Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robbie Boy

There is nothing nuanced about the level of excuses trotted out for Ragnick: they consist almost exclusive of making things up.
I don't have a dog in this fight tbh. I don't rate the job either have done. I'm not well enough versed on Ralf to know what kind of a job he may do in the future, from a consultancy POV. As I'm not a huge reader of this thread, I don't really know what kind of excuses are being rolled out for RR tbh. However, it's still a hell of a-lot easier to make excuses for RR, over Ole.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
This pseudo-intellectual act of yours isn’t fooling anyone, so you can save the patronising comments.

But anyway, the above is simply a bunch of excuses for a man who’s clearly out of his depth at a club the size of Manchester United.
It's not intellectual to call out the stupidity in your posts. No offence, one doesn't need to be that smart to do so.

Remember when, about 150 pages back, you were clowning about spewing hilarious and deluded comments and I took the number of posts you have and did a quick statistical analysis of your post to bullshit ratio?

That was fun.
Remember the time I explained how you don't understand stats? That was fun. But alas, you still didn't understand simple year 8 level statistics.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I’m telling you the amount that are gutted that we didn’t win the top 4 trophy. People satisfied with several years of false dawns rather than a clear out and systematic changes that Murtough seems to be implementing.
Pretty much

Grey Rider

Barely post but in my opinion the title of this thread should be changed. RR is trying to do an impossible job. Try to put yourselves in his shoes. The majority of the players are to blame as per other threads. The title of this thread should be: ‘Ralf Rangnick: Shoved under the bus like the last few Man Utd managers’. Personally can’t wait until these charlatan players (with a few exceptions) are kicked out of our club. Good riddance. Would rather we played the youth team. Been supporting Utd for over 50 years and this group of players are the worst ever by a country mile (I humbly exclude a few from that, you and they know who they are). Apologies for the rant. Best of luck to ETH. I hope he gets free reign to change the toxic culture of our club.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
As I'm not a huge reader of this thread, I don't really know what kind of excuses are being rolled out for RR tbh.
A lot of people are defending Rangnick by saying his job as interim manager has never mattered and that his actual role is to rebuild the club in the next years. Based on all the information we have, including multiple public statements by Rangnick, this is simply not true.

People want it to be true. I understand why it could be good if it were true. But as far as we know, it isn't true.

Robbie Boy

You can see the inverse even more clearly. Many of those who didn’t rate Ole at all and said why coach would do better are having to make up nonsense to try and prove Ragnick has been better. I truly believe Ole had to go but it’s really simple to see that Ragnicks time has been a complete disaster as manager. Hopefully he does a far better job higher up, advising, I suspect he will.
Well, that's fairly disingenuous. In order to judge any new manager on a level playing field like Ole was, they need the time and resources in which he was afforded. RR literally walked into a bomb site and hasn't signed a single player. I'm slightly disappointed by what he's done from a strictly coaching POV, but I like some of the assessments that he's made.

The reality is; what the club is doing now, is what was promised during Ole's interim tenure i.e. structural changes and a well thought out appointment process for the next managerial appointment. Unfortunately, the club took the lazy way out and went for Ole. Ultimately that has set us back, and ETH has a huge job on his hands. Getting to a stage where an interim has to be appointed is far from ideal, but unfortunately Ole's job became totally untenable.

I obviously would have been more pleased had RR gotten us top-four, but it wasn't to be. However, I'm definitely pleased that we are finally taking a well thought out longterm approach. Let's pretend we had of appointed say, Howe, and he scraped us into top-four. The club would have shit the bed again and no doubt given him the reigns, and abandoned any longterm structural planning. This would have again set us back. There is going to be some short term pain, like early days for Liverpool under Klopp. But let's hope it's all for a brighter future. Ole was just a band aid over what required major surgery. The club could once again bury it's head in the sand over what was required, all because we got some decent league finishes, but we never looked like making sustainable progress. RR was probably the wrong man for a coaching capacity, but maybe his honest assessment have somewhat woken the club up. I'm not married either way to whether he stays or goes btw.

Last edited:

Robbie Boy

A lot of people are defending Rangnick by saying his job as interim manager has never mattered and that his actual role is to rebuild the club in the next years. Based on all the information we have, including multiple public statements by Rangnick, this is simply not true.

