Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crossy1686

career ending
This just in, the manager United actually want isn’t available this summer.

But seriously, another year of Ralf and a complete clear out gets a thumbs up from me

Gordon Godot

This just in, the manager United actually want isn’t available this summer.

But seriously, another year of Ralf and a complete clear out gets a thumbs up from me
How about we get in a promising young manager (ETH) and make Ralf DoF, so we have a proper football structure to build for the future. One that can cope with changes in manager and prioritises youth. Just a thought

crossy1686

career ending
How about we get in a promising young manager (ETH) and make Ralf DoF, so we have a proper football structure to build for the future. One that can cope with changes in manager and prioritises youth. Just a thought
Because maybe what we want and what Ten Hag wants are two completely separate things? Have you ever thought he might want to do another year in Ajax and assess his options properly at that point?

But I would like to see Ralf move to a DOF position at some point.

macheda14

Cheers! I see Arsenal are off to Dubai but I guess its safe not to travel now with high infection rates everywhere.
Yeah I think there was an issue regarding players on international break / injuries and a few unvaccinated. Rangnick seemed to insinuate he would only be able to take 2/3rds of the squad. So might as well stay in UK.

goptun

Because maybe what we want and what Ten Hag wants are two completely separate things? Have you ever thought he might want to do another year in Ajax and assess his options properly at that point?

But I would like to see Ralf move to a DOF position at some point.
Ten Hag has been vocal about being ready to move on. He did a press conference literally last month saying he was ready for the next challenge. If anything, this is the best chance we've got of getting him, before the likes of Pep, Klopp and Tuchel move on (or are inevitably sacked, as in Tuchel's case).

Mainoldo

I don't want him given the permanent job but this is an unfair stick to beat him with. He can only pick from the squad available to him, and this transition to heavy metal high pressing football isn't going to happen without time and the right players who understand and comply with his methods. He'll need a couple of transfer windows to truly build a side in his vision. The same can also be said for the next manager. Ten Hag won't exactly have us playing like his Ajax side with our current batch of players.
They play that way because that’s who he has decided to play. It’s like saying I lack creativity but I still persist with Rashford and Greenwood. You only lack creativity because of who you have selected. That’s not transition that’s just simple selection.

My aim isn’t for this team to run faster than they do now. That’s what the last manager tried to win us over with. We have to look for what players he uses to implement his tactics and so far he has failed. So if he fails to see that why should we trust him with resources to fix that going forward?

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
If he stayed on longer as the manager you would run the risk of losing him all together if the results went sour in season 2.

I think it better to have Ralf select the next manager and move upstairs and sort that mess out.
Absolutely this, stick with the plan. Ralfs best work was always as an upstairs guy and has never lasted long anywhere as a manager with huge pressure and expectation. This was always the worry that after a run of good results we would start to hear all this 'ask him to pick a number and hand him the pen to sign' rubbish from pundits etc. Woodward might fall for that but it will be a test of progress if they can stick to the original plan and ideally land Ten Hag.

crossy1686

career ending
Ten Hag has been vocal about being ready to move on. He did a press conference literally last month saying he was ready for the next challenge. If anything, this is the best chance we've got of getting him, before the likes of Pep, Klopp and Tuchel move on (or are inevitably sacked, as in Tuchel's case).
We don't have the structure in place for Ten Hag to succeed anyway unless Ralf moves upstairs. Liverpool and Chelsea don't either. There's only City that offer him the best chance of success and that only if Pep and his whole gang don't leave at the same time.

Football is so much bigger than the manager these days, and if we continue to feck around from appointment to appointment we'll continue to sit around scratching our arse and wondering where we're going wrong. There's not a manager in world football that can fix us in less than 5 years on his own.

goptun

We don't have the structure in place for Ten Hag to succeed anyway unless Ralf moves upstairs. Liverpool and Chelsea don't either. There's only City that offer him the best chance of success and that only if Pep and his whole gang don't leave at the same time.

