g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Irwin99

What went wrong this season was bringing Ronaldo back and putting a load of players noses out of joint (again). They did it before with Martial when they bought Zlatan in and that was arguably the start of his lack of motivation. Then they did it again bringing Cavani in and stunting the development of one of Rashford, Martial or Greenwood.

Now you've got Ronnie "demanding more" and "setting the standards" while making a lot of the dressing room unhappy
. Every time he scores though you have Goldbridge creaming his pants and giving it "People say Ronaldo's the problem sit down". Well yeah 2 thirds of a squad that a) went unbeaten away for a season b) finished 2nd in the League and c) got to the EL final are now putting in lesser performances as a result.

Remember a couple of seasons ago our front 3 of Rashford, Martial and Greenwood were one of the highest scoring front 3s around and they were all young and hungry. Yet we kept putting them to the side to bring in older players in the sunset of their careers and Ronaldo was just the cherry on top of the cake.
If those players get demoralized by having Ronaldo-an actual winner of things brought into to take us to the next step- then they're clearly not good enough to be United players. If they're moaning because he came in they can get fecked. Their periods of good form were always abruptly ended by collapses when it mattered; you just have to look at the collapse at the end of last season.

Here's a thing: one of our players said at the start of the season (i think) that people don't recognize how far this team has come in the past two years. I was just baffled by that statement because they're done NOTHING that Jose didn't equal or surpass when he was here and rightly got sacked for.

DON’T PANIC ™

I think RR is better able than most to see where the problems lie within the team. Unfortunately, it seems, he lacks the ability and coaching staff to fix the issues on the training ground.
I confess that I knew almost nothing about RR before he came to Utd, but it was clear Ole needed to go, and there were enough voices in the caf claiming RR was some sort of supercoach for me to have high expectations.
Whilst he clearly isn’t, I’m hopeful that by briefing ETH on all that’s going on behind closed doors, RR will have provided him a headstart at least in turning things around.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Why would he need to 'scrap' them?
Dalot wasn't at the club last season. Mata played 500 minutes in the PL last season. Lingard did not play a single minute of PL football for United last season. Phil Jones didn't play any football at all last season. Cavani could have been cleanly 'scrapped' in minutes with Ronaldo.
Whats the point you're making? That he should drop the problem players and find new ones?

caid

Why is it a mistake?

This squad is toxic. It’s full to the brim with pampered egos who will never have the mentality nor technical ability to win the league and consistently compete for other trophies.

He’s the first one to publicly recognise this and he’s made it clear that it’s not good enough and needs to change. That means half of them are going to leave and he’s making sure that’s going to happen.

That’s literally the best possible thing that could happen this season. Getting in an interim manager who might have dragged this lot to Top 4, masked over the issues and set us on course for more mediocrity next season would have been a disaster.
Its sad that thats probably necessary to get our board to act.
We probably would have been better playing two banks of 4 sitting deep and counter attacking as Carrick did for his games in charge but we'd just be putting off the pain of seeing how Maguire, Rashford etc would adapt to playing a high line and working in tighter spaces. Rangnick's system has exposed them for better or worse.
The reality is were not in fourth because Arsenal and Tottenham got their shit together. I dont see much future for either beyond fourth place so its hard to be too jealous really.

I honestly have no preference for the Champions League or Europa Leauge at this point. I'd like us to qualify for one because I want us to play as often as possible. I think it'd be wildly optimistic to think we could make the Champions League quarter finals next season, with how things are at the moment getting out of the group would be impressive. Winning the europa league after a long season of gradual improvements seems more attainable really. Its closer to our level sadly.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Why would he need to 'scrap' them?
Dalot wasn't at the club last season. Mata played 500 minutes in the PL last season. Lingard did not play a single minute of PL football for United last season. Phil Jones didn't play any football at all last season. Cavani could have been cleanly 'scrapped' in minutes with Ronaldo.
I’m not sure what you are advocating then.

estel_manutd

Rangnick is an interim manager, meant to see us through to the end of the season. He's moving upstairs soon into a role more suited to his skillset.

Also, this squad was broken beyond repair long before he arrived. Anyone expecting him to miraculously turn them into winners was only kidding themselves - the fact that the players gave him their best for 30 minutes before returning to shit once again is evidence of that.