People want it to be true. I understand why it could be good if it were true. But as far as we know, it isn't true.
Fair enough.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I don’t think many think Ragnick is an amazing coach (just look at his background) but it’s more that he’s almost an irrelevance with the gobshites that play for us. He’s an interim, couldn’t get the coaches he wanted and had others leave he wanted to stay, he wasn’t given a single transfer and obviously then got doubly unlucky with Greenwood and Cavani being made of breadsticks.

If he’s not consulted it’s been a necessary sacrifice (he’s taking all this flak and crap from players, fans and press) allowing ETH to come in as the good guy and not needing to get rid of about 10 players.

If he is consulted, we can then assess him at his normal job.

Ole was an actual manager and we wasted 3 years with him, Ragnick isn’t a manager and he’s going to do 6 months tops. Big difference in why one was such a disaster and the other has been a bog standard interim (what league position when he took over, I don’t know but suspect we’ll finish the season about there?)
Whatever title you want to give Rangnick, he was brought in specifically to mange the team for the rest of the season. We were in cup competitions and challenging for top 4. All that has gone and we're playing worse football than under any of the previous managers. When you look at the improvements at fecking Newcastle and Burnley, I'm not buying any of his shit when he'll have been managing the team for 8 months. During that time he's made everything worse and everybody apart from his blind followers can see that.

His followers just seem to be hanging on to the fact that well he's identified where the problems are within the club but there is nothing to indicate that he has had any significant involvement behind the scenes. He says it himself every press conference

DSG

It's not intellectual to call out the stupidity in your posts. No offence, one doesn't need to be that smart to do so.

Remember the time I explained how you don't understand stats? That was fun. But alas, you still didn't understand simple year 8 level statistics.
If I remember correctly, back then my point was that basically Ralf wasn’t a good manager, he had a poor record with United up until that point (worst post SAF), and you started spewing off about sample size, etc.

Well, here we are. Ralf’s results have actually gotten worse, we are in a worse position in the table. His managerial record at Utd is now the worst since Dave Sexton, 42 years ago. The data seems to confirm my original position whereas it gets harder and harder to defend Ralf.

Have a good day mate.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
Don't really get the vitriol for RR I have to say. WIth Ole, think a lot of us just basically wanted him gone as it became obvious he was never gonna progress us beyond a plucky counterattacking set up with a bloated squad that finished double digits behind actually good teams. With Ralf, he's gone! A few more games and he is gone. Do we have to label him a 'fraud' or a 'clown' or something or ignore everything he's ever done in football so that it's satisfying? It's just weird :lol:

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
If I remember correctly, back then my point was that basically Ralf wasn’t a good manager, he had a poor record with United up until that point (worst post SAF), and you started spewing off about sample size, etc.

Well, here we are. Ralf’s results have actually gotten worse, we are in a worse position in the table. His managerial record at Utd is now the worst since Dave Sexton, 42 years ago. The data seems to confirm my original position whereas it gets harder and harder to defend Ralf.

Have a good day mate.
Hes in an interim role, not a permanent one as manager.
This is why you need a bit of an education on statistics.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Don't really get the vitriol for RR I have to say. WIth Ole, think a lot of us just basically wanted him gone as it became obvious he was never gonna progress us beyond a plucky counterattacking set up with a bloated squad that finished double digits behind actually good teams. With Ralf, he's gone! A few more games and he is gone. Do we have to label him a 'fraud' or a 'clown' or something or ignore everything he's ever done in football so that it's satisfying? It's just weird :lol:
if the players don't get a pass for every single remaining defeat this season why should RR? Like RR a lot of them won't be here next season they're still representing the club and are responsible for the shit show every week

tomaldinho1

Whatever title you want to give Rangnick, he was brought in specifically to mange the team for the rest of the season. We were in cup competitions and challenging for top 4. All that has gone and we're playing worse football than under any of the previous managers. When you look at the improvements at fecking Newcastle and Burnley, I'm not buying any of his shit when he'll have been managing the team for 8 months. During that time he's made everything worse and everybody apart from his blind followers can see that.

His followers just seem to be hanging on to the fact that well he's identified where the problems are within the club but there is nothing to indicate that he has had any significant involvement behind the scenes. He says it himself every press conference
Comparing us to Newcastle and Burnley is a strange thing to do? Newcastle have also spent heavily, Burnley are a solid PL team who Duche normally keeps up, this seals they were in awful form and now have had a bit of a bounce. Explain how either is similar to what is happening at United?

