Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mav_9me

Apologies if it’s already been asked, but what are the chances of RR playing some of the younger players? Does he have a record of it from other setups, or will he go for a more experienced set of players?

I mean, if he’s going to move into a (hopefully) influential role after the next half season, then I assume he’ll know who is going to be surplus, and probably wouldn’t waste time playing folks that aren’t going to be sticking around.

I’d just love to see a little bit of Amad and Hannibal when they’re back from injury.
Me too. This season would be a success to me even if we don't win anything if we are able to establish one of Amad, Hannibal or Elanga in the team.

Btw both have returned from injury if I'm not mistaken. Hannibal played against Villarreal in U19 UEFA and Amad has been playing U23

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
I think people are worried that he won't have the authority to implement his vision if he's only an advisor. As you say, people don't know much about how "football works", it's not at all clear who is making decisions at the club and who's vision is at the center of our overall strategy. It seems we don't have one. Is our DOF the right sort of person to implement gengenpressing?

Obviously the club isn't worried about my feelings, perhaps the advisory roll is left vague in case the experiment doesn't work.
The DOF isn't the one supposed to implement something like that himself, he is the one bringing the people that will do it, Murtough is an analytics man, that has worked as a head of recruitment and a head of development. On paper he is perfect for the DOF role, he has the kind of background that you rarely see from a new DOF, unlike most he has experience in the other key roles that are under his responsibilty. He could fail for other reasons such as failing to take the right decision at the right time but his profile shouldn't be questioned.
And the reason things aren't necessarily clear regarding Rangnick potential role is simply because the club is still restructuring, we do not have existing roles that just need to be filled, he could also be the link between the board of executives and the DOF which isn't really something that has a clear label but exists in sport. I also want to say that it's not uncommon either for a while Cruyff was an advisor at Ajax, same with Nedved at Juventus, Zidane at Real Madrid, Lacombe at Lyon(in this case he was the most important person outside of Aulas) and others.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Me too. This season would be a success to me even if we don't win anything if we are able to establish one of Amad, Hannibal or Elanga in the team.

Btw both have returned from injury if I'm not mistaken. Hannibal played against Villarreal in U19 UEFA and Amad has been playing U23
Hannibal is in Qatar in preparation for the Arab Cup with his national team.

mav_9me

True :lol:

But I'm not gonna lie, he sounds a bit rubbish based on your description. I reckon most the hype surrounding this guy is because he wears glasses. There wouldn't be half the interest If he was a fat bald guy from Didsbury.

Remove the specs, remove the hype.
I am no expert. I read the whole thread and here is some info.
  • Managed Ulm and took them from 2nd division to 5th place in Bundesliga
  • Runners up with Schalke after that.
  • Took Hoffenheim from 3rd division to 7th in Bundesliga in consecutive seasons
  • Took over Red Bull footballing structure, revamped and has established RB Salzburg and Leipzig as elite clubs
  • This one was interesting for me, one of the seasons at RB Leipzig, he took over from Hassenhuttl after he left and improved their defense next season with GA going from 50s to 20s.
  • A lot of coaches got their breaks or were influenced by him, including Tuchel, Nagelsman, Rose, Adi Hutter, Jessie Marsch and am sure am missing others.
Apologies for mistakes. I'm sure there are. As I said a lot of this is stuff I've learnt from this thread.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
The DOF isn't the one supposed to implement something like that himself, he is the one bringing the people that will do it, Murtough is an analytics man, that has worked as a head of recruitment and a head of development. On paper he is perfect for the DOF role, he has the kind of background that you rarely see from a new DOF, unlike most he has experience in the other key roles that are under his responsibilty. He could fail for other reasons such as failing to take the right decision at the right time but his profile shouldn't be questioned.
And the reason things aren't necessarily clear regarding Rangnick potential role is simply because the club is still restructuring, we do not have existing roles that just need to be filled, he could also be the link between the board of executives and the DOF which isn't really something that has a clear label but exists in sport. I also want to say that it's not uncommon either for a while Cruyff was an advisor at Ajax, same with Nedved at Juventus, Zidane at Real Madrid, Lacombe at Lyon(in this case he was the most important person outside of Aulas) and others.
Good post JP, and I think you could be correct, and I'm thinking the same. The below quotes are from the latest piece from Paul Hirst, and it seems like Rangnick is gonna take a similar role to the one you've described, starting in June next year.