I can't understand how people are holding him accountable for this squad's shitness when they played the exact same way under Ole. Don't ignore that 30 minutes against Palace.
Yup, this!

Also, let's not ignore injury issues in attacking areas - Ralf has been without Cavani, Mason, and Martial (loan) since January.

Flexdegea

You really do. A guy who has overperformed broadly at RB, Hoffenheim, Shalke with a very identifiable brand of football. Comes to United with 10+ players leaving in 6 months, no vested interest to get injured overworking, would rather collect a paycheck and a broken squad thanks to his predecessor, no transfers of his own to work with and no pre season.

But yeah sure, lets just take this 6 months and override all of his other managerial performances because you know, banter. Honestly how must your brain function, it's just beyond me at this stage.

Why I don't get folk who think it's his doing all this shite at the moment,

Have a mate who says he been shit, I said in what way, hard to guage what actually happening as the team don't seem to following instructions and with everything else you have said, only other thing he prob could have done was come in and blow more smoke up their holes and fed into the egos, but im not sure it would have worked either.

Been a perfect storm as well this season with so many players leaving.

I'm sort of glad it's went really bad this last month as it seemed to have woke the club up to go get Hag, and realise that the the squad needs major restructuring. If we finished 4th and Ralf was getting the wins I don't think the urge would have been as needed as it is now.

Exposing the squad has been essential in my opinion, and a new direction is needed.

DSG

That's not what people are saying though is it. People are saying the players are only this bad because Ralf is the worst manager we've ever had. Both are culpable but, for some users, the players are being allowed to get away with it, again.
No, we’re just saying Ralf is a bad manager. Not that the board and the players are blameless.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Whats the point you're making? That he should drop the problem players and find new ones?
You said he inherited the "shitstorm" of a bunch of players leaving. I am questioning how much of a "shitstorm" this is.

Real Madrid squad is absolutely full of deadweight. Hazard, Jovic, Bale, Mariano, Marcelo, Isco, Ceballos, and Vallejo. That's 7 players who are either on the last year of their contract or clearly surplus to requirement, none of them have any plausible future at the club.
We have a manager who is known as "easygoing" and who "gets along with the squads" and he solved this insurmountable problem by basically never playing any of them. And nothing happened, Real Madrid are cruising to the league and in the CL semifinals. You're telling me that Ancelotti can do this but Ralf Rangnick is going to be eaten alive by Jesse Lingard?

tomaldinho1

People used to take the piss out of the '**** of Ole'. The '**** of Rangnick' is even more fecked up!

The arguments being used to justify his shitshow of a tenure are just derisory and laughable. I'm convinced people are just trolling in this thread now because they can't be right in the head if they think Ralf's time here has been anything but disastrous.

Can't wait to see what arguments they come up after we have played Chelsea on Thursday.
I don’t think many think Ragnick is an amazing coach (just look at his background) but it’s more that he’s almost an irrelevance with the gobshites that play for us. He’s an interim, couldn’t get the coaches he wanted and had others leave he wanted to stay, he wasn’t given a single transfer and obviously then got doubly unlucky with Greenwood and Cavani being made of breadsticks.

If he’s not consulted it’s been a necessary sacrifice (he’s taking all this flak and crap from players, fans and press) allowing ETH to come in as the good guy and not needing to get rid of about 10 players.

If he is consulted, we can then assess him at his normal job.

Ole was an actual manager and we wasted 3 years with him, Ragnick isn’t a manager and he’s going to do 6 months tops. Big difference in why one was such a disaster and the other has been a bog standard interim (what league position when he took over, I don’t know but suspect we’ll finish the season about there?)

Berbaclass

You said he inherited the "shitstorm" of a bunch of players leaving. I am questioning how much of a "shitstorm" this is.

Real Madrid squad is absolutely full of deadweight. Hazard, Jovic, Bale, Mariano, Marcelo, Isco, Ceballos, and Vallejo. That's 7 players who are either on the last year of their contract or clearly surplus to requirement, none of them have any plausible future at the club.
We have a manager who is known as "easygoing" and who "gets along with the squads" and he solved this insurmountable problem by basically never playing them.
Madrid are actually a successful team though. The toxicity levels would be much more akin to ours if you weren’t doing the job on the pitch. You also generally have a better team than us.