As for the cup comps yes but then did we expect to go far in the CL? We battered Boro but couldn’t score and went out on penos (shit but nothing that hasn’t happened to other managers) and also dominated WHUM but couldn’t score, check stats for both games. Now I’m not saying losing to Boro and WHUM is acceptable but, then, it was acceptable for Ole to get knocked out cup comps like it was going out of fashion (Wolves, Leicester, Chelsea, City x 2, Villarreal, Sevilla, Barcelona is a mixed bag) so unless we’re using double standards - which is also a bit unfair on an interim - I don’t really see how that’s a fair criticism?

Also last time I checked the 5th December is not 8 months before the 24th of April.

InspiRED

Supports
Outraged snowflakes
if the players don't get a pass for every single remaining defeat this season why should RR? Like RR a lot of them won't be here next season they're still representing the club and are responsible for the shit show every week
Well we’ll just disagree I think because the context of RR’s situation and some of those players is different. He can’t force them at gunpoint to execute his instructions even if that would make the remaining games more entertaining.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
As a newbie, it's very discouraging to see this kind of back and forth between posters. It's not just today, there's been so much of it for several seasons that I've seen as a lurker.
Apologies. I try not to get into pettyness. I was being more tongue in cheek though!

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
As a newbie, it's very discouraging to see this kind of back and forth between posters. It's not just today, there's been so much of it for several seasons that I've seen as a lurker.
Its not nice, but we lose our patience.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Unless he's doing some great stuff behind the scenes, I defy anyone to tell me the last 6months has been any better than the Ole half season.
We've had similar big whoppings, and even harder struggles beating crap teams.

At least Ole battered a few teams early season!

Still, the only proof in the pudding of whether it was worth it, is if the next manager does well.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Comparing us to Newcastle and Burnley is a strange thing to do? Newcastle have also spent heavily, Burnley are a solid PL team who Duche normally keeps up, this seals they were in awful form and now have had a bit of a bounce. Explain how either is similar to what is happening at United?

As for the cup comps yes but then did we expect to go far in the CL? We battered Boro but couldn’t score and went out on penos (shit but nothing that hasn’t happened to other managers) and also dominated WHUM but couldn’t score, check stats for both games. Now I’m not saying losing to Boro and WHUM is acceptable but, then, it was acceptable for Ole to get knocked out cup comps like it was going out of fashion (Wolves, Leicester, Chelsea, City x 2, Villarreal, Sevilla, Barcelona is a mixed bag) so unless we’re using double standards - which is also a bit unfair on an interim - I don’t really see how that’s a fair criticism?

Also last time I checked the 5th December is not 8 months before the 24th of April.
I said he'll have been here for 8 months, referring to his overall time as manager. And if clubs like Newcastle and Burnley can see even the slightest of improvements in a short time, I wouldn't expect someone like Rangnick to make United significantly worse.

Ted Lasso

Apologies. I try not to get into pettyness.
Its not nice, but we lose our patience.
No need to apologize but appreciate it in any case. I can understand it's also a reflection of the mood around the club as a whole. Things have been off for some time. Hopefully this supposed reboot will lighten the mood more permanently with a nice side of trophies

Submarine Chief

Everyone is frustrated. Grinding on the past, especially from our limited view, isn’t going to change anything.

Hopefully the decision makers have learned a few lessons which they needed to make the right decisions and allow ETH to get off on a fresh start with the best path forward identified.

We can already see they have let go the guys in charge of recruitment. That’s probably been needed for a while. Hopefully some additional changes with DoF and such will allow for better decision making.

Giggsy13

But he has been in a management role thus far. And now that he‘s failed miserably, the likelihood that he will be listened to about anything in the future is almost zero. ETH will come in with his own strategy and won’t need ponderous Ralph to advise him on what to do. It’s not the end of the world he stays in a consultancy role, but we shouldn’t expect it to make a meaningful difference in what ETH does.
This idea that he hasn’t been consulted or listened to by the club is also a myth. He provided his opinion to Murtough about ten Hag. I’m not suggesting Murtough hung on his every word and made the hire on the basis of Ralf’s opinion, but clearly Murtough values Rangnick’s opinion and is one of the reasons he was hired.

