Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

USREDEVIL

If under Rangnick we continue to progress and maintain results why would we not give it to him longer term? We’re in the position where for the first time we can give it to someone based on none emotional purely footballing reasons after seeing how he develops the team, how he’s coaching improves the players, if he gets results , and if he’s style of play is beneficial. If by the end of the season it’s positive why would we throw it away?
Two reasons:
1) he's not an accomplished manager, more of a tactician and DOF (from what i know, i could be wrong)
2) if he's making progress and getting results, i fully expect a proper manager like Ten Hag to make even more progress and better results

frutti di mare

Two reasons:
1) he's not an accomplished manager, more of a tactician and DOF (from what i know, i could be wrong)
2) if he's making progress and getting results, i fully expect a proper manager like Ten Hag to make even more progress and better results
I think you’re argument is pretty shortsighted from a footballing point.

Imagine if Arsenal, way back in 96 or whatever, had hired Wenger as an interim. I’m sure many Arsenal fans would have been saying the same thing… great but get a “proper manager” in the summer hire Lippi, Sachi, LVG or whoever else was the name at the time maybe Keegan?

But the thing is Rangnick has achieved greater footballing feats than Ten Hag, on a pound for pound level. So to not call him a “proper manager” is pretty misguided. Yes he’s achieved them at smaller clubs but we’re in the position where we can see how he handles a big club without committing long term first. If he passes the test then why throw it away?

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
“Awful” overstates the point. Ralf has actually done a very decent job, starting with cleaning up our defensive woes.

But you’re right to get on your knees and pray that Ralf doesn’t get the job permanently. He was hired to do the job of steadying the ship and he’s done that, but he’s not the man to bring the ship into the harbor for trophy celebrations.

With the absolute mess made by LVG, Mourinho, OGS, Woodward, you are years behind City and Liverpool. If Ralf stayed one or two more years, with his full coaching team and you were to then get Enrique, Nagelsmann, maybe Tuchel, I’d say that was a very good move.

OGS’s “cultural reboot” was a lot of nonsense and it wasn’t true that he’d left the club in a better state than he found it, not significantly so anyway. I’m not sure United are ready for Ten Hag yet. I think he’s a great coach but would need support and could get swallowed up if he was hired now.

Ralf seems like the ideal man to do the dirty work: Cut the squad, stop indulging players’ “feelings”, sign and bring through young players, stop renewing dead-wood, have players get used to double training sessions.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
With the absolute mess made by LVG, Mourinho, OGS, Woodward, you are years behind City and Liverpool. If Ralf stayed one or two more years, with his full coaching team and you were to then get Enrique, Nagelsmann, maybe Tuchel, I’d say that was a very good move.

OGS’s “cultural reboot” was a lot of nonsense and it wasn’t true that he’d left the club in a better state than he found it, not significantly so anyway. I’m not sure United are ready for Ten Hag yet. I think he’s a great coach but would need support and could get swallowed up if he was hired now.

Ralf seems like the ideal man to do the dirty work: Cut the squad, stop indulging players’ “feelings”, sign and bring through young players, stop renewing dead-wood, have players get used to double training sessions.
I agree.

lex talionis

I take your point well, but I’m of the view that United cannot afford to wait 2-3 years before a manager of the caliber of Ten Hag takes over. The table will be set in May for a proper manager to is from where are now to where we must be.

mu4c_20le

It's really weird how you are just regurgitating what other people are saying on this forum. Why pretend to be a Blackburn fan?

mu4c_20le

This is what I was thinking ... 4d chess to give the interim manager more power. Because it's obviously waaaaaaay too early to make any judgments about whether he should get the job. Let him get through 19 league games first at least.

Welcome to 5d chess then

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
It's really weird how you are just regurgitating what other people are saying on this forum. Why pretend to be a Blackburn fan?
Haha. Why would I “pretend” to be a Blackburn fan?I spend a lot more time on BRFCS than here. It would be a lot easier not to bother. Live abroad for the last 15 years and every United game is on TV so I’ve got (my own) opinion on United.

Not just me, a lot of people outside of United find it interesting how weirdly your club has been run for the last 8 years. Personally, I wish United luck because I hate Liverpool and filthy City.

Last edited:

Waynne

The club is making a big mistake by keeping this guy for only 6 months. You couldn't lay any sort of foundation in that period of time.

RedCurry

If he does well this season and ETH is available next season, I would still go for the Dutchman. There’s no other manager that get me much excited I must say. RR can become our permanent caretaker manager. Whenever we have a managerial change he comes in.

hobbers

:lol:

If that Sun article has any truth it's literally history repeating itself.