DSG

The relevant stats I provided are a direct comparison between Ole and Ralf from this season alone. Ole’s 17 games versus Ralf’s 25
Right, so when it suits you, the sample size is large enough… otherwise, it’s not enough to gauge performance. If your argument is that they are both small sample sizes and therefore relevant to compare, you have no idea how statistics works mate.

Robbie Boy

People used to take the piss out of the '**** of Ole'. The '**** of Rangnick' is even more fecked up!

The arguments being used to justify his shitshow of a tenure are just derisory and laughable. I'm convinced people are just trolling in this thread now because they can't be right in the head if they think Ralf's time here has been anything but disastrous.

Can't wait to see what arguments they come up after we have played Chelsea on Thursday.
If there is a Ralf **** following - I've yet to see one - then thankfully it'll be very short lived. The Ole **** has been rolling on for more than 3.5 years now. Nauseating stuff.

Also, it's a-lot more nuanced for excuses to be made for someone who walked into a shit-show and hasn't signed a single player; than listening to excuses for a manager that had 3-years and hundreds of millions to spend.

Berbaclass

Right, so when it suits you, the sample size is large enough… otherwise, it’s not enough to gauge performance. If your argument is that they are both small sample sizes and therefore relevant to compare, you have no idea how statistics works mate.
What are you talking about. The initial argument was that Ralf has not made us any better than Ole this season. Therefore I showed statistically that we have improved. Don’t be a moron.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
If there is a Ralf **** following - I've yet to see one - then thankfully it'll be very short lived. The Ole **** has been rolling on for more than 3.5 years now. Nauseating stuff.

Also, it's a-lot more nuanced for excuses to be made for someone who walked into a shit-show and hasn't signed a single player; than listening to excuses for a manager that had 3-years and hundreds of millions to spend.
Preach.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I think RR is better able than most to see where the problems lie within the team. Unfortunately, it seems, he lacks the ability and coaching staff to fix the issues on the training ground.
I confess that I knew almost nothing about RR before he came to Utd, but it was clear Ole needed to go, and there were enough voices in the caf claiming RR was some sort of supercoach for me to have high expectations.
Whilst he clearly isn’t, I’m hopeful that by briefing ETH on all that’s going on behind closed doors, RR will have provided him a headstart at least in turning things around.
Exactly. The last thing this organisation needs is another clean slate for half of these players. We all need to move on and have a total refresh. Knock down the wages. Redefine what we are looking for in potential recruits. Make our own stars again. Hire people approaching their prime. Players who play on the edge and with some pride and a point to prove.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

We have a manager who is known as "easygoing" and who "gets along with the squads" and he solved this insurmountable problem by basically never playing any of them. And nothing happened, Real Madrid are cruising to the league and in the CL semifinals. You're telling me that Ancelotti can do this but Ralf Rangnick is going to be eaten alive by Jesse Lingard?
Ancelotti is a permanent manager and the situation is not as bad as it is here.

Cavani
Lingard
Grant
Mata
Pogba
Matic
^ All among those certain to exit.

Greenwood
Martial
^ Lost for one reason or another.

Jones
Baily
^ On their way out

Pereira of course on loan, difficult to move for some reason. Then a bunch of punts in Pellistri and Diallo also loaned out. VDB out hunting for playing time.

Ancelotti can still rely on some spine at the club through Modric, Casemeiro, Benzema, Vinicius, Kroos, etc. Most of these players are either still world class or on fiery form this season.

Look at Ancelotti's midfield options and compare this to Rangnick, whos form really nosedived post internationals where he lost Fred and McT on top of Shaw.

stevoc

He's contracted for 2 years but caveats its also down to whether the new manager will take his opinions on board.
Yeah so he obviously doesn't know for sure if he will be listened to by Ten Hag and the board which is how I interpreted it.

He is a consultant, he's there to give his opinions and whether his advice is taken is a matter for Murtough. He is not a DoF in that regard.
It is quite evident however that all of his opinions have been valued heavily, whether its to hire ETH in the first place over Poch or to prioritise certain positions (young striker being looked at by Judge for example right after Rangnick openly said this), or to overhaul transfer policy (no coincidence global scouts sacked the day after he gave the candid skysports interview).
Did he recommend the club should hire Ten Hag over Pochettino? You know this for sure? All the talk since his hiring has been that what got him the job was his impressive interviews with Murtagh and Fletcher. (same process that lead to Rangnick getting hired)

We have Ronaldo 37, Cavani 36 (who's leaving) Martial who most likely wants to leave also and Greenwood who probably won't play football again, certainly not for United. And the club needed Ralf Rangnick to tell them it might be a idea to prioritise signing striker this summer?