Football is so much bigger than the manager these days, and if we continue to feck around from appointment to appointment we'll continue to sit around scratching our arse and wondering where we're going wrong. There's not a manager in world football that can fix us in less than 5 years on his own.
Hm, not sure I buy that. Klopp managed to fix a pretty squalid Liverpool, as did Tuchel at Chelsea. We have a very good squad (despite what most on here would have you believe), with lots of the deadwood being out of contract in the summer/wanting out. This is probably the best time for an ambitious, talented manager to come in and make this side his own. On the bolded, that is exactly what would happen if we got Ten Hag, so not sure I understand your point? It has the potential to be a fantastic transition. Rangnick will already be acutely aware of what this squad needs and will be able to advise Ten Hag accordingly, so he isn't undertaking the job blindly.

Kaos

They play that way because that’s who he has decided to play. It’s like saying I lack creativity but I still persist with Rashford and Greenwood. You only lack creativity because of who you have selected. That’s not transition that’s just simple selection.

My aim isn’t for this team to run faster than they do now. That’s what the last manager tried to win us over with. We have to look for what players he uses to implement his tactics and so far he has failed. So if he fails to see that why should we trust him with resources to fix that going forward?
Then which players would you pick to transform us into this creative, high pressing machine? I've not been a fan of a lot of our selections, but what alternatives do we have in the squad? Most our young players outside of Elanga aren't good enough or ready enough to step up, and our remaining squad players are pretty meh.

C'est Moi Cantona

So Ralf can't do too badly so that he gets sacked before the end of the season and not be given the chance to do what he he really came here for, or too well so that he will be asked to do the job full time.

I'd say scraping 4th place, and not winning a cup ought to just about get us to stick to the plan.

GreatDane

I get that Ten Hag is a fairly new name that's gone global but the man is 51, not really young.

Caesar2290

I get that Ten Hag is a fairly new name that's gone global but the man is 51, not really young.
I never got this objection. So what if he is 51? He started managing in 2015. He has 6 years of top flight management experience. Compare that to people like Klopp who's been managing for 21 years or Conte who already has 15 years under his belt. He is relative young and up and coming manger.

For reference, SAF was only 5 years younger when he joined us. 51 years in management is still young.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Hey Ralf, we like what you’re doing, we might keep you on for another year but you’re still not getting a midfielder.
It's like one of those gameshow challenges: You can be first team coach full-time. But only if you win the Champions League without strengthening midfield.

Good luck! :lol:

hungrywing

"Sources claim Ralf Rangnick is interested to see if The Manchester United Board can point to a picture of Amadou Haidara out of a line up. Of other footballers."

Ralf Rangnick is also totally not grateful to Jesse Lingard for not showing him how to effectively conceal his identity while directing criticism at a second third party.

GreatDane

I never got this objection. So what if he is 51? He started managing in 2015. He has 6 years of top flight management experience. Compare that to people like Klopp who's been managing for 21 years or Conte who already has 15 years under his belt. He is relative young and up and coming manger.

For reference, SAF was only 5 years younger when he joined us. 51 years in management is still young.
Oh, I don't think he's old and I'm certainly not objecting to him, I hope we get him.
I just can't see him as a 'young manager'. Bayerns Naglelsmann is a young manager.

frutti di mare

Not giving it to Ralf Rangnick might end up being something the club regrets this time next year… and ironically if the 2 year consultancy thing is true it’s probably him who’ll come back again.

frutti di mare

Give ten hag a go. If it goes horribly slot Ralfy back in. Simples.
If under Rangnick we continue to progress and maintain results why would we not give it to him longer term? We’re in the position where for the first time we can give it to someone based on none emotional purely footballing reasons after seeing how he develops the team, how he’s coaching improves the players, if he gets results , and if he’s style of play is beneficial. If by the end of the season it’s positive why would we throw it away?

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Maybe we will have Ralf kept within the United organisation as the permanent temporary manager whenever we sack our managers.

Big Dunc Ralf ala Everton.

minoo-utd

Is this because our last performance against West ham? Because apart from that we didn’t show anything obvious to consider him as a permanent manager. I mean board should just stick to the plan and bring in a more successful and experienced manager. Yes Ralf did okay and he has his own idea which I respect but I doubt that his main job is managing.

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City
Why not wait till Tuchel gets sacked, and get him?

Beans

Supports
Neutral
If under Rangnick we continue to progress and maintain results why would we not give it to him longer term? We’re in the position where for the first time we can give it to someone based on none emotional purely footballing reasons after seeing how he develops the team, how he’s coaching improves the players, if he gets results , and if he’s style of play is beneficial. If by the end of the season it’s positive why would we throw it away?
I think because Ralf would bring in someone who sees things the same was he does, so Ralf can spend more time doing work behind the scenes.

