Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VinzentFTW

Supports
Liverpool
Finally we can be Manchester United again, and not Manchester Divided :)

Dante

Average bang
This is Rangnick's most used formation in 2018-19 (his last season as a manager):

If he goes down this route with United, it could give a new lease of life to Pogba. Might make Sancho's life a bit more difficult though.

That being said, I don't trust Pogba's ability to press.

It's going to be interesting to see what direction RR takes the club.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Are we becoming be a serious football?

Finally, something to become excited about. Let's go.

Some of our resident German experts were not impressed by him? Care to offer a view what they make of this?

Last edited:

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Definitely! Having him there to move things in the right direction and start laying the groundwork, approaching things in a holistic manner with an eye on the future will be really beneficial, as opposed to having someone come in to see out the season who could be fundamentally different in their approach and disconnected to the permanent manager who follows them, and would probably be focusing on their 6 months rather than having a vision past that.

Yeah he will definitely be useful in playing a role in choosing the manager, he's obviously been very influential for many of the current generation of managers and will have a very good insight for United to rely on. Have you got a preference at this point?

It will be interesting, I sometimes wondered if it was tactical but then seeing Cavani's incredible workrate when he'd be next to Rashford I was a lot less sure about it being a tactical thing. I think if they commit to it, especially Rashford still only 24 and Greenwood and Sancho being very young, these players who are already very talented could go up a level and this United side could be a pretty fantastic watch
I think more than 50% of caf would say ten Hag as preference for next manager. I hope we will go for him. I like Poch also but given the choice it would be ten Hag.

Who do you think is better suited for Manutd?

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Ronaldo is a consummate professional, if he physically can or believe that he can press intensely, he will. His ego isn't misplaced or selfish.

Syphon Wallet

Does anyone know if he's ever had a McFred in midfield?
He might not understand they are just one player.

fallengt

Hey look,

I like the appointment, but looking at his history - what has the guy actually won? Great playing attractive high pressure football but if he's not won anything then do his tactics actually work?
some people already explained it in this thread. Rangnick is more of a builder & philosopher than head coach, which is why he's perfect for interim manager & consultant job. It's all about babystep into right direction, which is why we should have realistic expectations this season.
In fact, club had wanted Rangnick for a while so this is good news that we've finally committed to modernize United's structure.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
you do understand he's going to be here for two more years after right? he's the right hand man now to Murtough, if he's says get rid of player A because he has first hand experience with him, than they can get rid of player A.
Exactly. They need to impress, because down the line he could have a big influence on who goes and who stays for the next manager.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
This is Rangnick's most used formation in 2018-19 (his last season as a manager):

If he goes down this route with United, it could give a new lease of life to Pogba. Might make Sancho's life a bit more difficult though.

That being said, I don't trust Pogba's ability to press.

It's going to be interesting to see what direction RR takes the club.
Interesting that. I think Sancho could well play as one of the two behind the strikers. Like Pogba, Donny and Bruno.

We really need a new midfielder in January!

Longshanks

Interesting times ahead, probably the most favourable of the interim options must of been to difficult to get poch out of PSG.

If he gets us pressing properly than who knows what may happen this season.

Nick7

Funny, considering that he was the one who chose Rangnick.

In case of Woody, he always went with the obvious choice: LVG, Mourinho, even Ole permanent. In this case, he seems to have defered to Murtough.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind Woody continuing to stay here, as long as he does not intervene in football decisions and defers to Murtough/Rangnick. He can focus on getting the newest noodle sponsor, and he seems to be decent at it.
Murtough went on a Rangnick scouting mission two years ago. That other guys post is hilarious to be honest. Just sticking every British name into it with no rhyme or reason.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Ronaldo is a consummate professional, if he physically can or believe that he can press intensely, he will. His ego isn't misplaced or selfish.
it will be interesting

you would think considering Ragnicks preferences Cavani would be a far better type for his style

Revan

Assumptionman
He is also a big winner, and we saw him not downing the tools even under the worst manager he ever played. He is gonna try his best, especially if it looks that Rangnick tactics are working.