Overhaul the transfer policy? Yeah we apparently did the same 3 years ago when Solskjaer took over, it's an obvious move when the team is vastly underperforming below it's financial outlay and many of the signings haven't turned out to be good value.

I would actually like Ralf to stay on as an advisor as I think his experience could be useful for the club. But most of this seems like a bit of a stretch to attribute it all to Ralf mate if I'm being honest. Without us knowing exactly what Ralf has said to the club behind closed doors, what they actually took on board etc. then you can't say based of this stuff that the Ralf Rangnick is heavily influencing all the decisions that Manchester United football club have been making recently. I hope he has had some influence with the board on all these issues but personally I've had my doubts for months that he has or will have any sort of significant voice in Man Utd's decision making after this season.

DSG

No offence but with your logic on the caf you can't check the time let alone win a game of conversational chess.
Remember when, about 150 pages back, you were clowning about spewing hilarious and deluded comments and I took the number of posts you have and did a quick statistical analysis of your post to bullshit ratio?

That was fun.

Giggsy13

Says the guy who just wants to point to a league table and conclude everything from the situation. This is how Ed Woodward likely made all of his shit decisions at the club, your understanding along with a couple others in the thread is so ridiculously limited you're better off taking a break from the sport until the new season.
I’m telling you the amount that are gutted that we didn’t win the top 4 trophy. People satisfied with several years of false dawns rather than a clear out and systematic changes that Murtough seems to be implementing.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
I do find it amazing that some of Ole's biggest boot lickers like @Samid are so critical of RR. It's hypocrisy at it's finest, and it's why I'll never take those posters serious about anything football related, ever again.
You can see the inverse even more clearly. Many of those who didn’t rate Ole at all and said why coach would do better are having to make up nonsense to try and prove Ragnick has been better. I truly believe Ole had to go but it’s really simple to see that Ragnicks time has been a complete disaster as manager. Hopefully he does a far better job higher up, advising, I suspect he will.

Berbaclass

Remember when, about 150 pages back, you were clowning about spewing hilarious and deluded comments and I took the number of posts you have and did a quick statistical analysis of your post to bullshit ratio?

That was fun.
You must have too much time on your hands.

FattyFooty

Imagine how it would look if Ragnick didn’t come in mid season and not being allowed to get any players despite losing 3 first team quality players.
If you are saying Martial and Mason was quality, Then im old. You should have seen what United used to have up front.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Yeah so he obviously doesn't know for sure if he will be listened to by Ten Hag and the board which is how I interpreted it.

Did he recommend the club should hire Ten Hag over Pochettino? You know this for sure? All the talk since his hiring has been that what got him the job was his impressive interviews with Murtagh and Fletcher. (same process that lead to Rangnick getting hired)
There has been multiple credible sources before it became clear ETH was number 1 choice, that a large portion of the board wanted Poch (the mainstays pre-Murtough) and Rangnick was pushing for ETH. Athletic have also reported that Murtough values Rangnick highly, so go figure.
We have Ronaldo 37, Cavani 36 (who's leaving) Martial who most likely wants to leave also and Greenwood who probably won't play football again, certainly not for United. And the club needed Ralf Rangnick to tell them it might be a idea to prioritise signing striker this summer?
Yes, they do. Because we were in for Kane especially had Poch been chosen. The fact that we are looking at a young striker and that being taken on board together with all of the other points show he's being listened to.

Overhaul the transfer policy? Yeah we apparently did the same 3 years ago when Solskjaer took over, it's an obvious move when the team is vastly underperforming below it's financial outlay and many of the signings haven't turned out to be good value.
No, the process was the same. Manager has some requests on players and club tries to grant them accordingly. No focus on how the club want to play irrespective of manager. This is what Ralf is saying should happen. It's common sense, and the recent organizational structures are pointing toward that.

For example - if we want to be a possession based and high line team, don't buy Maguire. But we did. Don't by Donny if you want to play counter attack all the time without focus on possession, but we did. Don't buy Cavani and Ronaldo if we want to press from the front, but we did. And so on and so on.