Keep an underqualified interim coach on to placate Pogba, and then he can take home £450k a week for feck all return. Much more important to have someone who will baby Pogba than hire a top class coach. Ole proved that.

Greck

Oh brother, ETH or not, Rangnick shouldn't be elevated to permanent manager. The ETH thing is even starting to resemble the Sancho wank festival that was here for 2 years. We'll be fine without, I'm sure many haven't even seen more than a couple Non-CL ajax games in the last few years.

Pochettino will be fine and if he flops we do what everyone else does and sack him. Stop getting overly attached to the name. That unwillingness to burn through managers has probably held us back. Who knows? we might even have found a winning manager by now if we stopped getting attached.

copen1945

If that Sun article has any truth it's literally history repeating itself.

Keep an underqualified interim coach on to placate Pogba, and then he can take home £450k a week for feck all return. Much more important to have someone who will baby Pogba than hire a top class coach. Ole proved that.
Only United can fire a manager, bring on an interim, and have the interim following the path that was set by the manager who was sacked. The season has come full circle.

passing-wind

Ragnick should in no way shape or form be given the permanent role. If his next role is within the clubs hierarchy he will have a bigger influence there than compared to being the manager.

It's a wise move to get a manager who in some ways corresponds with the intended direction the club have long term.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

Welcome to 5d chess then
Looks like Pogba isn’t getting the kind of offers he expected he would on the open market. He’s been angling towards signing a new deal ever since the start of the season with one report after another. This is just hilarious that he’s been convinced by a manager he hasn’t even played under.

SonyaCross493

I'm slightly disappointed Rangnick didn't take the squad to a different warmer country for warm weather training like a lot of the other Premier League teams are savvy doing during this 2 week winter break.

I thought one of the major problems identified in this team was the poor fitness levels hence why they tank and gas out so easily like against Aston Villa for example. So working on building that up in high altitude weather training would be a good thing.

Who knows if it would any difference to getting Top 4. But I thought "The Professor" would have took this team away to warmer climates to work on building fitness levels almost like a mini pre-seasom.

Conte is famous for his rigorously physically-demanding double training sessions for example.. I just thought Rangnick would be just as demanding and meticulous of the players after witnessing the poor fitness levels of the squad since taking over because Ole's training sessions apparently wasn't very demanding. But giving them all 2-week holidays seems a bit of an unimaginative-Ole move caving in to the players.. I guess time will tell and we will see if it works or not and if it does I'll hold my hands up and say I was wrong.. I just expected more especially when you see a lot of our Top 4 rivals doing warm weather training during this 2-week break.

I guess it's one of those things that if we get Top 4 nobody mentions but if we don't get Top 4 people will mention as a mistake. When in reality it probably doesn't matter much and might only give you 1% more. I'm sure Rangnick has his reasons.

The attack definitely needs work as I feel he's worked on the defence and keeping clean sheets which isn't a problem anymore but now the attack needs fixing.. I want to see us start to batter team 3-4 nill. That requires working in groups on the training pitch to build the chemistry/fluidity of the attack and try to make the likes of Rashford and Greenwood less greedy to creating more chances for players in higher % positions to score a goal. That's why I was hoping he took the squad away to Dubai or America to work on the attack specifically these 2 weeks as just because we have won a few games doesn't mean everything is right now. The attack looks like strangers to each other at times.. I don't see how sending the whole squad away individually for 2 week holiday improves that? Yes he can send them individual instructions but you also need to build chemistry/fluidity on the training pitch.

And also to build team bonding away from the pitch away in a different country helps. Like do these players play FIFA together or anything?! Pool? Golf together? I know Sir Alex Ferguson when he was manager did team building things like that regularly with the group. To raise morale but also build rapport and chemistry amongst the squad as they have to work together. Rangnick should take them all to Laser Tag or something.

Last edited:
I'm slightly disappointed Rangnick didn't take the team to a different warmer country for warm weather training like a lot of the other Premier League teams are doing.

I thought one of the major problems identified in this team was the poor fitness levels hence why they tank and gas out so easily like against Aston Villa for example. So working on building that up in high altitude weather training would be a good thing.
Which teams have travelled to high altitude? :lol:

wolvored

Looks like Pogba isn’t getting the kind of offers he expected he would on the open market. He’s been angling towards signing a new deal ever since the start of the season with one report after another. This is just hilarious that he’s been convinced by a manager he hasn’t even played under.
Smack on. You would surely have heard that Pogba had have a deal in place by now if 2=3 teams were after him. The club should offer 250k a week no more. If they do cave in and make him highest player with what looks like no competition, then they really haven't changed a thing and we will be doomed.