Paul Hirst: "Conscious of Rangnick’s desire for a long-term association with United, Ed Woodward, the executive vice- chairman, has told the German that he will play a part in picking the manager who will take charge beyond the end of the season. Woodward has also promised Rangnick that he will be given the role of senior football adviser, on a two-year contract, in June".

"In that role, Rangnick will be expected to revitalise the club and refine a structure that can transform United into an “elite operation” sources said".

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...terim-manager-in-next-48-hours-frdsdtplf?s=09

mav_9me

Good post JP, and I think you could be correct, and I'm thinking the same. The below quotes are from the latest piece from Paul Hirst, and it seems like Rangnick is gonna take a similar role to the one you've described, starting in June next year.

Paul Hirst: "Conscious of Rangnick’s desire for a long-term association with United, Ed Woodward, the executive vice- chairman, has told the German that he will play a part in picking the manager who will take charge beyond the end of the season. Woodward has also promised Rangnick that he will be given the role of senior football adviser, on a two-year contract, in June".

"In that role, Rangnick will be expected to revitalise the club and refine a structure that can transform United into an “elite operation” sources said".

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...terim-manager-in-next-48-hours-frdsdtplf?s=09
Unfortunately I see a lot as empty words. We shall see. If he leaves prematurely in those 2 yrs it would be obvious we didn't want to listen to him. But as of now they appear to be on the right path.

JPB

You can't just randomly expect the players to suddenly have the stamina to press hard when they've not been specifically training for it.
He'll probably need Pep's special doctor and a batch of his best steroids to get our lazy players running.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I wonder what Rangnick thinks of Ten Hag and Pochettino...

Would love to know who he thinks are the best young managers in the world.
He called Pochettino one of the most exciting coaches in Europe recently.

UnsungHero

Monitoring the preparation of the Vidal bid
Somewhat bizarre seeing repeated posts from certain people (mainly fans of other clubs) saying he's not all that.

He's here as an interim manager, to try and rally the squad and introduce a new style of play we can build on for the future. His style is perfectly fine, it has been the foundation for modern football in many areas. He's a great manager, however you spin it. Not Klopp/Pep level, but certainly the next best thing, and more experienced in some ways too. Our fans would prefer we play more like Liverpool than Man City, and that's what we're getting.

Beyond that, and most critically, it's the consultancy side of things people are excited about. He'll likely be acting as a de facto Director of Football for at least a couple of years. This is what Man Utd have been in dire need of for a long time. Rangnick is the best in the world at this.

This is without a doubt the most significant development for us since SAF retired. I for one am delighted.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
  • Took over Red Bull footballing structure, revamped and has established RB Salzburg and Leipzig as elite clubs
  • This one was interesting for me, one of the seasons at RB Leipzig, he took over from Hassenhuttl after he left and improved their defense next season with GA going from 50s to 20s.
  • A lot of coaches got their breaks or were influenced by him, including Tuchel, Nagelsman, Rose, Adi Hutter, Jessie Marsch and am sure am missing others.
Apologies for mistakes. I'm sure there are. As I said a lot of this is stuff I've learnt from this thread.
I kinda knew most of that already, but I appreciate the gesture all the same dude.

I'm sending a hug your way for the effort. It's pixelated, but hey, it's the internet, the feck do you want from me.

mav_9me

I kinda knew most of that already, but I appreciate the gesture all the same dude.

I'm sending a hug your way for the effort. It's pixelated, but hey, it's the internet, the feck do you want from me.
NFT? Thanks.

UTD_Since_1978

Has he even been seen getting on a plane to Manchester yet?

