Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndySmith1990

It'll be interesting to see if the people arguing against choosing Poch, change their view if we hire him after being recommended by Rangnick.

However if Ten Hag is the second coming of Klopp as many believe, that should mean he'll at least be in consideration.

captaincantona

People are not going overboard enough in my opinion. None of us are 13 years olds just waiting on the next league win to brag to out mates. We watch Utd week in week out and see the absolute shit show we have become...even before this season...slow tumescent zombie passing and half arsed Utd wannabe imitator players talking the talk but not walking the walk...the club run by people who know more about the most profitable noodle sponsors in south east Asia than they do about basic footballing principles...we are a laughing stock among top teams in Europe and every team we play now fancies their chances. We are dying on our feet for all to see...

This guy is world renowned for structure, for detail, for systematic reform. There is no one in world football with his profile full stop and while a club like Chelsea may only need an excellent coach to maximise their foundations...we need a fuking root and branch approach. So all those who think we should not be going over the top...name one other person in world football that could step in as a coach and apply a sustainable and proven structure and philosophy and the stick around afterwards to ensure that Infrastructure around the club continues to support that direction of travel?

He is very unique and an unbelievable fit for what this whole club needs...fair play to Arnold and Murtough et al for acknowledging their limitations and biting the bullet. They saw the issues and they have gotten probably the only guy on the planet that could kill these two birds with one stone (interim boss and then consultant on how to build a sustainable footballing model in the modern game).

Corridor of Uncertainty

I hope that report suggesting players are annoyed over not being consulted regarding the Rangnick appointment is nonsense. Unfortunately, it probably rings true.

A few things. Far too many players have had it far too comfortable here, for far too long. Never mind being consulted, is their real concern they'll now have to start collectively putting in real shifts on both the training pitch and in matches? The lazy display over the last 12 months (maybe stretching back further) won't wash from now on.

If they're not happy with this new way of working, show them the door in the summer. Rangnick will separate the wheat from the chaff very quickly and will redistribute the balance of player power at the club that is in no way beneficial and holding us back for years.

Winging bastards.

Last edited:

Keyser

I think some fans are still a bit delusional about where we are right now

Yes we need someone to challenge Tuchel, Pep and Klopp.... eventually

Right now we need to be organised enough to beat Watford, Villa etc

I think he can achieve that in 6 months and then work with the new manager who will kick us on

Beans

Supports
Neutral
We already have a DOF, that's the person that brought him, Murtough.
That does ring a bell now that you mention it... I thought it was just a dream.

The vagueness of an "advisory roll" concerns me, what do you make of that? Is there some other set of letters we could put in front of his name other than DOF to keep him around more permanently and give him more authority than being an advisor?

Does seem strange that such an innovator is in Moscow, you'd think he'd have gone you some big club after RBL.

Hughie77

This is all pretty laughable. What's so ambitious about hiring a 60+ year old guy who has never worked at a top club? Who has never won a title but a single German Cup with Schalke? How come that's the extent of his career if he's such a messiah of football wisdom? Is Man United's aspiration to run like the well-oiled, unstoppable winning machines that are RasenBallsport Leipzig or TSG Hoffenheim?
As where to understand he's in for rest of the season! Not a 6 year contract, like Moyes had, and then moved to a consultant role! That role could well be to pick the new Manager? So his age has nothing to do with it. Jose multiple winner,LVG same that didn't work either, so whats the answer then? Seems you don't know I don't know, UTD may have made another cockup, it remains to be seen.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers
I feel very excited about Ralf's appointment. I don't care what doubts people have about Ronaldo, Maguire, AVB, etc. Ralf is more than qualified to assess the team. I don't expect any signings in January, but there might be a couple sold.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
I feel very excited about Ralf's appointment. I don't care what doubts people have about Ronaldo, Maguire, AVB, etc. Ralf is more than qualified to assess the team. I don't expect any signings in January, but there might be a couple sold.
Is he though? His credentials (or lack of) don't exactly inspire much in the way of confidence. It's not like the top clubs in Europe are lining up to bring him in.