The greater good from Ralf’s appointment again is the long term approach the club seems to be taking rather than finding another temporary patch work solution. I’ve stated it more than once, the club has seen over a billion poured into recruitment with almost zero returns and possibly wanted a different perspective from a footballing mind like Ralf. This may prove beneficial in the long term with a more sensible and directed transfer approach under ten Hag. Let this season be a disaster, so that the owners may actually be bothered to make real changes.

Last edited:

Giggsy13

If there is a Ralf cult following - I've yet to see one - then thankfully it'll be very short lived. The Ole cult has been rolling on for more than 3.5 years now. Nauseating stuff.

Also, it's a-lot more nuanced for excuses to be made for someone who walked into a shit-show and hasn't signed a single player; than listening to excuses for a manager that had 3-years and hundreds of millions to spend.
Thread should be renamed to the Cult of Ole rising up from the ashes

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Thread should be renamed to the Cult of Ole rising up from the ashes
I think they've both been different shades of shit.

Edit * The whole club has been shit. From owners to the team. Maybe even the ball boys and tea lady

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

If there is a Ralf cult following - I've yet to see one - then thankfully it'll be very short lived. The Ole cult has been rolling on for more than 3.5 years now. Nauseating stuff.

Also, it's a-lot more nuanced for excuses to be made for someone who walked into a shit-show and hasn't signed a single player; than listening to excuses for a manager that had 3-years and hundreds of millions to spend.
Robbie, you've been religiously posting about Ole in various threads every day for at least the past two weeks. The only one obsessed with him is you. Not sure about ralf cult but you'll be in with whoever is compared against Ole.

jem

I’ve asked this multiple times on multiple threads: how is what Ralf is producing any worse than the utter horror show under Ole in October and November?

stevoc

There has been multiple credible sources before it became clear ETH was number 1 choice, that a large portion of the board wanted Poch (the mainstays pre-Murtough) and Rangnick was pushing for ETH. Athletic have also reported that Murtough values Rangnick highly, so go figure.

Yes, they do. Because we were in for Kane especially had Poch been chosen. The fact that we are looking at a young striker and that being taken on board together with all of the other points show he's being listened to.

No, the process was the same. Manager has some requests on players and club tries to grant them accordingly. No focus on how the club want to play irrespective of manager. This is what Ralf is saying should happen. It's common sense, and the recent organizational structures are pointing toward that.

For example - if we want to be a possession based and high line team, don't buy Maguire. But we did. Don't by Donny if you want to play counter attack all the time without focus on possession, but we did. Don't buy Cavani and Ronaldo if we want to press from the front, but we did. And so on and so on.
Still sounds all a bit of a stretch to me personally mate to attribute all the clubs recent decisions solely to Rangnick's influence but fair enough it's possible. As I say I hope the club are listening to him but I'm still sceptical about the people that run this football club.

mattsville

He is extremely highly rated by the football World and I'm glad we signed him, the fact that the team is dysfunctional you can be guaranteed is not on him, he has no doubt seen the shit in the dressing room and poxy goings on with a lot of these players and can now hand that on to ETH to save him having to figure that out for himself, he is a valuable addition to the new football governance at the club.

Robbie Boy

Robbie, you've been religiously posting about Ole in various threads every day for at least the past two weeks. The only one obsessed with him is you. Not sure about ralf cult but you'll be in with whoever is compared against Ole.
Mate, I literally didn't post a single post on here from late December up until last week :lol: I had to come back because the bullshit rhetoric about Ole doing a supposedly good job was coming to the fore again. I literally didn't post for months because fanatics like yourself just couldn't let go.

Irwin99

How have we conceded more goals than Burnley :lol:
Think it's something like 3 more conceded goals and we'll have had our worst ever defensive record in a PL season. I actually felt the defence improved quite a lot and was the only really noticeable thing that changed since Ole but even that's gone to pot over the past month or so.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
What a bizarre thread with insults flying all around.

We have our man in ten Hag, show some enthusiasm. Even if you take the "he is disaster approach which is wrong imo" he still got us where most of us wanted to be.

Or as this fine gentleman said.

That’s literally the best possible thing that could happen this season. Getting in an interim manager who might have dragged this lot to Top 4, masked over the issues and set us on course for more mediocrity next season would have been a disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.