I think it’s already been decided or the club would never have announced it as a 6 month contract with 2 years consultancy. Clearly we expect him to only be needed to finish this season, I think Ten Hag wasn’t willing to leave mid season.

Greck

I think because Ralf would bring in someone who sees things the same was he does, so Ralf can spend more time doing work behind the scenes.

I think it’s already been decided or the club would never have announced it as a 6 month contract with 2 years consultancy. Clearly we expect him to only be needed to finish this season, I think Ten Hag wasn’t willing to leave mid season.
In one of Ralf's first interviews he said he might convince the board to give him the permanent manager job so him getting too attached his a danger we have to be cautious of. Our fans and board certainly seem to be doing so.

I mean he's doing well and putting his doubters to shame but damn slow down with the long term talk. People are also deluded if they think he'll just get it for one year, they'll give him the full 5 year special with one year renewal. Good luck telling him to be permanent but to only stay 1 year. We need to stick to the original plan.

NZT-One

I hope we keep him (providing he produces the results, which I think he will) as I am not particularly excited by any of the names we are linked with and more good coaches will be available after the World Cup. Plus it seems daft to bring a manager with such a style of play for only six months, by the time the players fully understand it the season will be over and a new style implemented. I’m sure the new manager would bring some continuity of style rather than the 180 turn we have done after every previous manager change but I’d rather see Ralf given the chance to finish what he started, at least for one full season.
I think, you mention a good point here and one, that for me is the most essential: all depends on who is identified as the ideal manager to take on Man United. If Ten Haag is Nr. 1, go for him. But if it is somebody else, potentially someone who right now is tied on another project, we might be able to cover the time with Ralf. I don't see any harm in him staying as long as it is for a greater course. Would hate for him to give the permanent job just because currently everybody seems to be pleased with what he is doing. I mean, I would kind of get it but it would again be taking the easy route. Something we did a little too long now for my liking.

wise_old_man

Put it this way: I wouldn't want Rangnick to take a permanent manager role even if we somehow fluked the Champions League.
We finally have a plan after God-knows-how long. Why not stick with it for once?

Long Time Red

Because any half competent manager would have improved us from the previous shitshow.

If he can get us to pass out from the back competently and press well so the games against Liverpool, City and Chelsea are 50/50 games then perhaps he deserves the job but he's done nothing so far to suggest he would be better than Ten Hag or Pochettino.

Mac1997

Very disappointed that there are lots of rumours around saying that the board are impressed with Ralf. Pray to god he doesn't get offered the job permanently he has been pretty awful so far.

frutti di mare

Very disappointed that there are lots of rumours around saying that the board are impressed with Ralf. Pray to god he doesn't get offered the job permanently he has been pretty awful so far.
Did you fall asleep in May 2013 and
wake up in November 2021?

Kaos

Awful? He's not exactly been pulling up trees, but 17 points out of 24 in the league, and 7 goals conceded in 10 games hardly suggests he's been an awful appointment, not forgetting he's working with the same group of players who have mostly been terrible all season. Are you forgetting how bad we were prior to hiring him?

git_united

Could just be a tactic to scare the players into buying in or fecking off?
This is what I was thinking ... 4d chess to give the interim manager more power. Because it's obviously waaaaaaay too early to make any judgments about whether he should get the job. Let him get through 19 league games first at least.

lex talionis

“Awful” overstates the point. Ralf has actually done a very decent job, starting with cleaning up our defensive woes.

But you’re right to get on your knees and pray that Ralf doesn’t get the job permanently. He was hired to do the job of steadying the ship and he’s done that, but he’s not the man to bring the ship into the harbor for trophy celebrations.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me the board or Glazers are messing up by not going for a player this window.

It would have been good to see what a Rangnick player would be like at United.

Now we might even give him a further year as manager by extending his contract - without knowing how wuality his ability is to spot talent for a club like United.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
I have no problem in Ragnick becoming permanent manager, if he does exceptionally well between now and the end of the season. Though we absolutely shouldn’t be making any hasty decisions line we did with Ole.

Status
Not open for further replies.