I know very little about the guy admittedly, maybe he's the second coming or something like many in this thread believe. Who knows.

I'd be a lot happier with Ten Hag or even Poch in the summer.

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
People are not going overboard enough in my opinion. None of us are 13 years olds just waiting on the next league win to brag to out mates. We watch Utd week in week out and see the absolute shit show we have become...even before this season...slow tumescent zombie passing and half arsed Utd wannabe imitator players talking the talk but not walking the walk...the club run by people who know more about the most profitable noodle sponsors in south east Asia than they do about basic footballing principles...we are a laughing stock among top teams in Europe and every team we play now fancies their chances. We are dying on our feet for all to see...

This guy is world renowned for structure, for detail, for systematic reform. There is no one in world football with his profile full stop and while a club like Chelsea may only need an excellent coach to maximise their foundations...we need a fuking root and branch approach. So all those who think we should not be going over the top...name one other person in world football that could step in as a coach and apply a sustainable and proven structure and philosophy and the stick around afterwards to ensure that Infrastructure around the club continues to support that direction of travel?

He is very unique and an unbelievable fit for what this whole club needs...fair play to Arnold and Murtough et al for acknowledging their limitations and biting the bullet. They saw the issues and they have gotten probably the only guy on the planet that could kill these two birds with one stone (interim boss and then consultant on how to build a sustainable footballing model in the modern game).
Well said.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
The fact that he rejected the initial contract then signed on after the two year consultancy deal gives me confidence that he got reassurances about the role he would play in the future and the authority he would have. We need football people making football decisions.

UnitedSofa

You'll Never Walk Away
Is he though? His credentials (or lack of) don't exactly inspire much in the way of confidence. It's not like the top clubs in Europe are lining up to bring him in.

I know very little about the guy admittedly, maybe he's the second coming or something like many in this thread believe. Who knows.

Chelsea. Arsenal. Spurs all have been after him in the past

JanK

Supports
Napoli

Its seems that you are just a lazy poster who is barely trying to understand who and what type of appointment we have done with Rangnick.

Top clubs have been trying to bring him in, but he wants quite a lot freedom which clubs are afraid to give.

He doesn't need to have a second coming, he is just an interim who will be advisor after the end of the season. He is not a maybe-permanent manager.

Summer appointment is definitely an exciting one, as he does the picking himself. He knows football by heart, so to say.

angak

"Little bit of pressing is like little bit of pregnant, you're either pregnant or not." Ralf Ragnick

I loved this quote from the video, Ralf wont tolerate any half assed effort or 'bluffers' as Keano calls it.
Greate quote ! The big elephant in the room is how does Ronaldo fit into this ? From what I've seen he doesn't look like he has the legs to press hard for 90mins. He also doesn't like coming off at any time and will kick a fuss even if he subbed off late in the game.

smi11ie

Not a philogynist
Supports
Rangers

I think he likes Poch so I expect Poch will join in summer. I think Utd brought him in as a kind of footballing CEO. Woodward and the new guy are just commercial guys dealing with TV rights and sponsorships. Utd's footballing department (amazing to have to say this) needs direction and Ralf seems well qualified to me.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Its seems that you are just a lazy poster who is barely trying to understand who and what type of appointment we have done with Rangnick.

Top clubs have been trying to bring him in, but he wants quite a lot freedom which clubs are afraid to give.

He doesn't need to have a second coming, he is just an interim who will be advisor after the end of the season. He is not a maybe-permanent manager.

Summer appointment is definitely an exciting one, as he does the picking himself. He knows football by heart, so to say.
True :lol:

But I'm not gonna lie, he sounds a bit rubbish based on your description. I reckon most the hype surrounding this guy is because he wears glasses. There wouldn't be half the interest If he was a fat bald guy from Didsbury.

Remove the specs, remove the hype.

BigRon1985

Sounds a disciplinarian - just what this team needs after their mate running things the past 3 years......

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
That does ring a bell now that you mention it... I thought it was just a dream.

The vagueness of an "advisory roll" concerns me, what do you make of that? Is there some other set of letters we could put in front of his name other than DOF to keep him around more permanently and give him more authority than being an advisor?

