Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I second the Carl Anka bit
He’s awful. Always coming out with this contrived pseudo-analysis of the game. A few months ago he was pushing this idea that OGS football/training philosophy was called “finding the spaces”, as though that isn’t just the whole point of football. His articles are really poor too. Have to say, though, I think Seb Stafford-Bloor might wind me up even more. Don’t listen to Tifo much but he’s on BT Sport’s podcast and he boils my pi$s!

Red the Bear

Something less generic
What a mess he's walked into, hopefully he'll steady the ship as he does seem to be up for it, he'll forever have every United fans gratitude f he steers us out this hole we've digged for ourselves. I trust his judgment .

mu4c_20le

Can't wait to hear his thoughts on this. Probably the last decent and honest man in the league.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Can't wait to hear his thoughts on this. Probably the last decent and honest man in the league.
What?

If you're referring to the Greenwood incident he'll just make a canned statement like "there's an ongoing investigation, the club doesn't condone domestic violence and that's all I can say"

Red Rash

I think when he is asked about this in the next press conference he will give a pretty standard answer about how it's being investigated internally and how United don't condone violence. I don't think there is much else he can say unless there is more evidence before then

Mike Smalling

Club likely to feed him the "pending police investigation and no comment" line I bet.
Which would be quite right as well. It's not his job to say more than that. As cynical as it might sound, he needs to focus on getting the remaining players ready to win their next game. Saying more than the bare minimum to the press will not help.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
He wasn’t joking about wanting a smaller squad.

Interesting that Ralf has decided we don’t need VDB, even when it means playing Matic.

I like that’s he’s brought Bruno into a midfield 3, though for about 12 months Bruno was as good as anyone in the world on the attack as a no.10. But this team can’t play with two midfielders, we need him to support defense more.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Poor Ralf certainly ain’t getting an easy ride here at Utd that’s for sure.
The more difficulties he faces and overcomes the bigger his legend will become if he actually wins something.

Might sound harsh, but as the United job for him is all about his legacy he needs obstacles that everyone can see to pull it off.

He'll be unbearable if this all works out for him and @Hansi Fick will be furious about that.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
The more difficulties he faces and overcomes the bigger his legend will become if he actually wins something.

Might sound harsh, but as the United job for him is all about his legacy he needs obstacles that everyone can see to pull it off.

He'll be unbearable if this all works out for him and @Hansi Fick will be furious about that.
I wouldn't. Just as I wouldn't be "furious" to see a pig fly :D

Mike Smalling

I'm not saying Ole has a great record or anything, but that is an overly negative way of looking at it. Ighalo is gone because he was a short term cover, who actually did quite well. The jury is very much still out on Pellistri and Amad - they could become first teamers. Sancho has started slow, but has bags of potential. James was a low risk bet, who wasn't good enough, but we recovered most of the fee if reports are to be believed.

Van de Beek and Wan-Bissaka are the real stinkers, with Maguire not far behind.

laughtersassassin

I'm not saying Ole has a great record or anything, but that is an overly negative way of looking at it. Ighalo is gone because he was a short term cover, who actually did quite well. The jury is very much still out on Pellistri and Amad - they could become first teamers. Sancho has started slow, but has bags of potential. James was a low risk bet, who wasn't good enough, but we recovered most of the fee if reports are to be believed.

Van de Beek and Wan-Bissaka are the real stinkers, with Maguire not far behind.
Whatever way you look at it it was not a good use of the transfer windows. We are no better off and by the summer we will probably be worse off with so many incomings needed.

Mike Smalling

Whatever way you look at it it was not a good use of the transfer windows. We are no better off and by the summer we will probably be worse off with so many incomings needed.
That's certainly hard to disagree with. I just think saying 'Ighalo: Gone' and 'Pellistri/Amad: Loaned' implying those are failures seen in isolation is wrong.

arthurka

Poor guy needs to be cut some slack here. Maybe we should consider getting a player in this window we look to become very thin indeed.

Hansi Fick

Supports
FC Bayern
Luckhurst is tweeting some dumb shit when the day is long, isn't he. Also, which of our posters is Luckhurst? 100% he is on here.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Luckhurst is tweeting some dumb shit when the day is long, isn't he. Also, which of our posters is Luckhurst? 100% he is on here.
He's so annoyingly opinionated.

That said, his tweet about Ole being shit with transfers isn't wide off the mark.

sugar_kane

Could say that about LVG and Mourinho's signings too, what's his point? That our club is a shit show? Big exclusive there, Samuel.