Ixion

It's always about what Pogba wants. What if the club decides they're not gonna extend his contract anyway?
Pretty sure this club makes its decisions based on how many social media followers players have, how big a "brand" they are, if they can help get sponsors etc. so they would absolutely extend it

Greck

Pogba doesn't really have options. One of the things about paying high wages is you get zero competition for your players. These players have already adapted their cost of living to their current wage, leaving the club would be like moving into a studio apartment. The paycut they'd take would be significant, new wages would be a literal fraction of the old. I hope Lingard has been saving up.

UncleBob

Pogba doesn't really have options. One of the things about paying high wages is you get zero competition for your players. These players have already adapted their cost of living to their current wage, leaving the club would be like moving into a studio apartment. The paycut they'd take would be significant, new wages would be a literal fraction of the old. I hope Lingard has been saving up.
:lol: That's some interesting bollox.

Pogba and Lingard will be getting substantial sign on fees due to being out of contract. It's not like Lingards wages are insanely high either, it would be a surprise if he ends up on lower wages. Neither will have much to worry about, unless they're complete morons and spend whatever they're earning.

Greck

:lol: That's some interesting bollox.

Pogba and Lingard will be getting substantial sign on fees due to being out of contract. It's not like Lingards wages are insanely high either, it would be a surprise if he ends up on lower wages. Neither will have much to worry about, unless they're complete morons and spend whatever they're earning.
What part is bollocks? The fact that no one wants a paycut after getting used to a certain standard of living? because that's common feckin sense for anyone that has ever earned a paycheck. Yeah what an outlandish theory that totally defies common sense. You know what's foolish? thinking sign on fees exist for every signing and when they do they are always enough to offset what the player was previously earning. Why do you think they want us to pay their wages to leave? Because the other club can rarely ever cover what we're paying and the players don't want to give up the difference in current earnings. If Pogba can't find someone to pay him in the stratosphere of what we pay he'll be compelled to revisit our offer.

added edit Lingard also earns more than the PL average and way above his worth. If you think he's going to get the same as what we pay then send your dealer's number asap because I too want to see life as optimistic as you do. Financially we are objectively amongst the best employers in world football. This is without even factoring private player sponsorship deals that come with the reach and exposure we give these players. Not everyone is like C.Ronaldo. Leaving United will be a sizable financial dent to most of our players.

Last edited:

UncleBob

What part is bollocks? The fact that no one wants a paycut after getting used to a certain standard of living? because that's common feckin sense for anyone that has ever earned a paycheck. Yeah what an outlandish theory that totally defies common sense. You know what's foolish? thinking sign on fees exist for every signing and when they do they are always enough to offset what the player was previously earning. Why do you think they want us to pay their wages to leave? Because the other club can rarely ever cover what we're paying and the players don't want to give up the difference in current earnings. If Pogba can't find someone to pay him in the stratosphere of what we pay he'll be compelled to revisit our offer.

added edit Lingard also earns more than the PL average and way above his worth. If you think he's going to get the same as what we pay then send your dealer's number asap because I too want to see life as optimistic as you do. Financially we are objectively amongst the best employers in world football. This is without even factoring private player sponsorship deals that come with the reach and exposure we give these players. Not everyone is like C.Ronaldo. Leaving United will be a sizable financial dent to most of our players.
You just keep going...You're confusing your personal opinion with facts. It's hardly unknown that we pay our players too much money, doesn't mean that some of the better players we have are unlikely to sort out a move where they will get similar wages. Accepting differences in standard wages, bonuses etc is fairly standard when changing company. It's not like anyone really wants less money, but depending on the overall situation it's hardly a showstopper, also depends on how loaded you are. Furthermore, i specifically mentioned Pogba and Lingard in relation to sign on fees, it was hardly a claim that everyone gets it, can't be that difficult to understand the difference in claims. Lingard is a proven player, he was also excellent for West Ham during his loan spell, his reported £100k weekly wages is unlikely to be that much of a stumbling block for the clubs interested in him, but even if they don't want to fork it out we're hardly talking about a significant drop, especially considering he'll be getting a sign on fee.

Not sure why you've decided to pretend that Pogba is facing a massive drop in wages by changing clubs, or that it's going to have a massive negative effect on his personal deals that he's fecking to Real Madrid, Juventus or another top club, to the point that it's not economically feasible for him.