FattyFooty

Only two games he has won in the past 64 days were because Ronaldo bailed him out. Without Ronaldo's individual brilliance Ralf's win % would probably be below 30.
Will be exiting to see what Ten Hag brings..

If Ronaldo stays. I belive Ten want him too. But we will see.

TrustInJanuzaj

That was fun.
That sounds great. Dig that out and repost would be good for a laugh!

TrustInJanuzaj

If you are saying Martial and Mason was quality, Then im old. You should have seen what United used to have up front.
They were both good players. Greenwood in particular was easily our best attacking player this season. Stupid to pretend that wasn’t going to have an impact!

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Also, it's a-lot more nuanced for excuses to be made for someone who walked into a shit-show and hasn't signed a single player
There is nothing nuanced about the level of excuses trotted out for Ragnick: they consist almost exclusive of making things up.

devips

Rangnick cultists make me cringe so, more when they invoke Ole to justify their failed Guru.

DSG

What are you talking about. The initial argument was that Ralf has not made us any better than Ole this season. Therefore I showed statistically that we have improved. Don’t be a moron.
Except results haven’t improved. But wait, now I remember, results aren’t important ‘cause Ralf hasn’t had enough time and not enough matches, but his xG is literally .01 better than Ole this season, but we’re not counting Ole before this season ‘cause he was better then, and also Ralf has 10 players leaving, but they weren’t leaving when he arrived in December, but doesn’t matter ‘cause Ralf speaks the truth, the players are shit, they downtooled ‘cause they are fat and lazy, but Ralf can’t be accountable for Ole’s mess, he’s a brilliant manager, he’s won tons of trophies, wait no he hasn’t cause he’s a DoF, but he never had to make the CL anyway for him to be good for the club, but wait, the board came out and said we should make Europe, and Ralf has given us his report, we need 10 players ‘cause our squad is useless.

‘Did I get it right? Wow, I need a nap. Defending Ralf is exhausting.

madzo2007

Such a whiner,, this Rangnick. He clearly has no interest in or empathy with the team and its players.To appoint him as coach was one of the gravest mistakes United board have committed.

I worry for Ten Hag. I hope he does not turn out to be all talk and no substance like this fraud.
If Rangnick is whiner, what are our players? Why should he show them empathy when they have got various managers the sack over the years and don't like hard work or to be told the hard truth.

Berbaclass

Except results haven’t improved. But wait, now I remember, results aren’t important ‘cause Ralf hasn’t had enough time and not enough matches, but his xG is literally .01 better than Ole this season, but we’re not counting Ole before this season ‘cause he was better then, and also Ralf has 10 players leaving, but they weren’t leaving when he arrived in December, but doesn’t matter ‘cause Ralf speaks the truth, the players are shit, they downtooled ‘cause they are fat and lazy, but Ralf can’t be accountable for Ole’s mess, he’s a brilliant manager, he’s won tons of trophies, wait no he hasn’t cause he’s a DoF, but he never had to make the CL anyway for him to be good for the club, but wait, the board came out and said we should make Europe, and Ralf has given us his report, we need 10 players ‘cause our squad is useless.

‘Did I get it right? Wow, I need a nap. Defending Ralf is exhausting.
No

RepardReece

One thing I noticed on this was how high up our forwards sit considering how little we actually press. If we're not going to press, the front three and Bruno should really be sitting much deeper. This is what Rangnick did instruct as he mentioned post-match, but the players continue to leave so much space as they did under Ole. It does just highlight more how our players are the main issue.

It's quite easy to see a bit more of an attempted structure with RR over OGS, but as per that video, the players quickly dissolve that structure during the games.

Zen86

You really do. A guy who has overperformed broadly at RB, Hoffenheim, Shalke with a very identifiable brand of football. Comes to United with 10+ players leaving in 6 months, no vested interest to get injured overworking, would rather collect a paycheck and a broken squad thanks to his predecessor, no transfers of his own to work with and no pre season.

But yeah sure, lets just take this 6 months and override all of his other managerial performances because you know, banter. Honestly how must your brain function, it's just beyond me at this stage.
This pseudo-intellectual act of yours isn’t fooling anyone, so you can save the patronising comments.

But anyway, the above is simply a bunch of excuses for a man who’s clearly out of his depth at a club the size of Manchester United.

Status
Not open for further replies.