Now, can he actually press efficiently at 37 is something that remains to be seen.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
If he believes that it will give him the best chance of personal and team accolades then I have no doubt that he’d give pressing a good go.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
He'd fit perfectly into what Rangnick can start here. Much more so than Poch.
The big question is whether this is a serious appointment or window dressing like Poch is at PSG.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Hopefully they'll give him actual power rather than listen and mostly ignore his ideas. But we'll see at the end of his 6 months stint.

He won't stay if Woodward and his cronies do as they've always done - protect their mates jobs.

The acid test for me is over on RAWK they're genuinely disappointed at this.

They're gutted we sacked Ole and worried Ragnick signals the end of SAF pulling the strings and our pursuit of Poch.

Wezzaldo

Interesting that. I think Sancho could well play as one of the two behind the strikers. Like Pogba, Donny and Bruno.

We really need a new midfielder in January!
Just what I was thinking, he could play the Sabitzer position. He certainly works hard enough and has the creativity in transition.

Torbalan

Amazing news, but I don't see the likes of Ronaldo and Pogba working hard on the pitch.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
He is also a big winner, and we saw him not downing the tools even under the worst manager he ever played. He is gonna try his best, especially if it looks that Rangnick tactics are working.

Now, can he actually press efficiently at 37 is something that remains to be seen.
If he believes that it will give him the best chance of personal and team accolades then I have no doubt that he’d give pressing a good go.
Let's be honest too. He's no ordinary 37 year old physically.

The White Pele

Sounds a good move. Glad that he will stay on after the interim period - that’s the key. We need someone with good footballing ideas at the club long-term to shape our entire football operation.

It also breaks the cycle of flipping from one idea to the other. We are basically back in the Moyes to LVG stage of the cycle: abandoning the “United way”/romance approach and going for someone with strong football ideas and identity. The difference this time is we will hopefully keep him around and select the best manager to take that approach forwards rather than abandon it in search of a silver bullet.

The question I have is out of Poch and Ten Hag, which would Rangnick favour?

Kaos

So who do you think he'll pinpoint as potential signings in January? You'd think a midfielder would be of paramount importance, possibly a RB too as I wouldn't expect him to be satisfied with AWB as a starter.

cyberman

Exactly. The new manager should be able to work with the world class attackers then he’s a poor choice for interim

Paxi

I’d say Ronaldo could do it very well at 37 since he has a natural instinct for what’s going to happen. He can smell danger very well and thus I believe it would make him an effective presser.

TheReligion

Abusive
@GE why are you saying get rid of Murtagh and Fletcher when they are the ones that have seemingly interviewed and picked Rangnick and agreed to him staying on upstairs?

IrishRedDevil

He rejected Chelsea in January.

The 2 year consultancy role sealed the deal. So happy that he stuck firm with his demands.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
Players like Ronaldo, Rashford, Greenwood, Martial should be very, very worried.

Nick7

He doesn’t even need to press intensely. Just having him in the right position to cut off passing lanes can help a lot.

el3mel

Sure but they've also just sacked Ole and at least reversed that decision.
We also had a really good summer in the transfer market. No club or ownership gets everything perfect but it's ok to accept that the running of the club is getting better and better.
You said that we're judging the club based on what happened 5 years ago when we were judging based on them still pulling out such stupid decision 5 months ago.

Idxomer

Sancho is very good running through the middle.

Revan

Assumptionman
So who do you think he'll pinpoint as potential signings in January? You'd think a midfielder would be of paramount importance, possibly a RB too as I wouldn't expect him to be satisfied with AWB as a starter.
I would be surprised if we can guess this. After a decade, I am excited again to see us signing players that are not obvious and who don't cost 50m+.

I could easily see Ragnick signing some cheap players who turn out to be good. He did this in his entire career.

Finally, we can have our Robinsons and Matips who would not cost 100m.

Paxi

Let's be honest too. He's no ordinary 37 year old physically.
He’s certainly not. It’s not like he’s absolutely blowing by 70th minute. Of course he’s not as explosive but that’s not be all and end all to pressing.

Status
Not open for further replies.