We're hardly talking about the likes of Phil Jones, Bailly, Romero, Rojo, who were never going to find a new club that would be anywhere near ours in quality or in terms of wages, we're talking about two specific players. Lingard will obviously not find a club as good, but quality wise he's not on obscene wages either, Pogba is either way going to a better club than ours.

Greck

You just keep going...You're confusing your personal opinion with facts. It's hardly unknown that we pay our players too much money, doesn't mean that some of the better players we have are unlikely to sort out a move where they will get similar wages. Accepting differences in standard wages, bonuses etc is fairly standard when changing company. It's not like anyone really wants less money, but depending on the overall situation it's hardly a showstopper, also depends on how loaded you are. Furthermore, i specifically mentioned Pogba and Lingard in relation to sign on fees, it was hardly a claim that everyone gets it, can't be that difficult to understand the difference in claims. Lingard is a proven player, he was also excellent for West Ham during his loan spell, his reported £100k weekly wages is unlikely to be that much of a stumbling block for the clubs interested in him, but even if they don't want to fork it out we're hardly talking about a significant drop, especially considering he'll be getting a sign on fee.

Not sure why you've decided to pretend that Pogba is facing a massive drop in wages by changing clubs, or that it's going to have a massive negative effect on his personal deals that he's fecking to Real Madrid, Juventus or another top club, to the point that it's not economically feasible for him.

We're hardly talking about the likes of Phil Jones, Bailly, Romero, Rojo, who were never going to find a new club that would be anywhere near ours in quality or in terms of wages, we're talking about two specific players. Lingard will obviously not find a club as good, but quality wise he's not on obscene wages either, Pogba is either way going to a better club than ours.
Talk about confusing opinion with fact. All of this is personal opinion and conjecture about what these players are going to receive at their next clubs. I mean who told you Lingard is receiving a signing on fee on his next deal? Has his agent negotiated it? how much is it? He's going to lose for sure because he's going to a lesser poorer club. West ham only has about 2 players making six figures, it is absolutely a big deal for the lower clubs. They wouldn't be loaning players if they just had that kind of cash.

Then Pogba hasn't gotten a new club, if he and Raiola found any takers he would be one foot out the door. It's not even likely anyone will offer him what we're reportedly offering. We make up half of every top earners table in the PL. We probably have the highest earning starting XI with several players on par with other team's best earners. If you think another club is going to easily match that for Pogba then I don't know what to tell you. Let's see it happen, shall we. If he was hot commodity it would be so easy to sell him already. We'd have been flooring bids from teams that don't want to have to compete for his signature on the open market.

UncleBob

Talk about confusing opinion with fact. All of this is personal opinion and conjecture about what these players are going to receive at their next clubs. I mean who told you Lingard is receiving a signing on fee on his next deal? Has his agent negotiated it? how much is it? He's going to lose for sure because he's going to a lesser poorer club. West ham only has about 2 players making six figures, it is absolutely a big deal for the lower clubs. They wouldn't be loaning players if they just had that kind of cash.

Then Pogba hasn't gotten a new club, if he and Raiola found any takers he would be one foot out the door. It's not even likely anyone will offer him what we're reportedly offering. We make up half of every top earners table in the PL. We probably have the highest earning starting XI with several players on par with other team's best earners. If you think another club is going to easily match that for Pogba then I don't know what to tell you. Let's see it happen, shall we. If he was hot commodity it would be so easy to sell him already. We'd have been flooring bids from teams that don't want to have to compete for his signature on the open market.

Mint

Lingard has turned down contract offers and rejected any further talks of extensions at United, massive surprise given that Greck on the internet has concluded it's not economically feasible for Lingard to potentially earn less money somewhere else.

We don't know what Pogba has sorted out and what he hasn't sorted out, just because his next destination isn't announced it doesn't mean that it's not already decided. In terms of hot commodity and selling, why would anyone pay large transfer sums for a player that is about to leave on a free transfer. Real Madrid are hardly lining up for something as daft as that after their Hazard fiasco.

Not entirely sure why you find it so complicated to stick to what i'm actually writing. What i wrote:

How you translated it:

If you think another club is going to easily match that for Pogba then I don't know what to tell you.

There's a bit of a fecking difference between "massive drop in wages and commercial income to the point it's not economically feasible" and "easily matching that".

Greck

Mint

Lingard has turned down contract offers and rejected any further talks of extensions at United, massive surprise given that Greck on the internet has concluded it's not economically feasible for Lingard to potentially earn less money somewhere else.