Does seem strange that such an innovator is in Moscow, you'd think he'd have gone you some big club after RBL.
I don't really make anything of it, the name of a role is meaningless, I don't really get why people are focused on something that shallow. And no it's not strange that someone like him would end in strange places, people seem to not realize that it is not how Football works, Football clubs and in particular big football clubs work within close circles, they don't bring outsiders that easily and they don't bring people from all around the world at executive level. Most people don't know and never heard of key executives at big clubs, some get in the news for a reason or an other but most stay behind the scene. Also a big club that is already structured and functions well doesn't need someone with Rangnick's profile.

Acquire Me

This forum does surprise me, constantly in awe of teams like Chelsea & Liverpool. Saying we should be more like them.

We sign the man that the coaches of those teams learned off of & are in awe of when talking about him & we’re like:

“Nah not convinced, not won anything, not good enough, will be another LVG”

Like literally the coaches of Liverpool/ Chelsea learned off this man & you’re not convinced?!?!?
It is easy this one. It’s just wum and it’s the only thing it ever was.

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
Greate quote ! The big elephant in the room is how does Ronaldo fit into this ? From what I've seen he doesn't look like he has the legs to press hard for 90mins. He also doesn't like coming off at any time and will kick a fuss even if he subbed off late in the game.
I think Ronaldo will be ok this season, his contribution this season so far has been undeniable for even the most cynical. I don't think he will start him in every single game though which is common sense anyway. Ron is a passionate guy and a winner, a good coach will harness that. Ragnick did sign Raul at Schalke too, so using a legendary veteran is not outside his philosophy I think.

JPRouve

Scout

The other one is Bielsa but he hasn't worked in that manner in a very long time. Otherwise he is one of the few people in Football that knows deeply every level of the Football side, from scouting, players development, coach development, managing a youth team and managing a senior team. I don't have any other name for that particular profile.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
Hopefully he'll bring about t change to the way things are done here. I can't believe how fate has handed us this opportunity considering how willing we were to settle for the known quantity of Pochettino.

KjaAnd

This forum does surprise me, constantly in awe of teams like Chelsea & Liverpool. Saying we should be more like them.

We sign the man that the coaches of those teams learned off of & are in awe of when talking about him & we’re like:

“Nah not convinced, not won anything, not good enough, will be another LVG”

Like literally the coaches of Liverpool/ Chelsea learned off this man & you’re not convinced?!?!?
This. There's obviously no guarantee he will succeed but getting the man who basically invented the kind of football most of us admire on board is an incredibly sane thing for our board to do.

stw2022

At least he’s capable. Preparation for the first match isn’t going to be saying to the players “Nevermind the fancy stuff lads, just win. See you Saturday”

MrSingh2002

I wonder what Rangnick thinks of Ten Hag and Pochettino...

Would love to know who he thinks are the best young managers in the world.

JPRouve

Scout
I wonder what Rangnick thinks of Ten Hag and Pochettino...

Would love to know who he thinks are the best young managers in the world.
He probably likes both. At his best Pochettino's team played as one unit with every players understanding their roles and the same is true for ten Hag.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
I don't really make anything of it, the name of a role is meaningless, I don't really get why people are focused on something that shallow. And no it's not strange that someone like him would end in strange places, people seem to not realize that it is not how Football works, Football clubs and in particular big football clubs work within close circles, they don't bring outsiders that easily and they don't bring people from all around the world at executive level. Most people don't know and never heard of key executives at big clubs, some get in the news for a reason or an other but most stay behind the scene. Also a big club that is already structured and functions well doesn't need someone with Rangnick's profile.
I think people are worried that he won't have the authority to implement his vision if he's only an advisor. As you say, people don't know much about how "football works", it's not at all clear who is making decisions at the club and who's vision is at the center of our overall strategy. It seems we don't have one. Is our DOF the right sort of person to implement gengenpressing?

Obviously the club isn't worried about my feelings, perhaps the advisory roll is left vague in case the experiment doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.