How many matches in to his UTD career will it take for the players to play his way for the full 90 minutes?

peridigm

What is the correct pronunciation of his name?
A) Ran-yick
B) Rang-nick
C) Ran-ga-nick
D) Rag-nick

minoo-utd

We have to be taught a lesson from what we have seen in recent years, we always get carried away with a signing a player and or managers and every time it was fired back. It’s yes unusual decision to have a guy like that as a manager and part of decision makers but all I see is LVG era cliché I wish I am totally wrong though.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
How many matches in to his UTD career will it take for the players to play his way for the full 90 minutes?
Who knows? A lot still depends on the players.
However Rangnick will do his best.
Rangnick loves the PL. I do think it's a good move for United. But for him it's a dream move.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Saw a Liverpool fan on a YouTube comment say it won't matter as United are not fit enough.

I disagree, United under Ole were very fit and I attribute a lot of those second half comebacks to the fact it players were very fit.

Also, pressing isn't headless chasing for 90 minutes, it's meant to be controlled and timed to happen in very specific game situations

JPRouve

Scout
Saw a Liverpool fan on a YouTube comment say it won't matter as United are not fit enough.

I disagree, United under Ole were very fit and I attribute a lot of those second half comebacks to the fact it players were very fit.

Also, pressing isn't headless chasing for 90 minutes, it's meant to be controlled and timed to happen in very specific game situations
Untied weren't very fit under Ole, when we tried to play with the intensity Rangnick wants players got injured or couldn't sustain it for more than 60 minutes. Since United have been at the bottom of all "efforts" stats whether we are talking about sprints, pressures or distance covered.

GaryLifo

Untied weren't very fit under Ole, when we tried to play with the intensity Rangnick wants players got injured or couldn't sustain it for more than 60 minutes. Since United have been at the bottom of all "efforts" stats whether we are talking about sprints, pressures or distance covered.
Not last season we weren't. This season has been a shit show, but all those comebacks last season were during the second half

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

More to do with the players barely moving much in the first 70 mins in most games.

There's a reason why our players are often lowest in the league in terms of sprints and distance covered.

GaryLifo

More to do with the players barely moving much in the first 70 mins in most games.

There's a reason why our players are often lowest in the league in terms of sprints and distance covered.
I don't think this was true last season. We finished 2nd. I'm not having it the players weren't fit last season.

Ole had to go, this isn't an Ole should have stayed argument. It's one suggesting that our fitness too play a pressing style isn't as bad as people think.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

It will take little time for us to get used to Rangnick style of play. Till then both players and manager have to find a solution to get results.

We wont change overnight. Nobody should expect instant results

JPRouve

Scout
Not last season we weren't. This season has been a shit show, but all those comebacks last season were during the second half
During the 19/20 and 20/21 season we were bottom half in distances covered, iirc in 19/20 we were bottom half in sprints but 3rd in 20/21 and in terms of pressures we were bottom third in 19/20 and 20/21.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Now the Power Rangers Megazord is near completion :
Head : Rangnick, Richard Arnold
Body : The next manager
Arms : Murtough, Fletcher (maybe)
Legs : Coaching staffs
Cock, bollocks and arse : glazers

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
can interim managers make changes to the squad? Will he be allowed to sign/sell players in January?

JanK

Supports
Napoli

I am a huge fan. It's criminal how many fans cannot understand the value of this appointment.

For me, reading the caf and seeing that Ralf is set to be appointed as an interim, was totally out of the blue. I never expected to board to be that competent. This actually shows that something has changed there and it's super promising. That now this club is actually willing to develop and rapidly, the expectations aren't top4 and let's see what happens, but something more. The idea of become a powerhouse again football-wise is superb. Now I don't care who is appointed in summer, because I 100 % back Ralf. It's like you going to tier 1 medical doctor's appointment and they say that you need to do x or y. You just trust and do. That's it. No doubt at all.

HailtotheKing

Yup and as well as making leipzig the lowest conceded goals in the Bundesliga after Hassenhuttl, he simultaneously improved their goals for as well. Pretty damn impressive!

SouthernRedDev

I'm quite excited about getting this guy into the club, it seems that he is quite an analytical person, I get the impression that he is the sort that will leave no stone unturned and will help restructure the club from the ground up. I'm hopeful that he will have quite a free role in getting the correct people into the appropriate roles. From the interim role I'm not sure what too expect from a 6 month position, but I'm sure he will be solid enough and hope he will make our players more adaptable.

Status
Not open for further replies.