We don't know what Pogba has sorted out and what he hasn't sorted out, just because his next destination isn't announced it doesn't mean that it's not already decided. In terms of hot commodity and selling, why would anyone pay large transfer sums for a player that is about to leave on a free transfer. Real Madrid are hardly lining up for something as daft as that after their Hazard fiasco.

Not entirely sure why you find it so complicated to stick to what i'm actually writing. What i wrote:

How you translated it:

If you think another club is going to easily match that for Pogba then I don't know what to tell you.

There's a bit of a fecking difference between "massive drop in wages and commercial income to the point it's not economically feasible" and "easily matching that".
Oh brother, another one spamming emojis when he isn't confident in himself. I said our players don't want to take a paycut because no one does, eg the episode we just had with Martial's move. I've also used Lingard and Pogba as examples who will undoubtedly have to face the unappealing choice to take less if they want to leave us this summer. You can go discuss the exact economic feasibility with their accountants. The sentiment is not that deep. Take your advice and stick to what you're replying. Jeez, "Economic feasibility" for players yet to even agree these next contracts. One would need to see exactly what their next contracts land them before talking feasibility specifics.

edit if you're saying what your posts imply I'm not even sure your point even runs contrary to mine. Maybe read what you're replying and give it a think before doing so. If you did you'd realise how foolish this is as both points can actually coexist. One says he would have to take a significant financial hit to leave another says he may still leave regardless, an open possibility. What are we actually doing here?

Last edited:

Moriarty

Pretty sure this club makes its decisions based on how many social media followers players have, how big a "brand" they are, if they can help get sponsors etc. so they would absolutely extend it
S'right. Commercial success is our priority and we've done a pretty remarkable job exploiting every angle. I'm not saying they board doesn't want trophies and titles, they'd be insane not to, but our relative lack of success on the pitch and managerial turmoil doesn't seem to have brought about a radical restructuring of the business model. If a player can generate more than his salary in image rights, sponsorship, and advertising, it makes good sense to keep them.

allen7

He’s doing right many things. Got lot of our loan deals correctly unlike previous seasons.

Caesar2290

I think Ralf is already working his magic as our DoF assistant whilist being a manager.

Not sure if he came up with it, but loaning out our fringe players without a clause to buy is a risky but good idea.

The logic is if you have an option to buy, you limit your demand, but if you leave the door open you risk on missing out on a sale, yet at the same time you might provoke a bidding war.

A good strategy for players to increase their value, keep them happy with some game time and also get them off our bench.

Even players like Jones are being pushed out on loan. Considering he has 1.5 years left on his contract I'm fairly certain it's a move to put him out into the transfer window.

frutti di mare

I think Ralf is already working his magic as our DoF assistant whilist being a manager.

Not sure if he came up with it, but loaning out our fringe players without a clause to buy is a risky but good idea.

The logic is if you have an option to buy, you limit your demand, but if you leave the door open you risk on missing out on a sale, yet at the same time you might provoke a bidding war.

A good strategy for players to increase their value, keep them happy with some game time and also get them off our bench.

Even players like Jones are being pushed out on loan. Considering he has 1.5 years left on his contract I'm fairly certain it's a move to put him out into the transfer window.
Depends on the player.
Lingard, Jones, et Al you’d want an option or obligation to buy.

Players like Martial/VDB we wouldn’t want buy clause because they might still have futures at United, ok maybe not Martial as he’s had countless opportunities but definitely VDB or as you say their value might increase.

Of course Amad we don’t want to sell and is on loan for development, a bit sad that we haven’t given him more chances.

Caesar2290

Depends on the player.
Lingard, Jones, et Al you’d want an option or obligation to buy.

Players like Martial/VDB we wouldn’t want buy clause because they might still have futures at United, ok maybe not Martial as he’s had countless opportunities but definitely VDB or as you say their value might increase.

Of course Amad we don’t want to sell and is on loan for development, a bit sad that we haven’t given him more chances.
It's a shame about Amad though. Atalanta wanted him back on loan when we first bought him and we said no, only for him to rot on the bench all this time.

frutti di mare

It's a shame about Amad though. Atalanta wanted him back on loan when we first bought him and we said no, only for him to rot on the bench all this time.
Yeah. I thought us saying no was a sign that he’d be given minutes and allowed to develop especially considering how highly rated he is.. ultimately Dan James played more.

Stgun

Will be fully on board with him if he manage to sell Luke Shaw and AWB. I think they are our obvious weakness in our backline

Bestietom

Well said, but these high wages work both ways in We can't get rid of players that we don't want because of there high wages. ( Sanchez) Also I would rather players play for the badge

Status
Not open for further replies.