Re: Ralf, I wasn't sure at all at first but the football has got (very slowly) better and he gets massive respect from me for making the Ronaldo sub and his subsequent handling of it. Since he was straight back into the line up the following game with no drama, it felt like he was sending a message to the whole dressing room. Like when you go to prison and you're meant to pick a fight with the biggest guy there... (so I hear)

He seems to have the right temperament from what I can see - absolutely not a pushover or afraid to speak his mind, but unlike LVG seems very level headed and unlike Mourinho seems very fair.

He can operate without loads of pressure right now as he's only in the job til the end of the season, so can upset a few people along the way which is absolutely what is required to sort out the dressing room and the hierachy above him.

I have full faith in him handling this Greenwood catastrophe well given how he's navigated most of the tricky situations so far this season.

copen1945

Tactics, formations, and other pretty things are nice, but he should just concentrate on producing a commited display from the players. Especially for the next match, the results don't really matter much.

Daengophile

Because any half competent manager would have improved us from the previous shitshow.

If he can get us to pass out from the back competently and press well so the games against Liverpool, City and Chelsea are 50/50 games then perhaps he deserves the job but he's done nothing so far to suggest he would be better than Ten Hag or Pochettino.
So... When you say "improved us" what exactly do you mean?

Greck

So... When you say "improved us" what exactly do you mean?
Not languishing in 8th place. Rangnick has done a stellar job stabilizing us from a position we should have never been in the first place but that doesn't mean he's worthy of long term stay as manager. That's the same stupidity that got us here.

Ixion

I look forward to Ole-cultists coming out with something like "he inherited a potential title winning squad and broke it up within 2 months of arriving"

Daengophile

Not languishing in 8th place. Rangnick has done a stellar job stabilizing us from a position we should have never been in the first place but that doesn't mean he's worthy of long term stay as manager. That's the same stupidity that got us here.
There are clear signs of improvement.

Win rate
Goals conceded
Keeping the play in opposition half
Player improvement
Using the squad

As other managers have shown, it all takes time

Greck

There are clear signs of improvement.

Win rate
Goals conceded
Keeping the play in opposition half
Player improvement
Using the squad

As other managers have shown, it all takes time
what does that have to do with the subject of conversation? the original premise already contains an acknowledgement of improvements.

If his point is time and improvements don't entitle an interim to the permanent manager job then coming back with "but there are clear improvements" is taking us back to square zero. Yes we know there are improvements, and...?

Last edited:

mctrials23

We will see whether this window has been an absolute disaster or not in the coming weeks/months. We have lost 2 of our biggest potential game changers in Greenwood and Martial but the rest I couldn't care too much less about.

It remains to be seen what Pogba we will see when he comes back and how effective he will be under RR but I think that will literally make or break our top 4 chances.

RatPack

Guess it was the perfect transfer window for RR.
If he makes top 4 now he will be seen as a magician of a manager.
If he does not make top 4 then the fault will be on the missing backing during the transfer window. No one can be expected to do more. All great teams has minimum one great CDM. We almost don't have just one bad CDM.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
I can see a world where Ralf is supportive of the moves and lack thereof in January. He's planning on being here another two seasons, presumably has a rough idea of what squad he wants from each window, and decided to wait til the summer. That's understandable if that's what happpened.

If he comes out and says I identified 3 players to fill our gaps and we didn't buy any of them for reasons, things are a lot bleaker.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I can see a world where Ralf is supportive of the moves and lack thereof in January. He's planning on being here another two seasons, presumably has a rough idea of what squad he wants from each window, and decided to wait til the summer. That's understandable if that's what happpened.

If he comes out and says I identified 3 players to fill our gaps and we didn't buy any of them for reasons, things are a lot bleaker.
He was happy for Lingard to get his move, so will be baffled it didn't happen.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He was happy for Lingard to get his move, so will be baffled it didn't happen.
I don't think he's baffled. He's likely indifferent.

Rangnick didnt try to turf Lingard out, the reports suggest Lingard went to Ralf to ask for the green light in order to push it through, which Ralf didn't have an issue with.

If Lingard stays I don't think Ralf will feel any hard done by.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
I don't think he's baffled. He's likely indifferent.

Rangnick didnt try to turf Lingard out, the reports suggest Lingard went to Ralf to ask for the green light in order to push it through, which Ralf didn't have an issue with.

If Lingard stays I don't think Ralf will feel any hard done by.
I wonder if he will now use Lingard.

yamo123x

He will use Lingard now, he is the Greenwood replacement until end of season.

Still hoping the Greenwood issue ends positively, it doesnt look good, but there are always 2 sides to every story.

Status
Not open for further replies.