key point, I think it likely that his brief was always to come in and identify what the exact feck was wrong at UTD, which at times has seemed mysterious( to the extent that some argued that we were cursed or lacked managerial baldness). This I believe he has done, and it’s in that sense I mean that he’s been successful. I for one think it’s worth a bad season to get that message out loud and clear, so that we can - finally - start to address the issues.
Its way too simplistic to say its the players or any signle manager. We have a club with no direction or purpose, owners who dont care what happens on the pitch or if we ever win a trophy. A rotting stadium, sub par facilities and a team full of players who have no collective spirit, mostly on obscene money and sense the rot from the top. This more than anything is what McTominay was alluding to after the Arsenal game. They see Fletcher pitch up without a coaching badge to his name, Phelan still sitting around in his shorts, Ralf looking out of his depth. Ole was a joke and should never have got the job, or at least acknowledged he needed coaching support. His supposed man management though was to add the final mess into the already toxic dressing room by keeping players who were desperate to leave. Its truly, truly awful. I doubt ETH alone can sort this.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He really doesn't. The best he has is allowing his platform to be leveraged by Romano so he can give some transfer thoughts.

Howson definitely has some links but not Goldbridge I believe. I think goldbridge is mugged off and isolated from the whole universe of fan channels, which is why Kick Off, AFTV, Paddock etc pays him no attention. Its in no small part because hes a conspiracy theorist and known bullshitter.
I would say the same about Howson tbf :lol:

Salford_Red83

I was, and still am, happy that Rangnick was appointed as interim. It would have been nice if he'd have got us top 4 but it would have just papered over the cracks.

I don't know what some people on here expected, but whatever it was was ridiculously short sighted.

captaincantona

RR could have come in and massaged egos like Ole. Man managed to get the best out of each individual. But where would that have gotten us? Scraping top 4 at best in exchange for still being stuck with a bloated overpaid self important squad, unsustainable contracts and approach to giving contracts, for players who are either simply not performing or worth it or will down tools the first sign of their personal brands being Impacted.

instead, RR called players out, loaned players out and laid bare thebullshit going on behind the scenes. As a result, the next manager will have a much better chance of succeeding.The complete jokers we have accumulated can piss off and we can bring in the right profile of player to suit the type of football ETHwants to play. It was a necessary move.

Epitome of short term pain for long term gain. That’s as long as the higher ups don’t get cold feet and take Ralfs views on board. In all fairness, it’s only what a lot of fans suspected for a long time. Finally someone on the inside confirms it.

Last edited:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I would say the same about Howson tbf :lol:
Howson is pals with Rio and had some inside track on things especially with the academy players if Im not mistaken.

Recently he said we looking at a lady for a candidate within analytics and this was before our scouts were sacked. Hes not a journalist but he definitely gets a bit of a tip occasionally.

Goldbridge is 24 hour conspiracy though.

stevoc

RR could have come in and massaged egos like Ole. Man managed to get the best out of each individual. But where would that have gotten us? Scraping top 4 at best in exchange for still being stuck with a bloated overpaid self important squad, unsustainable contracts and approach to giving contracts, for players who are either simply not performing or worth it or will down tools the first sign of their personal brands being Impacted.

instead, RR called players out, loaned players out and laid bare thebullshit going on behind the scenes. As a result, the next manager will have a much better chance of succeeding.The complete jokers we have accumulated can piss off and we can bring in the right profile of player to suit the type of football ETHwants to play. It was a necessary move.

Epitome of short term pain for long term gain. That’s as long as the higher ups don’t get cold feet and take Ralfs views on board. In all fairness, it’s only what a lot of fans suspected for a long time. Finally someone on the inside confirms it.
Champions League football and more money for Ten Hag to recruit new players?

I'm not sure where this idea of an either/or situation has came from that we somehow need to finish outside the top 4 to see change within the squad. The squad will be overhauled regardless of where we finish simply because we have so many players out of contract or who were always likely to leave anyway.

Ralf will have been trying to get this team to 4th it just didn't work out for him, he could have managed this team to 4th and virtually nothing would have changed with regards to his consultancy role or his suggestions on what he thinks the club need to do.

All we achieve by finishing outside the CL places is making Ten Hag's job a lot harder, he will most likely have less money available for transfers, not being able to offer CL football limits the range of players who will want to join to an extent and he'll possibly have to deal with playing in the Europa League next season.

Leethal

Man speaks sense.

Why a good portion of our supporters are clamouring for a quick fix "top four" finish that would just paper over the cracks, is beyond me. We've been doing that for the last 10 years - keeping our "owners" happy with the CL money.

Status
Not open for further replies.